Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JDaveG

New fitness thread!

Blah, dont know what was wrong with me today, usually when I get off work in the morning I go home eat, and head to the gym...today I ate and went back to bed. I think maybe my body is tired. i've been lifting 6 days a week plus PT. I'll be back at it tomorrow for sure though.

You are overtrained. Lifting 6 times a week is over doing it. You shouldn't really be lifting any more than 4 times a week.

You are overtrained. Lifting 6 times a week is over doing it. You shouldn't really be lifting any more than 4 times a week.

Yea man I realized this and took 2 days off, I feel ALOT better I'm packing alot of workouts in one day but your right i may need to tone it down, I'm still young though so i can go hard ^_^

Yesturday we ran 3 miles up and down a hill and it was 85 degrees with 90% humidity at 0800 am. Did some rescue excercises which are EXHAUSTING, came back to the station lifted. Woke up and did P90X with a friend....funny because I said I was going to tone it down!

Yea man I realized this and took 2 days off, I feel ALOT better I'm packing alot of workouts in one day but your right i may need to tone it down, I'm still young though so i can go hard ^_^

Yesturday we ran 3 miles up and down a hill and it was 85 degrees with 90% humidity at 0800 am. Did some rescue excercises which are EXHAUSTING, came back to the station lifted. Woke up and did P90X with a friend....funny because I said I was going to tone it down!

How young are you?

21, feel bullet proof :lol:

Keep training that way, and we will continue this conversation when you are 31

Seriously though, if you are training heavy, you only need to train 3 to 4 times a week

And training more is pointless because you keep breaking your body down and won't make progress.

Edited by shc

Keep training that way, and we will continue this conversation when you are 31

Seriously though, if you are training heavy, you only need to train 3 to 4 times a week

And training more is pointless because you keep breaking your body down and won't make progress.

We'll it was a wake-up call to be so fatigued so I'm going to be adding more rest days. I really dont train too heavy "weight wise" more of a form kinda guy, but I understand what your saying. I appreciate the advice, I usually dont go this hard but I've been really really motivated latley. We've got a big excercise coming up next month which involves us pulling alot of bodies out of *simulated* burning buildings so I'm just trying to be in the best shape possible, but I'd rather have a rested body when it all comes around.

We'll it was a wake-up call to be so fatigued so I'm going to be adding more rest days. I really dont train too heavy "weight wise" more of a form kinda guy, but I understand what your saying. I appreciate the advice, I usually dont go this hard but I've been really really motivated latley. We've got a big excercise coming up next month which involves us pulling alot of bodies out of *simulated* burning buildings so I'm just trying to be in the best shape possible, but I'd rather have a rested body when it all comes around.

A lot of people don't realize when you lift weights you break your muscles down, then your diet and sleep is what builds it back up. So if you keep breaking it down without rebuilding, a few things will happen. One is progress will stall, and then you will start login mass and strength. Next, you will be real prone to getting sick. Which again hinders your progress.

It is ok to do other types of exercise like cardio, but limit the lifting to 3 to 4 times per week. And even then, I would train specific body parts on those 3 days.

You are at the time in your life where it is very easy to make progress, and the smarter you are about training, the more progress you will make.

Anytime fitness FTW. Just tag along with my friend after 11pm and no one except a couple of others are there :lol:

I use anytime fitness when my other gym is closed, it's pretty convenient.

I'm glad there is a thread for this. I was thinking about getting back into living ability, shape only matters when you are already healthy, living ability means being able to run/jump etc........... JMO......... BTW: I ain't fat, I've just been lazy and just wanna feel better than I do now health wise.

I was thinking about going out and doing some running and maybe some pushups and setups to start out with. IMO, I don't care what you do, it's going to be hard work to get healthy. Perhaps I'm taking the wrong mental approach on this? Thoughts? Am I over thinking things? I'm looking at exercising as it's going to be hard, and it's going to hurt, it is going to make me feel bad, but then shortly after I will feel good. Is that the wrong train of thought?

I think my biggest mistake in the past when working out has been not to follow up by eating foods that coincide with what I am trying to accomplish. "Earlier in life, I would work out to be a freaking beast, now I hope to start working out to prevent a heart attack". :lol:

Either way, cool thread, kudos to all who have posted and thank you for the information.

I'm not sure if this has already been posted by someone else, but for those of you who enjoy running and keep a log of all your times, etc. Nike and Apple teamed up to do a thing where you get a chip and you run with it and it syncs to your iPod telling you how far you've ran, your times, etc. Then when you get home, you can open up the program on your computer and it syncs on the computer to give you stats on previous runs compared to the one you just completed. I asked my wife to get it for me for christmas, so while i'm over here in Iraq I can start running more often and actually enjoy it.

I'm not sure if this has already been posted by someone else, but for those of you who enjoy running and keep a log of all your times, etc. Nike and Apple teamed up to do a thing where you get a chip and you run with it and it syncs to your iPod telling you how far you've ran, your times, etc. Then when you get home, you can open up the program on your computer and it syncs on the computer to give you stats on previous runs compared to the one you just completed. I asked my wife to get it for me for christmas, so while i'm over here in Iraq I can start running more often and actually enjoy it.

That is pretty cool. Be safe over there in the sandbox!

On a different note, I fell off the wagon this month as far as working out and eating healthy. I was doing really well for a while, but the holidays are here and I just cant do it! Jan 1st I will be going back to the old routine.

Am I the only schmuck that fell of the wagon?!?!

That is pretty cool. Be safe over there in the sandbox!

On a different note, I fell off the wagon this month as far as working out and eating healthy. I was doing really well for a while, but the holidays are here and I just cant do it! Jan 1st I will be going back to the old routine.

Am I the only schmuck that fell of the wagon?!?!

Defintley not good sir, I'm on leave from Japan and I usually have a good routine going on with flag football practice on Tuesday evenings, Ju Jitsu class Fri and Sat, PT every weekday at 0615 and a weightlifting regimen Mon-Fri (Sun Saturday REST!).

Anyways point being I keep busy throughout the week, but since getting back to the states I've been Jet lagged worse than ever before. For about 4 days straight I was going to sleep at 8pm waking up at 12 or 1 am and not being able to fall back asleep and NOW I'm sick and unable to go to the gym to at least get a lift or run in. I'll be ok though I get back off to Japan on the 29th and after a few days of rest I'll be thrown back into the mess.

So who all's been staying active in the cold months?

I'm keeping up a good routine. I moved to colorado to skibum. So far I've got in 35 days skiing and about 10 climbing sessions at the gym since November. There's ice climbing a few miles from my apartment so I'm trying to get in shape for that. Snake would have wet his pants if he heard another poster was training for ice climbing lol. Does he still post here?

So who all's been staying active in the cold months?

I'm keeping up a good routine. I moved to colorado to skibum. So far I've got in 35 days skiing and about 10 climbing sessions at the gym since November. There's ice climbing a few miles from my apartment so I'm trying to get in shape for that. Snake would have wet his pants if he heard another poster was training for ice climbing lol. Does he still post here?

Snake was banned a while ago.

I am still at it, although will probably just have to work out in the basement tonight because of the snow.

Need to go light anyway, because my shoulder has been hurting.