1,864 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, thofin21 said:

Seriously!

Haven’t used it in like a year.  I just want to sleep when I get home. :( 

1 hour ago, lostone said:

Haven’t used it in like a year.  I just want to sleep when I get home. :( 

Looks like heavy duty set up

6 hours ago, lostone said:

How did this go?  Did they give you some drink or food every few miles?

You carry your nutrition, they had a few options for those that chose not to carry - bananas, granola bars, etc.  and then water every 6-8 miles.   Strangely I could have kept running.  

On 4/6/2019 at 2:26 PM, kicker said:

You carry your nutrition, they had a few options for those that chose not to carry - bananas, granola bars, etc.  and then water every 6-8 miles.   Strangely I could have kept running.  

Lol @ myself

i ran a 5k cold from not running in a long time.

4min run 2min walk.

an embarrassing 38minutes and sore the next 2 days.

4 hours ago, lostone said:

Lol @ myself

i ran a 5k cold from not running in a long time.

4min run 2min walk.

an embarrassing 38minutes and sore the next 2 days.

If you’re going to start from zero, wear a heart rate monitor.  Stay at or under 140bpm.  If that means walking, so be it.  Do that for at least 30 minutes.  You’ll be able to exercise every day.  It’s an aerobic workout, which burns fat, strengthens your heart.  You’ll have more energy, feel better, look better, and literally think better.  

1 minute ago, kicker said:

If you’re going to start from zero, wear a heart rate monitor.  Stay at or under 140bpm.  If that means walking, so be it.  Do that for at least 30 minutes.  You’ll be able to exercise every day.  It’s an aerobic workout, which burns fat, strengthens your heart.  You’ll have more energy, feel better, look better, and literally think better.  

I have the monitor.   My heart rate I usually keep in the 160-170 range.  Though I haven’t measured lately

Ran a 54 miler in CO this past weekend.  Race started at 9900’ and went up to 12000.  Brutal but I finished.  

On 4/15/2019 at 2:17 PM, lostone said:

I have the monitor.   My heart rate I usually keep in the 160-170 range.  Though I haven’t measured lately

When I run my heart rate only goes up to 125-130. After walking it off for several minutes my heart rate goes down to the mid 60s.

Not bad for a man with diabetes for 35 years. I try and watch what I eat and exercise 4 times a week for an hour a day.

On 7/13/2019 at 9:30 AM, WhenFalconsWin said:

When I run my heart rate only goes up to 125-130. After walking it off for several minutes my heart rate goes down to the mid 60s.

Not bad for a man with diabetes for 35 years. I try and watch what I eat and exercise 4 times a week for an hour a day.

Don’t get too excited.  As you age your max heart rate gets lower.  

4 hours ago, kicker said:

Don’t get too excited.  As you age your max heart rate gets lower.  

Thanks, but my rate has never gotten high even when I was in my 20s. 

On 7/17/2019 at 9:24 PM, WhenFalconsWin said:

Thanks, but my rate has never gotten high even when I was in my 20s. 

So your max heart rate was in the 120s...  And you measured this in 1958 how exactly?

On 7/13/2019 at 9:30 AM, WhenFalconsWin said:

Pretty good.

I think the best resting heart rate I got was 56 but that was when I was lifting 2x a week + BJJ 3-4x a week + karate 2-3x a week + judo once a week.

I can't maintain that kind of schedule now.  Current resting HR is 60 something.

I wore at heart monitor at BJJ once.  During some hard rolls (sparring) my HR got up in the 180s.  

On 7/18/2019 at 9:45 AM, The Legendary SB said:

Pretty good.

I think the best resting heart rate I got was 56 but that was when I was lifting 2x a week + BJJ 3-4x a week + karate 2-3x a week + judo once a week.

I can't maintain that kind of schedule now.  Current resting HR is 60 something.

I wore at heart monitor at BJJ once.  During some hard rolls (sparring) my HR got up in the 180s.  

Sounds more realistic.  For most people, max heart rate is 220 minus your age.