JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,864 posts in this topic

pencilpusher (5/29/2008)
I gave up sodas about three weeks ago. won't even touch the diet sodas. It's amazing what a difference one tiny thing like that will do. Haven't changed anything else and I have not only dropped some pounds but just feel so much better. Mostly on water with either lemon or lime juice added now. And water with cucumber slices allowed to chill for a couple of hours completely kicks #####.

Not gonna lie. I still crave sodas enough to wanna scream, but I know those things are just about as bad as anything you can ingest.Probably as bad in their own ways as smoking.

I gave up soft drinks at new years, and other than once in Feb. when my wife slipped me a coke, I've been good. Still didn't give up tea or coffee, but since I drink those unsweetened/black I'm not as worried about it.

I've noticed I drink more water just because I have fewer choices.

Beer still calls my name from time to time though. :hehe:

Trainer at the gym I workout at told me to work out maybe 6 days a week. Go heavy on 3 days and really light on the other 3.

Monday: Chest/Triceps (hard)

Tuesday: Back/Biceps (hard)

Wednesday: Legs (hard)

Thursday: Chest/Triceps (lite)

Friday: Back/Biceps (lite)

Saturday: Legs (lite)

Every workout, I start off on the treadmill for about 10 minutes just to get my blood flowing. Then I go do my exercies. At the end of the exercises, I go a little more cardio, lite cardio. And call it a day. Every day I do my stomach. And every other day, I do shoulders.

Is that overtraining?

dday (5/29/2008)
pencilpusher (5/29/2008)
I gave up sodas about three weeks ago. won't even touch the diet sodas. It's amazing what a difference one tiny thing like that will do. Haven't changed anything else and I have not only dropped some pounds but just feel so much better. Mostly on water with either lemon or lime juice added now. And water with cucumber slices allowed to chill for a couple of hours completely kicks #####.

Not gonna lie. I still crave sodas enough to wanna scream, but I know those things are just about as bad as anything you can ingest.Probably as bad in their own ways as smoking.

Give it another month, then try a full strength soda, it'll foul you out. I haven't had a soda in probably 1.5 years, the other day I was so dry, had to have a drink of something, the only thing around was my wifes Pepsi, took one drink and about puked, like drinking straight sugar.

Same thing for me with pizza. I ordered a pizza two days ago and felt sick after I ate it. Blech

pencilpusher (5/29/2008)

PP, I've been posting my training logs in another forum, but I had to come in here and congratulate you on this. Good work. I second what the other poster said about going back in a few months. A regular soda will gag you. Stick it out.

I kicked off regular sodas (I do drink occasional diet sodas) and french fries and lost about 15 pounds. FWIW, I dropped the other 25 or so doing martial arts. It's taken me about 4 years total to get down to where I am now (about 175), but I feel a thousand percent better. Mentally and physically. Hang in there, and let me know if you need any advice or encouragement. PM is probably better, or I think you have my e-mail.

Congratulations!

JDaveG (6/2/2008)
pencilpusher (5/29/2008)

PP, I've been posting my training logs in another forum, but I had to come in here and congratulate you on this. Good work. I second what the other poster said about going back in a few months. A regular soda will gag you. Stick it out.

I kicked off regular sodas (I do drink occasional diet sodas) and french fries and lost about 15 pounds. FWIW, I dropped the other 25 or so doing martial arts. It's taken me about 4 years total to get down to where I am now (about 175), but I feel a thousand percent better. Mentally and physically. Hang in there, and let me know if you need any advice or encouragement. PM is probably better, or I think you have my e-mail.

Congratulations!

Thanks Dave! Still haven't drank another Soda and the cravings are dying down.

I mostly crave them when I get tired or sleepy, which is complete BS because instead of waking me caffiene has alway put me to sleep. that's how addicted I was to it..a stimulant actually calmed me.

Thanks for the support and encouragement..it means a lot!

I accidentally sipped a friends DR Pepper the other day and it tasted HORRIBLE. And Dr Pepper is one of the milder sodas.

birdman2k4 (5/31/2008)
Trainer at the gym I workout at told me to work out maybe 6 days a week. Go heavy on 3 days and really light on the other 3.

Every workout, I start off on the treadmill for about 10 minutes just to get my blood flowing. Then I go do my exercies. At the end of the exercises, I go a little more cardio, lite cardio. And call it a day. Every day I do my stomach. And every other day, I do shoulders.

Is that overtraining?

First off, congrats on the training.

Far be it from to critisize advice you are getting from a personal trainer. If you feel confident in the guy go with his advice. However....

Some of the general rules I learned about building muscle:

1. You build muscle most effectivly by working the muscle to exhaustion (the point at which you can no longer do one more rep, which is what I assume you mean by hard) using heavy weights. High reps using light weights is not a good way to build muscle.

2. When you work a muscle hard enough to make it grow, you need to give it about 48 hours to recover and build itself up.

The light days really aren't doing you any good. From a practical standpoint, you are doing 3 days on, and 4 days off, and you aren't giving your muscles enough time to recover and grow after the first two hard days.

Not knowing what you are trying to accomplish, I can only guess at your goals. Going 6 days a week, I would recommend an alternating schedule for the muscle building and cardio.

M-W-F do muscle building. Heavy weights. Low reps. Work each exercise to muscle exhaustion. Work your entire body. DO SQUATS!!!!!

T-T-S do cardio. My guess is the light cardio you are doing is, light the light weightlifting, t0o light to actually be doing you any good. Dedicating an entire session to your cardio will allow you to actually do enough cardio to do you some good. You'll also find that there are some cardio exercises that are actually a lot of fun (if you can find a Concept-II rowing machine, give it a shot, it is the closest to the real thing you can find.)

You won't bulk up enough to enter a body building contest on this schedule, nor get good enough at whatever cardio activity you choose (running, cycling, rowing, etc...) to be competitive at it, but you will end up with a balanced body (both from a muscle and cardio stand point.)

Brookhaven (6/3/2008)
birdman2k4 (5/31/2008)

Is that overtraining?

Far be it from to critisize advice you are getting from a personal trainer. If you feel confident in the guy go with his advice. However....

1. You build muscle most effectivly by working the muscle to exhaustion (the point at which you can no longer do one more rep, which is what I assume you mean by hard) using heavy weights. High reps using light weights is not a good way to build muscle.

2. When you work a muscle hard enough to make it grow, you need to give it about 48 hours to recover and build itself up.

The light days really aren't doing you any good. From a practical standpoint, you are doing 3 days on, and 4 days off, and you aren't giving your muscles enough time to recover and grow after the first two hard days.

Not knowing what you are trying to accomplish, I can only guess at your goals. Going 6 days a week, I would recommend an alternating schedule for the muscle building and cardio.

M-W-F do muscle building. Heavy weights. Low reps. Work each exercise to muscle exhaustion. Work your entire body. DO SQUATS!!!!!

T-T-S do cardio. My guess is the light cardio you are doing is, light the light weightlifting, t0o light to actually be doing you any good. Dedicating an entire session to your cardio will allow you to actually do enough cardio to do you some good. You'll also find that there are some cardio exercises that are actually a lot of fun (if you can find a Concept-II rowing machine, give it a shot, it is the closest to the real thing you can find.)

You won't bulk up enough to enter a body building contest on this schedule, nor get good enough at whatever cardio activity you choose (running, cycling, rowing, etc...) to be competitive at it, but you will end up with a balanced body (both from a muscle and cardio stand point.)

Working to exhaustion isn't very smart. First of all, working until exhaustion doesn't put much planning into it. He needs to set goals that he can accomplish instead of not even knowing how many reps he needs to do which subtely makes a negative attitude. Secondly, working out to exhaustion is too exhausting- it takes away from your next workout and you run the risk of injury.

My source? Getting Stronger by Bill Pearl.

If you want more info from this book, just tell me so. I'll be happy to post a few workouts you could do.:)

Legendary12 (6/3/2008)
Brookhaven (6/3/2008)
birdman2k4 (5/31/2008)

Is that overtraining?

Working to exhaustion isn't very smart. First of all, working until exhaustion doesn't put much planning into it. He needs to set goals that he can accomplish instead of not even knowing how many reps he needs to do which subtely makes a negative attitude. Secondly, working out to exhaustion is too exhausting- it takes away from your next workout and you run the risk of injury.

My source? Getting Stronger by Bill Pearl.

If you want more info from this book, just tell me so. I'll be happy to post a few workouts you could do.:)

Working to exhaustion does NOT mean working till you pass out from exhaustion. :(  It means working the muscle you are trying to train fully. Working it until you can't do another full rep.

Not knowing how many reps? The number of reps it takes to reach musche muscle exahustion doesn't change that much from session to session. You'll see a GRADUAL increase over time, but that is to be expected as you build muscle.

Too exhausting? Hight intensisty training--HIT (or nautalus style as it was known in my youth) is SINIFICANTLY less exhausting on the body as a whole than traditional wieght training methods. Why? HIT sessions are intense, but SHORT. Which is less exhausting, six hour traditional weight training session or two hour HIT session?

Takes away from your next workout? HIT requires that you rest a full day between your workouts. By the time your next session comes your muscles are fully rested and redy to go again. Traditional weight training has you in the gym for long hours day in and day out. Not rest days between sessions. Your body never has time to fully recover. How can you be ready for your next workout if you haven't recoverd from you last one?

Increased risk of injury? HIT requires slow, deliberate motions, not the jerky overpaced (and more dangerous) ones you often see in traditional weight lifting. Besides, the risk of injury is there for any weight lifting style. That's why it is important you use the proper safety equipment and spotters no matter what type of lifting you are doing.

In my youth (early '70s), Natutilus training was just comming in. There was a flurry of sudden interest in their machines, because people were acheiving results in 3-4 months that usually took people a year to acheive with regular weight training. At first people were saying it must be the machines. Turned out it was the training methods they were telling people to use with their machines that was responsible (and it worked just as well with free weights as it did with machines.)  What in the early '70s was called the Nautilus training method is now called high intensity training.

I can't say I've read the book you mention. I have read a lot of bodybuilding books over the years, and I know they often give contridictory lessons. I do know from the past what works. HIT works, works better than traditional, pre-70s weight training methods (which is what most "modern" weight training books teach), and takes a fraction of the time.

dday (5/29/2008)
dday (2/29/2008)
Ok well I've been slacking when it comes to posting on this but I haven't been slacking on my diet or exercise. I started out at the end of December at 6'2" 288lbs of giant fat ##### I'm proud to say that I'm still 6'2" but only weight 252lbs -36lbs in 2 months, my goal was 225lbs but I decided to push for 200lbs and build back up to 225lb-250 of brick out house.

I decided that a total life change was in order, complete over hall of how, what and when I eat. I'm on a very strict diet of green leafy veggies and protein 6-8 meals a day. I train heavy 4-5 days a week at 5am, walk 30min at lunch and come home M-W-F and do another session of abs and some back rehab. Once the FN weather switches to decent temps I'll be WALKING golf courses, I won't carry my bag due to back issues but walking is better than riding, I'll also be on the mountain bike or track everyday.

I'm pretty certain that I've actually gained muscle, which is very hard to do on a calorie deficet but with the size gains in my arms (17" up to 18") and almost an 1" on my thighs I know it isn't fat.

OH I almost forgot, IMO www.t-nation.com forums are the best site on the net for tips and help with your work out.

My new motto: Eat right and lift heavy sh!t! Good luck to you all.

Update: Currently 230lbs the weight loss has slowed way down but a total loss of 58lbs so far this year, another 30lbs to go.

Pant size went from 44 to 36, shirt size from XXXL to XL. Still got a bit of a spare tire but it's going flat.

great job man! my goal for the summer is to get in better shape (im 190 right now, my normal weight was around 180 but i havent worked out in a while and ive been eating total sh**). im going to go to the site you suggested to try and get some tips, and i will be putting together a workout schedule for next week. i need a membership somewhere though, so that will have to come later (perhaps tomorrow).

congratulations on all your work man, im sure it is paying off for you. i bet you feel great. i felt like it might help to hear it, so here ya go! haha

I am on a little island in the Gulf of Thailand right now...but I found an open air gym used by Mui Thai fighters. Rusted weights, the stench of sweat that wont leave, 90 degrees in the shade....its BA.

That and I'm diving twice a day...which isn't that strenuous, but its better than sitting at a desk. And I walk about a mile to and from the shop twice a day at least.

AND I have had some crazy kind of dysentary for a few days...I'm losing weight out here like crazy.

Well, I'm back.

I've only got a few things on my schedule this year.  Chicago marathon and Accenture triathlon are the biggies, but I'm debating a sprint-tri in July up in Racine, Wis.  There's just a few problems...

I haven't ridden a bike or swam since November.  And I have probably only 50 miles under my belt for the whole year so far.  So I have a month to get in decent shape.  I'll keep you informed. 

I had a basketball camp today that will be going on until Friday. I played basketball for a good 5-6 hours and sweat so much that my nipples hurt when I touch them, like when one spends 2+ hours in the ocean.:crazy:

Legendary12 (6/16/2008)
I had a basketball camp today that will be going on until Friday. I played basketball for a good 5-6 hours and sweat so much that my nipples hurt when I touch them, like when one spends 2+ hours in the ocean.:crazy:

As a surfer I feel ya man.  When you dont wear a wetsuit or rashguard you can get some serious friction going on your nipples.  Mine were covered with scabs after surfing for 4 hrs with no shirt....not to mention a terrible sunburn.

I'm sorry if I halted the progress of this thread in any way. Please continue your conversation about nipples and rash guards and wetsuits. I'll just watch

with my pants down.

Headshot (6/23/2008)
I'm sorry if I halted the progress of this thread in any way. Please continue your conversation about nipples and rash guards and wetsuits. I'll just watch

with my pants down.

If you've got a foot fetish, I can tell you what happened to my feet. Probably will make you want to pull your pants back up, though.

Legendary12 (6/23/2008)
Headshot (6/23/2008)

with my pants down.

If you've got a foot fetish, I can tell you what happened to my feet. Probably will make you want to pull your pants back up, though.

LOL, I do have a foot fetish. Not a weird one, but it only applies to women. I'll make an effort though.

well i took the initiative to fill out the paperwork for the vitality center that my employer runs. i get free membership to it since i'm an employee for this health care company, so it's a nice perk. i go on monday for my "fitness assessment" so we'll see how things go.

Headshot (6/23/2008)

Haha its a surfer thing.

I did think it was pretty funny how the thread died for like 3 days, i saw your response, and i was just like what do i write to something like that? Haha

I while back I read something in Mens Fitness about a Japanese study that found elliptical machines could cause hip damage because of the angle of the foot. Haven't been able to find more info on it, and of course the article was very vague with sources. Anyone else hear about this or read more about it?

When I started exercising and dieting on 12/1/07 I weighed 226 lbs.

Weight this morning...187 lbs.

I feel like a new man. It feels good to see your hard work pay off.

falkonX7 (7/22/2008)
When I started exercising and dieting on 12/1/07 I weighed 226 lbs.

Weight this morning...187 lbs.

I feel like a new man. It feels good to see your hard work pay off.

Congrats man!  Hard work does pay off big time, just keep it up!

I can't wait for school to start back so that I can start weight training. The only bad thing is that I don't know how I can get in the weight room unless the football players are working out.

Just wanted to say that I've gotten back into a good habit of going to the gym about 5 days a week. I tend to have cycles of a few good weeks, then I slack off for a few weeks. As always, I hope this stretch of good weeks lasts a while. ^_^