JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,864 posts in this topic

Yes, I get pain in a muscle or something near the lower rib cage. There's no numbness or tingling anywhere or at any time. My back is also feeling better from yesterday.

well thats good...it sounds like a strain that happened to 'pop' a vertebrae when you were doing the movement....BUT, if it persists to any degree, it would be a sound idea to get it checked

pumped up for weight training tomorrow... did 255 as my max on squats on thursday and gonna try to get at least 265 and take a crack at 275 if 265 goes fine.

pumped up for weight training tomorrow... did 255 as my max on squats on thursday and gonna try to get at least 265 and take a crack at 275 if 265 goes fine.

good luck

never really got to do my max today on squats. no biggie. we did 10(185), 8(205), and 6(225). by the third set i was completely exhausted, so i still have confidence that i could go and do at least 260 on squats. god that was exhausting though. then i had to run bleachers and a couple of 100m races.

never really got to do my max today on squats. no biggie. we did 10(185), 8(205), and 6(225). by the third set i was completely exhausted, so i still have confidence that i could go and do at least 260 on squats. god that was exhausting though. then i had to run bleachers and a couple of 100m races.

I'm really off and on when it comes to squats. Somedays I feel like I could do all the weight I want to but other days I get really dizzy when I do them and almost feel like passing out. Latley i've been going pretty light though because its hurting my lower back, but squats arent really my priority since I'm going to basic training in a couple months. I'm just trying to gain a little weight run a good timed 2 mile and do a good amount of push ups and sits up in 1 minute.

Wow my team, the Vancouver Trojans (our season is 1/2 played before tryout camps for UW), opened up camp with a combine test.

I scored a 4.31 40 yard dash time (I expected to still hang around 4.4/4.5 rang so that was a huge boost to my ego, I pumped out 13 reps of 225 on the bench, I 1 rep maxed squats at 495 lbs (5 plates), Vertcal leap registered at 39 inches, 9'9 inches in the broad jump. 7.01 in the 3 cone drill, 4.05 in 20 yard shuttle, and 11.20 in the 50 yard shuttle.

meaning, I would have the fastest 40 time of all running backs at this years combine, 3rd highest vertical, 11th broad jump, 15th in 3 cone drill, 1st in 20 yard shuttle, 2nd in the 60 yards shuttle, and 34th on the bench press, the NFL combine dose not test squat for running-backs. Which is pretty good, I have all the speed I need, now I just need to add 20 lbs of mass, and get my bench into a decent NFL running-back range and I feel like I will be able to dominate this season, and btw No I am not in High-school, I graduated last year as a 270 lbs DT, this year I'm a 200 lbs RB playin' for the trjoans, and in september I will be at the University of Washington hopefully you guys can catch one of my games.

Heyward-Bey, Darrius

who ran a 4.3 40 yard dash, is the only player that beat me in the 40 yard dash, to be fair I was hand timed (favorably) on all of those, but still I think I did a decent job running.

I'm really off and on when it comes to squats. Somedays I feel like I could do all the weight I want to but other days I get really dizzy when I do them and almost feel like passing out. Latley i've been going pretty light though because its hurting my lower back, but squats arent really my priority since I'm going to basic training in a couple months. I'm just trying to gain a little weight run a good timed 2 mile and do a good amount of push ups and sits up in 1 minute.

i've never gotten dizzy after squats but i sure do lose my breath after doing them. i need to be doing more 10, 8, 6 and 3x10 sets rather than 3x5 or 3x3 because i am pretty sure 10, 8, 6 and 3x10 help more with speed. and yet again i had more disappointing placements today at track in the 100m and 200m races. i did pretty good in the 4x100 though.

I go with 4x10 sets of squats at 315 which is managable for me, hard but managable, they don't realy help with speed (mabey a little), but you'll see drastic improvments in power, and strength. A good one for speed is the ham-string negative, if you have it, a decline bench, and just lay it flat, put your knees on the end of the bench (so that the thing that holds you up when you're doin' the decline bench press pins your knee's in), then using your hamstrings to slow your decent slowly (between 8-10 seconds) lower your body to the bench (at first put your hands in front of you cause you will fall), then use your legs to pull your body back up to where you're on your knees again. That will absoultly destroy your hamstrings for 2 days, and when it recovers you'll be about .1 fast accross 40 yards, do it for 6 months and you'll be blowing kids out of the freakin' water with your speed.

With summer quickly approaching, I figured it's time to get working on the beach bod. I weighed myself this morning and I'm at 210lbs, and I'd like to lose 10-15lbs of fat. Any and all tips appreciated....

With summer quickly approaching, I figured it's time to get working on the beach bod. I weighed myself this morning and I'm at 210lbs, and I'd like to lose 10-15lbs of fat. Any and all tips appreciated....

cardio 3 times a week, high intensity, shorter duration stuff(like 30 minutes)

lift 4 days a week

reduce your total carb count to 50 grams or less a day

...lunch and dinner should have few to no appreciable carb foods(like breads, pasta, rice, etc)

you'll be ready for a **** competition if you do that

lift 4 days a week

...lunch and dinner should have few to no appreciable carb foods(like breads, pasta, rice, etc)

Thanks. Care to elaborate on the underlined part?

Thanks. Care to elaborate on the underlined part?

yeah, just make sure its a tough 30 minutes of cardio...not just leisure time

intervals are nice as well....so like 15 hard minutes on the bike, then 15 hard minutes on the treadmill

yeah, just make sure its a tough 30 minutes of cardio...not just leisure time

intervals are nice as well....so like 15 hard minutes on the bike, then 15 hard minutes on the treadmill

You should also note that not just anyone can/should be doing HIIT cardio. Especially not somone who hasnt done anything like that in awhile.

lift 4 days a week

50 carbs seems kinda low if he wants to actually build some muscle while losing the fat. I think people (not pointing at you) get the wrong idea about carbs. Carbs and fat are essential in building muscle along with protein. You just need to know when to eat them.

I agree that you dont want them for dinner though. You should ingest them before you go to work out.

You should also note that not just anyone can/should be doing HIIT cardio. Especially not somone who hasnt done anything like that in awhile.

I'm sure I'll be fine doing HIIT. I've done some things in my short time. :lol:

I'm sure I'll be fine doing HIIT. I've done some things in my short time. :lol:

Yeah I remember you talking about being active at some point. It's just the HIIT isnt for everyone. You literally feel like you're going to die once you are finished (if done properly).

If on a tred I would start out at a light jog (maybe 6mph) at a incline of your choice and then bump it up to sprint (around 10mph). You can sprint at 10 for 60 seconds then knock it down to 8/9 for another 60. Then just increase your time from there.

Yeah I remember you talking about being active at some point. It's just the HIIT isnt for everyone. You literally feel like you're going to die once you are finished (if done properly).

If on a tred I would start out at a light jog (maybe 6mph) at a incline of your choice and then bump it up to sprint (around 10mph). You can sprint at 10 for 60 seconds then knock it down to 8/9 for another 60. Then just increase your time from there.

Yup. I played soccer growing up, and played football throughout HS and was going to play in JUCO, along with just going to the gym and such. I even started getting into Muay Thai, albeit it was only for about a month (stopped because of my leg deal), and I would like to get back into it as some point.

50 carbs seems kinda low if he wants to actually build some muscle while losing the fat. I think people (not pointing at you) get the wrong idea about carbs. Carbs and fat are essential in building muscle along with protein. You just need to know when to eat them.

I agree that you dont want them for dinner though. You should ingest them before you go to work out.

The reasoning behind my statements were more directed at the person's potential goals...he mentioned fat loss as a primary concern in the short term future. If he had mentioned "I want to gain muscle while losing some fat" I would have tailored the initial comments a little bit differently.

I've about given up on losing my beer gut. People say losing weight isn't that hard, I find it physically impossible to step away from food, and maintain a decent diet. The exercise part is alright, I just have to motivate myself enough, but I don't see how people do it with the munchies.

willpower with food can be tough...and its not just something you do one time and you can always do it; i did body building for a while and was really strict for a few years...and I took a year off of the extreme eating habits, and its a bia to try and get back to...so i'm more moderate now, but I wont achieve the same physique I had when I was religious with what I ate.

I've about given up on losing my beer gut. People say losing weight isn't that hard, I find it physically impossible to step away from food, and maintain a decent diet. The exercise part is alright, I just have to motivate myself enough, but I don't see how people do it with the munchies.

Losing weight isnt hard but losing your stomach is a PITA. You need to get your body fat % into near single digits for abs to show through. Good diet and cardio will get that fat off but it will be tough.

Heck I've been eating clean and working out daily for near 6 months and I"m still not even close to being happy with mine.

Alright Ki46, see what you can help me with:

I gave up fast food and soft drinks for Lent, and have dropped from 216 lbs to 205 lbs since then. I've since decided to start exercising as well. I've NEVER been one to run, and probably haven't run a mile in close to 10 years. So yesterday I jogged/walked/ran 3 miles in 41:10(just under 14 minutes per). Not good, but moving. Today I jogged/walked/ran 2 miles in 25:45(just under 13 minutes per). I'm also doing crunches, and starting to do pushups. I don't have any weights at the house, and I don't have the time to get a gym membership. This isn't nearly enough time to see results, but where should I go from here?

As far as my diet goes, like I said, no fast food, no softdrinks, I mostly drink coffee(milk and sugar), water, and occasionally tea. I'll eat 1-2 meals a day, either sandwiches at lunch, or no lunch at all, and then I'll have supper. I know the diet needs to be fixed as well, but on the exercise aspect, what else can I mix in? When the weather warms up a bit, I'll be able to laps in the pool, but this is about all I have to my use right now.

Alright Ki46, see what you can help me with:

I gave up fast food and soft drinks for Lent, and have dropped from 216 lbs to 205 lbs since then. I've since decided to start exercising as well. I've NEVER been one to run, and probably haven't run a mile in close to 10 years. So yesterday I jogged/walked/ran 3 miles in 41:10(just under 14 minutes per). Not good, but moving. Today I jogged/walked/ran 2 miles in 25:45(just under 13 minutes per). I'm also doing crunches, and starting to do pushups. I don't have any weights at the house, and I don't have the time to get a gym membership. This isn't nearly enough time to see results, but where should I go from here?

As far as my diet goes, like I said, no fast food, no softdrinks, I mostly drink coffee(milk and sugar), water, and occasionally tea. I'll eat 1-2 meals a day, either sandwiches at lunch, or no lunch at all, and then I'll have supper. I know the diet needs to be fixed as well, but on the exercise aspect, what else can I mix in? When the weather warms up a bit, I'll be able to laps in the pool, but this is about all I have to my use right now.

Most important thing at this point, in my opinion, would be to continue to clean up the diet aspect.

You need to eat 3 meals a day...minimum. No ands, ifs, or buts about that one.

Breakfast is really the most important meal of the day, even if that just means a protein bar or a bagel or SOMETHING. Get some nutrition in you early upon rising.

Coffee and tea, in a all honesty, are really good for you as long as you lay off the milk/sugar. Substituting out the 'real' stuff for calorie free alternatives will save you upwards of 1 to 200 calories a day...x7 days = up to 1400 calories a week SAVED.

Make sure fruits and veggies and integral in your diet as well.

For the exercising, with your current limitations, I would recommend investing in a barbell and some weight, or 2 dumbells that you can add your own weight to. Also, one of those pullup/doorway bar things are a wonderful tool. If you those 2 things from a used sporting goods store, it would cost you less than 50 bucks...and the uses for them are uncountable.