JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,863 posts in this topic

ucsbdirtybird (4/16/2008)
Alright, question for someone.  I have to go to the gym early in the a.m. due to work and the fact that after work I am lazy and tired after work.  I don't have a lifting partner and I am trying to increase the strength of my chest.  Barbell benching is great, but I would love to be able to do flay bench with the olympic bar and try to build strength that way.  With no spotter and a woefully weak chest this is pretty much a no go.  I don't really feel that the smith machine will help me build that much strength, but it does help with the whole "no spotter" thing.  Anyone have any suggestions? 

My chest work out now is pretty much 4 x 15, 12, 8 then 6 at increasing weights with the following execrises: flat barbell bench, incline barbell bench, decline cable press, incline barbell flys and serratus (sp) pull overs.  I will usually follow that with a bunch of dips to failure (after doing my tricep work out). 

Serratus anterior pullovers are good exercises, just dont go heavy. As soon as you go too heavy, you end up recruiting muscles you dont want and risk shoulder injury.

If you want to see some size gains, take out any cable work. Machines are not the domain you want to be in if you want a stronger chest. Dips and incline dumbbell are probably the best 2 exercises....this being my opinion of course.

tipp78 (4/16/2008)
harringtonbomb (4/16/2008)
tipp78 (4/16/2008)
harringtonbomb (4/15/2008)
I'd also like to add that I ate so much yesterday and today. Yesterday, I ate until I couldn't anymore and ended up dry heaving :cool: and today I ate quite a bit of food, but not quite as much as yesterday.

Expect that, when you lift hard you will eat sooooooo much.  Since I can only really do legs effectivley right now, I destroy them I'll have dinner afterwards then eat 2-3 more times before I go to bed, like tuna sandwiches and stuff.

O yea I looked at ur calf workout 2 sets of 15, maybe try 10 sets of 10 I know it sounds crazy, but I've been doing it for about 3 months and my calves are really starting to look good.

I'll try to do that. I'm not sure if I'll have enough time, though.

If you do try it out, only rest about 8-10 seconds inbetween each set and then go again, it should only take about 3-4 mintutes so its super intense just do a decent weight that you can handle for high reps.

Sounds good (and painful:D)

Today I did some upper body cicuit training. Can't remember exactly all I did, but I CAN remember my arms were completely shot after the workout. Gaining weight has been suprisingly easier than expected, as I weighed in at 148 lbs. last Friday and now I'm at about 158 pounds. The good thing is that I'm not eating crap, either, so I'm not gaining much fat, if at all.

harringtonbomb (4/17/2008)
Today I did some upper body cicuit training. Can't remember exactly all I did, but I CAN remember my arms were completely shot after the workout. Gaining weight has been suprisingly easier than expected, as I weighed in at 148 lbs. last Friday and now I'm at about 158 pounds. The good thing is that I'm not eating crap, either, so I'm not gaining much fat, if at all.

I've always struggled at gaining weight,  but I think each year in Highschool I gained about 10 pounds a year. Freshman year I think I mighta weighed 125, started lifting shot up to 135, sophmore year about 140 then Junior year 150 Seinor year football season I weighed like 162 and felt awesome, then we ran so much in football by the end i weighed like 152 at the end.  As soon as I graduated I started hitting legs hard, (I always neglected them).  Like 2 months ago I was 170, but then I hurt my shoulder and dropped to 163 but ive been slowly healing up and still hitting legs I'm like 165 right now.

Doing legs will add 10-15 pounds quickly...and leg size tends to stick even if you semi-neglect them for months. Your strength in power lifts will drop like a rock, but the size hangs out for a minute.

ki45toryu (4/17/2008)
Doing legs will add 10-15 pounds quickly...and leg size tends to stick even if you semi-neglect them for months. Your strength in power lifts will drop like a rock, but the size hangs out for a minute.

I can vouch for that I'd have to say alot of squats and alot of eating gave me a good 10-12 pounds extra on my legs.  I really cant believe I negelected them for so long.

ki45toryu (4/17/2008)

Thanks for the help with my previous post. I do incline barbells regularly, but I guess there is no real way around not having a spotter when you want to go heavy. Also, I never take my serratus pullovers over about 55lbs, it starts to mess with my form at the moment and I feel it in areas other than chest and the serratus group.

Regarding the leg thing, I heard years ago that doing leg workouts will actually increase the testosterone levels in your body more so than other muscle group work outs. If that were true it may explain why leg workouts are so much more helpful at gaining weight. If not, then I really don't care, just curious. I love a good leg workout, sore calves strangely make me happy.

ucsbdirtybird (4/18/2008)
ki45toryu (4/17/2008)

Thanks for the help with my previous post. I do incline barbells regularly, but I guess there is no real way around not having a spotter when you want to go heavy. Also, I never take my serratus pullovers over about 55lbs, it starts to mess with my form at the moment and I feel it in areas other than chest and the serratus group.

Regarding the leg thing, I heard years ago that doing leg workouts will actually increase the testosterone levels in your body more so than other muscle group work outs. If that were true it may explain why leg workouts are so much more helpful at gaining weight. If not, then I really don't care, just curious. I love a good leg workout, sore calves strangely make me happy.

There is the theory that since legs constitute such large muscle groups, when your body is forced to repair them, you end up modulating more testosterone to be produced....as well as increase growth hormone and cortisol release(via ACTH acting on the adrenals) in the anterior pituitary.

Man, I love working out! I can't wait until the summer when I can go to LA fitness or something like that but, right now, I'm stuck with the school's decent-at-best weight room. I love doing dips and pullups, and love the progress I'm making. I've noticed dips and pullups are really good workouts because they: 1. Aren't ever used because so many people are obsessed with benching, so I get some good time by myself at those machines; 2. You don't need a spotter unless you really suck lol; and 3. Burnouts on pullups and dips don't take very long for me, at least. I would do more bench but most of my weight training class stays at the benches for a good 25-30 minutes of the 35 minutes we're in there, and dips can be really effective on the chest muscles so I use that as an alternative.

Legendary12 (4/29/2008)
Man, I love working out! I can't wait until the summer when I can go to LA fitness or something like that but, right now, I'm stuck with the school's decent-at-best weight room. I love doing dips and pullups, and love the progress I'm making. I've noticed dips and pullups are really good workouts because they: 1. Aren't ever used because so many people are obsessed with benching, so I get some good time by myself at those machines; 2. You don't need a spotter unless you really suck lol; and 3. Burnouts on pullups and dips don't take very long for me, at least. I would do more bench but most of my weight training class stays at the benches for a good 25-30 minutes of the 35 minutes we're in there, and dips can be really effective on the chest muscles so I use that as an alternative.

Right on I used to be a dip FREAK, but my shoulder wont allow it just yet.  I would get one of those belts and put about 55-65 pounds and dip with that.  Thats a great choice for an excercise, it will really develop your triceps and chest.  Patrick Kerney was my inspiration when doing those dips, cuz he had some monster triceps.

tipp78 (4/30/2008)
Legendary12 (4/29/2008)

Right on I used to be a dip FREAK, but my shoulder wont allow it just yet.  I would get one of those belts and put about 55-65 pounds and dip with that.  Thats a great choice for an excercise, it will really develop your triceps and chest.  Patrick Kerney was my inspiration when doing those dips, cuz he had some monster triceps.

I'll be doing that when I'm able to do 15 dips in one set because right now it's a little hard. I did gain 1 rep from last week, though. At first, they really hurt my chest and I didn't want to do them because of that but I guess it's because I was new to it and/or I wasn't doing them right.

Legendary12 (4/30/2008)
tipp78 (4/30/2008)
Legendary12 (4/29/2008)

I'll be doing that when I'm able to do 15 dips in one set because right now it's a little hard. I did gain 1 rep from last week, though. At first, they really hurt my chest and I didn't want to do them because of that but I guess it's because I was new to it and/or I wasn't doing them right.

Yea I feel ya man, I tryed to introduce it to some friends awhile ago and they could barley do 5, but after awhile they started jumping up to like 15-20 reps so it should be the same for you.  Yea dips can really make the chest feel uncomftarble I usually would work though it as long as there wasnt any pain but you know dont risk anything just do what you can w/o pain. 

I just lifted this morning, at about 7:30 did some Triceps workouts then hit up the biceps, I went pretty light cuz of my shoulder and afterwards I kept saying to myself.  "Please no pain please no pain"  And so far none!  So I guess my shoulder is getting better.

Dammit, we've got some crazy #### going on here at school and I can't get a routine going. I guess I'll have to resort to pushups and those weird dips

Every Saturday nights i go with my pplz...and we play a huge football game. So during the week I do many different workouts...pull ups, sit ups, push ups, bench, etc to prepare. And its basketball day on fridays.

Legendary12 (4/8/2008)
Can someone create an upper body routine so I can get stronger and more muscular for basketball? I currently weigh 150 lbs. and I would like to improve my bench max by at least 25 lbs. and bulk up to about 165-170 lbs. I have about five months to get this done.

Having been involved in weightlifting for sports in my younger days (wrestling), here are my experiences for what works and doesn't work if your goal is to build strength.

Low reps. If you are doing a set of 12 reps or higher, you are building endurance, not strength. Ideally, you should achieve failure (when you get stuck right in the middle of the movement because your muscles are exhausted) on rep #8. When you find you can do 9 reps (get stuck on 10), move to a heavier weight.

Don't do sets, strip your weights. The typical weightlifting advice is something like "get a 50 pound barbell and do three sets of 50 (3x8-50). So you do one set of 8. Rest. The 2nd set of 8. Rest. The third set of 8. All with the same weight.

Stripping weights builds muscle (and strength) faster. We'll use the bench press for an example. Start with a weight you max out on at 8 reps (let's say 100 pounds). When you max out, IMMEDIATLY remove 10 pounds of weight from the bar and IMMEDIATLY continue to exercise. Ideally, you should max out on rep #8 with the lower weight. Strip 10 more pounds off the bar and continue the exercise cycle. Repeat the cycle as many times as you want (3 or 4 is a practical number). The key is to not rest between "sets". You are trying to work you muscles to the max.

Don't do multiple sets of "stripping sets" (described above) in one session. One stripping set will exhaust your muscles to the extent they need to grow.

Excersice slow. Use 2-3 seconds to raise the weight, and 2-3 seconds to lower the weight (going down is just as important as going up.) The faster your movements, the slower your muscle gain.

Do negative reps. When you get the to point you are maxed out on a weight (get stuck in the middle of the 8th rep) have a spotter help raise the weight and just do the lowering part of the movement on your own (S L O W L Y - 3 seconds). Add a set of 8 negative reps onto the end of your stripping set (HUGE MUSCLE GAINS.)

Use compound exersices. Bodybuilders use isolation exercises to pinpoint a specific muscle that they feel is lagging, but as an athlete (with limited time) you should concentrate on compound exercies (which will allow your muscles to grow together.) The bench press works your chest, front shoulders, and triceps (back of arms.) Bench flys isolate your chest, doing little to work your front shoulders (and nothing for your triceps.)

Learn what exercises work what muscles. Get a book that shows which muscles which exercises work (not in words, but in pictures.)

Do squats. I don't care if you want to concentrate on your upper body, do squats. It has been proven that weightlifting has a systemic effect. When you exercise a single muscle, your body releases a hormone that causes ALL the muscles in your body to grow some (even if you didn't exercise them at all.) The larger the muscle exercised, the more of the hormone is released. What single exercise works the largest muscles in your body (and thus causes the greatest systemic effect/most hormone release? Squats.

Best compound exercises (imho): squats, deadlift, dips (the kind you lean forward so you work your chest, if you do them with you body vertical you will mostly work your triceps), pull-ups (lat pull down if you can't do a weighted pull up), rows, military press.

Don't forget your back and stomach. Too many people ignore their back (after all, you can't see it.) The real test of how strong you are isn't how much you can bench (your chest), it is how much you can lift off the ground (which requires a strong back.)

Machines are bettter than nothing. Barbells are better than machines. Dumbbells are better than barbells. Why? Barbells bring more muscles into play and allow a more natural/greater range of movement than machines. Dumbbells bring more muscles into play and allow a more natrual/greater range of movement than barbells. Ask someone bragging about how much they can bench to show you their max dumbbell bench press. It will probably be 75% of what they bench with a barbell, and if they have done their training on a machine it could be as little ast 50%.

So, I set a goal a few months ago of getting back in shape in order to run the San Francisco Bay to Breakers 12K.  I wanted to lose 40 lbs in the process of getting back in shape.  Unfortunately I was only able to lose about 25 (so far) but I have begun the process of changing my body composition. Yesterday I was able to run Bay to Breakers in a little over an hour.  I am going to look for another 12K sometime in the fall, possibly a half marathon, just to give myself another goal to work towards, an ensure that I can keep getting in shape.

This thread has been a wealth of information that has helped me along the way.  Thanks to all those who contributed!

Brookhaven (5/19/2008)
Legendary12 (4/8/2008)
Can someone create an upper body routine so I can get stronger and more muscular for basketball? I currently weigh 150 lbs. and I would like to improve my bench max by at least 25 lbs. and bulk up to about 165-170 lbs. I have about five months to get this done.

Having been involved in weightlifting for sports in my younger days (wrestling), here are my experiences for what works and doesn't work if your goal is to build strength.

Low reps. If you are doing a set of 12 reps or higher, you are building endurance, not strength. Ideally, you should achieve failure (when you get stuck right in the middle of the movement because your muscles are exhausted) on rep #8. When you find you can do 9 reps (get stuck on 10), move to a heavier weight.

Don't do sets, strip your weights. The typical weightlifting advice is something like "get a 50 pound barbell and do three sets of 50 (3x8-50). So you do one set of 8. Rest. The 2nd set of 8. Rest. The third set of 8. All with the same weight.

Stripping weights builds muscle (and strength) faster. We'll use the bench press for an example. Start with a weight you max out on at 8 reps (let's say 100 pounds). When you max out, IMMEDIATLY remove 10 pounds of weight from the bar and IMMEDIATLY continue to exercise. Ideally, you should max out on rep #8 with the lower weight. Strip 10 more pounds off the bar and continue the exercise cycle. Repeat the cycle as many times as you want (3 or 4 is a practical number). The key is to not rest between "sets". You are trying to work you muscles to the max.

Don't do multiple sets of "stripping sets" (described above) in one session. One stripping set will exhaust your muscles to the extent they need to grow.

Excersice slow. Use 2-3 seconds to raise the weight, and 2-3 seconds to lower the weight (going down is just as important as going up.) The faster your movements, the slower your muscle gain.

Do negative reps. When you get the to point you are maxed out on a weight (get stuck in the middle of the 8th rep) have a spotter help raise the weight and just do the lowering part of the movement on your own (S L O W L Y - 3 seconds). Add a set of 8 negative reps onto the end of your stripping set (HUGE MUSCLE GAINS.)

Use compound exersices. Bodybuilders use isolation exercises to pinpoint a specific muscle that they feel is lagging, but as an athlete (with limited time) you should concentrate on compound exercies (which will allow your muscles to grow together.) The bench press works your chest, front shoulders, and triceps (back of arms.) Bench flys isolate your chest, doing little to work your front shoulders (and nothing for your triceps.)

Learn what exercises work what muscles. Get a book that shows which muscles which exercises work (not in words, but in pictures.)

Do squats. I don't care if you want to concentrate on your upper body, do squats. It has been proven that weightlifting has a systemic effect. When you exercise a single muscle, your body releases a hormone that causes ALL the muscles in your body to grow some (even if you didn't exercise them at all.) The larger the muscle exercised, the more of the hormone is released. What single exercise works the largest muscles in your body (and thus causes the greatest systemic effect/most hormone release? Squats.

Best compound exercises (imho): squats, deadlift, dips (the kind you lean forward so you work your chest, if you do them with you body vertical you will mostly work your triceps), pull-ups (lat pull down if you can't do a weighted pull up), rows, military press.

Don't forget your back and stomach. Too many people ignore their back (after all, you can't see it.) The real test of how strong you are isn't how much you can bench (your chest), it is how much you can lift off the ground (which requires a strong back.)

Machines are bettter than nothing. Barbells are better than machines. Dumbbells are better than barbells. Why? Barbells bring more muscles into play and allow a more natural/greater range of movement than machines. Dumbbells bring more muscles into play and allow a more natrual/greater range of movement than barbells. Ask someone bragging about how much they can bench to show you their max dumbbell bench press. It will probably be 75% of what they bench with a barbell, and if they have done their training on a machine it could be as little ast 50%.

You're two days late on this advice. I swear. I got a book two days ago explaining what I should do in my workout. I do understand why you think I should do squats, but I don't have a decent squat rack and enough weights to give me a good leg workout, so I'm actually doing Jumpsoles. I'm going to see if my dad will get me a membership to the ymca and workout there but he is so **** reluctant on doing that because we have a bench at home, a crappy one at that because it's one of those "full body workout" benches that have every exercise on one bench. So, if you could give advice on persuasion, I would be grateful.

Legendary12 (5/19/2008)
You're two days late on this advice. I swear. I got a book two days ago explaining what I should do in my workout. I do understand why you think I should do squats, but I don't have a decent squat rack and enough weights to give me a good leg workout, so I'm actually doing Jumpsoles. I'm going to see if my dad will get me a membership to the ymca and workout there but he is so **** reluctant on doing that because we have a bench at home, a crappy one at that because it's one of those "full body workout" benches that have every exercise on one bench. So, if you could give advice on persuasion, I would be grateful.

Sorry to be a day late.

The best way to persuade your dad to spend the money on a membership is to persuade him you are serious.

Use what you have. It is better than nothing.

1. Keep a log book of your exercise sessions (this is a great idea just for yourself anyway.) A month from now, you can show your dad concrete proof that he won't be wasting his money to purchase the Y membership.

2. The right tool should be used for the right purpose. A $15 pair of basketball shoes from Wal-Mart is fine for people that want to play an occasional pick up game of basketball, but I'm guessing your dad bought you a much better quality pair of shoes to play competitive basketball in. The same analogy applies to your weightlifting. A home/all in one bench is fine for people who want to tone up a few muscles, but a competitive athlete needs a different level of equipment.

Do not, under any circumstances belittle or put down the home bench. Your dad spent money on it, the last thing he wants to hear is he wasted his money.

3. Does the Y have a trainer of someone on staff who can give you advice (most do)? If so, you can remind your dad that you aren't just getting access to the gym, you are getting access to professional advice. One lesson I've learned, whether it is health, finances, business, career, or you name it, getting professional advice always pays for itself. The advice in itself can be the difference between you reaching your goals and being frustrated because you don't understand why you work so hard but don't reach your goals.

4. Point our some of the other activities you can get involved in at the Y. I became a pretty good racketball player in years past when I belonged to the (now gone) Buckhead Y.

about to head out of the country for 3 months...for an island with no gym...looks like i'll be losing weight

ki45toryu (5/19/2008)
about to head out of the country for 3 months...for an island with no gym...looks like i'll be losing weight

Have you looked at taking a set of gym exercise rings with you? They can be used anywhere you can find a place to hang them (which can be something as simple as a tree limb.)

http://www.ringtraining.com/

I got a set of these because I didn't have anything to do pull-ups and dips on. Turns out there are a lot of different exercises you can do with them (all upper body though.) It is a lot harder than it looks. Simple things like push-ups are tough, because you are have to use all kinds of muscles you don't normally use in the movement to keep your balance.

ki45toryu (5/19/2008)

Where are you going?  I spend a lot of time on an island with no gym, and hardly any paved roads.  It's amazing what swimming, running, kayaking, etc. can do for you!  I usually leave in better shape than I arrived.

I'm jealous that you're going to an island for 3 months!

Brookhaven (5/20/2008)

Have you looked at taking a set of gym exercise rings with you? They can be used anywhere you can find a place to hang them (which can be something as simple as a tree limb.)

http://www.ringtraining.com/

I got a set of these because I didn't have anything to do pull-ups and dips on. Turns out there are a lot of different exercises you can do with them (all upper body though.) It is a lot harder than it looks. Simple things like push-ups are tough, because you are have to use all kinds of muscles you don't normally use in the movement to keep your balance.

I've had a set of Tyler's rings for years.  I get them back when he was making them out of steel.  Now they're molded in plastic and they're much better. 

I actually got involed in CrossFit after talking with Tyler on the Dragondoor.com forum.  I was combining kettlebell training with sprinting and ring work.  Tyler said that if I liked that style of training, I'd love CrossFit.  Been training CrossFit ever since.

I just set a new PR on the CrossFit "30 Muscle-Ups on the rings for time" workout of 8:37. 

I gave up sodas about three weeks ago. won't even touch the diet sodas. It's amazing what a difference one tiny thing like that will do. Haven't changed anything else and I have not only dropped some pounds but just feel so much better. Mostly on water with either lemon or lime juice added now. And water with cucumber slices allowed to chill for a couple of hours completely kicks #####.

Not gonna lie. I still crave sodas enough to wanna scream, but I know those things are just about as bad as anything you can ingest.Probably as bad in their own ways as smoking.

pencilpusher (5/29/2008)
I gave up sodas about three weeks ago. won't even touch the diet sodas. It's amazing what a difference one tiny thing like that will do. Haven't changed anything else and I have not only dropped some pounds but just feel so much better. Mostly on water with either lemon or lime juice added now. And water with cucumber slices allowed to chill for a couple of hours completely kicks #####.

Not gonna lie. I still crave sodas enough to wanna scream, but I know those things are just about as bad as anything you can ingest.Probably as bad in their own ways as smoking.

Give it another month, then try a full strength soda, it'll foul you out. I haven't had a soda in probably 1.5 years, the other day I was so dry, had to have a drink of something, the only thing around was my wifes Pepsi, took one drink and about puked, like drinking straight sugar.

dday (2/29/2008)
Ok well I've been slacking when it comes to posting on this but I haven't been slacking on my diet or exercise. I started out at the end of December at 6'2" 288lbs of giant fat ##### I'm proud to say that I'm still 6'2" but only weight 252lbs -36lbs in 2 months, my goal was 225lbs but I decided to push for 200lbs and build back up to 225lb-250 of brick out house.

I decided that a total life change was in order, complete over hall of how, what and when I eat. I'm on a very strict diet of green leafy veggies and protein 6-8 meals a day. I train heavy 4-5 days a week at 5am, walk 30min at lunch and come home M-W-F and do another session of abs and some back rehab. Once the FN weather switches to decent temps I'll be WALKING golf courses, I won't carry my bag due to back issues but walking is better than riding, I'll also be on the mountain bike or track everyday.

I'm pretty certain that I've actually gained muscle, which is very hard to do on a calorie deficet but with the size gains in my arms (17" up to 18") and almost an 1" on my thighs I know it isn't fat.

OH I almost forgot, IMO www.t-nation.com forums are the best site on the net for tips and help with your work out.

My new motto: Eat right and lift heavy sh!t! Good luck to you all.

Update: Currently 230lbs the weight loss has slowed way down but a total loss of 58lbs so far this year, another 30lbs to go.

Pant size went from 44 to 36, shirt size from XXXL to XL. Still got a bit of a spare tire but it's going flat.