JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,864 posts in this topic

Can anybody reccomend a good thermogenic or dietary supplement. Need something with a high energy burst right off the bat with decent appetite control. Thanks.

Well, I've got basketball tryouts in a week... the coach says we're going to do weight training this season, so I hope he means JV and Varsity are going to do it because I probably have a better chance at JV. I'd like to make varsity, but I'm just being realistic. I'm going to give it my all and see what happens.

Can anybody reccomend a good thermogenic or dietary supplement. Need something with a high energy burst right off the bat with decent appetite control. Thanks.

Tea or coffee would be the best approach pre-workout. Any time release supplements (in pill format) should be taken after the workout when your metabolism is started up.

The MAN scorch I suggested should ideally be taken before a workout, it gives a good energy boost, as it has caffine in it.

Just curious .... have any of you heard of Crossfit? Anyone practice it? If so, what do you think of the "Filthy Fifty"?

Just curious .... have any of you heard of Crossfit? Anyone practice it? If so, what do you think of the "Filthy Fifty"?

I tried it out while i was in Japan, the special forces based there practice it as well. It is INSANE, but I dont think I ever did the flithy fifty.

I wouldnt recommend any energy supplements....ya might as well drink some coffee or green tea or something.

-Caffeine, which is about the only useful product in any of those supplements, works by inhibiting the breakdown of cyclic AMP...and by increasing lypolysis.

Problems? Using it often leads to receptor downregulation...which means u need more to get the same effect.

-Ephedra is ridiculously potent, but has legal issues surrounding it(come to find out, some drinks can have ephedra now legally) because it is stimulates alpha and beta receptors at the same time....and can be used to make Meth.

Its effect on the body equates to increased vasoconstriction and increased heart rate(both lead to an increase in blood pressure), and stimulating lypolysis along with gluconeogenesis.

Problems? Your body compensates vasonconstriction with lowering heart rate, and vice versa. By stimulating all alpha and beta receptors, you inhibit the reflexive ability of the body to acute raises in BP(like by lowering heart rate)...this can result in acute, potentially dangerous hypertension spikes, PAC's, and an increased oxygen demand of the heart(because of vasodilation of the coronary arteries) resulting in an ischemic episode.

1st post in the fitness thread. im into body building. ill post some pics up. I just finished a diet so now im bulking up for the winter time. whats up fitness guys?

I grabbed the rim with two hands yesterday! :o

My vertical was 28 in high school. I'll bet it's closer to 20 now. :(

Dayyyyummm... thats sucks for you now. Could you dunk?
No. I could dunk small objects, but nothing bigger than a volleyball.

I'm actually in great shape, but I'm not nearly as strong as I used to be. I run for distance more now.

No. I could dunk small objects, but nothing bigger than a volleyball.

I'm actually in great shape, but I'm not nearly as strong as I used to be. I run for distance more now.

I'm probably at 25" right now. I got 22" last year but have improved since then. I can't dunk a basketball right now because trying to dunk objects that I can't easily palm (I can palm basketballs, but it's a weak grip) really throws my rhythm off.

How'd you maximize your vert?

Well, then again, I may be able to dunk a basketball. Today at tryouts, we practiced doing layups. I didn't jump 100%, but sometimes I went up so high and fast at the goal that I actually missed the layups because I wasn't used to how high I jump and how fast I run (I practiced once in the past couple of months for basketball).

Tomorrow is the last day of tryouts and I'll be pissed if I don't make the team. So many of the 35 to 40 kids there can't shoot a jumpshot or dribble and most of them are short. Plus, I played amazing defense on this guy that started on JV last year. I blocked him three or four times and after that he was so frustrated that he wouldn't attempt ANYTHING on me.

The probable reason I wouldn't make the team is the first day of tryouts. I wasn't there because I set my alarm clock incorrectly and I told my dad to make sure I was up by 6am; I woke up to the voice of my dad saying it was 7:30.

I'm probably at 25" right now. I got 22" last year but have improved since then. I can't dunk a basketball right now because trying to dunk objects that I can't easily palm (I can palm basketballs, but it's a weak grip) really throws my rhythm off.

How'd you maximize your vert?

Plyometrics. I ran track, played soccer and football as well.

Tomorrow is the last day of tryouts and I'll be pissed if I don't make the team. So many of the 35 to 40 kids there can't shoot a jumpshot or dribble and most of them are short. Plus, I played amazing defense on this guy that started on JV last year. I blocked him three or four times and after that he was so frustrated that he wouldn't attempt ANYTHING on me.

The probable reason I wouldn't make the team is the first day of tryouts. I wasn't there because I set my alarm clock incorrectly and I told my dad to make sure I was up by 6am; I woke up to the voice of my dad saying it was 7:30.

If I were you, I'd walk up to the coach after practice, and thank him for the opportunity again. I'd apologize that you were late the first day (he hasn't forgotten, I can promise you that) and tell him it was totally out of character. Then tell him again how much you want to play for him. Goodluck.

If I were you, I'd walk up to the coach after practice, and thank him for the opportunity again. I'd apologize that you were late the first day (he hasn't forgotten, I can promise you that) and tell him it was totally out of character. Then tell him again how much you want to play for him. Goodluck.

Well, too late. I got cut. :(