JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,863 posts in this topic

I just went and ran a little over 3 miles... First time I've done anything like that since high school (10 years ago)...

My roommate is in the reserves and is training for a PT test (he's kinda heavy so he's not quite there yet) so I reluctantly went running with him... I'm a pack-a-day smoker and haven't ran for the sake of running in literally 10 years so I was surprised I could make it the whole course without stopping... I was absolutely DEAD when I got back home though... Feel great now...

We'll see if I can do this regularly... :D

ki45toryu (4/5/2008)
I lost about ten pounds.....today. And I had a great ab workout.

Both of these wonderful things come from, thats right, the flu.

The workout of champions!

1 hour 40 min. jiu jitsu last night.

I've been staying away from ABF because of the non stop politics, but I just saw this thread.

First, I used to work out on a regular basis back in high school and playing football. At 18 I maxed my bench at 325.

I bought a nice bench and weight set about a year ago, but hurt my shoulder, so didn't really get back into it. After this New Years, the drinking and the hot wings finally caught up with me and I hit 225, my highest weight ever. I hated it, and immediately changed my diet. I ran 2 miles that day, and lifted for 30 minutes. I was sore for the next 5 days:hehe:

That was the end of January, and now the beginning of April I'm down to 195 with a routine of lifting every other day for an hour to an hour 30, running and swiss ball exercises. I eat healthy all during the week (tuna, turkey, grilled chicken, eggs, low fat cheese, turkey burgers, lots of fruits and vegetables, low fat yogurt) and load my diet up with protein, and during the weekend I might splurge but nothing crazy. I enjoy the luxury of not being a fan of sweets, but I'm a sucker for starches and carbs. I still drink beer/liquor, but only weekends and not binge like before.

As for supplements, I always do the protein shakes after working out, take fish oil, Nano9 (nitric), and L-arginine.

What kind of supplements is everyone else taking?

Beau J (4/8/2008)
I've been staying away from ABF because of the non stop politics, but I just saw this thread.

First, I used to work out on a regular basis back in high school and playing football. At 18 I maxed my bench at 325.

I bought nice bench and weight set about a year ago, but hurt my shoulder, so didn't really get back into it. After this New Years, the drinking and the hot wings finally caught up with me and I hit 225, my highest weight ever. I hated it, and immediately changed my diet. I ran 2 miles that day, and lifted for 30 minutes. I was sore for the next 5 days:hehe:

That was the end of January, and now the beginning of April I'm down to 195 with a routine of lifting every other day for an hour to an hour 30, running and swiss ball exercises. I eat healthy all during the week (tuna, turkey, grilled chicken, eggs, low fat cheese, turkey burgers, lots of fruits and vegetables, low fat yogurt) and load my diet up with protein, and during the weekend I might splurge but nothing crazy. I enjoy the luxury of not being a fan of sweets, but I'm a sucker for starches and carbs. I still drink beer/liquor, but only weekends and not binge like before.

As for supplements, I always do the protein shakes after working out, take fish oil, Nano9 (nitric), and L-arginine.

What kind of supplements is everyone else taking?

Congrats on the weight loss!  I found myself at 225 on my birthday (2/1) and have been on a goal to get back down to 185 since then(205 now).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

As far as supplements I try to have protein shakes with Glutamine and Glucosomine mixed in twice a day, as well as a vitamin cocktail of Fish Oil, vitamin C, a vitamin B complex, daily multivitamin and a glucosomine and chondroitin; all in pill form.  I just started taking Nitrix (by BSN) about a week ago and I really like it, although I don't notice much of an energy boost in the gym, just a swollen feeling after and less soreness.  I am considering taking Cell Mass (I think it is also by BSN) once I get down to about 190 or 195, but the last thing I am trying to do now is take something with creatine in it and put on more weight. 

Thanks, and congrats on your loss too. I didn't really like the NitroTech and CellTech mass stuff. I didn't notice much result/performance wise, and I was loaded with water weight on my stomach. What sucked is I had to go to the beach in 3 weeks, so I quit with it. I felt sluggish and could feel the weight moving around.

I've seen a difference since I started taking the nitric stuff. I've been on it for about a month after being skeptical, but my pumps are bigger and I see a little spike in energy toward the end of the work out.

Can someone create an upper body routine so I can get stronger and more muscular for basketball? I currently weigh 150 lbs. and I would like to improve my bench max by at least 25 lbs. and bulk up to about 165-170 lbs. I have about five months to get this done.

harringtonbomb (4/8/2008)
Can someone create an upper body routine so I can get stronger and more muscular for basketball? I currently weigh 150 lbs. and I would like to improve my bench max by at least 25 lbs. and bulk up to about 165-170 lbs. I have about five months to get this done.

First off, dont worry about increasing bench press max. Yes to increasing chest strength, but dont worry about a max out number or anything.

Basically all I am saying is dont use that as the only indicator of your improving upper body strength.

ki45toryu (4/8/2008)
harringtonbomb (4/8/2008)

First off, dont worry about increasing bench press max. Yes to increasing chest strength, but dont worry about a max out number or anything.

Basically all I am saying is dont use that as the only indicator of your improving upper body strength.

Thanks, I understand what you're saying. Can you contribute a sample upper body workout for me, though, because you're a rugby player, right? You should know quite a bit about how to improve upper body strength.

harringtonbomb (4/9/2008)
Thanks, I understand what you're saying. Can you contribute a sample upper body workout for me, though, because you're a rugby player, right? You should know quite a bit about how to improve upper body strength.

FWIW, I can't really give a routine, because I don't have one, but I have always preferred compound exercises (like the bench press -- exercises that work more than 1 body part) for increasing strength. So whatever you do, include bench presses, bent-over barbell/dumbell rows, military presses, pullups and dips. And do those BEFORE you do any isolation exercises (like curls or flys).

I've been going to the gym with guys from work, and all the really brag about is bench press. It's not a good measure. 135 on the bar, and told them to do it as many times as they could. One guy did it 40 and the other only 28, yet they both max more than me. I did it 50 with energy to go, but I stopped.

I'm way ahead of them in curls, squats, deadlifts, powercleans, and legs presses though:)

Ok, ever since I graduated from college (last May) I have told myself that I'm going to take some time off with working out.  I played college football for 5 years and if any of you played college football you know how intense you train throughout the year.  Well I am going to enter a "Biggest Loser" competition at my work and I plan on winning it.  I will keep you guys updated at how everything is going.  Time to get back in the gym :D

MidWest Falcon (4/10/2008)
Ok, ever since I graduated from college (last May) I have told myself that I'm going to take some time off with working out.  I played college football for 5 years and if any of you played college football you know how intense you train throughout the year.  Well I am going to enter a "Biggest Loser" competition at my work and I plan on winning it.  I will keep you guys updated at how everything is going.  Time to get back in the gym :D

I told myself I was going to change my body appearance more so than take time working off. Instead of worrying about bench and clean...I started to focus on lower back, hams, pullups, and a few other things. More varied cardio instead of just sprinting around(although it is still my favorite).

Good luck hitting it back up bud.

We'll ki45toryu,

Its been 3 weeks since I first complained to you about my shoulder.  I followed your advice about trying to not use it as much, and I can def. say it has helped.  I'd say its about 65% better, I've been at the gym doing therabands excercises, just about every other day and the strength has increased and I feel hardly (if any) pain afterwards.  The best news is on Saturday I went out and surfed for almost 3 hours!  It was kinda sore afterwards so I opted out of the second surf session just incase, but afterwards it felt fine.  Anyways man thanks for the advice it really helped, I know I have a long way to go before its 100% but being able to surf is good enough.:cool:

tipp78 (4/14/2008)
We'll ki45toryu,

Its been 3 weeks since I first complained to you about my shoulder.  I followed your advice about trying to not use it as much, and I can def. say it has helped.  I'd say its about 65% better, I've been at the gym doing therabands excercises, just about every other day and the strength has increased and I feel hardly (if any) pain afterwards.  The best news is on Saturday I went out and surfed for almost 3 hours!  It was kinda sore afterwards so I opted out of the second surf session just incase, but afterwards it felt fine.  Anyways man thanks for the advice it really helped, I know I have a long way to go before its 100% but being able to surf is good enough.:cool:

Sweet man...just dont go overboard ja know...also, when you do start back into the weights again at the gym, stay away from military press barbell and dumbell, and stay away from any kind of bench press, chest flies, or dips. With chest, stick with light dumbbell presses, and machines...for now at least until things are close to 100%.

ki45toryu (4/14/2008)
tipp78 (4/14/2008)
We'll ki45toryu,

Sweet man...just dont go overboard ja know...also, when you do start back into the weights again at the gym, stay away from military press barbell and dumbell, and stay away from any kind of bench press, chest flies, or dips. With chest, stick with light dumbbell presses, and machines...for now at least until things are close to 100%.

Yea I feel ya man, I'm desperate to get back and start doing chest again cuz man is mine small, but I'd rather not risk it and be hurting for another 3 weeks.

MidWest Falcon (4/10/2008)

OK

I weighed in at 240.6 lbs on Friday, April 11th

Monday 14th: 233.5

Tuesday 15th: 235.5

Wednesday 16th:

Thursday 17th:

Friday 18th:

I added 2 lbs but that's OK because on Monday I weighed in before I ate breakfast and today I weighed in after breakfast and a lot of water ;)

I've been reducing my calories A LOT.  Should I keep this up?  Or should I fluctuate my calorie intake?

Dont weigh yourself every day...you'll fluctuate depending on the time of day, how much water you are retaining, and when you ate last.

Try it twice a month...its a better indication...then again, weight watching probably isnt the best to begin with, especially if you are doing weight training.

My chest and back are sore today. Yesterday, I did 3 sets of DB flys, 3 sets of DB press, 3xBurnout on pullups and dips, 2 sets of military press, and 2 sets of shrugs. I felt so good this morning, though, because I woke up with tons of energy, although I only slept 7 hours. My alarm clock woke me up and, for the first time in my life, I didn't feel like going back to sleep.:)

Today, I did 5x5 on squats, 1x5 on deadlift, 2x15 on calf raise machine, ab work, and 2 sets on leg press (quads are sore now, :))

I'd also like to add that I ate so much yesterday and today. Yesterday, I ate until I couldn't anymore and ended up dry heaving :cool: and today I ate quite a bit of food, but not quite as much as yesterday.

harringtonbomb (4/15/2008)
I'd also like to add that I ate so much yesterday and today. Yesterday, I ate until I couldn't anymore and ended up dry heaving :cool: and today I ate quite a bit of food, but not quite as much as yesterday.

Expect that, when you lift hard you will eat sooooooo much.  Since I can only really do legs effectivley right now, I destroy them I'll have dinner afterwards then eat 2-3 more times before I go to bed, like tuna sandwiches and stuff.

O yea I looked at ur calf workout 2 sets of 15, maybe try 10 sets of 10 I know it sounds crazy, but I've been doing it for about 3 months and my calves are really starting to look good.

ki45toryu (4/15/2008)
Dont weigh yourself every day...you'll fluctuate depending on the time of day, how much water you are retaining, and when you ate last.

Try it twice a month...its a better indication...then again, weight watching probably isnt the best to begin with, especially if you are doing weight training.

Read my whole post...even the quote ;)

Alright, question for someone.  I have to go to the gym early in the a.m. due to work and the fact that after work I am lazy and tired after work.  I don't have a lifting partner and I am trying to increase the strength of my chest.  Barbell benching is great, but I would love to be able to do flay bench with the olympic bar and try to build strength that way.  With no spotter and a woefully weak chest this is pretty much a no go.  I don't really feel that the smith machine will help me build that much strength, but it does help with the whole "no spotter" thing.  Anyone have any suggestions? 

My chest work out now is pretty much 4 x 15, 12, 8 then 6 at increasing weights with the following execrises: flat barbell bench, incline barbell bench, decline cable press, incline barbell flys and serratus (sp) pull overs.  I will usually follow that with a bunch of dips to failure (after doing my tricep work out). 

tipp78 (4/16/2008)

Expect that, when you lift hard you will eat sooooooo much.  Since I can only really do legs effectivley right now, I destroy them I'll have dinner afterwards then eat 2-3 more times before I go to bed, like tuna sandwiches and stuff.

O yea I looked at ur calf workout 2 sets of 15, maybe try 10 sets of 10 I know it sounds crazy, but I've been doing it for about 3 months and my calves are really starting to look good.

I'll try to do that. I'm not sure if I'll have enough time, though.

harringtonbomb (4/16/2008)
tipp78 (4/16/2008)

I'll try to do that. I'm not sure if I'll have enough time, though.

If you do try it out, only rest about 8-10 seconds inbetween each set and then go again, it should only take about 3-4 mintutes so its super intense just do a decent weight that you can handle for high reps.