JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,864 posts in this topic

Be realistic with yourself.

You wont get stronger every workout, or every week, even when you are still relatively new to working out.

Again, just be realistic.

thanks.

Well, I think I was overtraining. I was lifting right but not getting an adequate amount of protein and not receiving enough sleep (or either one of the two). Today I felt really good because I had a good amount of protein after my workout yesterday (drank a protein shake but these past couple of weeks I haven't been) and I didn't really get much sleep (about 6.5-7 hours) but I didn't get much sleep because I started sleeping at 8:30 and woke up at 11. I then couldn't get to sleep until about 2 and woke up at 6:45. Man I felt like **** yesterday though and today was a total 180.

Sorry to hear about that...i'm glad to hear you still have the function of your leg though.

And to answer your question, yeah I played rugby for the University of Georgia.

I started at Fullback(in rugby) for the last 2 games of my freshman season when a senior got hurt, then played right wing for 3 straight years. I played every position in the backline at various times throughout my career though.

I love rugby, I played every position in the front 8, and fullback once, I was gonna play a UBC but I decided to focus on Football after high-school (well they gave the better scholarship) I wasn't a big fan of playing full-back it's like Kick-returning without any blocks.

I'm having a monster year, Last year I weight in at 270 and 47% body fat, in terrible shape they put me in as a NT (second last on the depth chart), near the end of the year injuries happend and I got into the final 2 games of the year as the starter. In those 2 games I had 3 sacks, I went into the off-season **** bent on going back to playing Linebacker, December 29th 2008 I scaled in at 198 lbs, 21 % body fat, febuary 1st I scaled in at 221 lbs, and 17% body fat. On top of that my 40 yard dash went from 5.1, all the way up to 4.5 bench from 1 rep of 185, up to 11 reps of 225, this spring I'll be heading over to the university of Washington to try out at Linebacker/Tailback.

My highschool rugby coach called me the perfect storm, fast enough to run with the backs, strong enough to toss the props around, and on top of being one of the biggest players in the divisions I've got moves like Barry Sanders. As a defender in the open feild you have to worry about me pulling out a juke move, or just putting my shoulder down and bulling you over. At 5'11 221 lbs with a 4.5 40 I think that I can make an impact at ethier position, but I have a feeling I should go out for tailback because I have to potential to be one of the best running-backs anywhere, 2 we're very thin at that position, and 3 I'm about the ideal size/build for the position right upto the pro-level.

I love rugby, I played every position in the front 8, and fullback once, I was gonna play a UBC but I decided to focus on Football after high-school (well they gave the better scholarship) I wasn't a big fan of playing full-back it's like Kick-returning without any blocks.

I went the opposite way, I decided not to play football post high school because of the time commitment...instead I went on a rugby/academic scholarship. I still got to hit people, but had only 4 days of the week taken up with training.

Its funny you mention fullback...the first time I ever played in an A-side game was when our star fullback got hurt...and I was a proposed swing man for any of the backline positions.

So I finished out my freshman season with 4 A side starts at fullback.

Then I moved to right wing and played that for my final 3 years...I would slide all around into different spots though if people got hurt.

Bench 315, (x 2 reps)*superset with lats x4, total 8 reps.

Squat 455 (x 8 reps)*superset with abs x4 total 32 reps

Dead 495 (x8 reps)*superset with chest flys x4 total 32 reps.

I don't do a straight power workout, I superset and use mucle confusion, to emprove mucle endurace, so my numbers are considerably lower than if I just did 1 rep power reps, but those are the highest posted #'s from my work-out yesterday and sunday.

I went the opposite way, I decided not to play football post high school because of the time commitment...instead I went on a rugby/academic scholarship. I still got to hit people, but had only 4 days of the week taken up with training.

Its funny you mention fullback...the first time I ever played in an A-side game was when our star fullback got hurt...and I was a proposed swing man for any of the backline positions.

So I finished out my freshman season with 4 A side starts at fullback.

Then I moved to right wing and played that for my final 3 years...I would slide all around into different spots though if people got hurt.

I bounced around the whole front 8 because in high-school I wanted to play with the grade 12's when I was in grade 9, so I played hooker and prop then, then in grade 10 I played second row, in grade 11 they tryed me a 8 man to use my athletisum to score, before trying me at full-back for a game, in the final 2 games of that year they tryed me at flank where I could still factor into the offense but more-so to use my speed to destroy opposing offense's. In Grade 11 we we're undefeated provincial champs, and in Grade 12 with me now a full-time open-side flanker we agian went undefeated and walked of with the provincial title.

Open Flanker is the spot for me, I love to destroy teams back row offense using my speed to track a play sideline-to-sideline, and it still give me the oppertunity to make the big play run, but time was a big problem so I had to chose one, and I got a full ride to play football or a partial to play rugby and I didn't wanna take out a student loan so I took football.

Also if you have the ablity, tie a weight to a string, the string to a pipe, and twist the pipe untill the string is wraped around the pipe and the weight is up where the pipe is, un-ravel the string slowly till the weight hits the ground, this will work your entire forearm.

For the most part forearms don't need to be worked out because they're active in stabilizing any weight you hold in your hands, also if you hold a dumbell say a 20 and twist your wrist around spining the weight you'll get a less effective forearm workout.

Also if you have the ablity, tie a weight to a string, the string to a pipe, and twist the pipe untill the string is wraped around the pipe and the weight is up where the pipe is, un-ravel the string slowly till the weight hits the ground, this will work your entire forearm.

For the most part forearms don't need to be worked out because they're active in stabilizing any weight you hold in your hands, also if you hold a dumbell say a 20 and twist your wrist around spining the weight you'll get a less effective forearm workout.

That is a KILLER forarm workout we used to have that string attached to a rope thing at our gym in highschool.

I'm really disappointed and angry. Today I had the intrasquad track meet and did TERRIBLE. I'm REALLY disappointed. I thought I was faster than I ran compared to others. Plus my dad has really been pissing me off today so I haven't had the best day. I'm going to try to turn this disappointment and anger into motivation when I go into the weight room tomorrow and in the future. I think I will post the results on my wall today just to take a gander at every once in a while for motivation. Here's what happened:

I came into the event with a sore hamstring and the muscles around the hamstring from leg biceps curls from Monday, but I don't think that should be an excuse.

100m - 13/16

200m - somewhere around the same as the 100m, but I can't remember

400m - 16/28

After the 400m race I felt as if my hamstring was going to pop or burst or whatever. It hurt like **** for about 20 minutes after that race. This is a huge letdown.

I'm really disappointed and angry. Today I had the intrasquad track meet and did TERRIBLE. I'm REALLY disappointed. I thought I was faster than I ran compared to others. Plus my dad has really been pissing me off today so I haven't had the best day. I'm going to try to turn this disappointment and anger into motivation when I go into the weight room tomorrow and in the future. I think I will post the results on my wall today just to take a gander at every once in a while for motivation. Here's what happened:

I came into the event with a sore hamstring and the muscles around the hamstring from leg biceps curls from Monday, but I don't think that should be an excuse.

100m - 13/16

400m - 16/28

After the 400m race I felt as if my hamstring was going to pop or burst or whatever. It hurt like **** for about 20 minutes after that race. This is a huge letdown.

hamstring strains are generally considered one of the hardest muscular strains to come back....make sure and take it easy for a minute

and sorry to hear about the dissapointing placings

hamstring strains are generally considered one of the hardest muscular strains to come back....make sure and take it easy for a minute

The thing that sucks is that I could have run a way better 400m if I had not gone to weight training on Monday. It's just the last 150m my hamstrings were absolutely killing me. My flexibility today was messed up also from doing hamstring workouts so my strides were probably a little shorter than usual. The 400m was just absolutely disappointing because I was running a good pace for the first 250m and then I slowed down a lot and couldn't do anything about it because my hamstrings were so tight. I don't think I strained anything, but I guess I'll find out at weight training tomorrow.

100m - 13/16

400m - 16/28

I dont get the times... :huh:

I find it strange when people post there 40 or 100 yard run times.

I ran a 9.9 100 m dash last week, and when I was 270 I was running it in just over 13 seconds, and I've always know that I've had tremedus speed for my size regardless of what that is, but if I trained and got into the type of shape Frank Gore or Willis McGahee is in, I think I could shave it down to 4.2/4.3 speed (4.4 right now), and still have about 220 lbs on my frame. If given the right training I think that I could make a very scary runningback/kickreturner, now you've got me excited for next season to start!

I ran a 9.9 100 m dash last week, and when I was 270 I was running it in just over 13 seconds, and I've always know that I've had tremedus speed for my size regardless of what that is, but if I trained and got into the type of shape Frank Gore or Willis McGahee is in, I think I could shave it down to 4.2/4.3 speed (4.4 right now), and still have about 220 lbs on my frame. If given the right training I think that I could make a very scary runningback/kickreturner, now you've got me excited for next season to start!

You do realize a 9.9 second 100 meter dash would make you the fastest high school runner in the nation?

You do realize a 9.9 second 100 meter dash would make you the fastest high school runner in the nation?

He's not in high school. I highly doubt that is his actual speed anyways though. If it was, he'd easily be able to make the olympics.

If what you say is true I better see you in the NFL very soon.

Quick question for you, since you seem to be the resident sports doc on the boards. I was running on the beach on Tuesday, and there was a piece of asphault buried under the sand. When I stepped on it, it rolled the heck out of my ankle. It's still swollen, and there is a nice 6 inch bruise along the anterior side of my ankle/mid-foot area. How long should I expect to stay off this (I haven't hurt myself in sports, mainly due to lack of actual exercise, in 10 years, so I am out of it)? Is swimming an acceptable alternative while it is swollen? Thanks in advance!

Quick question for you, since you seem to be the resident sports doc on the boards. I was running on the beach on Tuesday, and there was a piece of asphault buried under the sand. When I stepped on it, it rolled the heck out of my ankle. It's still swollen, and there is a nice 6 inch bruise along the anterior side of my ankle/mid-foot area. How long should I expect to stay off this (I haven't hurt myself in sports, mainly due to lack of actual exercise, in 10 years, so I am out of it)? Is swimming an acceptable alternative while it is swollen? Thanks in advance!

First thing I would suspect is a sprained ankle...and there are 3 classes of ankle sprains.

The vast majority of ankle injuries occur when your foot is in an inverted and plantarflexed position...this kind of trauma routinely stretches/sprains the anterior talofibular ligament on the lateral aspect of your ankle. More severe sprains will include the same anterior talofibular ligament, but instead of a just a stretched ligament, it will often tear. In addition to the ATF ligament tearing, the calcaneofibular ligament likes to stretch and tear as well in these cases. Lastly, in the Grade III sprain, the posterior talofibular ligament likes to stretch/tear.

The only reason I mention these is to just give you a scope of the severity of what normally happens.

Can you walk about 10 steps on the foot without severe pain? And is there pain on the lateral aspect of the foot?

If you answered no to both questions, just try the Rest/Ice/Elevate method for 5 days and re-evaluate the pain.

If you answered yes to either question, it might be in your best interest to have the ankle evaluated.

A mild sprain will take a few weeks...especially if there is significant swelling....or it may take longer if the injury is more severe.

So if things dont feel like they are improving to you, you should go get it checked out.

I had a nice 1 hour fun run yesterday for a fundraiser or whatever. I ran about 5 1/2 miles and at the end we had to do sprints because the sprinters didn't run at all. My calves are sore from running that much but my right hamstring also aches a little bit. It's weird because it doesn't hurt to go down and stretch but just aches while I'm walking.

First thing I would suspect is a sprained ankle...and there are 3 classes of ankle sprains.

The vast majority of ankle injuries occur when your foot is in an inverted and plantarflexed position...this kind of trauma routinely stretches/sprains the anterior talofibular ligament on the lateral aspect of your ankle. More severe sprains will include the same anterior talofibular ligament, but instead of a just a stretched ligament, it will often tear. In addition to the ATF ligament tearing, the calcaneofibular ligament likes to stretch and tear as well in these cases. Lastly, in the Grade III sprain, the posterior talofibular ligament likes to stretch/tear.

The only reason I mention these is to just give you a scope of the severity of what normally happens.

Can you walk about 10 steps on the foot without severe pain? And is there pain on the lateral aspect of the foot?

If you answered no to both questions, just try the Rest/Ice/Elevate method for 5 days and re-evaluate the pain.

If you answered yes to either question, it might be in your best interest to have the ankle evaluated.

A mild sprain will take a few weeks...especially if there is significant swelling....or it may take longer if the injury is more severe.

So if things dont feel like they are improving to you, you should go get it checked out.

I couldn't really walk without pain for the first two days, but now (five days later) it doesn't hurt so much when walking. It sounds like it is just a mild sprain, so I guess I will stay off of it for a while. That sucks though, I had just gotten my mile pace down to atround 6:45...

Thank you very much for the info!