JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,864 posts in this topic

Alrighty, thanks. And what would you say about the BMI if they are lifting weights, as I currently am?

The average human being should have about 2200 calories a day, a person such as myself who is 220 lbs should consume about 3200 calories a day, but because I am an athltete, and I wish to stay at 220lbs with my current work-out routine I consume about 5150 calories a day, and average about 2 lbs lost a week, that's 8 a month.

It depends on 1 your size, 2 what you wish to do (do you wanna add mucle or lose weight), and 3 how much you're willing to put into a fitness routine. But a good baseline is 2200 calories a day, that's 1 Angus Burger with Chese, 1 Large Frie, and 1 Large Soda from McDonalds worth of intake a day, odviously you can eat healty and eat more to get to the same baseline.

That Viking just rolled and smoked a joint, awsome.

Alrighty, thanks. And what would you say about the BMI if they are lifting weights, as I currently am?

well, BMI is not appropriate for people with more than average amount of muscle mass....like if you are lifting multiple times a week....because BMI only takes into account height and weight

as we all know, muscle weighs more than fat does per equal volume

For example:

Darren Sproles is 5'7, and weighs 185....that gives him a BMI of 29, which is considered 'overweight' and borderline obese(+30)

Anquan Boldin is 6'1 and weighs 217....that gives him a BMI of 28.6, again overweight.

Michael Turner is 5'9 and weighs 235...he isnt skinny by any means, but is hardly fat...has an enormous BMI of 34.7.

So as you can see, muscle screws up your BMI considerably.

Also, BMI is not really accurate for people under the age of 15 or so, and not accurate for people over the age of 65.

Damd, Darren Sproles is morbily obese, awsome!

Where do they sell these ez-filters, Round hear we gotta cut card paper and make it into a filter.

lol i love powercleans (we did 3x5 today). i'm the only one in my group that can do them well. i did 155 4 times for my last set (well, second to last, actually. i did 115 10 times after we were supposed to be done with everything and leaving).

there was this kid in my group trying to do way too much weight. it was hilarious really. he is so worried about how he is doing compared to others that he won't make any progress imo. he went with 135 and here's what happened:

1st set: tries it, struggles to get it up twice.

2nd set: struggles to get it up once. i tell him he needs to deload. he doesn't.

3rd set: gets four reps in, but takes 10-15 second breaks in between (aren't you supposed to lift as soon as the bar touches the ground?). plus his form isn't that great. i repeat to him to deload, but he goes and says, "i got it four times. i don't need to let up on the weight."

i guess some people can't swallow their pride and deload.

on the other hand, there's one kid who doesn't do nearly enough. he really is ********. he looks and lifts like he's the best natural athlete in the weight room but does the weight every one else in MY group does. he really looks like he could work out with the running backs at least.

lol i love powercleans (we did 3x5 today). i'm the only one in my group that can do them well. i did 155 4 times for my last set (well, second to last, actually. i did 115 10 times after we were supposed to be done with everything and leaving).

there was this kid in my group trying to do way too much weight. it was hilarious really. he is so worried about how he is doing compared to others that he won't make any progress imo. he went with 135 and here's what happened:

1st set: tries it, struggles to get it up twice.

2nd set: struggles to get it up once. i tell him he needs to deload. he doesn't.

3rd set: gets four reps in, but takes 10-15 second breaks in between (aren't you supposed to lift as soon as the bar touches the ground?). plus his form isn't that great. i repeat to him to deload, but he goes and says, "i got it four times. i don't need to let up on the weight."

i guess some people can't swallow their pride and deload.

on the other hand, there's one kid who doesn't do nearly enough. he really is ********. he looks and lifts like he's the best natural athlete in the weight room but does the weight every one else in MY group does. he really looks like he could work out with the running backs at least.

:lol:

That reminds me of a kid that was on my team. The guy really should not have been playing football. He just didn't have the size (6' 140lbs soaking wet), strength or toughness. I think (not positive), that he felt he needed to play because one of his older brothers was on the team that won state. This guy would cry a couple of times always EVERY practice, even in spring before we had our pads. It got to the point where we made up a point system for making him cry, don't remember exactly what it was, but I think the coaches ended up with the most points (they were unaware of this, of course). One specific memory was during morning lifting in the winter, we were doing power cleans, and he couldn't complete the set (we did 5x5) at 135lbs, and started crying out of frustration. At this point me and a couple of others are just busting up, but the cherry on top was that after a few seconds had gone by, and the crying stopped, he kicked the bar with his foot, hurting himself, and he started crying again.

That reminds me of a kid that was on my team. The guy really should not have been playing football. He just didn't have the size (6' 140lbs soaking wet), strength or toughness. I think (not positive), that he felt he needed to play because one of his older brothers was on the team that won state. This guy would cry a couple of times always EVERY practice, even in spring before we had our pads. It got to the point where we made up a point system for making him cry, don't remember exactly what it was, but I think the coaches ended up with the most points (they were unaware of this, of course). One specific memory was during morning lifting in the winter, we were doing power cleans, and he couldn't complete the set (we did 5x5) at 135lbs, and started crying out of frustration. At this point me and a couple of others are just busting up, but the cherry on top was that after a few seconds had gone by, and the crying stopped, he kicked the bar with his foot, hurting himself, and he started crying again.

**** dude. i have played football and seen a wuss or two out there, but wow. i remember this kid in middle school who was really soft and the people who secretly didn't want to be out there would go against him in the tackling drills. there's always that "one kid" though. it must be really embarrassing as a coach to teach your kids to be macho and some d-bag starts crying over not being able to lift that much weight.

we have one kid i'm looking forward to jacking up this year if i end up playing safety. he hasn't played football his entire life and went to the weight room for like two weeks and quit. he's slow as molasses and is ultra skinny for his height (6'3" about 135). i remember sitting next to these girls at lunch that were making fun of him behind his back because he ate so much but his body looks like an anorexic lindsay lohan.

any way to cure weak ankles? every time i play basketball i sprain it at least once. (like in pick up games)

I ice it every 15 mins at a time. But its really buging me

any way to cure weak ankles? every time i play basketball i sprain it at least once. (like in pick up games)

ankle sprains are though...and although this isnt everyone, generally when youve had some bad ankle sprains, it only goes downhill because the ligaments get very lax

running on moderately uneven terrain though, like on dirt/mulch paths will help because your body will develop better proprioception to adverse angular movement to the ankle

ankle sprains are though...and although this isnt everyone, generally when youve had some bad ankle sprains, it only goes downhill because the ligaments get very lax

running on moderately uneven terrain though, like on dirt/mulch paths will help because your body will develop better proprioception to adverse angular movement to the ankle

You know your the WFW of his thread right? :)

yeah i try. Thanks :)

Stop getting crossed-over. :lol:

Stop getting crossed-over. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: that was cold..

not even gonna try a comeback

Tough it out like a man, I tore both achiles tendons in my senior year, if I chose for surgery I'd miss the remander of my senior year, I wasn't willing to do that, so with about a roll of tape a game, I fought through 8 more regular season games, and 4 playoff games in route to a Championship, I took home the Angus Reid most insparational athelete award for the provence and won the same thing for the contry that year, but trust me it didn't come easy, I rember the first playoff game, both ankles bled for the entire day and I still played.

Trust me Perks became a trusted allie that year.

As for your pain, ask your doctor, ankles are tough because they're a smaller weaker joint and absoultly all of your body weight is on them, if you can imagine the tork put on that tiny little tendon when a 220 lbs man turns on a dime, so ankle's do have a tendency to just be a nagging injury that you have to play through.

Tough it out like a man, I tore both achiles tendons in my senior year, if I chose for surgery I'd miss the remander of my senior year, I wasn't willing to do that, so with about a roll of tape a game, I fought through 8 more regular season games, and 4 playoff games in route to a Championship, I took home the Angus Reid most insparational athelete award for the provence and won the same thing for the contry that year, but trust me it didn't come easy, I rember the first playoff game, both ankles bled for the entire day and I still played.

Trust me Perks became a trusted allie that year.

As for your pain, ask your doctor, ankles are tough because they're a smaller weaker joint and absoultly all of your body weight is on them, if you can imagine the tork put on that tiny little tendon when a 220 lbs man turns on a dime, so ankle's do have a tendency to just be a nagging injury that you have to play through.

i played throught it the whole season, well about, i played with it for 10 games, and 3 playoff games tell we lost in the chapionship -_-

****ed up my ankle yesterday hoopin.. super weird its not bruised today, but i feel pain if i put any real weight on it. its so bizzare, its the right foot on the right side right near the bottom of my foot.

I have turned ankles before but this is way different.

Any suggestions K?

****ed up my ankle yesterday hoopin.. super weird its not bruised today, but i feel pain if i put any real weight on it. its so bizzare, its the right foot on the right side right near the bottom of my foot.

Any suggestions K?

rest, ice, elevate

if it still hurts to the point where you have difficulty walking in 3 days or so, go to your doctor....sounds like a grade II sprain or maybe worse, which means you might have hurt your calcaneofibular ligament...or it might be a break in a tarsal bone or the calcaneus/cuboid bones

....or it could just be a bruise....so give it 2 or 3 days of rest, ice, elevation....stay off of it aigt, and if it doesnt get better in a few days, go get it checked

rest, ice, elevate

if it still hurts to the point where you have difficulty walking in 3 days or so, go to your doctor....sounds like a grade II sprain or maybe worse, which means you might have hurt your calcaneofibular ligament...or it might be a break in a tarsal bone or the calcaneus/cuboid bones

....or it could just be a bruise....so give it 2 or 3 days of rest, ice, elevation....stay off of it aigt, and if it doesnt get better in a few days, go get it checked

okay, will do.. I can walk on it, its just a little tender, I Iced the **** out of it yesterday & did the same this AM.

I am starting to realize I am now 28 & not 21 anymore & my body needs time to recoup after going hard for like 4 hrs on the basketball court.

Are you in Phoenix?? do you listen to Old Skool Hip Hop??

Any suggestions K?

yeah thats about the same part as me.

Lots of ice and rest always helps.

Are you in Phoenix?? do you listen to Old Skool Hip Hop??

1st question: yeah, I'm in Phoenix right now...i kinda scoot around the west a little bit with different medical rotations...but I spend most of my year in the Phoenix valley

2nd question: who doesnt listen to Old Skool Hip Hop? There are 2 stations out here that usually fit the bill for me.

1st question: yeah, I\'m in Phoenix right now...i kinda scoot around the west a little bit with different medical rotations...but I spend most of my year in the Phoenix valley

2nd question: who doesnt listen to Old Skool Hip Hop? There are 2 stations out here that usually fit the bill for me.

you should check out my show with MC Serch & Charlie Huero on Sunday Nights 6-8p on Power 98.3.. www.theoldskoolshow.com

yeah thats about the same part as me.

Lots of ice and rest always helps.

already better tonight, im going to stay away from any cardio for the rest of the wk just to be safe

you should check out my show with MC Serch & Charlie Huero on Sunday Nights 6-8p on Power 98.3.. www.theoldskoolshow.com

sunday nights are usually bad for me...but I'll do that

sunday nights are usually bad for me...but I\'ll do that

cool, let me know what u think. we play mostly 90s stuff (the audience is young), but I slide some 80s in as well.

& the ankle is basically pain free today, but im still going to stay off it all week.