JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,864 posts in this topic

Most important thing at this point, in my opinion, would be to continue to clean up the diet aspect.

You need to eat 3 meals a day...minimum. No ands, ifs, or buts about that one.

Breakfast is really the most important meal of the day, even if that just means a protein bar or a bagel or SOMETHING. Get some nutrition in you early upon rising.

Coffee and tea, in a all honesty, are really good for you as long as you lay off the milk/sugar. Substituting out the 'real' stuff for calorie free alternatives will save you upwards of 1 to 200 calories a day...x7 days = up to 1400 calories a week SAVED.

Make sure fruits and veggies and integral in your diet as well.

For the exercising, with your current limitations, I would recommend investing in a barbell and some weight, or 2 dumbells that you can add your own weight to. Also, one of those pullup/doorway bar things are a wonderful tool. If you those 2 things from a used sporting goods store, it would cost you less than 50 bucks...and the uses for them are uncountable.

I'll start going with the fake sugars, or trying to substitute that 2nd and 3rd cups of coffee with milk, water, or juice of some sort. I'm truly ignorant when it comes to what's good for you and what's not. For breakfast, I'd prefer to just have some buttered toast, but I'm sure the butter is bad for me as well.

I'll start going with the fake sugars, or trying to substitute that 2nd and 3rd cups of coffee with milk, water, or juice of some sort. I'm truly ignorant when it comes to what's good for you and what's not. For breakfast, I'd prefer to just have some buttered toast, but I'm sure the butter is bad for me as well.

a little butter a day wont do any damage...think of that butter as a vehicle that gets you to the breakfast table...eventually, eating breakfast will become habitual, and you will dispense with the vehicle(butter)

a little butter a day wont do any damage...think of that butter as a vehicle that gets you to the breakfast table...eventually, eating breakfast will become habitual, and you will dispense with the vehicle(butter)

Sounds good. I'm amazed at how fast the weight is dropping though. Down to 203 as of this morning.

Sounds good. I'm amazed at how fast the weight is dropping though. Down to 203 as of this morning.

I wouldnt worry about the weight so much, because when you begin to plateau some you might become discouraged....take pictures every 2 weeks to SEE the difference you are making in ur health.

Its not good to drop a lot of weight all at once. My friend went from 240 to 210 in no time is was sick for weeks.

Having said that. I need a work out plan. I'm currently 5'11, 168. I haven't really had a solid work out plan in my life, so I pretty much have no muscle at all.

Its not good to drop a lot of weight all at once. My friend went from 240 to 210 in no time is was sick for weeks.

Having said that. I need a work out plan. I'm currently 5'11, 168. I haven't really had a solid work out plan in my life, so I pretty much have no muscle at all.

This has happened with almost no work, when I was younger my metabolism was amazing, but then I got lazy I suppose. Just knocking out the fast food and soft drinks is mostly where the weight loss is coming from. I'm fairly active day to day, so I was kinda "maintaining."

by sticking up white people & pounding cheesefries?

Along w/ excercise. And if I had to guess, it's been water weight that I've been losing, because I know there's no way in **** there's 3lbs of fat gone.

went to the doc and he said i have tendonitis in my knees. what a great birthday present. he told me to ice my knees and take ibuprofen (sp?).

he also told me protein shakes are bad.

i also had a track meet today and ran in the 4x100 for jv. we absolutely destroyed the other jv teams with a time of 46.71. it was .07 slower than the last time we ran it, but we lost a pretty good sprinter to the varsity 4x100. our varsity team lost by .06 and ran a 44.5.

went to the doc and he said i have tendonitis in my knees. what a great birthday present. he told me to ice my knees and take ibuprofen (sp?).

i also had a track meet today and ran in the 4x100 for jv. we absolutely destroyed the other jv teams with a time of 46.71. it was .07 slower than the last time we ran it, but we lost a pretty good sprinter to the varsity 4x100. our varsity team lost by .06 and ran a 44.5.

I had tendoitis in my right knee during my senior year. After practice, you should go to your trainer and get the ice, as directed.

I had tendoitis in my right knee during my senior year. After practice, you should go to your trainer and get the ice, as directed.

i'll see what i can do. i'll probably just ice it at home though.i have it in both of my knees, but it is certainly more significant in my right knee than my left.

how are your knees now?

how are your knees now?

My knee is fine now, but it didn't really get better until after the season, as rest is a key part of treament for it and I continued through practice / weight training as if nothing was wrong.

On a side note: Summer '06 I was playing broomball, and I ate **** and landed dead on my right knee pretty bad. I didn't notice right away, but right about where my patella is, there's a bit of a dip. It was really painful, so I went to the trainer on the next school day. He noticed it as well, and check my left knee, in the same spot, but no dip. I went to see my doctor, he checked it out too and found the same thing. He took an xray, but it came back clean. He was unable to figure out what was wrong, and to this day, it's still tender and aches from time to time. I remember my trainer made me this special cushion for it....

Your physician has no idea what he/she is talking about then....at least in relation to protein supplements.

While I will agree that there is no peer reviewed research to add validity to the claims that nutrition companies make about protein powder, there is absolutely nothing 'bad' about them.

Along w/ excercise. And if I had to guess, it's been water weight that I've been losing, because I know there's no way in **** there's 3lbs of fat gone.

You can gain and lose like 5 pounds of a water weight everyday.

With summer quickly approaching, I figured it's time to get working on the beach bod. I weighed myself this morning and I'm at 210lbs, and I'd like to lose 10-15lbs of fat. Any and all tips appreciated....

My routine is something of a P90X rip-off, accualy I jacked the concept and then tailored it to a power-lifting routine.

Simple start with 15 minutes of Cardio, high-intesity, (I do eliptical level 10, at 9.5-10 mph (kph)), then do 2 supersets, such as bench/lat row, and bisept curl/tricept dip, between sets give yourself at most 15 seconds to breath (it add's a cardio element to the weights) do each thing 4 times, eg bench once, lat row once, bench again, lat row, bench lat row, bench, lat row done, move on to bi-curl, tri, bi, tri,bi, tri. Then Back to Cardio high intesity for 5 minutes, then do a chest fly/sholder raise set, same thing as the last two, then superset abs, do a sidebend, mixed with any sit-up you know (the hardest one), I like Clamshells you can learn howto do them on the internet. The 8 Minutes of Cardio on Medium intesity to lousen up, stretch and go home.

You should leave this exasted but if you do it on pace, you'll skinny up and get jacked realy fast (I average about 10 pounds (4%) a month is weight loss), ohh yeah and so you know I leave the gym exausted so I blaze most everday afterwards.

I do it every week-day, rember to do Legs on Tue/Thursday, just plug in leg workouts where the upperbody ones are, and keep the abs set they heal fast, ohh yeah do heavy weights and a low amount of reps, eg bench 275 4 times, then lat raise 170 lbs 6 times, and remeber the weed is the key to happyness.

I've about given up on losing my beer gut. People say losing weight isn't that hard, I find it physically impossible to step away from food, and maintain a decent diet. The exercise part is alright, I just have to motivate myself enough, but I don't see how people do it with the munchies.

I do it by working out at a pace and on a level that's impossible, the munchies do get me self conciss though.

Your physician has no idea what he/she is talking about then....at least in relation to protein supplements.

While I will agree that there is no peer reviewed research to add validity to the claims that nutrition companies make about protein powder, there is absolutely nothing 'bad' about them.

Thinking back on it, he just said creatine is bad because it ruptures your kidneys. He basically said protein shakes are pointless and eating steak would be a much better way to go. He said that you can't absorb as much protein from protein shakes because it doesn't have enough enzymes to activate them or whatever (biology sucks so i'm not sure what he said).

Thinking back on it, he just said creatine is bad because it ruptures your kidneys. He basically said protein shakes are pointless and eating steak would be a much better way to go. He said that you can't absorb as much protein from protein shakes because it doesn't have enough enzymes to activate them or whatever (biology sucks so i'm not sure what he said).

There arent really any peer reviewed studies AGAINST creatine...but if there was a popular OTC sports supplement that MIGHT have a negative physiological effect, it MIGHT be creatine. The negatives probably revolve around its hydrostatic effects on the body, which ultimately have to be compensated by the kidneys.

The downside to protein shakes with absorption is that protein sources, like whey, tend to be flushed out of the body more rapidly than...say for example a steak.

That is why casein protein powder mixes, and not whey, may have a more beneficial role. Casein protein sources form micelles in your GI tract after you ingest them(like little protein balls) that take longer to break down.

Studies have shown though that your body can only effectively take up a certain portion of protein in one go....and that # is debateable...but many feel it is in the high teens to low 20 range for 1 serving in 1 hours time.

Hey ki46dinah,

Is there a formula for ammount of calories you need to intake, to maintain at your current weight? I remember something like your body weight times x.

Hey ki46dinah,

Is there a formula for ammount of calories you need to intake, to maintain at your current weight? I remember something like your body weight times x.

i'm not a fan of formulas personally, especially for people that incorporate a fair amount of exercise into their lifestyle

if there is a formula, I dont use it or recommend it, but rather tell people to find a personal balance in nutrition that works for them and keeps their BMI below 24.5(if they arent lifting weights)

i'm not a fan of formulas personally, especially for people that incorporate a fair amount of exercise into their lifestyle

if there is a formula, I dont use it or recommend it, but rather tell people to find a personal balance in nutrition that works for them and keeps their BMI below 24.5(if they arent lifting weights)

Alrighty, thanks. And what would you say about the BMI if they are lifting weights, as I currently am?