JDaveG

New fitness thread!

1,864 posts in this topic

I do mostly power lifting an free weight exercise's..I do not own a bench and really should look into getting another..

savwboy savwboy (3/12/2008)
I do mostly power lifting an free weight exercise's..I do not own a bench and really should look into getting another..

I've found that doing dips on gymnastics rings is better and safer.  Much easier on the shoulders than benching, is much tougher than a barbell bench, builds more strength, and I don't need a spotter.  Much more functional as well.  It's not often in life that you'll be lying on your back pressing a weight up over your chest with a short kinetic chain.  It's much more likely that you'll have to press yourself over something like a wall.

I have a weakness. :crazy:

No matter what what your weakness is, a good S&C program will find it and make pick at it until you want to cry.  CrossFit did just that to me tonight.

Tonight's workout:

For Time:

21 Thrusters w/ 115# Barbell

12 Rope Climbs - 15' rope

15 Thrusters w/ 115# Barbell

9 Rope Climbs - 15' rope

9 Thrusters w/ 115# Barbell

6 Rope Climbs - 15' rope

The rope climbs killed me.  Stopped me dead.  The workout degraded into a looooonnngggg session of rope climbs with some heavy thrusters thrown in.

I'm whooped.  At least I know what I need to work on to get better.

To clarify...doing rings is not any better for your shoulder.

Both exercises put a significant amount of pressure on the 4 rotator cuff muscles.

There are many advantages though to rings, obviously. There are many disadvantages to bench press as well, obviously.

1.5 hours jiu jitsu last night.  Missed most of the warmup, and I'm paying for that today with a strained calf muscle (nothing serious, just soreness).

Good class.  The instructor is teaching us some cool Eddie Bravo half-guard stuff.  Talking about having him or one of his instructors do a seminar for us.

1.5 hours jiu jitsu. Did more of the warmup -- all of the running and rolling, and most of the ab work. Felt good. Still working on the Eddie Bravo halfguard stuff. Only rolled once, but I went with a good purple belt, so it was a pretty intense roll. Got my tail kicked 7 ways from Sunday.

Did back/chest and ran a mountain trail for an hour...Thursday.

Did arms and had a 2 hour soccer practice....Friday.

Had a soccer game...Saturday.

Figure I'll do legs, deads, and abs tomorrow. Maybe swim instead of any running.

robpanama (3/8/2008)
Just finished Saturday scrimage with over 35 mens Indoor soccer in Loganville, AKA, Dead Men Walking. Lost 1 player to a dislocated kneecap already, so not how sure this was a good idea.

Still need bodies if anyone is interested. We have all levels of experience and fitness. All you need is $70 fee, ball and shin guards. They also have younger age groups 28-34, etc.

http://www.cscindoor.com/

Need to hit my knee with that juice Dave was talking about. And going to 0 calorie drinks to keep some weight off the knees.

Bueller.....Bueller?

Played again tonite 2 hours soccer subbed in and out. Got pounded in second half because they had a ton more subs. Next week spltting up teams and will play 2 round robin games a night. Another knee injury on our team tonite, we may need a doctor on the team.:pinch:

robpanama (3/15/2008)
robpanama (3/8/2008)

Bueller.....Bueller?

Played again tonite 2 hours soccer subbed in and out. Got pounded in second half because they had a ton more subs. Next week spltting up teams and will play 2 round robin games a night. Another knee injury on our team tonite, we may need a doctor on the team.:pinch:

Well if you live in AZ...

snake (3/4/2008)
etifan (2/28/2008)
snake (2/21/2008)

Why is it that the fattest, oldest old men REFUSE to wear any clothing in the sauna baths? Di they do this in the womens room? I cannot stand this practice.

LMAO...in the co-ed steam room, I know what you mean.  I'm usually the only female in there and the near-naked fat men are also CLOSE talkers.  :sick:  Husband says the men's sauna is almost always full of naked obese guys who appear to be quite proud of their bodies.

The women's sauna is the opposite: it's common to see the older and/or heavier women fully clothed. Our gym's policy is to cover up if it appears someone else is uncomfortable. We also have what I like to call the Nekkid Book Club...there are three of us who read in there around the same time, and I think we've finally established our dominance over the "prudes', lol.   

Edited to add: after a week of giant margaritas, Texas-size portions and no workouts in San Antonio, I might be joining those "fat" ranks...

atl_sportjunkie (3/17/2008)
Does anybody know of a good fitness diet to get into? I need to tone my body up, but lose some weight to help.

There's basically 2 types of dies. The "quality" diets that tell you which types of foods to eat and the "quantity" diets that tell you how much.

For the "quality" diet, look into the Paleo diet.  It's basically eating the foods that humans developed to eat over hundreds of thousands of years.  Single ingredient foods with little to no processed foods and no refined sugars.

For the "quantity" diet, I really like the Zone.  It teaches a balance of carbs/proteins/fats that produces and balanced hormonal response.  The main benefit of the Zone is reduced insulin response from eating.  The insulin spike from the average American diet leads to hyperinsulinemia, which is the root cause of obesity, hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, etc.

snake (3/17/2008)
etifan (3/17/2008)
snake (3/4/2008)
etifan (2/28/2008)
LMAO...in the co-ed steam room, I know what you mean.  I'm usually the only female in there and the near-naked fat men are also CLOSE talkers.  :sick:  Husband says the men's sauna is almost always full of naked obese guys who appear to be quite proud of their bodies.  The women's sauna is the opposite: it's common to see the older and/or heavier women fully clothed. Our gym's policy is to cover up if it appears someone else is uncomfortable. We also have what I like to call the Nekkid Book Club...there are three of us who read in there around the same time, and I think we've finally established our dominance over the "prudes', lol. Edited to add: after a week of giant margaritas, Texas-size portions and no workouts in San Antonio, I might be joining those "fat" ranks...

Etifan, I doubt you could be a fatty after 100 margs. Good job with the Prud takedown. If only I could install a clothing system with the OLD MAN club. And your husband is right. The old guys talk abt everything and their usually louder then Hells Bells. I'm in there trying to calm myself long enough to stay put for 10 minutes, which for me is hard, and these yockles keep up the dumbest conversations. I cannot sit in peace. Aw well.

I went road riding Saturday and appear likely to mnt bike later today. I hope your training's been more consistant then mine, as I am down to 2-3 times per week, Uhg.

Last week really was pathetic in terms of training for me...or maybe the correct word is "non-existent". I haven't felt well the past few days, and I even "took" scotch last night to try and kill this bug, lol.  I will be happy with 3 times this week (and elated when the cold/rain make the trails useable). 

Agree with you - I really do not understand the constant (often loud and ignorant) chatter in steam/saunas. It's supposed to be unplugged time, people.  ;)  You're right, I'm nowhere near "fatty" status (yet), but I can't believe the impact one stinking week of bad habits had on me. 

Got back into the gym Tuesday, Monday I was hungover and felt like crap.  I lifted extremely hard the previous week but I've been having alot of problems with my shoulder, I've hurt it multiple times in the last couple of years (football, lifting, surfing) and latley I've been trying to simply just rehab it by doing alot of reps and light weight...I dont think its a muscle problem because I can still jump under some good weight and really go for it, but shortly after I'm in alot of pain, my joint pops and grinds alot.  I know we dont have to many doctors in here but anyone think they know what it is?

tipp78 (3/18/2008)
Got back into the gym Tuesday, Monday I was hungover and felt like crap.  I lifted extremely hard the previous week but I've been having alot of problems with my shoulder, I've hurt it multiple times in the last couple of years (football, lifting, surfing) and latley I've been trying to simply just rehab it by doing alot of reps and light weight...I dont think its a muscle problem because I can still jump under some good weight and really go for it, but shortly after I'm in alot of pain, my joint pops and grinds alot.  I know we dont have to many doctors in here but anyone think they know what it is?

Sounds like a weakening of the rotator cuff muscles...or a partial seperation.

Unless you go to an Ortho to get it checked, all you can do is rest it. Easier said than done, but thats how it is.

Rest it for 3 weeks...and go back into weights lightly. Do legs and abs in the mean time.

ki45toryu (3/18/2008)
tipp78 (3/18/2008)

Sounds like a weakening of the rotator cuff muscles...or a partial seperation.

Unless you go to an Ortho to get it checked, all you can do is rest it. Easier said than done, but thats how it is.

Rest it for 3 weeks...and go back into weights lightly. Do legs and abs in the mean time.

Thanks for the advice man, I was actually hoping you would see this you seem to know what your talking about;)... But yea  I've never dislocated it or anything so I'm hoping that its not to big of a problem.  Surfing doesnt really bother it too much so do you think it would be ok to do that at least to keep the strength up?  Yea I have been destroying my legs latley and my squats have gone up but the increased weight on the bar puts alot of stress on my shoulders causing more discomfort so I guess I'll have to bail on that to.

Aight...lay off the squats and lungs...do some leg presses instead. Yeah they take it down a notch in terms of leg strength, but this is only temporary ya know? You'll be back in the saddle in no time.

Surfing should be fine, but theres always the odd ball fall where you strain something. One thing you could do to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles are those elastic bands. If you dont know what I'm talking about, its cool...you can do some rotator cuff muscle work with light, light dumbells.

So instead of doing the normal shoulder workout, replace it with rotator cuff muscle work...you would be working in the 2.5, and 5 pound range. No dumbell presses.

We just booked our rooms (and our day at the spa afterwards) for the Big Sur 1/2 Marathon in November!  Looks to be moderately difficult, but absolutely beautiful, too.

I can't wait!  I have finally figured out how to stay in good running shape without the need to run every day which was just too hard on my body!

Saturday (3/19/2008)
We just booked our rooms (and our day at the spa afterwards) for the Big Sur 1/2 Marathon in November!  Looks to be moderately difficult, but absolutely beautiful, too.

I can't wait!  I have finally figured out how to stay in good running shape without the need to run every day which was just too hard on my body!

I was thinking about running that.  I am running the Bay to Breakers in San Francisco in late May, and having that goal has really given me the will power to keep pushing through with my "get back in shape before law school" goal (lost just about 20lbs in the last two months).  I saw this a few weeks ago and it seemed like another good goal to work for.  Thirteen miles though, it's been a while since I could do that.  That area is gorgeous to run in though, I ran a 5k down there in high school. 

By the way, how did you stay in running shape without running all the time.  I find that my feet still cant take more than about 4 days a week of outdoor running, and the recumbent bikes don't really seem to help me get in better "running shape."

ucsbdirtybird (3/19/2008)
By the way, how did you stay in running shape without running all the time.  I find that my feet still cant take more than about 4 days a week of outdoor running, and the recumbent bikes don't really seem to help me get in better "running shape."

The key for me is training SUPER intensely in the glycolic pathway using other methods than running.  I can bust out a sub 20 5K whenever I want to, and I rarely run more than 400 and 800 meter repeats.  I'll run for 5k straight maybe once a month.

Anything that stresses the intermediate metabolic pathway will have the same or better CV training effect as running.  It can litterally be anything that stresses your ability to do it to the absolute maximum.  150 burpees for time, rowing intervals on an erg, high rep Oly lifting (my favorite), high rep KB or Dumbell snatches or swings.  All these things will jack your HR through the roof without pounding the feet/knees/hips into oblivion.

ucsbdirtybird (3/19/2008)

My week is:

Monday: Stretching & a little strength training (or a day off)

Tuesday: Run

Wednesday: Cross training (I do a workout class or swim or walk on the treadmill)

Thursday: Run & a little strength training

Friday: Off

Saturday: Cross training (same as Wednesday)

Sunday: Long run

I have been doing this for a couple of months, and feel great on my long run days.  Admittedly, I am not running real long distances right now (4-5 miles on my long runs, and 3 during the week), but I am having no knee issues.  For years, I felt like I the only way I could train successfully was to run 5-6 days a week.  So this has been a nice change of pace - the changes keep things interesting.

ki45toryu (3/19/2008)
Aight...lay off the squats and lungs...do some leg presses instead. Yeah they take it down a notch in terms of leg strength, but this is only temporary ya know? You'll be back in the saddle in no time.

Surfing should be fine, but theres always the odd ball fall where you strain something. One thing you could do to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles are those elastic bands. If you dont know what I'm talking about, its cool...you can do some rotator cuff muscle work with light, light dumbells.

So instead of doing the normal shoulder workout, replace it with rotator cuff muscle work...you would be working in the 2.5, and 5 pound range. No dumbell presses.

Yea I guess leg press will have to do for now thats alright this also gives me a better chance to get more cardio in.  I know what your talking about with those elastic bands, i think they're called therabands or something, I got them when I had physical therapy for my ankle, but unfortunatley I no longer have them.  I did surf again yesturday in some pretty gnarly conditions and I was realtivley pain free so I'll take that as a good sign.  This morning I looked up some of those rotator cuff excercises and stretches and I did a couple of them and now I'm starting to feel some pain in my shoulder so I'm going to lay off for now.  Anyways thanks for the advice man, I'm guessing if it doesnt feel much better in 2-3 weeks I should probably see a doctor.

tipp78 (3/19/2008)
ki45toryu (3/19/2008)

Yea I guess leg press will have to do for now thats alright this also gives me a better chance to get more cardio in.  I know what your talking about with those elastic bands, i think they're called therabands or something, I got them when I had physical therapy for my ankle, but unfortunatley I no longer have them.  I did surf again yesturday in some pretty gnarly conditions and I was realtivley pain free so I'll take that as a good sign.  This morning I looked up some of those rotator cuff excercises and stretches and I did a couple of them and now I'm starting to feel some pain in my shoulder so I'm going to lay off for now.  Anyways thanks for the advice man, I'm guessing if it doesnt feel much better in 2-3 weeks I should probably see a doctor.

Yeah, hopefully it is just a strain or seperated shoulder. If I could get my hands on a MRI or CT of that shoulder, I could tell you what the deal was...but you'll be having an Orthopod reading it anyways so...even if you have to get a scope, you might feel like a million bucks a few weeks down the road after you get it done. Good luck healing up, and hopefully its only a temp thing.

alfred e. neuman (3/19/2008)
The key for me is training SUPER intensely in the glycolic pathway using other methods than running.  I can bust out a sub 20 5K whenever I want to, and I rarely run more than 400 and 800 meter repeats.  I'll run for 5k straight maybe once a month.

Anything that stresses the intermediate metabolic pathway will have the same or better CV training effect as running.  It can litterally be anything that stresses your ability to do it to the absolute maximum.  150 burpees for time, rowing intervals on an erg, high rep Oly lifting (my favorite), high rep KB or Dumbell snatches or swings.  All these things will jack your HR through the roof without pounding the feet/knees/hips into oblivion.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I actually had completely forgotten how much I loved doing intervals on a rowing machine.  Maybe I should go find one this weekend, it would be nice to have that around the house.

Saturday (3/19/2008)

My week is:

Monday: Stretching & a little strength training (or a day off)

Tuesday: Run

Wednesday: Cross training (I do a workout class or swim or walk on the treadmill)

Thursday: Run & a little strength training

Friday: Off

Saturday: Cross training (same as Wednesday)

Sunday: Long run

I have been doing this for a couple of months, and feel great on my long run days.  Admittedly, I am not running real long distances right now (4-5 miles on my long runs, and 3 during the week), but I am having no knee issues.  For years, I felt like I the only way I could train successfully was to run 5-6 days a week.  So this has been a nice change of pace - the changes keep things interesting.

Thanks, I think I should probably just stick to a few days a week of actual running until I am in better shape.  It's wierd because I can do weights 6 days a week and not sweat it too much (from a pain, not soreness standpoint).  In the good old days, 6 days of running a week  wasn't anything I worried about.  Yesterday I went out for about 5.5 miles and had some nice lower back pain to carry around for the last half.  I hope that goes away as I get more used to running again and the closer to my goal weight I get.