lousiville rant

hytrewqasdfg

for those downgrading brohm because they don't think he has played as well this year as last, this is an interesting read. the writer basicly says the offensive coaching has been inexpt. given the offensive talent lousiville has, they should be better, but the coaches have blown it.

start the post-mortem on cardinals

eric crawford

» view previous columns

tampa, fla. forgive me if i skip the postgame analysis of the university of louisville's 55-17 loss to south florida last night and proceed straight to the postseason rehash.

it's a little like beating the christmas rush, except that there are no presents.

i've heard all the explanations for why the cardinals are sitting at 5-6 and will be home for the bowl holidays for the first time in a decade. and i don't necessarily disagree with them:

injuries. goodness knows, u of l has had its share and then some. a handful of key players lost for the season, a couple for their careers. the running back corps nearly wiped out. the defense decimated.

bad luck. yep, there has been some. freak injuries. bad calls.

the defense. you bet. it gave up 230 rushing yards last night. it was the lead contributing factor in early losses to kentucky, syracuse and utah. i've seen better tackling by moms during holiday sales at toys 'r us.

the coaching transition, and players not responding to the new staff. there's no denying this has happened in some cases.

the former coach leaving the cupboard bare. if you say so. it's kind of hard to lay four big east conference losses on the shoulders of a coach who lost just three big east games in two years, but suit yourself.

any others? overblown expectations? tougher schedule? improved big east? fill in your own here.

i'll give you all of them, even the ones i don't buy completely.

i'll tell you what i won't give you: that an offense with quarterback brian brohm, wide receiver harry douglas and the linemen and tight ends u of l has should be as ineffective as this one has been over the past month.

last night the cardinals' defense was worse than bad. but everybody -- south florida included -- knew that was probably going to be the case. the cards were banged up, and their best cover corner, rod council, was serving a one-game suspension.

so it followed that the offense and special teams would need to rise up.

they played as badly as the defense.

until the final couple of garbage-time drives, u of l's offense consisted of brohm to douglas. you'd expect that of a guy playing with the cards on his playstation at home, but not from the actual team. that big laminated card that coach steve kragthorpe holds? i wondered at times if it wasn't a big waffle house menu, because the cards looked scattered, smothered and covered for most of the night.

u of l fumbled away the opening kickoff for a south florida touchdown. how much more indication is needed of the team's mental preparation? u of l has been outscored 110-94 in the first quarter this season. take away the murray state and middle tennessee state games, and the cards have averaged just 4.2 points in the first quarter.

you know where this is going. regardless of mitigating circumstances, no coaching staff can emerge from a season like this without facing some harsh music.

losing is one thing. a potential losing season is yet another. the program's most lopsided loss in 20 years is another thing still.

last night the fire wasn't there. last night was a point lower than the team had reached this season, and perhaps as low as any seen around here since the ron cooper era -- and that's not taking anything away from an outstanding south florida team.

yes, programs have down years. yes, this staff was dealt some difficult cards. but i don't think even the coaches believe this team should look as bad as it looked last night.

the last time u of l's football team played in this state, it left with a trophy full of oranges. i can't blame a lot of fans now who feel they've been handed a lemon.

reach eric crawford at (502) 582-4372 or ecrawford@courier-journal.com. comment on this column, and read his blog and previous columns, at www.courier-journal.com/crawford.

until the final couple of garbage-time drives, u of l's offense consisted of brohm to douglas. you'd expect that of a guy playing with the cards on his playstation at home, but not from the actual team. that big laminated card that coach steve kragthorpe holds? i wondered at times if it wasn't a big waffle house menu, because the cards looked scattered, smothered and covered for most of the night.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

there's a lot of truth to this, but i was thinking the other night about what would happen if we took tebow. that wouldn't be something i would advocate, but i've been doing a lot of amateur scouting this year and watching everything i can, college related.

i came to the conclusion that if i was drafting a qb for my team in round 1, he would be a qb who wins no matter what most of the time. if you watch enough college ball, you'll notice that in almost every game there are a couple of players who just totally stand out above all the rest. in many games, that's the qb. i haven't seen that in brohm, although i haven't watched him for a full 3 games this year.

i'm just saying, when it boils down to it, i'd take a guy who seems to overcome the odds and win even when his team plays poorly and mistakes are made. franchise type players rise above all that rabble and should have the ability to "lead" their team to victories more often than not.

if brohm would have risen to the ocassion and pulled his team through some of those 7 point losses, i might would be okay with him, but he crumbles along with all the other mid-tier players. of course, if my team picks him, i'll probably have to buy the jersey and hug him as much as the next falcon fan, but i'm praying mckay doesn't fall for the hype.

celtik

how much do you actually follow college football dude...?

tebow is a true sophomore. he is not eligible for the draft.

and brohm is by far the best player at louisville, so i don't know where you're going with that. he's the only reason they have even won 5 games this year. at least 2 of their losses are completely on the wideouts dropping the ball repeatedly late in the 4th quarter. hunter cantwell will not be a big dropoff from brohm, but they need to do a lot of work to get back to how they were when petrino was there.

there's a lot of truth to this, but i was thinking the other night about what would happen if we took tebow. that wouldn't be something i would advocate, but i've been doing a lot of amateur scouting this year and watching everything i can, college related.

i came to the conclusion that if i was drafting a qb for my team in round 1, he would be a qb who wins no matter what most of the time. if you watch enough college ball, you'll notice that in almost every game there are a couple of players who just totally stand out above all the rest. in many games, that's the qb. i haven't seen that in brohm, although i haven't watched him for a full 3 games this year.

i'm just saying, when it boils down to it, i'd take a guy who seems to overcome the odds and win even when his team plays poorly and mistakes are made. franchise type players rise above all that rabble and should have the ability to "lead" their team to victories more often than not.

if brohm would have risen to the ocassion and pulled his team through some of those 7 point losses, i might would be okay with him, but he crumbles along with all the other mid-tier players. of course, if my team picks him, i'll probably have to buy the jersey and hug him as much as the next falcon fan, but i'm praying mckay doesn't fall for the hype.

celtik

dude, do you even watch cfb? blink.gif

one, tebow is a sophomore, true sophomore, he's not eligible for the draft.

two, 99% of all college qb's stay all 4 years, so he won't come out until after his senior season in '09.

and third, tebow runs a spread option, an offense that's not conducive to producing successful nfl qb's. it's a one-read offense, and if that read ain't open, run. plus, he gets all o fhis audibles from the sidelines, which shows he hasn't learned or doesn't know how to read defenses pre-snap.

tebow will be a fb or a te in the nfl.