JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,864 posts in this topic

Just wanted to say that I've gotten back into a good habit of going to the gym about 5 days a week. I tend to have cycles of a few good weeks, then I slack off for a few weeks. As always, I hope this stretch of good weeks lasts a while. ^_^

I feel you its not an easy thing to do. Once you get into a routine it gets pretty easy but something always comes up like you get sick or injured then its really hard to get back into it. As i've said before if you want any motivation go to walmart and look around at all the fat people then you'll want to rush to the gym and work your but off!

Anyone have a gym around the Perimeter Area they would recommend, preferrably not called LA Fitness or Concourse Athletic Club?

Anyone have a gym around the Perimeter Area they would recommend, preferrably not called LA Fitness or Concourse Athletic Club?

I hear that Dunwoody Body Works is going to re-open. I don't know when, but they are in the process. I haven't been and it seems small, but people who like it love it. Besides Ravinia, I don't know of much else in Dunwoody. Maybe there's something in Sandy Springs?

I live in Dunwoody when I'm in Atlanta, but I drive up to Lifetime Fitness in Alpharetta. Used to belong to Concourse, but got frustrated at how crowded it was - especially for the price. I am in love with Lifetime.

Thanks for the suggestion. The reason I ask is I'll be working in Dunwoody in a few weeks (currently working in Alpharetta -- I go to Fitness 19 for now), and I've been in a diligent routine of going to the gym around lunchtime. I've heard great things about Lifetime Fitness, but that's somewhat of a haul during the lunch hour, and I'd prefer to stick to that routine (too crowded before/after work).

To summarize, I'm basically looking for something near the new office. Thanks again for the suggestion though.

Back in the gym 5 times a week now...its been 3 months because of out-of-country purposes...but hitting back up again. Already gained the 12 pounds I managed to lose.

Back in the gym 5 times a week now...its been 3 months because of out-of-country purposes...but hitting back up again. Already gained the 12 pounds I managed to lose.

Nice, it always seems easy to gain back those few pounds after a few weeks in the gym, I guess its good muscle memory.

Do we have any swimmers in the house? I have this problem when I am swimming laps where my foot will cramp and it will feel like one of my middle toes is losing all circulation, like there is a rubber band around it. I don't really ever cramp up, even on my longer runs (8 - 10 miles). Any ideas? It is only in my feet, and only after doing laps for about 30 minutes.

I really want to keep swimming because it is so much better for your joints (so long as you aren't swimming competitively and doing hard turns into walls).

Do we have any swimmers in the house? I have this problem when I am swimming laps where my foot will cramp and it will feel like one of my middle toes is losing all circulation, like there is a rubber band around it. I don't really ever cramp up, even on my longer runs (8 - 10 miles). Any ideas? It is only in my feet, and only after doing laps for about 30 minutes.

I really want to keep swimming because it is so much better for your joints (so long as you aren't swimming competitively and doing hard turns into walls).

I'll tell you that some people are prone to foot cramps more than others when they swim, even if they are top shape distance runners.

Up your potassium and calcium with some fruit, drink plenty of fluids before swimming, and remove cramps by pulling your foot back against mild resistance...hopefully these tips will help.

Stay hydrated when swimming. A lot of swimmers lose sight of it because they don't feel like they're losing water (sweating). Also, like someone else said, additional potassium intake will help too.

I'll tell you that some people are prone to foot cramps more than others when they swim, even if they are top shape distance runners.

Up your potassium and calcium with some fruit, drink plenty of fluids before swimming, and remove cramps by pulling your foot back against mild resistance...hopefully these tips will help.

Stay hydrated when swimming. A lot of swimmers lose sight of it because they don't feel like they're losing water (sweating). Also, like someone else said, additional potassium intake will help too.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will go get some more bananas. It is weird because I have always had these, well before I had foot surgery. Getting back in shape is tough, and it seems the older you get, the harder it gets... :(

I decided to start doing pushups and situps last week. 100 situps, then 50 pushups, 100 situps, 50 pushups, 100 situps, 40 pushups, etc. until I was down to zero pushups. My main goal was to get a six pack, and it's coming along nicely. At the start, I had a slight four pack and now my six pack is taking shape. I think in my next workout that I'll do a different ab exercise and then do decline pushups.

I swam all through college, but not sure about the foot problem. Since it's cramping and not just numbness, the potassium and hydrating advice is good. If it's numbness, it could be nerve related and it could be something as simple as a bathing suit being too tight. I would try some other things to mix it up and see if you're still having the problem:

~ swim with fins (you can get a cheap pair at Target or Sports Authority). This is good exercise anyway...we used to train with fins a lot.

~ swim with a buoy between your legs so you won't kick at all. Really tough workout.

~ use a kickboard and/or just do kicking exercises.

You will hopefully be able to figure out if it's something specific. Congrats on swimming. It is great exercise and most people can't swim but a few laps! 30 minutes is great!!

I swam all through college, but not sure about the foot problem. Since it's cramping and not just numbness, the potassium and hydrating advice is good. If it's numbness, it could be nerve related and it could be something as simple as a bathing suit being too tight. I would try some other things to mix it up and see if you're still having the problem:

~ swim with fins (you can get a cheap pair at Target or Sports Authority). This is good exercise anyway...we used to train with fins a lot.

~ swim with a buoy between your legs so you won't kick at all. Really tough workout.

~ use a kickboard and/or just do kicking exercises.

You will hopefully be able to figure out if it's something specific. Congrats on swimming. It is great exercise and most people can't swim but a few laps! 30 minutes is great!!

Hey thanks for all the advice. I was a swimmer for about 8 years, basically until high school. This cramping thing is a new development, but I guess it might not be since I haven't incorporated swimming into my workout for a decade now. If you don't mind me asking, where did you swim in college? My sister swam all four year while she was at UCLA, and I have a lot of respect for anyone who can get up at 4:30 to swim for a couple hours and then do it all again after class. That sport is brutal...

Hey thanks for all the advice. I was a swimmer for about 8 years, basically until high school. This cramping thing is a new development, but I guess it might not be since I haven't incorporated swimming into my workout for a decade now. If you don't mind me asking, where did you swim in college? My sister swam all four year while she was at UCLA, and I have a lot of respect for anyone who can get up at 4:30 to swim for a couple hours and then do it all again after class. That sport is brutal...

Have a question for some of you runners out there?

Any of you ever had plantar fasciitis? How have you managed it? Ice/stretching? Or is it something I am just going to have to wait out?

Have a question for some of you runners out there?

Any of you ever had plantar fasciitis? How have you managed it? Ice/stretching? Or is it something I am just going to have to wait out?

Ugh...I had it several years ago, and it was awful. It was terribly painful - especially after getting out of bed in the morning. I did Achilles tendon stretches and got some professional orthotics made for my shoes. Also did a lot of icing and ultimately had a cortisone shot. I took a few weeks off from running and then started back slow. I haven't had a problem since.

Ugh...I had it several years ago, and it was awful. It was terribly painful - especially after getting out of bed in the morning. I did Achilles tendon stretches and got some professional orthotics made for my shoes. Also did a lot of icing and ultimately had a cortisone shot. I took a few weeks off from running and then started back slow. I haven't had a problem since.

I can't possibly encourage something more than orthotics. I had planter faciatis and eventually planter fibromas which required surgery. It had gotten to the point where I would have awful pain in the mornings, and periodically throughout the day. After the surgery the problems returned about 6 months later. I had orthotics made, and have had a lot less pain when running since then (with my feet). The difference is night and day.

So I actually decided to join Lifetime Fitness (it was in proximity to my route between work and home). Love the place so far, and it seems to have everything I could ask for (especially a lap pool and spinning class). The weight area is not terribly crowded either in the morning. Thanks for the suggestion Saturday!

So I actually decided to join Lifetime Fitness (it was in proximity to my route between work and home). Love the place so far, and it seems to have everything I could ask for (especially a lap pool and spinning class). The weight area is not terribly crowded either in the morning. Thanks for the suggestion Saturday!

So I saw this in another thread and I wanted to bring it here to ask a little more about clarification.

"Lately I have been looking more and more into bodyweight workouts. I am old, turning 30 in a month, so my priorities are staying healthy/lean and injury free. I read an article during the Olympics that was saying most Olympians don't use weights in their training. For instance, those dudes that do the rings only do bodyweight exercises. It's more controlled motions and balance. There's less chance of tearing tendons and your muscles get built around your body structure. It makes sense, and those dudes don't have any trouble building muscle with the exercises, so it seems like it's better. It's definitely cheaper and more convenient, you can do them anywhere at any time."

The problem I have with working out is that no matter what I do, it seems like I have a difficult time building up my core muscle groups. I only see minimal gains in chest strength and back strength. I have dropped down from 227 to 203 (6'0", meso build for the most part) since February, doing weight training for a large portion of that, but I can still do very few pullups and dips, and I am not really seeing significant gains in my bench press or the various back exercises. Basically, it just seems that I am\ not gaining strength in those areas, despite varying my routine from time to time.

Conversely, I have very little trouble adding strength or size to my arms and shoulders, and legs have never been an issue. It may be a form thing, but I was wondering if anyone had any more info on the body weight exercises that I could try to supplement my workouts.

On the plus side, I have taken my 5 mile run time down from about 53 minutes to around 41, so I know I am actually getting healthier. Maybe I am being a little nitpicky...still, advice would be helpful!

Chicago marathon is this weekend. I'm shooting for 4 hours. I didn't start training until July for this one, and I'm running with the wife, so we'll see what happens.

Chicago marathon is this weekend. I'm shooting for 4 hours. I didn't start training until July for this one, and I'm running with the wife, so we'll see what happens.

I ran 4:01. The wife ran 3:57 in her first marathon. That's pretty **** incredible, if you ask me. We stayed together for the first 19 miles, but got split up at a water station, and apparently my pace slowed...a lot!

Wow, this thread is dead.

Sure is, guess i'll add some news. My shoulder has healed up good enough that I can start doing medium weight back and chest excercise I'm actually really happy about it, only one problem my lower back is sooo tight in the morning it makes it very difficult to do leg workouts like squats.

I thought i'd just tell what i've been doing for the past 4 months.

I was tired of being kinda overweight, so i decided that it was time to do something. Basically what i did was that i ate what i normally ate (i've never really eaten too unhealthy, but the amount i consumed was a problem), but i massively cut down on the amount i eat. I'd estimate that i about half of what i did before. I started running, but lately i've not been able to find the energy because i just started in medschool (In Denmark), and there's plenty of things to do. So far i've lost 53 pounds, so i'm down to 205. I'm 6'2", so i'm feeling pretty good about my self right now, but i'm looking to loose another 10-15 pounds. What i want to do is work on my stomach and chest (to tighten it up). I'd hate to start in a gym, because the money are short right now it's really expensive over here. Are there any stomach and chest excercises that the normal person wouldn't know of that i could do in my aparment, or outside?