JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,864 posts in this topic

I couldn't really walk without pain for the first two days, but now (five days later) it doesn't hurt so much when walking. It sounds like it is just a mild sprain, so I guess I will stay off of it for a while. That sucks though, I had just gotten my mile pace down to atround 6:45...

Thank you very much for the info!

no troubles....continue to lay off of it until it feels close to normal, this will minimize the slack the ligament will acquire(basically the more sprains u get the more mobile the ankle becomes, and thus becoming more unstable)

no troubles....continue to lay off of it until it feels close to normal, this will minimize the slack the ligament will acquire(basically the more sprains u get the more mobile the ankle becomes, and thus becoming more unstable)

I have been running about 5 days a week, an hour or so a day. I haven't done any activities since I hurt my ankle, but I would like to stay in shape for the next few weeks (marathon training for a race in May). Do you think swimming would exacerbate the ankle? Maybe use a leg bouy or something.

I have been running about 5 days a week, an hour or so a day. I haven't done any activities since I hurt my ankle, but I would like to stay in shape for the next few weeks (marathon training for a race in May). Do you think swimming would exacerbate the ankle? Maybe use a leg bouy or something.

i would be surprised if it gave u a problem swimming

wooooooooooooooooooo mutha ****a! 245 pounds on squat today. 70 more pounds to go.

Dont just focus on squats either...make sure u are doing some deadlifts and hamstring curls.

This will help at preventing hamstring injuries...which we all know are the bain of football players.

Dont just focus on squats either...make sure u are doing some deadlifts and hamstring curls.

This will help at preventing hamstring injuries...which we all know are the bain of football players.

i'm doing deadlifts on wednesday. i couldn't do hamstring curls but i was able to do straight leg deadlifts. i would have done leg curls but the weight room was way overcrowded and we didn't have enough places for people to workout at so lots of people were stuck at the only leg curls/extension machine we have.

i'm doing deadlifts on wednesday. i couldn't do hamstring curls but i was able to do straight leg deadlifts. i would have done leg curls but the weight room was way overcrowded and we didn't have enough places for people to workout at so lots of people were stuck at the only leg curls/extension machine we have.

ehh, what you did is the better option of the two anyways, good to hear you are keeping it balanced...that is key

ehh, what you did is the better option of the two anyways, good to hear you are keeping it balanced...that is key

hey ki46dinah my knees hurt from track practice, especially when we jump. i know it's not from squatting because this was going on way before i started getting in the weight room. the pain is in the patellar tendon. i've got two questions:

1. is this normal for someone my age (15)?

2. are there any exercises/stretches i can do to improve this condition or do i just have to ice it?

hey ki46dinah my knees hurt from track practice, especially when we jump. i know it's not from squatting because this was going on way before i started getting in the weight room. the pain is in the patellar tendon. i've got two questions:

1. is this normal for someone my age (15)?

2. are there any exercises/stretches i can do to improve this condition or do i just have to ice it?

Stretching is key my friend....but, there are a few conditions which you fall into the age and sex range for that stretching or almost anything can cure in the short term.

Oshgood Schlatter is one particular one that comes to mind when you stated your injury. You should have your doctor check you for this disease, because from the very limited information you have given me, it sounds like a classic case.

I'm not saying with certainty that is it Oshgood, but it would be best to have a physician in person check you for it. It is generally that too big of a deal, but just be proactive and go get it checked. Please.

Stretching is key my friend....but, there are a few conditions which you fall into the age and sex range for that stretching or almost anything can cure in the short term.

Oshgood Schlatter is one particular one that comes to mind when you stated your injury. You should have your doctor check you for this disease, because from the very limited information you have given me, it sounds like a classic case.

I'm not saying with certainty that is it Oshgood, but it would be best to have a physician in person check you for it. It is generally that too big of a deal, but just be proactive and go get it checked. Please.

Thanks. I looked it up and it sounds like a growing pain... as if I haven't had enough. I had sever's disease a couple years ago, and although it's not a pain I have acquired stretch marks on my back. And now this. Oh well, I'll try to get it checked out soon.

Thanks. I looked it up and it sounds like a growing pain... as if I haven't had enough. I had sever's disease a couple years ago, and although it's not a pain I have acquired stretch marks on my back. And now this. Oh well, I'll try to get it checked out soon.

Well its not 'growing pains' per se...which are real pains with no known etiology.

We understand the reasoning behind Oshgood, and it might show genetic based tendencies. It is something that should be looked into, as it can be far more dabilitating then 'growing pains'.

Well, I am going to the doctors on March 20 (16th birthday) because I have no school on that day. I'm really worried that I won't be able to play football until I'm a senior. :( Sitting out is going to suck but I don't think I can take it any more.

Hey ki46dinah, I have a question if you don't mind...

Monday night I was at the gym going about my usual routine, when during the middle of a lift (can't remember what I was doing), I felt a pop on the right side of my back. It didn't really hurt too much or too long (not more than 5-10 seconds), so I didn't really think much of it. Come Tuesday morning, the right side of my back is in a lot of pain. Doing anything caused additional discomfort so I didn't do much, besides going to the pool / jaccuzi which seemed to help. It's now Thursday, and although it isn't as bad, it is still bothering me. When I move my head downwards, I can feel a muscle in my back pull very tight, causing some pain. Now I'm not sure if this pain in my back has to do w/ what I felt at the gym, or if it's because of my ****** mattress. Any idea what it might be if it has to do with what happened at the gym? Thanks.

Hey ki46dinah, I have a question if you don't mind...

Monday night I was at the gym going about my usual routine, when during the middle of a lift (can't remember what I was doing), I felt a pop on the right side of my back. It didn't really hurt too much or too long (not more than 5-10 seconds), so I didn't really think much of it. Come Tuesday morning, the right side of my back is in a lot of pain. Doing anything caused additional discomfort so I didn't do much, besides going to the pool / jaccuzi which seemed to help. It's now Thursday, and although it isn't as bad, it is still bothering me. When I move my head downwards, I can feel a muscle in my back pull very tight, causing some pain. Now I'm not sure if this pain in my back has to do w/ what I felt at the gym, or if it's because of my ****** mattress. Any idea what it might be if it has to do with what happened at the gym? Thanks.

Man, its tough to say...any good doc would want to palpate the problem in conjunction with Xrays.

It sounds like a muscle strain, maybe one of the iliocostalis/longissimus/semispinalis or psoas...but a pop might mean worse.

Can you localize the pain to a specific area? Give me detailed descriptions if you can....and where did you 'feel' that pop at?

Well, I am going to the doctors on March 20 (16th birthday) because I have no school on that day. I'm really worried that I won't be able to play football until I'm a senior. :( Sitting out is going to suck but I don't think I can take it any more.

arent you guys done with football season anyways? you'll miss what...spring practice?

no sir/mam...just a medical student

sir

dope you sound real educated.

I would ask you about my shin splints that I have dealt with for the past 7 years but the moment I turned 27 they went away

now my jumper is like Kobe in his prime.

Man, its tough to say...any good doc would want to palpate the problem in conjunction with Xrays.

It sounds like a muscle strain, maybe one of the iliocostalis/longissimus/semispinalis or psoas...but a pop might mean worse.

Can you localize the pain to a specific area? Give me detailed descriptions if you can....and where did you 'feel' that pop at?

The pain seems to be on right side, near the lower portion of my rib cage (this is also where I recall feeling the pop, but I could be wrong). When I'm not doing anything to really stretch that muscle, it's a bit sore. And it really only causes pain when I move my head downward, as if to look at my feet. Sorry I can't be too detailed.

arent you guys done with football season anyways? you'll miss what...spring practice?

From what I've read it sounds like I'm going to have to rest until the pain subsides and then wait 2-4 months after that. Seeing as I haven't done anything about it but known about it for a while, the recovery process may take longer than usual. I was guessing that I'd be out of exercise for a long time if that's the case. Plus I'm still growing taller.

How long does it usually take for the pain to go away? Is it possible that I could talk to the doctor to prescribe me medicine to stop inflammation of my knees and just lower my amount of exercise instead of quitting it all together (ex. still do squats but quit track and stop agilities at our workouts)? I really don't want to fall behind with the strength part of it because being the weakest kid on the field can be a pain in the ***.

The pain seems to be on right side, near the lower portion of my rib cage (this is also where I recall feeling the pop, but I could be wrong). When I\'m not doing anything to really stretch that muscle, it\'s a bit sore. And it really only causes pain when I move my head downward, as if to look at my feet. Sorry I can\'t be too detailed.

man up Bill

rub a lil dirt on it

sir

dope you sound real educated.

I would ask you about my shin splints that I have dealt with for the past 7 years but the moment I turned 27 they went away

now my jumper is like Kobe in his prime.

Thanks for the props, and it sounds like I should be talkin to you about gettin my shot down then.

From what I've read it sounds like I'm going to have to rest until the pain subsides and then wait 2-4 months after that. Seeing as I haven't done anything about it but known about it for a while, the recovery process may take longer than usual. I was guessing that I'd be out of exercise for a long time if that's the case. Plus I'm still growing taller.

How long does it usually take for the pain to go away? Is it possible that I could talk to the doctor to prescribe me medicine to stop inflammation of my knees and just lower my amount of exercise instead of quitting it all together (ex. still do squats but quit track and stop agilities at our workouts)? I really don't want to fall behind with the strength part of it because being the weakest kid on the field can be a pain in the ***.

Some non-steroidal anti-inflammatories are about the only thing that would OK for you to use....motrin/ibuprofen for example...no way I would throw cortisone shots in there or give you anything higher for pain at this point.

And the pain length is variable from person to person, but that would be a good question to ask your doc because he or she will have a more clear picture of what is going on ya know?

I understand its a very painful process, but it will work out in the end. Its just hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel right now. Go see your doc like u said u were going to, and lay off for a little bit.

The pain seems to be on right side, near the lower portion of my rib cage (this is also where I recall feeling the pop, but I could be wrong). When I'm not doing anything to really stretch that muscle, it's a bit sore. And it really only causes pain when I move my head downward, as if to look at my feet. Sorry I can't be too detailed.

To make sure i'm getting you, you get pain in the lower rib cage when you look down at your feet?

Do you get any numbness or tingling anywhere on your body at any time(including looking at your feet)?

To make sure i'm getting you, you get pain in the lower rib cage when you look down at your feet?

Do you get any numbness or tingling anywhere on your body at any time(including looking at your feet)?

Yes, I get pain in a muscle or something near the lower rib cage. There's no numbness or tingling anywhere or at any time. My back is also feeling better from yesterday.