JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,864 posts in this topic

gahhhhhh....

can't wait til wednesday (get back in the weight room)!

hopefully it rains. even though the winter has been pretty mild, i hate working out outside.

The holidays tore me up...I did way to much drinking and didnt eat right, or enough! I lost about 5 pounds...but I got back in today and hit legs HARD and I'm trying to scarf down some healthy food to put weight on.

I didnt even know there was a fitness thread. Im into bodybuilding. Im currently bulking right now. anyone have any pics they would like to share?

I didnt even know there was a fitness thread. Im into bodybuilding. Im currently bulking right now. anyone have any pics they would like to share?

not right now, that's for sure. :lol::lol::lol:

got me some more protein powder from kroger and will probably get the kind tipp78 recommended to me earlier when i run out. i had a pretty nice workout today. it was

leg extensions 3x10

leg curls 3x10

squat 3x3 (145, 185, 195) - leg curls and extensions messed me up and i wasn't able to lift as much as i wanted. im still having my squat max goal at 400 and not lifting (or any physical activity at all lol) over the winter break really messed me up.

bench 3x3 (115, 125, 135 - only did one rep) - my goal for bench is 200.

dips 2x10 (i could only complete 6 reps on both sets)

pull-ups 2x5 (i got this done fairly easily)

straight leg deadlift 3x10 (i only did one set of 115 because of time restrictions)

now, im eating an assload of rice mainly because i cooked more rice than i thought i had. already ate 4 eggs earlier this morning and am eating 2 eggs now with the rice.

i don't think i'll be having workouts tomorrow, but i'll just have to see.

dammit, i've got a 100-word spanish composition to do on a painting. i've decided to write about one of my great-uncle's painting (i guess he's kind of well-known, i mean he painted moses for a large church in downtown atlanta and makes pretty good money off of it).

actually they were paintings of the twelve apostles. i found his bio online.

"The artist’s works are included in many corporate, institutional and private collections. One of the most notable, a series of ten foot square paintings of each of the twelve apostles, commissioned for the Shrine of Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Atlanta’s oldest building. His work can also be seen at the Reynolds Plantation, Greensboro, Georgia; Bank South, Atlanta, Georgia; Barnet Bank, Miami, Florida; Arthur Andersen & Co., Atlanta; and the Greene County Museum, Greensboro, Georgia."

sure, its been a minute...but here we go...

noncomp.jpg

That is a few pounds lighter than what I am this year.

precomp.png

And that one was a few days before an all natural comp/some photoshoot stuff.

im up to 159 pounds. not sure what i should set my goal for body weight once the season starts. im thinkning 175 but maybe i could gain more weight than that.

I used to bulk, but now I'm more into tone since I'm focusing exclusively on track (playing football isn't fun anymore).

Craziest thing happened.

I was at 121 for football season my freshman year, and now (my sophomore year) I came in at 131, with no lifting in nearly a whole year. I started again and dropped 3 pounds, to 128. My body fat is up to about 10 percent (before track season I was at 4). I still have a lot of work to do...will I drop weight or gain it by cutting my body fat?

I probaly won't bulk up much as I will be doing weightless training.

I used to bulk, but now I'm more into tone since I'm focusing exclusively on track (playing football isn't fun anymore).

Craziest thing happened.

I was at 121 for football season my freshman year, and now (my sophomore year) I came in at 131, with no lifting in nearly a whole year. I started again and dropped 3 pounds, to 128. My body fat is up to about 10 percent (before track season I was at 4). I still have a lot of work to do...will I drop weight or gain it by cutting my body fat?

I probaly won't bulk up much as I will be doing weightless training.

You could drop weight or gain it by cutting body fat. Just depends on how much muscle you build.

I just got the bioquest muscle building stack for my b-day it was like $115 dollars and I'll probably start using it tuesday (since monday is MLKD) Bad thing is i aggrevated my shoulder again meaning I wont be able to do heavy weight for another couple weeks (if I'm lucky) I just hope it gets better soon or I just wasted $115 dollars :(

I just got the bioquest muscle building stack for my b-day it was like $115 dollars and I'll probably start using it tuesday (since monday is MLKD) Bad thing is i aggrevated my shoulder again meaning I wont be able to do heavy weight for another couple weeks (if I'm lucky) I just hope it gets better soon or I just wasted $115 dollars :(

how long has your shoulder been injured? i think i remember you posting from way back in like may of last year that your shoulder was hurt.

i'm up to a concrete 160 lbs. im thinking ill set my goal for weight at 180 lbs (we've got 14-15 weeks left of weight training). if i continue to get faster and more explosive and agile (i am making GREAT progress with agility) and get to 175-180 lbs, i definitely think i WILL be the starting z. im already faster than all the receivers that go to weight training and leaping ability isn't even close. i mean, we were doing power skips and i was the only one who could touch the ceiling (i'm thinking it's about 9'8"). granted, i am the tallest receiver, but the strides i have made so far in every facet of my athleticism in such a short time period is pretty awesome. im also VERY limber. im going to continue to work my *** off and be a leader on the field.

here are my goals for strength:

squat - 315 lbs. (apparently one of the coaches told me to get more depth and widen my base; currently at around 225 lbs.)

bench - 225 lbs. (currently at 145 lbs.)

powerclean - 245 lbs. (currently at 155-165 lbs.)

deadlift - 310 (currently at 225-235 lbs.)

dips - 25 (currently at 12)

pull-ups - 15 (currently at about 7 or 8)

straight-legged deadlift - 185 lbs. x 10 (currently at 145 x 10)

has anyone used gloves? the skin of my hands gets really ****ed up when i do deadlifts or straight-legged deadlifts.

i'm up to a concrete 160 lbs. im thinking ill set my goal for weight at 180 lbs (we've got 14-15 weeks left of weight training). if i continue to get faster and more explosive and agile (i am making GREAT progress with agility) and get to 175-180 lbs, i definitely think i WILL be the starting z. im already faster than all the receivers that go to weight training and leaping ability isn't even close. i mean, we were doing power skips and i was the only one who could touch the ceiling (i'm thinking it's about 9'8"). granted, i am the tallest receiver, but the strides i have made so far in every facet of my athleticism in such a short time period is pretty awesome. im also VERY limber. im going to continue to work my *** off and be a leader on the field.

here are my goals for strength:

squat - 315 lbs. (apparently one of the coaches told me to get more depth and widen my base; currently at around 225 lbs.)

bench - 225 lbs. (currently at 145 lbs.)

powerclean - 245 lbs. (currently at 155-165 lbs.)

deadlift - 310 (currently at 225-235 lbs.)

dips - 25 (currently at 12)

pull-ups - 15 (currently at about 7 or 8)

straight-legged deadlift - 185 lbs. x 10 (currently at 145 x 10)

has anyone used gloves? the skin of my hands gets really ****ed up when i do deadlifts or straight-legged deadlifts.

I would recommend you focus on squats more than anything.

I highly doubt you can get to 225 on bench from 145 in only 3 months or so...but you should be able to easily crack 315 on squat during that time.

You should also be blowing away 310 on deadlifts in that time too....but powercleans will be harder to come by.

Keep up the good work, and just dont fall into that mirror muscle concept...its important to work everything, very important...but people tend to neglect the lower body the most. You will add a lot of body weight quickly by hitting legs, help your explosion, and easily help your core strength.

In addition to the dead lifts I would also be doing ab work twice a week minimum. That will help prevent injuries.

I would recommend you focus on squats more than anything.

I highly doubt you can get to 225 on bench from 145 in only 3 months or so...but you should be able to easily crack 315 on squat during that time.

You should also be blowing away 310 on deadlifts in that time too....but powercleans will be harder to come by.

Keep up the good work, and just dont fall into that mirror muscle concept...its important to work everything, very important...but people tend to neglect the lower body the most. You will add a lot of body weight quickly by hitting legs, help your explosion, and easily help your core strength.

In addition to the dead lifts I would also be doing ab work twice a week minimum. That will help prevent injuries.

oh im definitely focusing on lower body. every time we work out, we are supposed to do three sets of squats. i do four.

i usually do abs workouts, too, but do you mean an endurance abs workout or a strength workout? i use a roman chair, which makes it more about strength than endurance and im going to add weight every week to that also.

i know it's doubtful that i'll get to 225 on bench, but im just setting goals that should challenge me.

im not worrying about the mirror muscle concept. sure i like looking at my chest and arms build up, but im at football workouts to gain speed and strength first so i can kick some *** on the field. at first, i thought i would just go to get some nice muscles and train for basketball, but i've figured out i have a VERY good chance at starting wide receiver for varsity if i continue work, and then i can worry about basketball.

how long has your shoulder been injured? i think i remember you posting from way back in like may of last year that your shoulder was hurt.

Yea man I sure did, I hurt it originaly benching, then hurt it again playing football, and I hurt it every couple of months (but not seriously) its just painful and it feels weak so it sucks. Its been hurt for over a yr. It actually feels alot better this week though, i was able to do pretty much everything I wanted too.

oh im definitely focusing on lower body. every time we work out, we are supposed to do three sets of squats. i do four.

i usually do abs workouts, too, but do you mean an endurance abs workout or a strength workout? i use a roman chair, which makes it more about strength than endurance and im going to add weight every week to that also.

i know it's doubtful that i'll get to 225 on bench, but im just setting goals that should challenge me.

im not worrying about the mirror muscle concept. sure i like looking at my chest and arms build up, but im at football workouts to gain speed and strength first so i can kick some *** on the field. at first, i thought i would just go to get some nice muscles and train for basketball, but i've figured out i have a VERY good chance at starting wide receiver for varsity if i continue work, and then i can worry about basketball.

I would worry about more endurance on the abs....and do MANY different kind of ab exercises....especially lateral ab work.

If you want good core strength and functionality, that is the way to go.

dude, just take Roids. you barly even need to work out and you'll be huge.

Thats bs, you still need to lift your a** off.

alright i need some advice.

i did 3 sets of deadlifts and im wondering what i should do next time. i was supposed to do 3x5, but did this because i couldn't muster up enough energy to get the last couple of reps finished on the last two sets:

215, 5 reps

225, 3 reps

225, 2 reps

the next time i do deadlifts is next wednesday. considering i do 3x5, could someone help me out with what i should be doing?

alright i need some advice.

i did 3 sets of deadlifts and im wondering what i should do next time. i was supposed to do 3x5, but did this because i couldn't muster up enough energy to get the last couple of reps finished on the last two sets:

215, 5 reps

225, 3 reps

225, 2 reps

the next time i do deadlifts is next wednesday. considering i do 3x5, could someone help me out with what i should be doing?

there is an infinite number of combinations to do....

but I would highly recommend doing more than only 3 sets on deads....it needs to be in the 5 or 6 set area easy

there is an infinite number of combinations to do....

but I would highly recommend doing more than only 3 sets on deads....it needs to be in the 5 or 6 set area easy

oh ok wow... it's just that our football coaches tell us to do 3 sets, then we go to auxiliaries. should i just forget the auxiliaries (i've noticed they don't help much)?

we do squats, bench, and auxiliaries on mondays. should i just come in and do 5 sets on bench and 5 sets on squats and ignore the others?

and when we do powercleans and squats and aux's, should i just do 5 sets of each and skip the aux's?

oh ok wow... it's just that our football coaches tell us to do 3 sets, then we go to auxiliaries. should i just forget the auxiliaries (i've noticed they don't help much)?

we do squats, bench, and auxiliaries on mondays. should i just come in and do 5 sets on bench and 5 sets on squats and ignore the others?

and when we do powercleans and squats and aux's, should i just do 5 sets of each and skip the aux's?

No sir....the auxillaries that you mention are just as important, if not more important.

I'll give you reasons why though, so that you understand why you should be doing them.

1)They will improve your overall strength

2)They will prevent muscular imbalance, which are a leading cause of injury and musculoskeletal dysfunction

3)They will make you a more complete athlete

Its tough to see in the beginning why those extra exercises are useful, but they are very important for those 3 stated reasons. Dont let anyone tell you that doing bicep curls, pullups, dips, hamstring curls...etc...will not help you perform better as an athlete.