full round one mock

1989Fan

1 miami andre woodson, qb, kentucky

2 new england (from sf) glen dorsey, dt, lsu

3 st. louis jake long, ot, michigan

4 oakland darren mcfadden, rb, arkansas (jr)

5 new york jets - chris long, de, virginia

6 cincinnati sedric ellis, dt, usc

7 atlanta brian brohm, qb, louisville

8 new orleans malcolm jenkins, cb, ohio state (jr)

9 baltimore matt ryan, qb, boston college

10 kansas city michael oher, ole miss (jr)

11 minnesota kenny phillips, s, miami (jr)

12 carolina jame laurinitis, ilb, ohio state (jr)

13 chicago ryan clady, ot, bosie state (jr)

14 arizona lawrence jackson, de, usc

15 houston ray rice, rb, rutgers (jr)

16 buffalo justin king, cb, penn state (jr)

17 denver dan conner, ilb, penn state

18 san diego tyson jackson, de, lsu (jr)

19 philadelphia calais campbell, de, miami (jr)

20 washington quentin groves, de, auburn

21 seattle jonathan stewart, rb, oregon

22 dallas (from cle ) - sam baker, ot, usc

23 tampa bay desean jackson, wr, california (jr)

24 tennessee - adarius bowman, wr, oklahoma state

25 detroit - antoine cason, cb, arizona state

26 pittsburgh duke robinson, og, oklahoma (jr)

27 jacksonville derrick harvey, de, florida (jr)

28 new york giants mike jenkins, cb, south florida (jr)

29 san francisco (from ind) frank okam, dt, texas

30 green bay mike hart, rb, michigan

31 dallas reggie smith, s, oklahoma

32 new england (pick forfeited)

just threw this together for some reading material today. enjoy it or destroy it...whateva.

can't argue with the falcons and broncos picks, but the ones i have a problem with are miami and carolina. jon beason is their middle linebacker now. i don't know about you, but i thought he played pretty dominantly against us. beason and davis are two great young linebackers. i'm not positive which side davis plays, i think strong side, but the weakside (diggs, i think?) is the spot that could be upgraded. that said, i don't think linebacker is their weakness. i could see them going de before linebacker.

as for miami, beck was pretty bad in his first start (9 out of 22, i believe), but i don't think they're going to give up on him this early. i read reports that said they had him rated higher than quinn and russell which is why they took ginn over quinn, because they knew they'd get beck in the 2nd round. i think they could upgrade a lot of different areas with that pick, with jake long and glenn dorsey making the most sense.

can't argue with the falcons and broncos picks, but the ones i have a problem with are miami and carolina. jon beason is their middle linebacker now. i don't know about you, but i thought he played pretty dominantly against us. beason and davis are two great young linebackers. i'm not positive which side davis plays, i think strong side, but the weakside (diggs, i think?) is the spot that could be upgraded. that said, i don't think linebacker is their weakness. i could see them going de before linebacker.

as for miami, beck was pretty bad in his first start (9 out of 22, i believe), but i don't think they're going to give up on him this early. i read reports that said they had him rated higher than quinn and russell which is why they took ginn over quinn, because they knew they'd get beck in the 2nd round. i think they could upgrade a lot of different areas with that pick, with jake long and glenn dorsey making the most sense.

i dont think dorsey fits the patriots. they already have seymour and warren as their des and wilfork as their dt. they would probably take mcfadden, unless they traded down.

1 miami andre woodson, qb, kentucky

2 new england (from sf) glen dorsey, dt, lsu

3 st. louis jake long, ot, michigan

6 cincinnati sedric ellis, dt, usc

9 baltimore matt ryan, qb, boston college

11 minnesota kenny phillips, s, miami (jr)

13 chicago ryan clady, ot, bosie state (jr)

15 houston ray rice, rb, rutgers (jr)

17 denver dan conner, ilb, penn state

21 seattle jonathan stewart, rb, oregon

just threw this together for some reading material today. enjoy it or destroy it...whateva.

i dont think miami will take a qb first b/c they still have john beck who was a second rounder last year.

this is just my opinion but i feel like cincy would take a lb due to all the lb injuries. laurinaitis would be an instant leader to the defence. also there is the ohio connection.

and carolina i would think they would take a qb no brainer. but i see the big 3 are already drafted. and as somebody else said, they have beason at mlb which they just drafted so i dont really think they go after a lb first round.

those are just my opinions but overall pretty good job!

1 miami andre woodson, qb, kentucky- who knows with miami. if they dont draft for either line, they are ********...

2 new england (from sf) glen dorsey, dt, lsu- i think ne trades down... or dmc

3 st. louis jake long, ot, michigan- no way imo will st. louis take long after watching pace for a decade...

6 cincinnati sedric ellis, dt, usc- more likely to take laurinaitis/conner imo

9 baltimore matt ryan, qb, boston college- hmmm.. will they draft for the d and target a 2nd round qb??

11 minnesota kenny phillips, s, miami (jr)- not so sure on minny... they really should try for a qb

13 chicago ryan clady, ot, bosie state (jr)- i think the bears trade up for 1 of 3 qb's...

15 houston ray rice, rb, rutgers (jr)- ol or schaub will be dan morgan in 2 years...

17 denver dan conner, ilb, penn state- i wouldnt be surprised to see them draft okam...

21 seattle jonathan stewart, rb, oregon- how long is alexander sign for??

1 miami andre woodson, qb, kentucky - glen dorsey

2 new england (from sf) glen dorsey, dt, lsu - james laurinaitis

3 st. louis jake long, ot, michigan - chris long

5 new york jets - chris long, de, virginia - jake long

6 cincinnati sedric ellis, dt, usc - i actually love that pick

9 baltimore matt ryan, qb, boston college - andre woodson

hey guys thanks for the replies. dorsey seems to be the hot topic.

my view on dorsey is this. he is an absolute freak. he can play anywhere on that line imo. seymour is injury prone, and gets big bucks. warren is good though. and wilfork is very good. dorsey would provide them a guy who they could move all around the front to maximize mismatches. imo dorsey is a bellichick kind of guy.

you never know who ne will take.

other concerns are cincy - they need help on the whole front 7. they have to take value with the pick, and they could desperately use a pass rusher. there is good lb depth, and a 2nd round lb with ellis could be better value. i think they take a lb, but not so sure in the first.

car....i admit i forgot about beason playing mlb. beason is a olb by nature, they can move him back outside and play animal @ mlb. beason, davis and laurinitis would be sick for years to come. they moved beason inside due to morgans injury. and i thought car released diggs? maybe not. a de is another possibility w rucker fading out fast.

from same ol falcons:

1 miami andre woodson, qb, kentucky - glen dorsey

2 new england (from sf) glen dorsey, dt, lsu - james laurinaitis

3 st. louis jake long, ot, michigan - chris long

5 new york jets - chris long, de, virginia - jake long

6 cincinnati sedric ellis, dt, usc - i actually love that pick

9 baltimore matt ryan, qb, boston college - andre woodson

1. dts hardly ever go #1. not enough value in the position. i think they take either dmc or a qb.

2. laurinitis is a big big reach @ #2.

3. chris long is a very good de, but dont know if he would be the best fit there. could def. happen though.

5. ny took ferguson #4 two years ago, and #5 is way to high for a rt.

9. if he (woodson) is there, i agree.

1989 fan, i like the draft but my question is more along the second round. you have alot of ot going in the first, and i was wondering if we did follow that draft and pick up brohm in the first, who do you think would be available for draft in the early 2nd for ot. i have no doubt in my mind we need to go qb and lt in our first two picks, but i'm not sure what quality of lt will be available come the second round.

1989 fan, i like the draft but my question is more along the second round. you have alot of ot going in the first, and i was wondering if we did follow that draft and pick up brohm in the first, who do you think would be available for draft in the early 2nd for ot. i have no doubt in my mind we need to go qb and lt in our first two picks, but i'm not sure what quality of lt will be available come the second round.

my list of good 2nd rout ot talent would be:

1. alex boone

2. chris williams

3. tony hill

4. gosder cherilus

5. jeff otah

not to mention a couple of underclassmen not listed (phil loadholt, etc)

just a couple questions about people i expect to go in the first round:

where is kenny phillips and where is keith lewis? i havent kept tabs on either, but i expect them to be at least first round picks if not higher first round picks. i just thought that seemed strange, and considering carolina could use an olb, that might be the direction they go rather than lauranaitis, but you never know. that just prompted me to check if you had him. as for phillips, i dont know why he wouldnt declare in such a thin class, hed be the cream of the crop. just 2 observations i had.

overall, nicely done. obviously, id go in a couple different directions, but i can understand your reasoning for all of your picks. not every team in the nfl will draft for need, some will go bpa and some will make surprise picks (ted ginn???), so the miami selection is not far off base imo.

i wonder where you would have michael oher going should he declare? i think he will go high, but it is hard to decide whether to predict where people are going (for instance, like you have done in the past with derek harvey, who i expect to shoot up with his measurables also) or to draft them based off of where their stock is at right now. usually i do a combination of the two, but its always something i struggle with as im working on it. just wondering if you deal with that too.

anyways, nice job and a good read. i know it takes a long time, and in the future (if you want to clear up why you made every pick) you could just write out why youre making the pick, and it might save some confusion. i know i like doing that.

nice job 89fan, its always nice to read well thought out mocks (especially 1st round ones, which are hard as ****) like this one. smile.gif

yeah, i was wondering about dorsey there myself. i think they'd trade down and probably have 2 1st round picks later in the round.... and the rich get richer...

chris long would be a possibility for the pats--best 3-4 de in draft, and that would just strengthen their already formidable dline. another possibility, mark my word, is darren mcfadden. can you imagine a one-two punch of maroney and mcfadden? yikes!

just a couple questions about people i expect to go in the first round:

where is kenny phillips and where is keith lewis? i havent kept tabs on either, but i expect them to be at least first round picks if not higher first round picks. i just thought that seemed strange, and considering carolina could use an olb, that might be the direction they go rather than lauranaitis, but you never know. that just prompted me to check if you had him. as for phillips, i dont know why he wouldnt declare in such a thin class, hed be the cream of the crop. just 2 observations i had.

overall, nicely done. obviously, id go in a couple different directions, but i can understand your reasoning for all of your picks. not every team in the nfl will draft for need, some will go bpa and some will make surprise picks (ted ginn???), so the miami selection is not far off base imo.

i wonder where you would have michael oher going should he declare? i think he will go high, but it is hard to decide whether to predict where people are going (for instance, like you have done in the past with derek harvey, who i expect to shoot up with his measurables also) or to draft them based off of where their stock is at right now. usually i do a combination of the two, but its always something i struggle with as im working on it. just wondering if you deal with that too.

anyways, nice job and a good read. i know it takes a long time, and in the future (if you want to clear up why you made every pick) you could just write out why youre making the pick, and it might save some confusion. i know i like doing that.

nice job 89fan, its always nice to read well thought out mocks (especially 1st round ones, which are hard as ****) like this one. smile.gif

thanks for the compliments. as for your questions....

i have kenny phillips #11 to minnesota. i think he 100% declares, but there is alot of need for qbs this year and i dont know if we will have another year of top 10 safeties.

i also have oher going #10 to kc. alot of people are mocking baker to kc, but he isnt their type of ot imo. oher would be perfect for their running scheme.

i do have keith lewsi falling out of round one. he could very well go round one, but lbs fall sometimes. look at poz. he was considered top 15 by many. with lewis being a small, speedy lb i wonder if he is a cover 2 type.

car actually has a olb (beason) playing mlb right now. he moved inside when they lost morgan. i can see them moving him back outside where his athletisism is better used.

when i mock i use their current stock as a starting point. i look into reviews and opinons of 4 or 5 draft sights. then i look at who i think will rise and fall, and i add that in hence the oher, justin king, tyson jackson & jon stewart picks.

again, thanks for the kind words, i really appreciate them. smile.gif

chris long would be a possibility for the pats--best 3-4 de in draft, and that would just strengthen their already formidable dline. another possibility, mark my word, is darren mcfadden. can you imagine a one-two punch of maroney and mcfadden? yikes!

i agree on both players. i have this feeling they could go mcfadden, but i am trying not to admit it yet. i think they would take dorsey before chris long, even though long is also very good. i just think they could move dorsey around on the line and maximize his freakness and cause havoc with him.