JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,863 posts in this topic

****ed up my ankle yesterday hoopin.. super weird its not bruised today, but i feel pain if i put any real weight on it. its so bizzare, its the right foot on the right side right near the bottom of my foot.

I have turned ankles before but this is way different.

Any suggestions K?

I got a suggestion.

Step up your defense. Looking like Steve Nash on defense.

I got a suggestion.

Lol, people dissing people on a fitness thread

cool, let me know what u think. we play mostly 90s stuff (the audience is young), but I slide some 80s in as well.

& the ankle is basically pain free today, but im still going to stay off it all week.

sounds good man

I got a suggestion.

I gotta suggestion as well-

dont wake up tomorrow

hey ki46dinah, what do you think of one-legged squats? i'm thinking about doing them instead of regular squats for two reasons

1. I can get more of my exercises finished

2, they seem to put more of an emphasis on the muscles rather than the joints

hey ki46dinah, what do you think of one-legged squats? i'm thinking about doing them instead of regular squats for two reasons

1. I can get more of my exercises finished

2, they seem to put more of an emphasis on the muscles rather than the joints

lunges and one legged squats/lunges are good....they will also help balance a little bit more than squats do

I will be honest though, squats are the ultimate mass builder....but if u gotta get around them becase of injury, do what you gotta do

For example, I've got a buddy that cant do bench press because of the stress it puts on his shoulders, but he can do dumbbell presses like a champ...and he is huge, so it doesnt negatively effect him.

lunges and one legged squats/lunges are good....they will also help balance a little bit more than squats do

I will be honest though, squats are the ultimate mass builder....but if u gotta get around them becase of injury, do what you gotta do

For example, I've got a buddy that cant do bench press because of the stress it puts on his shoulders, but he can do dumbbell presses like a champ...and he is huge, so it doesnt negatively effect him.

i just don't like having to do regular squats because of the balance part mainly. whenever i do a lot of weight on squats, i tend to lean down to my left when i go down. maybe i'm not doing them right. somewhat the same thing happens on bench press because my left arm is just way stronger than my right and my left always goes up faster and it looks really stupid.

i mainly just don't like having to do regular squats because of the balance part mainly. whenever i do a lot of weight on squats, i tend to lean down to my left when i go down. and somewhat the same thing happens on bench press because my left arm is just way stronger than my right and my left always goes up faster and it looks really stupid.

thats normal on the bench....but you gotta get it cleaned up

its not normal on squats...that usually means you have stronger back muscles on one side of your back, or maybe scoliosis which causes stronger muscles on one side of your back

youve been screened for scoliosis right?

thats normal on the bench....but you gotta get it cleaned up

its not normal on squats...that usually means you have stronger back muscles on one side of your back, or maybe scoliosis which causes stronger muscles on one side of your back

youve been screened for scoliosis right?

i had a physical when i went to the doctor's to get my knee checked out, so i guess so.

i had a physical when i went to the doctor's to get my knee checked out, so i guess so.

k

try to keep dead lifts in your routine if you can

had a fun day working out today. it was pretty cool because we only had about 10-12 kids there at most and we got to do whatever, whenever. since i have spring break next week and i won't be weight training until the week after, i decided to do a heavy workout. i did 5x5 on bench, 10 10 8 on squats (was going to do another set of 6 but my legs were worn out), 7 5 5 for powerclean to front squat, 5 for just powerclean, 2x10 on arm curls, 10 then until failure (10) on dips, 5 then until failure (9) for pull ups, an ab workout, and 15 glute-hams. im going to enjoy this break from weight training and get some nice rest. :)

ki46dinah, I need some advice.

So yesterday I was playing basketball, and I felt perfectly fine after. I went to sleep and when I got up in the morning I tried getting up I realized the right side of my neck was killing me. I can't tilt my head right at all without feeling excruciating pain and I can't turn it right very far either. I tried rubbing some A535 on it and I've taken a few advils but nothing's helping. The worst part is that now I'm constantly tilting my head to the left and that sides starting to hurt now too. So any advice?

ki46dinah, I need some advice.

So yesterday I was playing basketball, and I felt perfectly fine after. I went to sleep and when I got up in the morning I tried getting up I realized the right side of my neck was killing me. I can't tilt my head right at all without feeling excruciating pain and I can't turn it right very far either. I tried rubbing some A535 on it and I've taken a few advils but nothing's helping. The worst part is that now I'm constantly tilting my head to the left and that sides starting to hurt now too. So any advice?

1 question first, do you have any numbness or tingling in your arms or fingers?

Chances are you were in a funny sleeping position and strained some of the musculature in your neck...I could fix that in 2 minutes flat, but obviously I'm not there...you need a doc with some training, but there is one method you could try on your own without a physician.

Chances of it not working are high though, because it normally requires someone holding your head for you...but give this a shot...

Lay down on your bed again, with your head on your pillow. Rotate and tilt your head to the right into the way that hurts while it rests on the pillow. Find a position that when you rest your head down on the pillow again(with your head rotated and sidebent to the right), the pain stops. Place a few fingers on the muscles of your neck and feel around for the really tender spots...when you find one, put light pressure on it with your finger and sidebend your neck, and rotate your neck, a little to the right again.

Now with your neck sidebent and rotated to the right, and your finger placing light pressure, stay in this position for 60 seconds. When the 60 seconds is up, VERY slowly return your neck to the neutral starting position.

Dont stretch the muscles in your neck by rotating or sidebending your neck to the left...it will only make the muscles worse on the right. This is because the muscles are contracting down and have an energetic resting tone on your right side...from the funny sleeping position...and if you stretch them these microscopic springlike spindles in your neck detect the stretching to the damage muscle, and tell the muscle to contract even more...making the neck pain worse.

Its long winded, but give it a go...if you are still hurting on Monday really bad, look for a D.O. medical doctor in the community. Look for a D.O. that performs Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine in particular...they can fix you in no time flat.

Some MD's can do the Manipulative Medicine too....but arent taught it in school...so they can be more prone to giving pain meds and drowsiness meds...which do nothing for your problem.

1 question first, do you have any numbness or tingling in your arms or fingers?

Chances are you were in a funny sleeping position and strained some of the musculature in your neck...I could fix that in 2 minutes flat, but obviously I'm not there...you need a doc with some training, but there is one method you could try on your own without a physician.

Chances of it not working are high though, because it normally requires someone holding your head for you...but give this a shot...

Lay down on your bed again, with your head on your pillow. Rotate and tilt your head to the right into the way that hurts while it rests on the pillow. Find a position that when you rest your head down on the pillow again(with your head rotated and sidebent to the right), the pain stops. Place a few fingers on the muscles of your neck and feel around for the really tender spots...when you find one, put light pressure on it with your finger and sidebend your neck, and rotate your neck, a little to the right again.

Now with your neck sidebent and rotated to the right, and your finger placing light pressure, stay in this position for 60 seconds. When the 60 seconds is up, VERY slowly return your neck to the neutral starting position.

Dont stretch the muscles in your neck by rotating or sidebending your neck to the left...it will only make the muscles worse on the right. This is because the muscles are contracting down and have an energetic resting tone on your right side...from the funny sleeping position...and if you stretch them these microscopic springlike spindles in your neck detect the stretching to the damage muscle, and tell the muscle to contract even more...making the neck pain worse.

Its long winded, but give it a go...if you are still hurting on Monday really bad, look for a D.O. medical doctor in the community. Look for a D.O. that performs Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine in particular...they can fix you in no time flat.

Some MD's can do the Manipulative Medicine too....but arent taught it in school...so they can be more prone to giving pain meds and drowsiness meds...which do nothing for your problem.

Thanks a lot. I read your post right before I went to bed and I did what you told me. I don't know if I did it exactly how I was supposed to but it feels much better this morning. Yesterday, I couldn't even move. Today it's a little sore but it's not limiting my motion. I don't really know what happened. For the most part I never had numbness or tingling in my fingers but when I bent my neck the wrong way or moved my arm up the wrong way, it was almost like the whole side cramped up. When that happened it would hurt like **** for 5 or 10 seconds and I would feel my arm get numb. Either way it's fine now. I though this was something I would be feeling for a week. Thanks again.

Thanks a lot. I read your post right before I went to bed and I did what you told me. I don't know if I did it exactly how I was supposed to but it feels much better this morning. Yesterday, I couldn't even move. Today it's a little sore but it's not limiting my motion. I don't really know what happened. For the most part I never had numbness or tingling in my fingers but when I bent my neck the wrong way or moved my arm up the wrong way, it was almost like the whole side cramped up. When that happened it would hurt like **** for 5 or 10 seconds and I would feel my arm get numb. Either way it's fine now. I though this was something I would be feeling for a week. Thanks again.

good to hear, good to hear

sounds like you strained a neck muscle...probably your anterior and middle scalenes...and if you stretch them too hard when they are already strained, they can impinge on the grouping of nerves leading into your arm

I started my rigorous cardio routine today. I'm gonna try and start to get up from my chair at least once an hour every hour. Man is it tough though.

I started my rigorous cardio routine today. I'm gonna try and start to get up from my chair at least once an hour every hour. Man is it tough though.

rigorous? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was squating yesterday, good Friday, I was on set 3 rep 5, and when I went down I heard, and felt a pop in my right ankle, and when I woke up this morning it had swollen, and I havn't been able to walk properly all day. I was just wondering if I did some damage to that, I only have trouble when my heal touches the ground.

The swelling is on the top left of my ankle on the top of the foot it has turned purple, and it realy bad to put my heal on the floor.

I was squating yesterday, good Friday, I was on set 3 rep 5, and when I went down I heard, and felt a pop in my right ankle, and when I woke up this morning it had swollen, and I havn't been able to walk properly all day. I was just wondering if I did some damage to that, I only have trouble when my heal touches the ground.

Blah squats are so dangerous if your form is off by just a little bit. I was warming up light weight and I felt a little tight in my back, I went down about 5-6 times then I felt a sharp pain in my lower back, i'm pretty sure I pinched a nerve. I havent squatted since I stick to the leg press and hack squat.

Sorry I couldnt help you with ur problem I just wanted to share my squat story :(

Blah squats are so dangerous if your form is off by just a little bit. I was warming up light weight and I felt a little tight in my back, I went down about 5-6 times then I felt a sharp pain in my lower back, i'm pretty sure I pinched a nerve. I havent squatted since I stick to the leg press and hack squat.

Sorry I couldnt help you with ur problem I just wanted to share my squat story :(

Mine turned out to be from the pressure of the weight and the fact that I've progressed to fast my heal wasn't realy ready for the weight, mucles were fine but I fractured my heal. It should be good enough to go for saturday.

I don't know what was up with me today but I could not squat worth ****. I think it's kind of compounded by multiple things like I didn't drink enough water, didn't sleep enough last night, and I did some calf raises yesterday (don't know if that should mess it up). I had fairly light weight and the weight just felt heavy on my back and it just didn't feel right from the start. I also couldn't use perfect form today, unlike on Monday, even though we were doing sets of 10, 8, 6 and I increased the weight 5 pounds from Monday.

Hey ki46dinah, spring practice is starting pretty soon and we'll stop weight training at that time. In the meantime, I was wondering what I should do to stay in shape. I have a light bar at home with maybe 80-90 more pounds I could put on it. I was thinking I would do some jump squats or lunges and then some biceps/triceps exercises and maybe putting weight on my back while I do pushups. What would you recommend for sets and reps of jump squats and lunges? Or should I do some different exercises for my legs?