rebuilding= no reaching

brunna777

we are rebuilding...

i find it laughable that people still want to reach for picks with our upcoming drafts...

'we need ryan/brohm/woodson' blah blah blah... what we need is the best available talent at each position

on the field. mckay needs to stand on his own two feet and put together a team he is happy with, not the coach, not

the public! he has supposedly built a championship team(succs), why isnt he following that blueprint and hiring a coach who can implement it? he drafted players that mora/gibbs wanted... look where that has gotten us!!

there are only a few positions that should be avoided with our top picks imo...

de/cb(unless dlo leaves)/te/olb/fb/wr

the rest are fair game... if a stud safety has more of a chance to be one of the best at that position, compared to an

over-rated/bit of a reach qb prospect, then we should be taking the safety(the surer bet) imo. bpa is the only way to

go when rebuilding. bpa at a position of need, even better...

imho, we should be using the draft and fa on both lines, and drafting a top tier defensive position with the 1st round.

laurinaitis or dorsey if he is still there when we pick, maybe even ellis, conner or phillips. we give the draftees extensive

playing time next year(hopefully knock up a few wins) and chase whatever qb is on the outer in cleveland in the 08/09

offseason...

quick scenario...

1: laurinaitis/dorsey/phillips

2: stewart/cherilus/boone

2: williams/hills/young/schuening

3: tevaga/pressley/richardson etc etc...

maybe target an rg/rt in fa, wouldnt mind suggs for wlb too tongue.gif , maybe take a look at lamont jordan as well

2009:

draft more ol and dl, fill more needs

get either anderson/quinn, who ever is the odd man out in fa, and whatever young talent we need at other positions...

by '09/'10 we should be contenders and see back to back to back winning seasons thereafter... there is no reason we

cant be like ne/dallas/pitt...

pit/atl- yes derek anderson can be a franchise qb!! ohmy.gif

if long or oher are on the board when we pick and we pass them up for a qb then i guarantee you we will have at least 2 full more years of crappy pass protection. there are not that many lt's in the draft so we would most likely have to wait another year, and then they would need a year to develop and get through their rookie year. we must pick up a franchise lt in the first then pick the best available qb in the second. i would prefer ainge.

i agree to an extent, but you can't wait to get a quarterback after this mess. make no mistake about it, i can almost guarantee we'll be picking a quarterback in the first two rounds, and most likely in the first round.

i agree, so im bracing myself...

i would rather wait for the odd man out at the browns... instead of having a qb ride the pine for 30m, we could have an impact player at a position of need. the biggest concern i have is, if petrino is still under .500 in his 3rd year, we are

stuck with a qb perfect for his system. mckay better do the right thing here, thats all im saying. either commit to building

his own team, or commit to petrino as hc like pitt. did with cowher...

if long or oher are on the board when we pick and we pass them up for a qb then i guarantee you we will have at least 2 full more years of crappy pass protection. there are not that many lt's in the draft so we would most likely have to wait another year, and then they would need a year to develop and get through their rookie year. we must pick up a franchise lt in the first then pick the best available qb in the second. i would prefer ainge.

ill use ugoh as a case in point here... ot in the 1st is not necessarily imperative, unless the prospect is a cant miss

jones/pace type ot. especially if we are picking one up in the top 5!!

i hear what you are saying d, but.....

....hopefully, the falcons will only draft the qb if they really believe he is the real-deal. if the qb is thought to be the real-deal by falcons, (restricted free agent-derek anderson or draft-brohm, draft-ryan) - then qb it will be.

qb is the one position that gives any team a "puncher's chance" to win the game. heck, just look at the falcons - although they were not very good the last few years - they had a chance to win every game because of mv7. the colts sucked a few years with peyton as qb, and they have been studs ever since.

yes, agree with you not to reach.....

but no, if you(falcons brass) love one of these qb's - you take them!

if mckay & scouts love brian brohm as much as we assume petrino does, then brian brohm will be the pick.

2009:

draft more ol and dl, fill more needs

get either anderson/quinn, who ever is the odd man out in fa, and whatever young talent we need at other positions...

by '09/'10 we should be contenders and see back to back to back winning seasons thereafter... there is no reason we

cant be like ne/dallas/pitt...

pit/atl- yes derek anderson can be a franchise qb!! ohmy.gif

i actually like the thought of getting derek anderson as qb, too. i just think browns will be very reluctant to let him go - heck, all they have to do is look at how the whole drew brees/phillip rivers thing played out in charger-land - you can't tell me the chargers are not "hating life" for letting brees go. if chargers still had brees - they would be up on the pats/colts level.

if i was browns, i would try and deal brady quinn because i think anderson is better than quinn ever will be. if i am falcons, i am not interested in brady quinn - he's overrated.

i agree, so im bracing myself...

i would rather wait for the odd man out at the browns... instead of having a qb ride the pine for 30m, we could have an impact player at a position of need. the biggest concern i have is, if petrino is still under .500 in his 3rd year, we are

stuck with a qb perfect for his system. mckay better do the right thing here, thats all im saying. either commit to building

his own team, or commit to petrino as hc like pitt. did with cowher...

i agree and see what you're saying, but you draft for the coach and system you have in place.

no reaching yet you say we should take laurinaitis????

you kidding me?

first of all, that guy is overrated because of his name.

second of all, he's certainly not worth more than the best ot/qb available.

the guy is overrated? he's handsdown, the best lb in college right now. he fits the type of linebacker that zimmer looks for (fast, hard-hitting) and is undoubtedly the best player on a very good osu defense.

nobody can really say for sure if a qb is a reach. if you think you can, you're in denial. predicting how a qb will adapt to and then develop in the nfl is something even nfl teams haven't mastered.

blink.gif

who said anything about whether i think going for a qb in the draft is a reach?? what im saying is, if we have the choice

between a qb with question marks, and a 'cant miss' player in a position of need; we take the cant miss player...

if we pick up a qb in the 1st and he turns out to be only mediocre at best, we are simply ######ed. there is no other word

to describe the situation we will be in...

did the lions/texans do the right thing taking harrington/carr at #1/#3? i know its hindsight, but we could be in the same situation in 3-4 years... we are better off taking the best prospects and reaching a little when the team foundations are

set.

i dont want to miss out on a sean taylor/brian urlacher/tommie harris type player because our needs are a qb, that all...

wink.gif

laugh.gif

you have taken it out of context somewhat... wink.gif

if you think matt ryan is worth a top 5 pick, then we wont agree on anything. brohm and woodson are a different story,

but if they arnt value for the pick, then i would like to take the bpa or trade down(if possible)... thats for the scouts,

mckay and petrino to determine though...

qb's are hard to determine, but i have come to the conclusion that none of this qb crop is top 5 value. you may have a different opinion to me, but i have watched all 3 and thats the thinking i have come around to anyway...

no way is kenny phillips worth a top 25 pick. in my opinion, he is the most overrated player to possibly declare this year.

to be honest, i have only see him play once this year, but judging from scouting sites, most have him inside the top 10...

some scouting sites have a write up comparing him to a hybrid ed reed/sean taylor type safety blink.gif if he turns out

to be that, he will be well worth spending a pick that high on. im not saying we should, but someone will...

to be honest, i have only see him play once this year, but judging from scouting sites, most have him inside the top 10...

some scouting sites have a write up comparing him to a hybrid ed reed/sean taylor type safety blink.gif if he turns out

to be that, he will be well worth spending a pick that high on. im not saying we should, but someone will...

they said the same thing about kyle jackson at uf and he is absolute trash

kenny phillips is nothing but name recognition

don't believe the hype on this guy. busboyisback said it perfectly, "name recognition." watching phillips play i really don't see how they could compare phillips to ed reed or sean taylor as an impact type of safety. you should watch more miami games.

he's the reigning defensive college player of the year and is on the short list of three to win it again in 07. that's my kind of overrated.

that about says it all.

i agree we shouldnt reach, and definately look at the bpa. however, it would be hard for me to pass up ryan clady (he will be in the top 10, he is in the top 15 right now but with his athleticism and impressive measurables, he will move up at the combine and his pro day) if he is there when we pick in the first, provided it is in the 6-10 range like we have been in lately. he is quickly becoming my ideal 1st round selection, especially after the way he played today on espn2. however, drafting a qb is just as big of a need. its a hard call, but i think clady will be a very very good ot in the nfl, and its hard for me to say for sure brohm, ryan or woodson will be very good/great. i think they will all be solid or good, but you dont spend top 10 picks on a qb to manage the game or be a decent player. that makes me think we should go with clady. not many people will rank clady up with long and oher, so i understand if you disagree. but he will rise up and be the final piece of the big 3 of long, oher and clady at ot, provided oher and clady declare.

that about says it all.

i agree we shouldnt reach, and definately look at the bpa. however, it would be hard for me to pass up ryan clady (he will be in the top 10, he is in the top 15 right now but with his athleticism and impressive measurables, he will move up at the combine and his pro day) if he is there when we pick in the first, provided it is in the 6-10 range like we have been in lately. he is quickly becoming my ideal 1st round selection, especially after the way he played today on espn2. however, drafting a qb is just as big of a need. its a hard call, but i think clady will be a very very good ot in the nfl, and its hard for me to say for sure brohm, ryan or woodson will be very good/great. i think they will all be solid or good, but you dont spend top 10 picks on a qb to manage the game or be a decent player. that makes me think we should go with clady. not many people will rank clady up with long and oher, so i understand if you disagree. but he will rise up and be the final piece of the big 3 of long, oher and clady at ot, provided oher and clady declare.

best case scenario would be for the best junior tackles to declare like clady, oher, loadholt, and boone. with so much depth at the position there will be first round grade tackles sliding into the second.