JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,864 posts in this topic

Saturday (12/28/2007)

Last night's dinner was a bacon cheeseburger, french fries and cookie cake. I did have a Diet Coke, so that cancels out the rest of the calories, right? My eating habits are a joke with my family - I actually got a french fry Christmas tree ornament this year.

Put cheese on those fries, and you are my soul sister! Love the french fry ornament.

etifan (12/27/2007)
ki45toryu (12/27/2007)

And wine has anti-oxidants; you were busy warding off cancer all day....awesome.

I'm going to print this post and carry it around with me. Doctor says "drink!"

Wait a minute...lol

1.5 hours jiu jitsu yesterday. I'm getting over a bit of a sinus infection, so I was woozy for most of the class, but rolled 3 times (7 min. per) and did fine. Bonus was that we learned a REALLY cool alternate finish for a guillotine choke.

No workout update, but for those of you who came over from the old boards, you will remember my intermittent problem with my left foot going numb 15-20 minutes into a run. I had gone to Phidippides at the suggestion of HM and Saturday, and they watched me run in the old shoes (Asics 2120). They said "that is not a horrible shoe for you," gave me an alternate lacing pattern which helped a little, and sent me home. Long story short, the problem was better but did not go away, and to make it worse, my shoes felt unstable with the new lacing system. Since I had a year of on/off running on the old shoes anyway, I went back to Phidippides to check on a new pair.

Turns out the shoe was not exactly what I needed, and 1/2 size too small (I selected 1/2 size larger than normal, and they recommended a full size given my problems with the left foot). They had me run in a set of neutral trainers, and what I needed was a basic cushioning shoe instead of the stability or motion control shoe I was using. I A/B'd 3 pairs and ended up with the Saucony Pro Grid Trigon 5. Fantastic shoe. It was between that and a Nike+ shoe they had, and the Saucony just felt like a much nicer ride. I'll do a long run (hopefully) tomorrow and post the results.

JDaveG (12/31/2007)
No workout update, but for those of you who came over from the old boards, you will remember my intermittent problem with my left foot going numb 15-20 minutes into a run. I had gone to Phidippides at the suggestion of HM and Saturday, and they watched me run in the old shoes (Asics 2120). They said "that is not a horrible shoe for you," gave me an alternate lacing pattern which helped a little, and sent me home. Long story short, the problem was better but did not go away, and to make it worse, my shoes felt unstable with the new lacing system. Since I had a year of on/off running on the old shoes anyway, I went back to Phidippides to check on a new pair.

Turns out the shoe was not exactly what I needed, and 1/2 size too small (I selected 1/2 size larger than normal, and they recommended a full size given my problems with the left foot). They had me run in a set of neutral trainers, and what I needed was a basic cushioning shoe instead of the stability or motion control shoe I was using. I A/B'd 3 pairs and ended up with the Saucony Pro Grid Trigon 5. Fantastic shoe. It was between that and a Nike+ shoe they had, and the Saucony just felt like a much nicer ride. I'll do a long run (hopefully) tomorrow and post the results.

I'm glad you posted this. I've considered going to a place here that does the treadmill test, then creates or recommends a shoe. I bought Shox thinking that was the best shoe I could get for running (I worked in sports at the time and the coaches insisted). After about a month, I started having problems with numbness in my right foot.

etifan (12/31/2007)
I'm glad you posted this. I've considered going to a place here that does the treadmill test, then creates or recommends a shoe. I bought Shox thinking that was the best shoe I could get for running (I worked in sports at the time and the coaches insisted). After about a month, I started having problems with numbness in my right foot.

Definitely do it. I know for a fact that Fleet Feet will do a stride test as well as Phidippides. Any other reputable running supply store should as well. The shoes are not that much more at the specialty store (I cannot find mine online for less than I paid at Phidippides, for example), but the peace of mind of having the shoe fit your stride and running style is worth every penny you might pay.

snake (12/31/2007)

Jdave, I have similar problems when I lope along on all fours. It seems I do it more often when I'm chasing the pizza man down the street or frenchi thru the house. The pads on my hands go numb.You think they may have a strides test for me as well? My knuckles sure take a beating.

Lol! This reminds me I still need to post my cry for help in here.

Trying to not comment on your hands going numb before you catch your girl...

There are quit a few good athletes on these boards and alot of good training tips. I'm sure any and all of us would be happy to help you in your routine. Pick out a race or weight, or your ideal shape, and start setting some goals. With out a clear picture its hard to get to where you'r going.

My plea for help, as mentioned in Snake's Cool Picture thread (quoted above):

Not sure exactly what I need to provide. I'm age 33, 5'4" and 117 lbs, hip and bust measurements are identical, so I'm not really worried about weight/shape. I would love to increase endurance, and I've never participated in a 5k, so that is my first goal. I found a local website that posts races, but none are listed yet.

I want to increase strength and tone. I would like to have cut arms, but the last time I had arms I loved, I was 112 lbs...the rest of me was too skinny. Most days, I run 2-5 miles on a treadmill.

I totally lose focus on strength training. I've found a couple of good routines on askmen, but tired of them. The women's magazines rarely contain workouts that interest me, so if there are any suggestions here for endurance/strength (or resources), I would be appreciative. I always seem to return to curls, presses and push-ups.

Also, for someone who's never completed a 5k, but is in decent shape, how attainable is a 10k? Is that a horrible goal? Are you all laughing at me right now?

JDaveG (12/31/2007)
Since I had a year of on/off running on the old shoes anyway, I went back to Phidippides to check on a new pair.

You should definitely change shoes more often than a year - even if you're not running every day. I change every 3 months or so. Even if the treads aren't worn out, the shoe support starts to go. It's amazing how good I feel and run in a new pair of shoes.

etifan (12/31/2007)
There are quit a few good athletes on these boards and alot of good training tips. I'm sure any and all of us would be happy to help you in your routine. Pick out a race or weight, or your ideal shape, and start setting some goals. With out a clear picture its hard to get to where you'r going.

My plea for help, as mentioned in Snake's Cool Picture thread (quoted above):

Not sure exactly what I need to provide. I'm age 33, 5'4" and 117 lbs, hip and bust measurements are identical, so I'm not really worried about weight/shape. I would love to increase endurance, and I've never participated in a 5k, so that is my first goal. I found a local website that posts races, but none are listed yet.

I want to increase strength and tone. I would like to have cut arms, but the last time I had arms I loved, I was 112 lbs...the rest of me was too skinny. Most days, I run 2-5 miles on a treadmill.

I totally lose focus on strength training. I've found a couple of good routines on askmen, but tired of them. The women's magazines rarely contain workouts that interest me, so if there are any suggestions here for endurance/strength (or resources), I would be appreciative. I always seem to return to curls, presses and push-ups.

Also, for someone who's never completed a 5k, but is in decent shape, how attainable is a 10k? Is that a horrible goal? Are you all laughing at me right now?

Running a race is a lot different than running on a treadmill. But if you're running 2-5 miles a day on the treadmill, you're in pretty good race shape. I think a 10k is a great goal, but I would start off with at least one 5k race. It's good to just see how a race works and how you feel on race day. You should be able to do one of those now and then see how you feel about doing a 10k from there.

I HATE strength training. My motivation comes from running, so I got a trainer to help on the strength training side. She gave me a good workout that covers everything:

Abdominal reach (3 x 20 with 8 lb. medicine ball)

Accordian crunch (3 x 20 with 8 lb. medicine ball)

-alternate reaches and crunches above (little to no rest in between). Abdominal reach is flat on your back with your feet flat on the ground. Hold the medicine ball straight up (arms locked) and reach STRAIGHT up as far as you can go. Accordian cruch is when you take the ball and bring it all the way over your head and have your legs out straight. Bring the ball towards your knees as you bring them in.

Push-Ups (3 x 15)

Plank (3 x 30 seconds)

-alternate push-ups and planks above (little to no rest in between).

Prone cobras (2 x 20)

Opposite arm/leg reach (2 x 20)

-alternate cobras and arm/leg reaches above (little to no rest in between). Prone cobras are when you lay on your stomach and put your arms out in front like Superman. Use your abs to lift your arms and legs off the ground.

Standing cable chest fly (2 x 20). I always do this on a machine, but resistance bands would work. Just push out straight from your shoulders/chest.

Machine rows (2 x 20)

Lat pull downs (2 x 20)

-alternate rows with lat pull downs

Wall squats using a big abdominal ball (2 x 25)

Single leg step with ball reach (2 x 15)

-alternate squats with single step reach. Use 4 lb. medicine ball. Step up onto something 8-12 inches off the ground and with both hands, reach the ball above your head.

Curl and shoulder press (2 x 20)

Tricep extension (2 x 20)

-alternate curl and shoulder press and triceps. Curl and shoulder press uses dumbbells. Do bicep curls and then immediately go to presses over your shoulder/head.

Leg press (2 x 20)

Lunges (2 x 20)

-alternate leg press with lunges

Saturday (12/31/2007)
You should definitely change shoes more often than a year - even if you're not running every day. I change every 3 months or so. Even if the treads aren't worn out, the shoe support starts to go. It's amazing how good I feel and run in a new pair of shoes.

I know -- I've been meaning to get a new pair for a while now, and have just put it off. No more than I run, I can probably stretch 6 months out of a new pair, but I don't intend to go much past that anymore. Particularly since I now know which shoes I need and can bargain shop a bit.

I'll do a long run in these tomorrow and report back.

BTW, this is the particular shoe I got. Pug fugly, but they have a nice ride!

51FU1oiUcVL._AA280_.jpg

Thanks to Ramen for the gift card, BTW!

Shiney_McShine (12/31/2007)
I ate a large pizza.

No beer? Are you ####### ####### me Pyle? No ####### beer?

Get the #### off my obstacle!

pyle-hartman.jpg

Ran 10K today, tried to do 10/2 splits but I was a bit out of shape (I haven't run since my last 5K). Ended up running 51 min., walking about 33 or so. Shoes worked out great. Most of the aches and pains I typically feel after a long one are not there. A bit of IT band tightness on the left, but nothing serious (I usually have a ton of medial knee pain on the right, and I have absolutely no pain on the right today). Numbness was not gone entirely, but it was MUCH better. I loosened the shoe about 20 min. in and it pretty much solved the problem. No creative lacing necessary, and the shoes were still snug on both feet. I will keep training in these and if everything keeps working well, this is my new shoe.

Hey, thanks, Saturday! I'll try that workout. I haven't had much luck with trainers at this new gym. Tried two different women, but they were way too chatty. Tried a male, and he is great for Pilates, but every single move is preceded with "Can I touch you here?" I appreciate his position, but for pete's sake, I already told him I would let him know if anything made me uncomfortable.

I did start using the 5k setting on the treadmill, and will start a time log tomorrow night (endurance spinning tonight - my addiction!). I'm sure you're right about the feel of the run being different. It's 20-something degrees here, though, so the outdoor running is on hold for a bit.

etifan (1/2/2008)
I did start using the 5k setting on the treadmill, and will start a time log tomorrow night (endurance spinning tonight - my addiction!). I'm sure you're right about the feel of the run being different. It's 20-something degrees here, though, so the outdoor running is on hold for a bit.

Set a 1-2 degree incline and run a bit longer/farther than you would outdoors and it's a pretty good simulation.

Of course, if your race will be in 20-something weather, nothing will simulate that other than running in those conditions, but you can get your fitness level up to where you can handle 5K to 10K distance by doing only treadmill running. Much more than 10K and I'd argue your body needs to hit the pavement to get used to the impact over those distances.

JDaveG (1/2/2008)

Set a 1-2 degree incline and run a bit longer/farther than you would outdoors and it's a pretty good simulation.

Of course, if your race will be in 20-something weather, nothing will simulate that other than running in those conditions, but you can get your fitness level up to where you can handle 5K to 10K distance by doing only treadmill running. Much more than 10K and I'd argue your body needs to hit the pavement to get used to the impact over those distances.

Thanks, I'll adjust the incline.

If I were running/cycling outdoors in 20-degree weather, I'd pray to be hit by a car. I'm not that hardcore...yet.;)

I don't like running in oustside in freezing weather, either. Living in Boston means running on the treadmill for most of the winter. We're in Atlanta for a while, but it's too freezing for me to run outside here, too. To me, it's more important to enjoy the run vs. struggling through an outside workout. So I stick with the treadmill myself, too.

That's hilarious about your guy trainer! I don't love working out with a trainer, but this one who gave me the workout seems to be the best of the bunch. She is super knowledgeable and doesn't just throw me on different machines to pass the time.

I don't mind running in cold weather as long as there is no snow. Having to navigate snow piles and slush is miserable. What you need for cold weather running is a pair of knit gloves or mittens. (I have both and I definitely prefer the gloves) and either a hat or a head band.

Usually it will only take about 10 minutes of running to warm your hands enough to where you can remove the gloves.

If there is a lot of snow and you are looking for a great cardo workout try cross country skying. That will work a good sweat up on a cold day quickly. The worst part is fresh snow where you have to make your own grooves. It's great to have a partner along so you can switch leading in that case.

Treaded a mile through a jungle along a river because I wanted to see where the river dumped in to. Problem was that one side of the river bank was impossible to traverse, so I waded the river....then climbed the opposite bank and followed it to its completion as a waterfall that flushed into the Pacific hundreds of feet below. I couldnt get up the bank with my shoes because I didnt really prepare to do any exploring, so I took them off, tied the laces together, and threw them over my shoulder and hiked the mile barefoot.

Man my feet were bloody and I was covered in mud by the time I got to the waterfall....but it was wellllllllll worth it. To anyone going to Hawaii, do your own exploring. Its more fun that way.

Hey guys...first time posting in this thread and i hope you guys can help....

Im gunna be leaving for college at the end of this month and i need to drop weight but gain muscle fast.....is there anyway this is possible?

Im about 5'11", 19, and weigh about 175....i wanna get down at least 10 lbs in body fat but i wanna gain muscle.....is there anyway this is possible without using steroids? Would any type of supplement help?

I know i gotta start eating better which i have been but i finaly just got a membership to the local gym here....any help?

laxin-it (1/3/2008)
Hey guys...first time posting in this thread and i hope you guys can help....

Im gunna be leaving for college at the end of this month and i need to drop weight but gain muscle fast.....is there anyway this is possible?

Im about 5'11", 19, and weigh about 175....i wanna get down at least 10 lbs in body fat but i wanna gain muscle.....is there anyway this is possible without using steroids? Would any type of supplement help?

I know i gotta start eating better which i have been but i finaly just got a membership to the local gym here....any help?

EAS phosphagen elite (creatine), Myoplex deluxe shakes, naNOx9 nitric oxide, mega mens sport multi vitamin.

I've been using that for a little over a month and have made huge gains in muscle mass, definition and stamina. My strength hasn't had any huge gains but as long as I feel and look okay I could care less about how much I can lift, ya know? I went from a soft 210 lbs to a more tone 223 in a little over a month so if you are wanting to build muscle this may work for you too.

Does anybody know where you can get a good weighted vest and weighted leg weights? A friend of mine has a set that he wears when running, and I've also been wanting to get some.. Does anybody know where to get a good set for not alot of money?

snake (1/1/2008)

Etifan. Start out this new year with some reachable goals. Like Saturday said, choose a good 5k, run it and see where your at. Your training runs will differ from the excitemnt of a real race. Enjoy it and gauge yourself, somewhat, from it. Running a 10k is very doable if you pace yourself, so that is just another length you'll add to your repitoire. Weights, strength training and alternative workouts, all will make you stronger, leaner and more well rounded. I see alot of strictly runners and they tend to have a runners body. I prefer the triathletes bodies, as the 3 disciplines encourage muscle development in all area's, as do climbing, swimming, cycling, weights etc. Weights have made me a much stronger athlete as has many people. I cycle stronger, run better etc. when I coordinate a circuit training workout. Circuit training, like many have talked abt. is a great conditioning workout. It stress's repetition, concise timing of the sets and allows you to start at a point, and after awhile shortens your breaks, ups reps and or weight used. There are tons of variety in these workouts. A mistake I see trainers do with novice clients is they have them working muscles thru ranges of motion with Medicine balls, jumps on and off platforms, lunges with weights, etc, with out the client 1st being in decent condition. Thats not going to be your problem, but honestly I believe in doing the basics 1st and then branch out. Squats, in a variety of ways, deadlifts, powercleans, curls with dumbells and bar, bench press, cable crossovers, military press's with a bar or cables and your home grown variety in leg press's, curls and leg extensions. These are the basics. These are the movemnts that are CORE movements. After you've progressed here you can use alternate movements, grips on the bars and motions. I see to many NEW and IMPROVED excercise programs. There are NO shortcuts. And the proof is tried and trued. You had mentioned arms as a goal. Well, think abt all the muscles in your shoulders, chest and abs that accompany the arms. By strengthening 1 you strengthen all of them.

Hope this helps.

Snake, all good tips - thanks. There are definitely no shortcuts and I feel SO much better about myself when I am dead tired postworkout, *knowing* that I put everything into it. I would never do cardio exclusively. I've seen runners who look great, but that's not the ideal shape for me.

The other night at the gym, I was invited to join a local multisport group that accepts all levels - I am STOKED!! There are people who meet just to walk, and people who have completed Iron Man. I didn't even know they existed. They're seasonal and run April - October or November, but I have the site bookmarked. If nothing else, it will give me someone to hit the trail with, and keep everyone from insisting I will meet my death alone in the woods.