New fitness thread!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

20 min. run yesterday evening. Nice and slow, tomorrow is race day.

<---- Smoke-free for one year today.

ATTENTION: RECALL! RECALL! FDA Recall on Dietary Supplements http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm188929.htm <http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm188929.htm> Boise, ID - November 3, 2009 As p

Posted Images

2.5 mile strength/speed hybrid workout. Planned workout from Nike+ called "My Best 10K." Basically a 5 min. easy warmup, 1 minute of lunges, then 20 minutes of brutal speed intervals before a nice 5 min. cooldown.

Color me slow -- in the last interval I was hitting about the 7:40 min./mile pace, and while I was in control and in no danger of falling, I was pretty close to puking. When I think of elite runners maintaining a pace 3 min./mile faster over a full marathon, it boggles my mind.

Another bad day. 4.8 miles in just under an hour. Legs felt like cement for the first mile and after gutting through that (thinking I'd loosen up and it would get better) I just had no stamina left. Walked too much, but I did kick it in on the final stretch, so I feel better than I otherwise would have. I'm going to make next week a light, easy week (probably 3 short, easy runs) and then see if I can do 6 miles next Saturday.

Thanks! Solid 30 min. run today. Another 5K PR at 25:55. 3.57 miles total.

Supposed to be an easy day, and the crazy thing is I really didn't push it. I just set a nice comfortable pace and until about the 22 min. mark or so I wasn't really struggling. At that point, I knew 3.1 was approaching fast enough that I maintained the pace until then and then jogged in after that.

On vacation in Hawaii right now, not much fitness going on. But just as something to keep me semi in shape I'll usually do 30 push ups 30 scissor kicks (sets of 3) before I go in the water. The good news is getting my tan on is making me look more cut up......or at least i think so ha

5.75 miles in 1:07:31. Felt pretty good, but had to take 2 walk breaks, which was a bit disappointing. Had trouble regulating my pace because I rely too much on Nike+ to do it instead of paying attention to my breathing and legs. I need to work on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Headed to the gym in about 15 mins, I got a free sample of 1 M.R (One More Rep) its a preworkout powder. Judging by the serving amount I'm going to be tripping...I'll update if anyone is intrested in how it works. Doing bi's and tri's today and probably cardio afterwards.

Just started working back out this morning. I hope I can muster the same dedication that you have JDave-

I wish I could too -- I haven't run since the weekend.

It's been a long week. The key is when you fall off the wagon, climb back on. Make the next workout. I've failed at that for the most part this week, but next week is vacation so I intend to make up for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Catch up time on the training log. I ran 3.05 on Monday, 3.17 on Wednesday, and 6.2 (give or take) today at the Peachtree Road Race. All 3 were pretty much awful days -- the 2 weekday runs were on the road by the beach in the Florida panhandle and, like today, the heat and humidity were just horrible.

But I got all 3 in. I also lifted on Friday afternoon, and that was a really good workout. I did it in the resort's fitness room, and it was a machine workout (which I don't like, but it was a shakeup from lifting free weights so there was a bit of muscle confusion going on). Good week for working out.

Catch up time on the training log. I ran 3.05 on Monday, 3.17 on Wednesday, and 6.2 (give or take) today at the Peachtree Road Race. All 3 were pretty much awful days -- the 2 weekday runs were on the road by the beach in the Florida panhandle and, like today, the heat and humidity were just horrible.

But I got all 3 in. I also lifted on Friday afternoon, and that was a really good workout. I did it in the resort's fitness room, and it was a machine workout (which I don't like, but it was a shakeup from lifting free weights so there was a bit of muscle confusion going on). Good week for working out.

How did you do in the Peachtree, JDave?

My goal this year was to break 50 minutes, but I got around 52 minutes.

I heard some people saying at the start of the race this year, it was the hottest temperature at start time in 10 years.

How did you do in the Peachtree, JDave?

My goal this year was to break 50 minutes, but I got around 52 minutes.

I heard some people saying at the start of the race this year, it was the hottest temperature at start time in 10 years.

Slow, even for me (I average around 1:10 to 1:12 or so. Unofficially today was around 1:15 or so. Pacing was a real problem in addition to the heat and humidity. In my start wave, there were a whole ton of people on the left side of the road who would just stop for no apparent reason, then when you tried to go around them they'd start running again and cut you off. Probably happened 10 times today. Add to that the people who weren't stopping and starting, but just decided to walk on the left side of the road to begin with, and I spent a lot of energy just running faster than my pace trying to get around idiots who had no business on the course to begin with. I also had to stop once to get my left shoe situated. The laces ended up under my foot and the sock was bunched up.

I still wouldn't have broken an hour -- I'm just not that fast to begin with and I can't extrapolate a 5K over that distance well. But I was hoping for a PR (and under 1:09 would have been a PR). Didn't happen. There's always next year. I'm starting training for the Silver Comet Trail half marathon now.

Slow, even for me (I average around 1:10 to 1:12 or so. Unofficially today was around 1:15 or so. Pacing was a real problem in addition to the heat and humidity. In my start wave, there were a whole ton of people on the left side of the road who would just stop for no apparent reason, then when you tried to go around them they'd start running again and cut you off. Probably happened 10 times today. Add to that the people who weren't stopping and starting, but just decided to walk on the left side of the road to begin with, and I spent a lot of energy just running faster than my pace trying to get around idiots who had no business on the course to begin with. I also had to stop once to get my left shoe situated. The laces ended up under my foot and the sock was bunched up.

I still wouldn't have broken an hour -- I'm just not that fast to begin with and I can't extrapolate a 5K over that distance well. But I was hoping for a PR (and under 1:09 would have been a PR). Didn't happen. There's always next year. I'm starting training for the Silver Comet Trail half marathon now.

I felt the same way, I was in group "D" so I was towards the front, but the congestion and people stopping on the left side was horrible. I got 54:24 as my official time, pretty mad because I trained for it this year. The last two years I got 52 and 51 something minutes, so pretty disappointed in this year's time.

Anyway, good luck with your training for the marathon and the marathon itself!