JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,843 posts in this topic

6 of 1, half dozen of the other IMHO.  You can do cardio on an empty stomach, and you will burn more fat calories that way, but your workout may suffer (which IMHO, defeats the purpose).  Or you can eat a solid breakfast (clean food, no junk) and then workout and have a small PWO snack like a banana or a shake, and your workout will be well-fueled, but you will burn marginally less.

I eat first thing every morning, FWIW.  Whole grain English Muffins with organic peanut butter or steel cut oats with honey and cinnamon (and sometimes banana), and coffee.  I usually don't do ANY workout on a completely empty stomach, though I do eat very light about an hour before before running (maybe a banana or some oatmeal).

6 of 1, half dozen of the other IMHO. You can do cardio on an empty stomach, and you will burn more fat calories that way, but your workout may suffer (which IMHO, defeats the purpose). Or you can eat a solid breakfast (clean food, no junk) and then workout and have a small PWO snack like a banana or a shake, and your workout will be well-fueled, but you will burn marginally less.

I eat first thing every morning, FWIW. Whole grain English Muffins with organic peanut butter or steel cut oats with honey and cinnamon (and sometimes banana), and coffee. I usually don't do ANY workout on a completely empty stomach, though I do eat very light about an hour before before running (maybe a banana or some oatmeal).

Cool, thanks! I do have a hard time eating first thing in the morning, but maybe I'll choke down some oatmeal or something. I did notice my workouts not all being as good as they were when I worked out in the evenings but thought I was just getting old :pinch:

Hey JDave, what's some good alternatives for a healthy dinner besides chicken/salad/etc. etc. etc.  I'm getting tired of chicken but I am really trying to eat right so I'm not packing myself with calories before I go to bed ;)

Before my wife's latest pregnancy (and resultant queasy stomach) we ate a lot of grilled fish.  Lean beef (like flank steak or roast beef) is good in moderation, too.  Beyond that, we just get really creative with chicken.  We do stir fry (like last night), pesto chicken pasta (with whole wheat pasta), etc.

And we probably cheat twice a week, though I try to make one of those my "official" cheat days.

I'm thinking of taking up the Church discipline of fasting :laugh:

I just got my wife and I a membership to the gym yesterday. I plan on going today for the first time in few years. Can't wait to feel like I got hit by a train tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Do any of you take any type of supplements? I used to take some type of EAS creatine and drink Myoplex deluxe shakes and boy did that stuff work. I put on muscle so fast it was scary. My bench jumped 100 lbs in no time, I went from being able to do 3 inverted flips on my wakeboard to being able to do 11 in one summer. I was impressed with those results because i turned into a machine but I would imagine they have some better stuff out now though because this was 4 or 5 years ago. Any suggestions?

Ran a small mountain range on the north side of Phoenix yesterday...2 miles...about had a heart attack. It didnt help that I worked legs 15 minutes before (w/ squats).

Off day today....6 hours lecture plus 6 hours of lab will do that.

Wednesday...probably arms/abs/swim/football practice.

Re: supplements, I don't use them anymore.  If your diet is garbage, they won't help. If your diet is good, they can be effective.

FWIW, I love creatine as a supplement, and I stacked BSN's NoXplode with Cellmass once and it was very good.  If I did it again, I'd just use the Cellmass, because I don't need the caffeine in NoXplode. 

Supplements are fine and dandy...but are largely useless, expensive garbage. Illegal 'roids are effective at building muscle/losing bodyfat but are illegal and very deleterious to your body...no matter what any juiced up guys will tell you.

The common combo of supplements are creatine phosphate w/ some sort of sugar based loading nutrient, protein powder, and multi vitamins.

I take glucosamine w/ MSM, flax seed oil high in omega 3 fatty acids, and zinc magnesium aspartate. I also take protein powder that has extra BCAA's and glutamine. I find these combos are more then enough for me...and I get to save money and negative body weight by not using creatine.

I do have a serious question, On most days I cut a line of brush/thick/ or sometimes it's just overgrown clearcut. The line is approx. 3' wide by knee high. I know it sounds redneckish if that's a word. But I will say it's usually around about 3500 foot, Which I walk,this line three times a day. On an average of twice a week. I do eat a good breakfast and lunch when times allow.Sometimes it's vienna sausage for lunch! But the point is Do I still need too exercise after that, or in between?

ty down (12/4/2007)
I do have a serious question, On most days I cut a line of brush/thick/ or sometimes it's just overgrown clearcut. The line is approx. 3' wide by knee high. I know it sounds redneckish if that's a word. But I will say it's usually around about 3500 foot, Which I walk,this line three times a day. On an average of twice a week. I do eat a good breakfast and lunch when times allow.Sometimes it's vienna sausage for lunch! But the point is Do I still need too exercise after that, or in between?

I'm no excercise expert but I can tell you it does depend on what type of body you have, and what kind of food your taking in. If you dont feel your getting enough excercise, go run or go swim or something. And the most obvious thing, if your overweight then yes you probably need to excercise more:P but from the amount of work you do, i doubt thats a problem.

tipp78 (12/4/2007)
ty down (12/4/2007)

I'm no excercise expert but I can tell you it does depend on what type of body you have, and what kind of food your taking in. If you dont feel your getting enough excercise, go run or go swim or something. And the most obvious thing, if your overweight then yes you probably need to excercise more:P but from the amount of work you do, i doubt thats a problem.

Tipp thanks,

My height is about 6'

weight is around 180lbs

I just wonder if I might not need too do more.

My intake " I don't count cals"

But it's 1 scrambled 2 bacon and grits or hashbrowns in the morn,

And depends on the work, I'm more likely to eat something fried.

Along with 1 starch and 1 green.Maybe a salad if I feel right! Hungry.

ty down (12/4/2007)

You gotta do something about the Vienna sausage for lunch. It is probably one of the worst foods you can eat...ever. It is only topped by arsenic and straight up botulism.

The sheer amount of exercise you do is up to you....and there are few people in this world that exercise too much(there are out there though...they are called tri-athletes).

Working out twice a week on top of your work routine would be of great benefit to you, if not for a body fat composition reason, then for the benefits to your cardiovascular system, overall systemic circulation, brain function, and the bodies' improvements in metabolic efficiency.

40 minutes on the elliptical, 2 sets pullups/dips. 3.29 miles, 460 calories burned on the elliptical. Pullups are feeling better lately, probably because I've been doing 1 set before bed every night.

Mods, can we please pin this thread?

So someone tell me something. I am 6' and 245lbs. I am and always will be a thick dude and most people look at me and assume I am 200lbs max to give a little perspective. Basically built like a linebacker. My ideal weight is about 225 but dropping that 20lbs isn't easy due to my schedule. Anyone have suggestions for dropping those 20lbs in a healthy way? I am also looking at a possible job switch which requires physical tests which I can do now, but would like to be better suited for it.

I'm coaching my middle school basketball team and I decided to run with them yesterday. They won their game this past Monday but a lot of them were very worn out so I decided to push them hard yesterday. We hit up the gymnasium stairs for 10 minutes. I was the lead runner and it was a very tough workout. My legs are a little sore this morning but it was a great workout and my kids were dead :D Anyways, my question is do I need to do more in a day than 10 minutes of running? I went home after the practice and ran a mile but that was the most I've done since I started my diet and running program. You guys have any input? I have also been very strict with my food intake. I will be eating oatmeal for breakfast for the next 2 weeks......is this OK as well? Thanks, MidWest Falcon

Vargil (12/5/2007)
So someone tell me something. I am 6' and 245lbs. I am and always will be a thick dude and most people look at me and assume I am 200lbs max to give a little perspective. Basically built like a linebacker. My ideal weight is about 225 but dropping that 20lbs isn't easy due to my schedule. Anyone have suggestions for dropping those 20lbs in a healthy way? I am also looking at a possible job switch which requires physical tests which I can do now, but would like to be better suited for it.

Vargil,

That's actually 2 questions. For the first, the best way I've found to drop excess fat is complexes (circuits). Join a local boot camp or cardio kickboxing class, or talk to a personal trainer about putting together an hour's worth of complexes for you. They suck while you're doing them, but they really melt away excess fat (because they burn a TON of calories while you're doing them, AND they burn calories all day after you're done).

As to the job tests, can you tell us what they are?

MidWest Falcon (12/5/2007)
I'm coaching my middle school basketball team and I decided to run with them yesterday. They won their game this past Monday but a lot of them were very worn out so I decided to push them hard yesterday. We hit up the gymnasium stairs for 10 minutes. I was the lead runner and it was a very tough workout. My legs are a little sore this morning but it was a great workout and my kids were dead :D Anyways, my question is do I need to do more in a day than 10 minutes of running? I went home after the practice and ran a mile but that was the most I've done since I started my diet and running program. You guys have any input? I have also been very strict with my food intake. I will be eating oatmeal for breakfast for the next 2 weeks......is this OK as well? Thanks, MidWest Falcon

:laugh: new avatar is SWEET!

The answer to your question is that 10 minutes of running stairs is plenty. I'd do a 30 minute or 3-mile LSD (long slow distance) run the next day or the day after instead of running the same day. I eat a TON of oatmeal, and I think it's a perfect breakfast food. Just don't pile on the sugar and other carbs (I use a bit of honey and cinnamon, and sometimes a banana depending on what I'm doing that day).

Vargil,

That's actually 2 questions. For the first, the best way I've found to drop excess fat is complexes (circuits). Join a local boot camp or cardio kickboxing class, or talk to a personal trainer about putting together an hour's worth of complexes for you. They suck while you're doing them, but they really melt away excess fat (because they burn a TON of calories while you're doing them, AND they burn calories all day after you're done).

Its actually just a series of small things, push ups, pull ups and sit ups in a minute, a 300 meter sprint, and a 1.5 mile run.

And I will look into the cardio kickboxing thing there's a place down the street that does that.

JDaveG (12/5/2007)
Vargil (12/5/2007)

Vargil,

I just started working out again. Lifting weights but still have to drop my gut. What are "complexes" ?

Vargil (12/5/2007)
Its actually just a series of small things, push ups, pull ups and sit ups in a minute, a 300 meter sprint, and a 1.5 mile run.

And I will look into the cardio kickboxing thing there's a place down the street that does that.

Actually, I'd do exactly those things. It won't be that taxing a workout, but as I noted above, I do pullups every night. There's no real good way to train them except to do them. If you can't do 1 pullup, start by doing negatives (stand on a chair with your arms bent and then step off the chair and SLOWLY lower yourself from the top position to the bottom, then repeat 5-10 times). You can also put your feet in the chair behind you with your knees bent, and do the pullups with assistance from your legs (hope that gives you an adequate picture of what I mean). You might try running for time instead of distance, but if you have to go 300 meters and 1.5 miles, you might as well just start with those distances and try to improve your times.

JDaveG (12/5/2007)
Steve_Bartkowski (12/5/2007)[hrI just started working out again. Lifting weights but still have to drop my gut. What are "complexes" ?

http://www.mensfitness.com/fitness/strength_training/180

Sounds great to me. I have limited time in the morning to work out so with this I basically do a fast paced workaround with high reps and almost no resting between exercises. That seems perfect for my schedule.