JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,864 posts in this topic

oh ok wow... it's just that our football coaches tell us to do 3 sets, then we go to auxiliaries. should i just forget the auxiliaries (i've noticed they don't help much)?

we do squats, bench, and auxiliaries on mondays. should i just come in and do 5 sets on bench and 5 sets on squats and ignore the others?

and when we do powercleans and squats and aux's, should i just do 5 sets of each and skip the aux's?

How old are you by the way? Was looking at some of your numbers and got intrigued.

No sir....the auxillaries that you mention are just as important, if not more important.

I'll give you reasons why though, so that you understand why you should be doing them.

1)They will improve your overall strength

2)They will prevent muscular imbalance, which are a leading cause of injury and musculoskeletal dysfunction

3)They will make you a more complete athlete

Its tough to see in the beginning why those extra exercises are useful, but they are very important for those 3 stated reasons. Dont let anyone tell you that doing bicep curls, pullups, dips, hamstring curls...etc...will not help you perform better as an athlete.

ok, thanks for clearing that up. i won't have enough time in the weight room to do 5 sets, though. i'll try and squeeze in an extra set if i can on squats, bench, powercleans, and deadlifts.

ok, thanks for clearing that up. i won't have enough time in the weight room to do 5 sets, though. i'll try and squeeze in an extra set if i can on squats, bench, powercleans, and deadlifts.

yeah, do that....or maybe do a 2nd workout on some days

i've lost 50 lbs. since december. my ***** has grown an inch.

Is it healthy to drop that much weight that quick? Either way I have heard that dropping weight, make things larger down stairs...I guess there is just more room haha

i don't feel bad. i have crazy energy.

We'll thats good then keep it up bro!

O by the way why shouldnt I go to the site in your sig?

i worked out today. twice.

early in the morning, i decided to work with the agility ladder for about 30-40 minutes.

in the afternoon, i did five sets of squats

185x10 (maximum strength)

205x8 (maximum strength)

205x6 (maximum strength)

135x5 (explosive movements)

155x5 (explosive movements)

i did three sets of bench

115x10

125x6

135x3

then, i followed up at track practice with 200 or so pushups, doing 10 after each sprint

i did dips as an auxiliary but didn't really find i should do the others because i was sore and i knew i was going to have track practice afterwords. i think i'll do auxiliaries for thursdays in the morning along with agilities.

yesterday was our powerclean and deadlift day. i did most of the auxiliaries but not all.

for powerclean, i did:

135x4

145x4

160x2

160x2

unfortunately i only did three sets of deadlifts.

185x4

215x4

235x2

I wish I was in the same shape I was when I was playing football. :(

I'd like to lift like I was then, but the gym I go to (LA Fitness) doesn't provide the right equipment nor the space to do some of the lifts.

I am so weak. It's pathetic.

Summer of '07, I was an incoming freshman. 5'8.5" 125 lbs. Bench pressing 195 pounds, Squatting 205, and Deadlifting 315. 315!!!!

Spring of '09: Sophomore. Haven't lifted in almost a year and a half. Bench: 160. Squat: 225. Deadlift: 285.

My squat is only better because I'm naturally bigger. 5'8" 128. I shrunk :(

**** football coach. I woulda played this year if he wasn't such a *****. <_<

I am so weak. It's pathetic.

Summer of '07, I was an incoming freshman. 5'8.5" 125 lbs. Bench pressing 195 pounds, Squatting 205, and Deadlifting 315. 315!!!!

Spring of '09: Sophomore. Haven't lifted in almost a year and a half. Bench: 160. Squat: 225. Deadlift: 285.

That's not weak, especially if you play receiver. If you were playing offensive line I would see your point.

Bench: 335

Squat: 435

Dead: 430

Very nice.

Had I been lifting consistently I think I'd be benching around 300. In HS I maxed at 405lbs for squat, but then I had 3 operations done on my left leg and wasn't able to do serious leg workouts for almost 7 months....My deadlift was 315lbs.

Very nice.

Had I been lifting consistently I think I'd be benching around 300. In HS I maxed at 405lbs for squat, but then I had 3 operations done on my left leg and wasn't able to do serious leg workouts for almost 7 months....My deadlift was 315lbs.

One thing I was never stellar at when I was powerlifting was cleans...I still dont understand how some people clean more than they bench.

My sophomore year of college I broke my wrist playing FSU, but played out the rest of the season. I had surgery in the offseason, and I havent been able to clean much weight without excrutiating pain since. That was almost 4 years ago.

One thing I was never stellar at when I was powerlifting was cleans...I still dont understand how some people clean more than they bench.

My sophomore year of college I broke my wrist playing FSU, but played out the rest of the season. I had surgery in the offseason, and I havent been able to clean much weight without excrutiating pain since. That was almost 4 years ago.

I know I used to clean more than I could bench. I think it has to do with technique and the initial explosion when you first begin the lift. I can just explode very quikcly and I can also sink my hips down fast enough to catch the bar.

You played rugby right? I was going to play FB at a JUCO near by up until I got the leg infection, which really screwed stuff up since it was in the middle of May my senior yeart in HS.

I know I used to clean more than I could bench. I think it has to do with technique and the initial explosion when you first begin the lift. I can just explode very quikcly and I can also sink my hips down fast enough to catch the bar.

You played rugby right? I was going to play FB at a JUCO near by up until I got the leg infection, which really screwed stuff up since it was in the middle of May my senior yeart in HS.

Sorry to hear about that...i'm glad to hear you still have the function of your leg though.

And to answer your question, yeah I played rugby for the University of Georgia.

I started at Fullback(in rugby) for the last 2 games of my freshman season when a senior got hurt, then played right wing for 3 straight years. I played every position in the backline at various times throughout my career though.

I'm up to 165. I'm gaining mainly muscle but it seems like I'm gaining some fat also. It sure doesn't look like I've gained 15 pounds, though. Oh well... more weight that I can gain. I've got 12-13 weeks and I am sure I can gain at least a pound a week, but I have track and I'm thinking about doing something to get rid of my superfluous body fat so I can run my fastest at our intraschool track event which decides who gets to go to our first competition, so I'm setting my weight goal at about 175 lbs or so.

I think I'm growing. Been having monster appetites lately, and the "growing" pains, especially in my legs.

Hopefully this doesn't make me any slower. That would totally suck. <_<

today was a down day. i think im going to start deloading because im mentally burned out. i squatted the most i have ever squatted (3x225, 3x225, 3x230) but my I couldn't powerclean just five more pounds than last week and my bench stayed the same. can anyone give me some tips on how to gain some more motivation or get out of the mental burnout?

today was a down day. i think im going to start deloading because im mentally burned out. i squatted the most i have ever squatted (3x225, 3x225, 3x230) but my I couldn't powerclean just five more pounds than last week and my bench stayed the same. can anyone give me some tips on how to gain some more motivation or get out of the mental burnout?

Be realistic with yourself.

You wont get stronger every workout, or every week, even when you are still relatively new to working out.

Again, just be realistic.

Be realistic with yourself.

You wont get stronger every workout, or every week, even when you are still relatively new to working out.

Again, just be realistic.

Exactly. I remember my senior year of HS, I was taking a PE class and there was this one guy who would try to add another 5lbs each time we went into the weight room (we went on Tuesday and Thursday)). I told him that he was being unrealistic to try and bench that much more in so little time, especially when the only time he worked out was at school.