JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,861 posts in this topic

ki45toryu (1/29/2008)
Cant...go...to...gym...........tooo....many....tests.

I haven't been in 2 weeks due to illness. I'm planning to go this Saturday, but I'm pretty miffed about it right about now.

I would go for a run tonight but it's raining :crying:

JDaveG (1/31/2008)
ki45toryu (1/29/2008)
Cant...go...to...gym...........tooo....many....tests.

I haven't been in 2 weeks due to illness. I'm planning to go this Saturday, but I'm pretty miffed about it right about now.

I would go for a run tonight but it's raining :crying:

I always liked running in the rain...you are coming off an illness though, probably not a good idea....unless you look at sickness as a way to build antibodies.

Had a nice steamy hot workout with the wife. It was a night time workout, so it was cold outside but hot inside. It's the best exercise ever, and I'll put this regimen above any other that anyone has ever pitched on here or anywhere. Admittedly, it was hard for me, but very easy at the same time. We both worked up a sweat and burned lots of calories. We use lots of different muscle groups and it's a good cardio drill too. It's not a workout for everyone, and it's definitely not some quick race to the finish, but is instead one that takes stamina, focus and rhythm with a huge reward that makes us both want to repeat the workout frequently.

As for # of reps and duration ... puhleeze does anyone seriously count that stuff?

Best workout ever!:cool:

BigSlick (1/28/2008)

For me personally, results are the best motivation. Patience is key in weight loss or whatever you want to achieve.

It's just like anything else in this world. You have to WANT to lose weight. You have to WANT it bad enough to suffer a little, whether that be spending time in the gym or cutting out foods you like to eat.

If you WANT it more then you want the other bad stuff you will succeed. Keep a daily/weekley log of you weight or whatever it is you are tracking. Once you see good results, you will have all the motivation you need.

I think my problem was going to the gym TOO MUCH and overworking myself. I wasn't giving myself enough time to recover and I wasn't really getting the results I wanted. I started out by going to the gym 3-4 times a week doing my whole body in one day. That wasn't working for me so I split it up and I was going 6 days a week, working out upper body three days and lower body three days. Even then it just seemed like a job but I thought if I worked out more I would get results faster. Not so fast my friend!

I kinda slacked off a little (just because I didn't feel like going) and I ended up going 4 times a week for the past few weeks (upper body twice, lower body twice) and I've got to tell ya my workouts have been easier and I can see my body changing a lot quicker. You are right, there is nothing like looking in the mirror and seeing change and knowing that all of the lifting and running and sweating is actually working. Makes you feel like a million bucks.

As far as eating, I have completely changed my diet. I haven't had fast food in like 3 months. Instead of snacking on doritos and cookies I eat nuts and fruit. I don't eat fried stuff, I eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones, etc. It was pretty hard at first but like you said, once you start seeing results and you know its working then all of the 'suffering' you go through is well worth it. like I've said before, by the time I drank my 2 glasses of creatine and my 3 protein shakes for the day I'm really not that hungry anyway. They really help curb my appetite.

falkonX7 (2/5/2008)

As far as eating, I have completely changed my diet. I haven't had fast food in like 3 months. Instead of snacking on doritos and cookies I eat nuts and fruit. I don't eat fried stuff, I eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones, etc. It was pretty hard at first but like you said, once you start seeing results and you know its working then all of the 'suffering' you go through is well worth it. like I've said before, by the time I drank my 2 glasses of creatine and my 3 protein shakes for the day I'm really not that hungry anyway. They really help curb my appetite.

Agree completely. When I stopped drinking soda, I really didn't know if I could do it (seriously, does Mt Dew contain crack?). Once your body is used to more healthful food, the junk cravings mostly disappear. I eat junk food occasionally if I feel like it, but it isn't what I reach for automatically.

Steve_Bartkowski (2/5/2008)
I have gotten going with a routine and I pretty much stick to the same routine. With weights I do upper body Mon-Wed-Fri and lower body Tues-Thurs.

Question: Is it best to do the different exercises in the same order each time (routine) or is it best to reverse the order and switch things around often? I have been pretty much doing things the same order for the last several weeks. One thing I noticed is that I usually do bench press early in the workout and shoulder presses (or whatever they are called - basically like a bench press but pushing up above your head instead of away from your chest) late in the workout. I noticed that by the time I get to these shoulder press thingies, I am pretty weak and tired. I get them done but I struggle with lighter weights. Just wondering if I should reverse the order of my workout each time so that sometimes I do shoulder press thingies first and bench press near last... Any thoughts?

I always start with compound lifts before moving to isolation lifts (i.e., do the bench press first, then shoulder press, then dumbell laterals, etc.). The compound lift allows you to lift heavier which increases strength, and the isolation lift should be mainly for definition, etc. I do VERY few isolation lifts at all.

Are you trying to be a powerlifter, or for the health advantages/how it makes you feel/look?

If the latter, change up the order or the lifts, even sometimes putting compound movements last.

Yeah it will take your pride down a notch when you can barely benchpress your usual warmup weight at the end of a solid workout, but it is good to shock the muscles in such a way.

For example, every 4th workout or so I will reverse the order so my heavier movements are last...like dumbell overhead press(for tris) or barbell curl or bench.

The only 2 exercises I highly recommend you dont switch on are powercleans and squats. Doing both with certain muscle groups exhausted can result in an injury. If doing squats at the end of a workout, go much lighter than normal or use a sled. Please.

Deadlifts, surprisingly, are AWESOME at the end of any back or leg workout.

ki45toryu (2/5/2008)
Are you trying to be a powerlifter, or for the health advantages/how it makes you feel/look?

If the latter, change up the order or the lifts, even sometimes putting compound movements last.

Yeah it will take your pride down a notch when you can barely benchpress your usual warmup weight at the end of a solid workout, but it is good to shock the muscles in such a way.

For example, every 4th workout or so I will reverse the order so my heavier movements are last...like dumbell overhead press(for tris) or barbell curl or bench.

The only 2 exercises I highly recommend you dont switch on are powercleans and squats. Doing both with certain muscle groups exhausted can result in an injury. If doing squats at the end of a workout, go much lighter than normal or use a sled. Please.

Deadlifts, surprisingly, are AWESOME at the end of any back or leg workout.

Do you think every fourth workout is suffucient to prevent the muscle development from slowing down?

I am doing something a little different than what you guys are doing (M & Th: Chest/Tri's, Tu & Fri: Back/Bi's, W & Sat: Legs/Shoulders), and every week I rotate starting with compound or iso movements, and every 3rd week I go with Hi rep, low weight variants. Is this actually counter productive?

Would I be better off sticking to one particular type of lifting for a set period of time? 12 to 16 weeks maybe, with a rotation more similar to what you stated (every 4th workout)?

Granted that I have only been doing this since December so I will probably be seeing results for a while, no matter what I do. But I would like to develop some plan that will still be delivering rapid results in 6 to 12 months.

ucsbdirtybird (2/6/2008)
ki45toryu (2/5/2008)

Do you think every fourth workout is suffucient to prevent the muscle development from slowing down?

I am doing something a little different than what you guys are doing (M & Th: Chest/Tri's, Tu & Fri: Back/Bi's, W & Sat: Legs/Shoulders), and every week I rotate starting with compound or iso movements, and every 3rd week I go with Hi rep, low weight variants. Is this actually counter productive?

Would I be better off sticking to one particular type of lifting for a set period of time? 12 to 16 weeks maybe, with a rotation more similar to what you stated (every 4th workout)?

Granted that I have only been doing this since December so I will probably be seeing results for a while, no matter what I do. But I would like to develop some plan that will still be delivering rapid results in 6 to 12 months.

2 things...

#1)Have a plan...and you have one...thats the most important thing.

#2)Ochman's Razor...simplest answer usually is the best answer. How that relates to weight lifting? Dont overthink your workout plan.

Everyone has particular types of workouts that give them the best results, and it just takes time to formulate what gives you the best results. There are exercises I dont even do because I dont get much out of them/they cause undesirable pain. Friends of mine though might see great results on the same exercise I get nothing from, and vice versa.

If you really enjoy power lifting movements(not the goal of powerlifting though), then it is in your best interest psychologically to incorporate them into your workout. You will look forward to the workout more...work harder during the workout...and are less likely to leave the gym dissatisfied.

About the low weight, high rep incorporation you were talking about...it sounds fine. If you like it, continue to throw it in...it cant hurt ya know? I, personally, am not a fan of having whole workouts set aside for high reps/low weight. Usually I'll incorporate 1 exercise into the normal workout that is designed for such uses, or not do a power lifting movement on a workout day and add some reps on the back end to 2 or 3 of my exercises.

Can anyone help me get rid of late night cravings????

Lately I've had a lot of late night cravings, like for ice cream, chocolate, junk food like that.

I hadn't gone to eat fast food since thanksgiving, so I'm guessing its just my conscience wanting some junk food after not having it for so long.

Any ideas?

Darqness (2/9/2008)
Can anyone help me get rid of late night cravings????

Lately I've had a lot of late night cravings, like for ice cream, chocolate, junk food like that.

I hadn't gone to eat fast food since thanksgiving, so I'm guessing its just my conscience wanting some junk food after not having it for so long.

Any ideas?

A spoonful of peanut butter...or a handful of cashews/peanuts/almonds....or a low carb yogurt from Kroger.

The low carb yogurt from Kroger also has whey protein to it...its an awesome product.

Thanks.

Im a hardgainer trying a new protein diet.

I lift twice a week for about an hour,although Im in track so Im thinking of stopping to avoid gaining weight.

Snake, we have the same workout style - alchohol-as-reward!

I did cardio and lifted every day last week. Felt good.

snake (2/11/2008)
Hey etifan, I can only reward myself like that during team sports. I have to wait until after the rides, runs or lifts to partake. Although, I have on many occassions combined rides in scenic cities and towns with bar hoping. When I was in college I would run back to my apartment after parties on campus as a penalty for the 12-14 beers I would knock back. But give me a good Texas marg after any work out and I'm very happy. It helps to share the experience with your work out partner as well.

Hows your training over going? What has been your net changes?

My favorite local trail goes past several wineries. I learned the hard way to walk my bike down the very steep hill post-drink. Fortunately, most of the trail is flat.

With the 5k setting, I've been focused more on getting through it without gasping for air, which I realized last week I accomplished. Granted my time was 27:00, so I definitely have more work to do. I've always struggled with endurance and breathing, so getting through it M, Tu, Th and F in under 28 minutes without any dizziness felt great. I've never smoked or been overweight and the endurance thing has always puzzled me.

Anyway, my weight was 114 last week, and my clothes fit better, although I need to do actual measurements again. One of my girlfriends kept complimenting my arms and abs at our Super Tuesday party...but she's the encouraging type, so I'm not taking it as too big of a boost, lol. But I definitely feel better. I'd like to increase my dumbbell presses to 30 lbs and eventually to 40 (I've been at 25 for two weeks), just to increase upper-body strength. I haven't been at 30 since I messed up my shoulder about 18 months ago. The PT had me start back with 10lb weights, which was humiliating even for a girl, ha.

For legs, I don't really focus on increasing weight with squats (110 lbs) - I just do three sets of 12-15, plus a fourth set until I'm fatigued. I've only been doing leg presses once a week lately - 3x15 @ 200 lbs. Those are so much easier on the knees, but I don't get the instant visible results that squats provide. I'm not currently working on patience. ;)

My friend wants to start working out with me, and he wants to add a supplement to his diet. Ive read about the product, and it seems to go to be true, and when i looked at reviews some said it was good, while others said it won't do crap.

here is a link to the site.

Link

it seems to good to be true. Lose weight AND gain muscle fast. i think its to good to be true, and its not proven by the FDA, but its not like the FDA doesnt help big business.

GEORGIAfan (2/11/2008)
My friend wants to start working out with me, and he wants to add a supplement to his diet. Ive read about the product, and it seems to go to be true, and when i looked at reviews some said it was good, while others said it won't do crap.

Link

it seems to good to be true. Lose weight AND gain muscle fast. i think its to good to be true, and its not proven by the FDA, but its not like the FDA doesnt help big business.

I wouldnt even touch that dude, I looked at the ingredients and some are actually part of weight lifting supplements but some other stuff ive never seen before. I'm no expert in supplements but I will tell you Whey Protein is a great safe way to start gaining muscle, of course it takes longer than those fancy supplements but im pretty sure you wont have any unexpected "shrinkage" or any other side effects. If your just starting off take something simple, I've been lifting for about 4 years now (yes i know its hard to tell) but I've experimented with alot of different supplements and I could probably tell you what would work and what wouldnt...but i just wouldnt buy that product.

tipp78 (2/11/2008)
GEORGIAfan (2/11/2008)

Link

I wouldnt even touch that dude, I looked at the ingredients and some are actually part of weight lifting supplements but some other stuff ive never seen before. I'm no expert in supplements but I will tell you Whey Protein is a great safe way to start gaining muscle, of course it takes longer than those fancy supplements but im pretty sure you wont have any unexpected "shrinkage" or any other side effects. If your just starting off take something simple, I've been lifting for about 4 years now (yes i know its hard to tell) but I've experimented with alot of different supplements and I could probably tell you what would work and what wouldnt...but i just wouldnt buy that product.

it actually says its suppose to increase your size. my friend was telling me about it, because he wants to add that to his diet. i just want to go old fashion diet with lots of protein and workout.

could you tell me some supplements, because it seems he is bent on adding a supplement to his diet, so i want to give him another option.

When I said "Shrinkage" I meant other parts of your body besides your muscles:P I mean i dunno if that product would do that or not but I've heard stories about these miracle supplements. Anyways heres a couple of powders and supplements, that I have personally used and had good results....http://www.prosource.net/product.jsp?path=-1|8&id=1249....Muscle milk is probably one of the cheaper proteins out there but you get a bang for your buck, the only complaints have been its a little high in fat content.

http://www.prosource.net/product.jsp?path=-1|6430&id=24785 Nytro Whey, was one i really liked, you can buy it in a smaller cheaper jug. It also tastes pretty good for protein and you can mix into oatmeal and other stuff.

Those are the protein powders that I like to think of that have some "kick" in them, because there not just pure protein there is other muscle building agents in them as well. But yea those are just a few, I can think of many more but I'm not to sure on how they work. O yea by the way how old is your friend?

tipp78 (2/12/2008)
When I said "Shrinkage" I meant other parts of your body besides your muscles:P I mean i dunno if that product would do that or not but I've heard stories about these miracle supplements. Anyways heres a couple of powders and supplements, that I have personally used and had good results....http://www.prosource.net/product.jsp?path=-1|8&id=1249....Muscle milk is probably one of the cheaper proteins out there but you get a bang for your buck, the only complaints have been its a little high in fat content.

http://www.prosource.net/product.jsp?path=-1|6430&id=24785 Nytro Whey, was one i really liked, you can buy it in a smaller cheaper jug. It also tastes pretty good for protein and you can mix into oatmeal and other stuff.

Those are the protein powders that I like to think of that have some "kick" in them, because there not just pure protein there is other muscle building agents in them as well. But yea those are just a few, I can think of many more but I'm not to sure on how they work. O yea by the way how old is your friend?

18 and a half.

GEORGIAfan (2/12/2008)
tipp78 (2/12/2008)

18 and a half.

O ok just making sure, I wouldnt want to be giving supplement advice someone who was younger because I dont know how it would work out for them. Anyways hope those suggestions will help your friend out.

tipp78 (2/12/2008)
GEORGIAfan (2/12/2008)
tipp78 (2/12/2008)

18 and a half.

O ok just making sure, I wouldnt want to be giving supplement advice someone who was younger because I dont know how it would work out for them. Anyways hope those suggestions will help your friend out.

yea thanks i told him about it today at school, and he said he was going to do more research on it.

GEORGIAfan (2/11/2008)

Link

I wouldn't touch that stuff either. I don't do caffeine or anything that is even close to ephedra. IMO your best bet is some kind of protein drink (my preference is myoplex. Pricey but it works for me) and some sort of creatine. Oh, and some sort of multi vitamin.

Another thing, you might want to go somewhere besides GNC to get this stuff if possible. They tend to be pretty dang expensive. At GNC a 4 pack of myolpex original is $16.99...at wal-mart the very same 4 pack is $10.99. It's kinda ridiculous.

falkonX7 (2/12/2008)
GEORGIAfan (2/11/2008)

Link

I wouldn't touch that stuff either. I don't do caffeine or anything that is even close to ephedra. IMO your best bet is some kind of protein drink (my preference is myoplex. Pricey but it works for me) and some sort of creatine. Oh, and some sort of multi vitamin.

Another thing, you might want to go somewhere besides GNC to get this stuff if possible. They tend to be pretty dang expensive. At GNC a 4 pack of myolpex original is $16.99...at wal-mart the very same 4 pack is $10.99. It's kinda ridiculous.

Just a quick question, but what exactly does ephedra do that is so bad. I know about Korey Stringer, and I know it is now banned, but I have always been curious as to why? Is it just bad for you body, or are there psycological effects as well (like steroids)? I have never been the type to hold on to weight that I gain very long, but I still see it sold in the store I go to as a Vasodialator (spelling is off I know), so I assume that some people still take it for something.

falkonX7 (2/12/2008)
GEORGIAfan (2/11/2008)

Link

thanks for the advice, because i saw testimonials from the net, but im not really sure i should trust them, and i trust people on this message board more than some random site.

GEORGIAfan, creatine is good as well. I really like BSN's Cellmass, but it's a bit pricey for a creatine supplement.

At any rate, I don't think the supplement you asked about is so much dangerous as worthless. The first "test booster" in the list was tribulus, which just hasn't been shown to be effective. The problem with boosting testosterone is that you have to cycle on and off, and then you need an estrogen inhibitor to keep from getting weepy and man boobs and shrinkage (as others have mentioned), so anything that works WILL require PCT (if you don't know what that is, look it up), and if it doesn't require PCT, then you really aren't getting enough test to show any results in the first place.

And if your buddy is going to go through PCT, he might as well just jump in with both feet and take anabolics. But for the fact that they are illegal, the risk to his body will be about the same. So I don't think he's going to get what he wants out of what you posted, and I wouldn't recommend anything to him that he WOULD get any results from because it's way too dangerous.

Especially at his age.

If he really wants results, he needs to eat right and exercise. Period. Lifting heavy HAS been shown to safely elevate test levels, but not to the extent that the "cheater" methods do. He'll feel better and still be within normal levels going that way. And he won't have to take Clomid after he cycles off of whatever he uses to supplement.