JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,864 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I just started working out again after a long layoff. Wanted to know if someone had some web links or just advice they could give me on working out. I'm 33, 6' tall, close to 300 lbs. My measurements are a 56" chest with a 40" waist. I just joined a gym again and have been going this week riding the stationary bike. I have a knee injury that makes it almost impossible to run on the treadmill or even use the elliptical machine (I am sure my weight is contributing to that as well).

Does anyone have advice on what I need to do to tone up, lose some weight around my middle, and add a little bit of size in muscle? I have thought about hiring a trainer to come with me and subscribe a workout plan but i wanted to research it myself first. I have a class this weekend at the gym and will start going to lift weights every other day at 4:30 in the morning (for about an hour) and then every other day doing cardio-work.

Any advice anyone has or good web links would be appreciated.

plainsong (3/21/2008)
Hey guys,

I just started working out again after a long layoff. Wanted to know if someone had some web links or just advice they could give me on working out. I'm 33, 6' tall, close to 300 lbs. My measurements are a 56" chest with a 40" waist. I just joined a gym again and have been going this week riding the stationary bike. I have a knee injury that makes it almost impossible to run on the treadmill or even use the elliptical machine (I am sure my weight is contributing to that as well).

Does anyone have advice on what I need to do to tone up, lose some weight around my middle, and add a little bit of size in muscle? I have thought about hiring a trainer to come with me and subscribe a workout plan but i wanted to research it myself first. I have a class this weekend at the gym and will start going to lift weights every other day at 4:30 in the morning (for about an hour) and then every other day doing cardio-work.

Any advice anyone has or good web links would be appreciated.

Definately stay off the high impact stuff like running until the knee is ready.  The stationary bike is good, but I always like to steer people toward a rowing erg if they have access to one.  Just look at the amount of muscle mass used in rowing vs. riding a stationary bike or running.  It's no contest.

As far as how to do the cardio, interval training is your best friend no matter what your goals are.  A 20 mintus interval session (including warm-up) is far superior to a long, steady state session.  Once you get a base level of fitness, adding intervals will increase fitness faster than you can imagine. 

For strength training, master your bodyweight first.  Until you know how to move your body with absolutley perfect form and with relavtive ease, there's no use in addind external resistance. At the gym where I work, we don't let clients begin adding resistance until they can meet certain criteria with bodyweight - i.e. we won't let them squat with weight until they can put up a Tabata bodyweight squat score of 20 with perfect form and body alignment.

I would be very weary of a personal trainer who immediately starts to load movements before drilling perfection of form with bodyweight.

And remember, diet is at least 50% of fitness results.  NO matter how great your program, your results will suck if nutrition isn't in line.  

Another night of soccer. Going to have to make a little more time to get in game shape during the week. Stuff keeps getting pulled or strained and keeping me from full speed.

Note: Our injury from last week tore his ACL. No contact just twisting knee as he went for a kick.:pinch:

Last night was 30 Musle-ups on the rings for time.  Got it in 13:37, about a 5 minute PR.  I started out going for sub 10 by doing 3 on the minute, but had to tape up a blister on my left hand that cost me a little time.

Next time this roles around, I should be able to get it in well under 10:00, hopefully under 8.

All bodyweight again today. 

Five rounds, each for time of:

20 Pull-ups

30 Push-ups

40 Sit-ups

50 Squats

Rest precisely three minutes between each round.

Post time for each of five rounds to comments.

Round 1:  4:04

Round 2:  5:05

Round 3:  5:33

Round 4:  5:47

Round 5:  5:48

Should have been able to get under 4 on each round, but just didn't have it today.

Ok guys, I think it's my first time in this thread, but I'm looking for some advice.

When I graduated from high school in 2004, I was 135 lbs (I played lacrosse where being small and quick helped) ...In the beginning of my sophomore year of college I weighted 185 lbs (drank a bit too much beer :D)...I went on a pretty intense diet 2nd semester of that year and got down to around 162 at some point that next summer.

Anyways, now I hover around 170 and it is a whole lot more muscle than anything else, but I would ideally like to lose about 10 more pounds...I look pretty lean but my stomach is still pretty soft.

I exercise at least 4 days a week, and eat relatively healthy...but I just keep sticking around at 170.

What can I change?

The workouts I normally do go like this...I either:

-Lift weights (6 difference stations, 3 sets of 10 reps on each one)

or

-Do treadmill/elliptical or whatever else to around 300 calories

I also play basketball with some friends...And I have a question about that...for the experts out there, just to ballpark this, how many calories do you think I burn if I play basketball 2 on 2 for like 45 minutes?

That's how long we played today, but we normally play for at least an hour and a half of like 3 on 3.

Thanks for the help guys.

Errr....came down with an infection in an arm wound...gotta stay out of the gym until it clears up. I gotta prevent an MRSA infection.

So I'll do some trail running in the mean time.

1.5 hours jiu jitsu.  I need to get back in the gym more often.

Did well, though.  I hung in there with the drills, and we did a lot of standup work today (throws).  Scraped the skin off of 2 of the knuckles of my left hand doing the standup (gis are rough on skin), but otherwise unharmed.  I hope to get back during the week and establish my routine again.

jdu00743 (3/26/2008)
Ok guys, I think it's my first time in this thread, but I'm looking for some advice.

When I graduated from high school in 2004, I was 135 lbs (I played lacrosse where being small and quick helped) ...In the beginning of my sophomore year of college I weighted 185 lbs (drank a bit too much beer :D)...I went on a pretty intense diet 2nd semester of that year and got down to around 162 at some point that next summer.

Anyways, now I hover around 170 and it is a whole lot more muscle than anything else, but I would ideally like to lose about 10 more pounds...I look pretty lean but my stomach is still pretty soft.

I exercise at least 4 days a week, and eat relatively healthy...but I just keep sticking around at 170.

What can I change?

The workouts I normally do go like this...I either:

-Lift weights (6 difference stations, 3 sets of 10 reps on each one)

or

-Do treadmill/elliptical or whatever else to around 300 calories

I also play basketball with some friends...And I have a question about that...for the experts out there, just to ballpark this, how many calories do you think I burn if I play basketball 2 on 2 for like 45 minutes?

That's how long we played today, but we normally play for at least an hour and a half of like 3 on 3.

Thanks for the help guys.

Do some ##### push-ups.

Got back into the gym after fighting off a staph infection for 2 weeks...did arms and chest in a very pathetic/weak manner.

ki45toryu (4/1/2008)
Got back into the gym after fighting off a staph infection for 2 weeks...did arms and chest in a very pathetic/weak manner.

I feel ya, i had a sinus headache with a fever, and chills.  I could barley move for like 2 days. PLUS I'm still trying to rest the shoulder, i found some excercises for the rotator cuff and I've been doing em every night.  Seems to be hurting alot today thou:(

Ran again last night...only five miles, but it felt great.  I have endurance spinning with the psycho tonight...pretty pumped about that.

Check out my sig!

etifan (4/2/2008)
Ran again last night...only five miles, but it felt great.  I have endurance spinning with the psycho tonight...pretty pumped about that.

ONLY 5 miles?

Good grief, that's a long run for me!

tipp78 (4/2/2008)
ki45toryu (4/1/2008)

I feel ya, i had a sinus headache with a fever, and chills.  I could barley move for like 2 days. PLUS I'm still trying to rest the shoulder, i found some excercises for the rotator cuff and I've been doing em every night.  Seems to be hurting alot today thou:(

Hurting or sore? Hurting = bad....sore = OK.

Doing new exercises works little used muscles like supraspinatus, and infraspinatus.

ki45toryu (4/2/2008)
tipp78 (4/2/2008)
ki45toryu (4/1/2008)

Hurting or sore? Hurting = bad....sore = OK.

Doing new exercises works little used muscles like supraspinatus, and infraspinatus.

You know I actually think it was sorness but at first it felt like pain, and not the good pain either.  I went to the gym this morning to do legs and when I was on the calf machine I kinda leaned back to stretch my shoulders and it felt great so I did like 3 sets of these stretches holding it for 20 seconds, my shoulder felt so good afterwards I was actually able to go do some bicep curls afterwards (mind you only 15 pounds) but I'll take anything right now...So i guess that is some promising news.

tipp78 (4/2/2008)
ki45toryu (4/2/2008)
tipp78 (4/2/2008)
ki45toryu (4/1/2008)

You know I actually think it was sorness but at first it felt like pain, and not the good pain either.  I went to the gym this morning to do legs and when I was on the calf machine I kinda leaned back to stretch my shoulders and it felt great so I did like 3 sets of these stretches holding it for 20 seconds, my shoulder felt so good afterwards I was actually able to go do some bicep curls afterwards (mind you only 15 pounds) but I'll take anything right now...So i guess that is some promising news.

Great....just dont be aggressive in stretching. The old school mentality of hyper stretching muscles is no good, seriously. It triggers mechanoreceptors in the muscle, which make the muscle contract to protect itself. This is the opposite of what you want.

Mild stretching is a very good thing.

Very light treadmill workout today.  I'll do a jiu jitsu class Saturday and probably a 3 mile run on Sunday.

JDaveG (4/2/2008)
etifan (4/2/2008)
Ran again last night...only five miles, but it felt great. I have endurance spinning with the psycho tonight...pretty pumped about that.

ONLY 5 miles?

Good grief, that's a long run for me!

For reals. I get tired driving 5 miles.

Had to run a couple of sprints today.

Im a jumper in track so I dont run much.

Ran my 100m in 11.9, so Im pretty satisfied considering I havent run whatsoever since December, and Im still only a freshman.:)

Woohoo, Eliminators win 7-2. We are 1-1 now. Played some in both halves. we had a ton of subs tonite so we ran the other team in the ground. Down 10lbs since starting, so it appears to be doing what I wanted. As long as I miss the injury bug.

Still need bodies on other teams if anyone is interested. We have all levels of experience and fitness. All you need is $70 fee, ball and shin guards. They also have younger age groups 28-34, etc.

http://www.cscindoor.com/

I lost about ten pounds.....today. And I had a great ab workout.

Both of these wonderful things come from, thats right, the flu.

ki45toryu (4/5/2008)

Sucks man, i hate being sick, I musta lost 5-6 pounds from my sick run on monday

tipp78 (4/6/2008)
ki45toryu (4/5/2008)

Sucks man, i hate being sick, I musta lost 5-6 pounds from my sick run on monday

I'm sorry right back at ya. Its ironic for me to get sick right now, seeing as I have been studying for an Immunology exam I have tomorrow....