JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,861 posts in this topic

Hey ki46dinah, spring practice is starting pretty soon and we'll stop weight training at that time. In the meantime, I was wondering what I should do to stay in shape. I have a light bar at home with maybe 80-90 more pounds I could put on it. I was thinking I would do some jump squats or lunges and then some biceps/triceps exercises and maybe putting weight on my back while I do pushups. What would you recommend for sets and reps of jump squats and lunges? Or should I do some different exercises for my legs?

with your legs, I wouldnt use weight for jump squats at all....they are effective even without weight

Try this little gem of a workout, it will have the ol' ticker bangin away....

30 reps of jump squat, no weight, then immediatley do....

30 pushups, then immediately do....

20 weighted lunges(whatever is pretty heavy for you), then immediately do....

30 crunches

Rest 30 seconds(time it)

Repeat...two more times

Do that on a non-weight lifting day...it is very effective.

Then do it again 3 days later, but change out one of the exercises with something comparable...and then take it up to 4 sets(instead of the normal 3).

with your legs, I wouldnt use weight for jump squats at all....they are effective even without weight

Try this little gem of a workout, it will have the ol' ticker bangin away....

30 reps of jump squat, no weight, then immediatley do....

30 pushups, then immediately do....

20 weighted lunges(whatever is pretty heavy for you), then immediately do....

30 crunches

Rest 30 seconds(time it)

Repeat...two more times

Do that on a non-weight lifting day...it is very effective.

Then do it again 3 days later, but change out one of the exercises with something comparable...and then take it up to 4 sets(instead of the normal 3).

I'm already breathing hard just looking at that. Thanks.

Will I be able to retain my current strength for a month if I do that?

I'm going to Germany to visit family for 3 weeks, then when I get back I have only 2 weeks before I have to go to basic training :( Its going to be rough because all of the beer I'm going to be drinking (since its required when you go to germany), but I'm really going to try to be smart about all the stuff I'm going to put into my body. It just sucks because there is no gym or exercise equipment at my grandparents house so I don't want to fall out of shape. Besides basic running and push ups is there anything anyone could suggest that would help me stay in shape? I've always been near a gym but I don't know what to do when there is not one close by!

I'm already breathing hard just looking at that. Thanks.

Will I be able to retain my current strength for a month if I do that?

your weight lifting numbers may fall....but your explosiveness will increase

trust me, it may not help you bench more, but it will be just as functional, if not more functional

your weight lifting numbers may fall....but your explosiveness will increase

trust me, it may not help you bench more, but it will be just as functional, if not more functional

ok good

ki46,

Here's the deal: I've never been a big, strong guy (only legitimately lifted for a few weeks in my life). A couple months ago I decided to cut out white bread, desserts, sodas, teas, etc. from my diet, and I also started doing some fast jogging/running for about 30 minutes each day. I'm right at about 6'0 and I've dropped to right around 150 lbs. I want to gain back some of my upper body strength that I've lost over time, but I only have a dumbbell set and nothing more. I can't afford a gym membership, either.

I don't want to get "huge" or anything like that (and obviously I can't without weights or going to the gym), but I'd like to gain some upper-body strength and increase the size of my arms. Other than dumbbell curls and push-ups, what can I do? And as for push-ups, I just busted my *** trying to do 15 lol. I love having the energy to play basketball for a lot longer now since I've been doing the cardio every day, but I feel (and may even look for all I know), weak as ****.

Thanks.

ki46,

Here's the deal: I've never been a big, strong guy (only legitimately lifted for a few weeks in my life). A couple months ago I decided to cut out white bread, desserts, sodas, teas, etc. from my diet, and I also started doing some fast jogging/running for about 30 minutes each day. I'm right at about 6'0 and I've dropped to right around 150 lbs. I want to gain back some of my upper body strength that I've lost over time, but I only have a dumbbell set and nothing more. I can't afford a gym membership, either.

I don't want to get "huge" or anything like that (and obviously I can't without weights or going to the gym), but I'd like to gain some upper-body strength and increase the size of my arms. Other than dumbbell curls and push-ups, what can I do? And as for push-ups, I just busted my *** trying to do 15 lol. I love having the energy to play basketball for a lot longer now since I've been doing the cardio every day, but I feel (and may even look for all I know), weak as ****.

Thanks.

If u were to be stuck on a desert island with 2 pieces of workout equipment...they should be 2 dumbbells.

U can do plenty with just dumbells:

Biceps:

Standing regular alternate bicep curls

Hammer curls

Seated versions of both of the above

Concentration curls...you sit in a chair with one dumbbell, put your elbow in the crook of your knee and curl the dumbbell.

Triceps:

Single arm overhead dumbbell press(for triceps)

Double arm of the above

Laying down tricep extensions

Tricep kickbacks(single or double arm)

Chest:

Having weight on the dumbbells....lay them about shoulder width apart from one another, and do pushups while holding onto them...it lets you go farther down in the pushups.

Shoudlers/Back:

You can also do shoulder presses(where you sit down and push the 2 dumbbells above your head)

Shoulder raises(front, sides, and back)

Dumbbell pulls(rows), where you have one knee on a chair, bend at the waist, and row a dumbbell towards your chest.

Thats just a sampling of exercises you can hit for upper body. Lower body stuff mostly centers around lunging or squating with the dumbbells in your hand.

Hey Ki46dehnia, what would you do as a lower-body explosiveness workout.

I don't have a sled or parachute, and I live in a very flat part of the world, so I can't do hill-sprints without going out to a mountain, and I can't do parachute runs or sled runs without my trainer, I have an old agilty ladder so I can do any number of drills on that.

But I would love to get my 40 into the sub 4.2's, good speed is good, elite speed is scary, I wanna see DC's with 1/2 there hair cause they gotta find a way to stop me, would you know anything that I could do to up my speed/acceleration, and agilty?

Thank you in advance.

Hey Ki46dehnia, what would you do as a lower-body explosiveness workout.

I don't have a sled or parachute, and I live in a very flat part of the world, so I can't do hill-sprints without going out to a mountain, and I can't do parachute runs or sled runs without my trainer, I have an old agilty ladder so I can do any number of drills on that.

But I would love to get my 40 into the sub 4.2's, good speed is good, elite speed is scary, I wanna see DC's with 1/2 there hair cause they gotta find a way to stop me, would you know anything that I could do to up my speed/acceleration, and agilty?

Thank you in advance.

ladder is very good for 'quick feet'

bleacher seats can be your best friend....sprinting up bleachers runs, then running down the small stairs....rest 30 seconds after a good cycle of that....then do bleacher hops 1 bleacher at a time, then quick feet down again, rest...etc etc

box jumps are nice too if you can get your hands on some....if not, find a platform that is a little lower, and do jumps onto that bad boy with some dumbbells in your hands

ladder is very good for 'quick feet'

bleacher seats can be your best friend....sprinting up bleachers runs, then running down the small stairs....rest 30 seconds after a good cycle of that....then do bleacher hops 1 bleacher at a time, then quick feet down again, rest...etc etc

box jumps are nice too if you can get your hands on some....if not, find a platform that is a little lower, and do jumps onto that bad boy with some dumbbells in your hands

Finished my Leg workout yesterday, which included a 495(5 plates) lbs squat and while I was at the gym there was a guy doing massive box jumps 55", so I joined him and did those for 20 minutes. On my way home I went to my old High-school football feild and ran the bleachers for an hour, when my old team and coach showed up and started running drills, I decided since I was there I'd help them out, but right now my legs are shot, it feels like I got 2 mack-trucks attached to my hips and I gotta lift them everytime I take a step.

Thank you very much sir.

I'm almost at my goal weight. I am 168 right now and I'm planning to be 170, so obviously I only need to gain two pounds. I love being tall. I still look skinny as a twig but somehow have gained 18 pounds so far, so I want to be about 180 with the same if not better athleticism by the start of fall practice (weight training through June and July with no other practices). I'm also thinking I'm going to ask the basketball coach about what I can do to work out for basketball to get in shape.

I am apparently more like 172 than 168 (pretty sure the scale I used this time was more accurate). If that's indeed the case, I'm pretty happy, but I'm not satisfied. I certainly believe I can get up to 180 by the end of summer workouts now. I plan to have my bench max at 185 at the very least by the end of summer workouts (currently at 155). I plan to have my squat at 275 (with good form, I believe I had poor form earlier; my max is around 230 or so). I just want to have good form on squats so I don't fck up my back or something else.

Oh, I also had a pretty enjoyable workout today. Same thing as usual for weight lifting, but I took ibuprofen before my workout so my knees wouldn't hurt... that helped a LOT. After the workout I did 30 box jumps without weights onto about a 3-3.5ft. box, then did 10 with ten pound weights, and finally did another with a 25 in my arms and I did not use the help of my arms to get it up. Once I felt the coaches would kick me out of the weight room, I decided to leave and go outside to where I would be picked up. I did about 8-10 twenty yard (approx.) shuttles and did one 60 yard shuttle.

Anyone know how to treat hamstrings? I pulled mine.

Season is almost over, and we start Decathlon I think the 3rd week of June.

Is this enough time to heal and start to strengthen my hamstring again?

Hey ki46dinah, what would be the best treatment to increase speed without weights? I'm looking on JumpUsa,com for something so that I can improve my explosion, speed, and agility because it has everything, but the prices are so high that I have to be careful about which one I choose. Or would you just recommend running hills, etc.? I'm going to be doing weight training over the summer and want to know what I can do other than the weights.

Hey ki46dinah, what would be the best treatment to increase speed without weights? I'm looking on JumpUsa,com for something so that I can improve my explosion, speed, and agility because it has everything, but the prices are so high that I have to be careful about which one I choose. Or would you just recommend running hills, etc.? I'm going to be doing weight training over the summer and want to know what I can do other than the weights.

Plyometrics and sprint intervals my friend.

Hills are awesome as well....and its important to change it up.

Jumps/box jumps will help with explosion and footwork. How many guys do you know can run a 4.4 but dont have good verticals? Not many.

Anyone know how to treat hamstrings? I pulled mine.

Season is almost over, and we start Decathlon I think the 3rd week of June.

Is this enough time to heal and start to strengthen my hamstring again?

Hamstrings are one of the worst injurys you can have, the best advice is alot of rest and ice, problem being hamstrings handle any movement forward, meaning when you walk/run/jog or otherwise move your delaying your recovery, Hamstring injury's have a tendancy to be nagging and last for very long stretches of time. My advice try and Ice bath once everyday the most painfully cold water possible and sit in that for 15 minutes, but even then it probaly will be a nagging injury right through August and September if you did any sort of serious damage, pulls turn into tears very fast so take it easy on this. The best thing for Hamstrings isen't recovery it's prevention, before you hurt yourself you need to run regularly, need to do hamstring curls, bloth laying flat on your stomach and sitting down, and a glut/hamstring raise would be effective, the stronger your hamstring is the less likely you are to hurt it.

Hamstrings are one of the worst injurys you can have, the best advice is alot of rest and ice, problem being hamstrings handle any movement forward, meaning when you walk/run/jog or otherwise move your delaying your recovery, Hamstring injury's have a tendancy to be nagging and last for very long stretches of time. My advice try and Ice bath once everyday the most painfully cold water possible and sit in that for 15 minutes, but even then it probaly will be a nagging injury right through August and September if you did any sort of serious damage, pulls turn into tears very fast so take it easy on this. The best thing for Hamstrings isen't recovery it's prevention, before you hurt yourself you need to run regularly, need to do hamstring curls, bloth laying flat on your stomach and sitting down, and a glut/hamstring raise would be effective, the stronger your hamstring is the less likely you are to hurt it.

It was a freak accident. I was leading off on the 4x1, and my blocks weren't nailed in. They shot backwards, but my spikes got stuck to the blocks, and while I was trying to shoot forward, the blocks (and my right leg) got shot back, and the pull happened.

It also didn't help that I kept trying to go through with it all season (it was the first race of the first meet of the year.) It's excruciatiing to long jump, but I want to sweep my events at league this year so I will grind it out for the last meet and then rest.

Does anyone have any advice to cure lower back pain? I had a slip up with squats months ago and I think I pinched a nerve or something...Since then its been feeling better but it still feels weak despite the fact that Ive been doing alot of lower back excerices (light weight). Ive also been doing yoga and that has helped but it doesnt seem to take care of the problem. Its not a terrible pain just when I sit in a car, or airplane for to long it becomes pretty annoying.

Does anyone have any advice to cure lower back pain? I had a slip up with squats months ago and I think I pinched a nerve or something...Since then its been feeling better but it still feels weak despite the fact that Ive been doing alot of lower back excerices (light weight). Ive also been doing yoga and that has helped but it doesnt seem to take care of the problem. Its not a terrible pain just when I sit in a car, or airplane for to long it becomes pretty annoying.

go see your doctor

it could be as simple as a muscular dysfunction, or it could be a herniation of the disk which is pressing on the spinal cord/nerves, or it could be cancer

so, again, please go see your doctor

go see your doctor

it could be as simple as a muscular dysfunction, or it could be a herniation of the disk which is pressing on the spinal cord/nerves, or it could be cancer

so, again, please go see your doctor

Dang I guess I should get this worked out before I go to basic....which is June 2nd.

Thanks for the advice though doc B)

Dang I guess I should get this worked out before I go to basic....which is June 2nd.

Thanks for the advice though doc B)

good luck in basic...and we thank you for your service to this country

good luck in basic...and we thank you for your service to this country

I appreciate that, and hopefully I can stay healthy through all the training. At least I will have full medical coverage.

With summer quickly approaching, I figured it's time to get working on the beach bod. I weighed myself this morning and I'm at 210lbs, and I'd like to lose 10-15lbs of fat. Any and all tips appreciated....

Weighed in at 197lbs a few days ago.