2nd mock draft

JDB2688

firstly, i'm going to compare stats of the big 3 quarterbacks.

brian brohm: 3787 passing yards, 29 tds, 12 ints, 19 sacks, 65.6%

andre woodson: 2921 passing yards, 30 tds, 8 ints, 29 sacks, 63.1%

matt ryan: 3584 passing yards, 25 tds, 14 ints, 17 sacks, 60%

i'm not going to begin to claim i've seen all of these guys play all of their games, and in fact, i've only seen brohm in a live game about 2 times. i have seen matt ryan play the most out of these 3 guys and i can honestly say i feel he is overrated. he's supposed to be the "gunslinger" type, but i don't see it. there's a couple of interesting things about woodson and brohm. one, woodson is sacked a lot more. that leads me to believe that either he has a bad offensive line or he holds on to the ball too long sometimes. probably a combination of both. the other thing is that woodson has more tds and less ints in a tougher conference with fewer attempts. he's very consistent at not turning the ball over, he only had 7 ints the year before. in my opinion, that's the difference maker...

1st round pick: andre woodson, qb, kentucky

i am right behind every single one of you wanting to improve the offensive line. it is the absolute biggest weakness on this team and it should be the primary focus this offseason. however, the front office and the coaching staff are going to need a guy they can put at the front and face of the franchise after this horrible season and this horrible situation with vick. this is a business. they have to sell tickets. they have to get fans in the dome. they have to sell merchandise and give the fans a reason to watch. i think the dropoff from woodson and brohm to the second tier guys is much bigger than the dropoff between the offensive tackles. brian brohm seems to make the most sense in this spot, but i feel that woodson has the higher upside, a flawless throwing motion, he's extremely intelligent, and he is a leader. that last part is the exact reason we need him. this is a semi-joke, but at least we won't have to put up with any racial comments or arguments. he's mixed. no one has anything to say.

2nd round pick: chris williams, ot, vanderbilt

offensive line help is the absolute most important priority of this team, as i stated before. blalock is the only one who deserves to stay here next year, even though he's played poorly along with the rest of them. at least he has the rookie excuse, none of the other guys have that. i thought foster looked decent, but i **** sure don't see him as the dominant left tackle we need. that's why we bring in chris williams. he's listed at 6'6" 320, which is great size and a great fit for our scheme. i will say that i haven't seen him play, but i've read good things about him. we need someone to come in and lock down the left tackle spot and he's the guy to do it. williams and an experienced blalock next season is going to greatly enhance our entire offense next year.

2nd round pick: j leman, mlb, illinois

alright, we've helped out the offense so far in the draft with a (hopefully) franchise quarterback and a (hopefully, again) franchise offensive tackle. that takes us back to the defense. there's a few things i see happening next year on defense. i think crocker moves over to strong safety and i think jimmy williams takes over free safety. crocker has played much better in this scheme and i honestly haven't noticed him give up any plays this season. that said, i think he's still better suited for strong safety. he's a great tackler and he will be up in the box a lot helping out against the run. another thing i see happening is keith brooking moves back to wlb and holds off (for now) stephen nicholas. nicholas is the future, however. i think we let demorrio go in free agency. then we bring in j leman, a great linebacker from illinois. leman and mendenhall are two of the biggest reasons illinois is doing well this year. he flies all over the field and was a big help in the game at ohio state. we need a true middle linebacker on this team and i think when trey lewis comes back next year, we're going to have a great defense. hopefully jamaal learns a lot this offseason and starts lighting it up. that's a great core on defense: lewis, anderson, boley, nicholas, leman, hall, houston, and williams. that's some serious young talent.

3rd round pick: tashard choice, rb, georgia tech

there are a couple reasons i think tashard falls to the 3rd round. one, he's not going to run a blazing 40 time. scouts put a lot of stock into it which is going to hurt him. another thing is his injuries. he's been injured this season a couple times and he's missed some games because of it. he carries the load for tech and with a more pass oriented offense, i don't think he'll have to for us. he also has some guy named jerious norwood to spell him, if the coaching staff ever decides to let him on the field. choice is a great downhill runner, which is what we need in this offense. he's not the biggest guy, but outside of mendenhall and stewart, there's not a whole lot of size in this draft. that said, i love the previous two guys, we just don't have the luxury of taking them. another reason to take choice? watch this. leadership. we seriously lack it, especially on offense. our leaders are on defense, we need guys to fire up the offense. woodson and choice are the guys to do it. andre woodson, tashard choice, and an emerging roddy white is a great core on offense.

4th round pick: king dunlap, ot, auburn

this is a pick based on potential. he has great potential, but apparently he's got questionable work ethic. with the right motivation, i think he could be an excellent right tackle. todd weiner is our best offensive lineman right now, so he doesn't have to be immediately replaced. hopefully the coaching staff can motivate dunlap like they've motivated roddy. he's also got great size for our scheme, so hopefully we can have blalock, williams, and dunlap as 3/5 of our future starting offensive line. i feel that we absolutely have to take two offensive linemen in this draft. tashard can do great running behind great run blockers and ovie mughelli. we also need to protect our investment in andre woodson and give him the best possible chance to succeed. i think we also need to find help in free agency, whoever that might be.

i think we get a compensatory pick for patrick kerney, he has 7.5 sacks this season including 3 this past weekend.

4th round pick: adamm oliver, de, georgia tech

i'm not a tech fan. i'll just say that first and foremost. although i think chauncey davis is pretty good depth and is stout against the run, we could do better. oliver's best asset is his motor. he has a patrick kerney style motor, which is what jamaal anderson lacks. our defense is really close to being great and i think we need depth on the line and a great middle linebacker to point us in that direction. i think jamaal anderson also has a lot to do with our defense becoming elite. he has to start playing like the 8th overall choice in order for us to do it.

5th round pick: bo ruud, olb, nebraska

6th round pick: eddie royal, wr/kr, virginia tech

7th round pick: art carmody, k, louisville

i'm too tired at the moment to right out descriptions for the rest of these guys, but feel free to criticize any of my picks. i want offensive line help the most, but quarterback just feels right in the first.

the thing is, if we go qb in the 1st, it will almost certainly be brohm. why would they go with a guy who has to learn the system vs a guy who already knows it? personally, i like woodson the best, but brohm makes the most sense for us.

that doesn't mean woodson can't learn it. it is a positive that brohm doesn't have a learning curve, but like i said, woodson is smart. there's no reason he can't learn this system and succeed in it. i like woodson better as a quarterback, it's as simple as that. i like how he's played tougher competition, his leadership ability, and his ability to keep the ball out of the defense's hands. he's got more potential than brohm, in my opinion.

woodson>>>>>>>>brohm

taking a qb in the first regardless is a mistake

o-line is the #1 problem with our team

we get a top 5, trade down to get 2 firsts & take a o-line & j stewart or an ot

dennis dixon will be there for us in the 2nd or 3rd & has most everything the top 3 qbs have for about 1/4 of the price + some mobility (which we need with the rebuilding of our line)

our o-line need>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anything else

1) saying woodson has "a flawless throwing motion" is funny... he's got akward mechanics where he holds the ball with his hand on top when he's pulling it back. it can lead to some inaccurate passes, and it will probably need to be worked on at the nfl level.

this should be a huge red flag to any falcons' fan that watched leftwich play. when leftwich was drafted, people said his throwing motion was odd, but they felt it could be corrected with nfl level coaching. you see how that worked out.

i'm not saying woodson's motion can't be worked out (and not saying they can either), but it is probably wise to err on the side of caution and decide if you could live with his current motion. if so, he's you're man. if not, look elsewhere.

the thing is, if we go qb in the 1st, it will almost certainly be brohm. why would they go with a guy who has to learn the system vs a guy who already knows it? personally, i like woodson the best, but brohm makes the most sense for us.

i can understand the position of drafting brohm over woodson, however, i don't agree. i think a prior understanding of the playbook only gives a qb a leg up if he's the day 1 starter. it's not a necessity, particularly with petrino, who has shown a willingness to tailor the offense to the qb. you've got to believe, particularly with 2 guys, in harrington and leftwich, capable of manning the ship while the understudy learns, by about this time of year, a rookie qb should be ready to get in. what the titans did with vince young, getting him a series here and there early in the season, is the model to follow.

if you pick a qb, largely based on his prior knowledge of the playbook, you're doing your team a disservice by not picking the better qb. the caveat to this is if you don't feel woodson is smart enough, which, by all accounts, intelligence isn't an issue for woodson.

i like the mock overall, but i've got some concerns:

1) saying woodson has "a flawless throwing motion" is funny... he's got akward mechanics where he holds the ball with his hand on top when he's pulling it back. it can lead to some inaccurate passes, and it will probably need to be worked on at the nfl level.

i wont disagree with the assessment that woodson needs more coaching, however, his release doesn't affect his accuracy. as the case is with most strong armed qb's, they understride, not completely stepping into the throw, relying on their arm strength to get the ball out. understriding tends to lead to high throws which is what you'll see from woodson.

this should be a huge red flag to any falcons' fan that watched leftwich play. when leftwich was drafted, people said his throwing motion was odd, but they felt it could be corrected with nfl level coaching. you see how that worked out.

i'm not saying woodson's motion can't be worked out (and not saying they can either), but it is probably wise to err on the side of caution and decide if you could live with his current motion. if so, he's you're man. if not, look elsewhere.

the problem with leftwich's motion is he brings the ball low and in terms of time, it's slow. woodson's release isn't slow, but the ball is exposed as the nose of the ball is below his shoulder during the recoil.

night and day as far as leftwich and woodson are concerned.

the problem with leftwich's motion is he brings the ball low and in terms of time, it's slow. woodson's release isn't slow, but the ball is exposed as the nose of the ball is below his shoulder during the recoil.

night and day as far as leftwich and woodson are concerned.

ok, you can live with woodson's motion as it currently is. that's fine with me.

my point was, don't say we can draft a guy and fix his motion.

firstly, i'm going to compare stats of the big 3 quarterbacks.

brian brohm: 3787 passing yards, 29 tds, 12 ints, 19 sacks, 65.6%

andre woodson: 2921 passing yards, 30 tds, 8 ints, 29 sacks, 63.1%

matt ryan: 3584 passing yards, 25 tds, 14 ints, 17 sacks, 60%

i'm not going to begin to claim i've seen all of these guys play all of their games, and in fact, i've only seen brohm in a live game about 2 times. i have seen matt ryan play the most out of these 3 guys and i can honestly say i feel he is overrated. he's supposed to be the "gunslinger" type, but i don't see it. there's a couple of interesting things about woodson and brohm. one, woodson is sacked a lot more. that leads me to believe that either he has a bad offensive line or he holds on to the ball too long sometimes. probably a combination of both. the other thing is that woodson has more tds and less ints in a tougher conference with fewer attempts. he's very consistent at not turning the ball over, he only had 7 ints the year before. in my opinion, that's the difference maker...

1st round pick: andre woodson, qb, kentucky

i am right behind every single one of you wanting to improve the offensive line. it is the absolute biggest weakness on this team and it should be the primary focus this offseason. however, the front office and the coaching staff are going to need a guy they can put at the front and face of the franchise after this horrible season and this horrible situation with vick. this is a business. they have to sell tickets. they have to get fans in the dome. they have to sell merchandise and give the fans a reason to watch. i think the dropoff from woodson and brohm to the second tier guys is much bigger than the dropoff between the offensive tackles. brian brohm seems to make the most sense in this spot, but i feel that woodson has the higher upside, a flawless throwing motion, he's extremely intelligent, and he is a leader. that last part is the exact reason we need him. this is a semi-joke, but at least we won't have to put up with any racial comments or arguments. he's mixed. no one has anything to say.

2nd round pick: chris williams, ot, vanderbilt

offensive line help is the absolute most important priority of this team, as i stated before. blalock is the only one who deserves to stay here next year, even though he's played poorly along with the rest of them. at least he has the rookie excuse, none of the other guys have that. i thought foster looked decent, but i **** sure don't see him as the dominant left tackle we need. that's why we bring in chris williams. he's listed at 6'6" 320, which is great size and a great fit for our scheme. i will say that i haven't seen him play, but i've read good things about him. we need someone to come in and lock down the left tackle spot and he's the guy to do it. williams and an experienced blalock next season is going to greatly enhance our entire offense next year.

2nd round pick: j leman, mlb, illinois

alright, we've helped out the offense so far in the draft with a (hopefully) franchise quarterback and a (hopefully, again) franchise offensive tackle. that takes us back to the defense. there's a few things i see happening next year on defense. i think crocker moves over to strong safety and i think jimmy williams takes over free safety. crocker has played much better in this scheme and i honestly haven't noticed him give up any plays this season. that said, i think he's still better suited for strong safety. he's a great tackler and he will be up in the box a lot helping out against the run. another thing i see happening is keith brooking moves back to wlb and holds off (for now) stephen nicholas. nicholas is the future, however. i think we let demorrio go in free agency. then we bring in j leman, a great linebacker from illinois. leman and mendenhall are two of the biggest reasons illinois is doing well this year. he flies all over the field and was a big help in the game at ohio state. we need a true middle linebacker on this team and i think when trey lewis comes back next year, we're going to have a great defense. hopefully jamaal learns a lot this offseason and starts lighting it up. that's a great core on defense: lewis, anderson, boley, nicholas, leman, hall, houston, and williams. that's some serious young talent.

3rd round pick: tashard choice, rb, georgia tech

there are a couple reasons i think tashard falls to the 3rd round. one, he's not going to run a blazing 40 time. scouts put a lot of stock into it which is going to hurt him. another thing is his injuries. he's been injured this season a couple times and he's missed some games because of it. he carries the load for tech and with a more pass oriented offense, i don't think he'll have to for us. he also has some guy named jerious norwood to spell him, if the coaching staff ever decides to let him on the field. choice is a great downhill runner, which is what we need in this offense. he's not the biggest guy, but outside of mendenhall and stewart, there's not a whole lot of size in this draft. that said, i love the previous two guys, we just don't have the luxury of taking them. another reason to take choice? watch this. leadership. we seriously lack it, especially on offense. our leaders are on defense, we need guys to fire up the offense. woodson and choice are the guys to do it. andre woodson, tashard choice, and an emerging roddy white is a great core on offense.

4th round pick: king dunlap, ot, auburn

this is a pick based on potential. he has great potential, but apparently he's got questionable work ethic. with the right motivation, i think he could be an excellent right tackle. todd weiner is our best offensive lineman right now, so he doesn't have to be immediately replaced. hopefully the coaching staff can motivate dunlap like they've motivated roddy. he's also got great size for our scheme, so hopefully we can have blalock, williams, and dunlap as 3/5 of our future starting offensive line. i feel that we absolutely have to take two offensive linemen in this draft. tashard can do great running behind great run blockers and ovie mughelli. we also need to protect our investment in andre woodson and give him the best possible chance to succeed. i think we also need to find help in free agency, whoever that might be.

i think we get a compensatory pick for patrick kerney, he has 7.5 sacks this season including 3 this past weekend.

4th round pick: adamm oliver, de, georgia tech

i'm not a tech fan. i'll just say that first and foremost. although i think chauncey davis is pretty good depth and is stout against the run, we could do better. oliver's best asset is his motor. he has a patrick kerney style motor, which is what jamaal anderson lacks. our defense is really close to being great and i think we need depth on the line and a great middle linebacker to point us in that direction. i think jamaal anderson also has a lot to do with our defense becoming elite. he has to start playing like the 8th overall choice in order for us to do it.

5th round pick: bo ruud, olb, nebraska

6th round pick: eddie royal, wr/kr, virginia tech

7th round pick: art carmody, k, louisville

i'm too tired at the moment to right out descriptions for the rest

woodson>>>>>>>>brohm

taking a qb in the first regardless is a mistake

o-line is the #1 problem with our team

we get a top 5, trade down to get 2 firsts & take a o-line & j stewart or an ot

dennis dixon will be there for us in the 2nd or 3rd & has most everything the top 3 qbs have for about 1/4 of the price + some mobility (which we need with the rebuilding of our line)

our o-line need>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anything else

just say "no" to spread option qb's.

that doesn't mean woodson can't learn it. it is a positive that brohm doesn't have a learning curve, but like i said, woodson is smart. there's no reason he can't learn this system and succeed in it. i like woodson better as a quarterback, it's as simple as that. i like how he's played tougher competition, his leadership ability, and his ability to keep the ball out of the defense's hands. he's got more potential than brohm, in my opinion.

i have to disagree, i think brohm will be the better qb

if woodson is who they choose i will be fine with it.

i like the mock overall, but i've got some concerns:

1) saying woodson has "a flawless throwing motion" is funny... he's got akward mechanics where he holds the ball with his hand on top when he's pulling it back. it can lead to some inaccurate passes, and it will probably need to be worked on at the nfl level. i personally like brohm better, but woodson's a pretty good qb. i think he gets sacked more than brohm mostly because he's so slow-footed, so these ol picks better pan out to be very good wink.gif

2) chris williams seems ok. i'd rather take otah or loadholt if they're there, but who knows?

3) i'm not sure about leman. nfldraftscout has him going much later than this, but other sites have him graded at 2nd round. my biggest concern is that he's having a worse year than last year, any idea why?

4) not so sure about choice either... he's about the same size as norwood... i'd rather wait till the 4th and take matt forte (or take forte here if we think he'll be gone)

5) don't want dunlap. i'd rather take someone with less talent and more want-to rather than the other way around.

6) oliver isn't projected to go this early, from what i've seen. he looks more like a 6th round guy from what the sites say.

maybe "flawless" wasn't the right word. i should've said "mechanical" or "consistent". he has the same exact motion on every single throw and so far, it's helped him greatly. from what i have personally seen, he's very accurate and that's why i went with flawless. i don't think it's going to be that big of a deal in the pros, but i could be wrong. i'm not sure you could say leman is having a down year. i watched him against northwestern and he was shedding two blocks at a time, could run with every back out of the backfield, and just seemed to know where the ball was. he had something like 19 tackles against ohio state. he's consistently in the double digit tackles, which makes him seem like a great prospect to me. i would rather have laurinaitis, but we won't be in a position to take him.

leman's numbers are down from last year, that's my point.

well then i'm not sure, i honestly knew nothing about him last year. if he was even better last year than this year, then he would've had to been ridiculously good. all i can talk about is what i see and i see a guy i want in the middle of our defense.

leman's numbers are down from last year, that's my point.

leman's the focal point of that defense and has been schemed against all season yet he's still making big plays. i worry about his speed/size combo, but he's a leader of men. i'd go to war with him any day as the anchor of my defense. he's going to make a **** of a broadcaster down the road, too.

my statement was based on you having no understanding of one of the most common offenses in football

you dont understand that so i doubt you know much of anything else technical about the sport

try me, you might be surprised.

i do know that qb's who run the spread option in college don't translate to the nfl and that that offesne is killing the qb feed into the nfl.

chris redman knows petrino system but he is third string. omobe okoye played for louisville and petrino but the falcons drafted jamaal anderson. needless to say drafting brian brohm would be a gargantuan disaster. the first pick should be the best offensive lineman they can get.

why are the two of the best quarterbacks in the league a sixth round pic (tom brady) and a free agent that was never drafted (tony romo)? drafting a quarterback is pointless if no protection is provided. get a great left tackle and guard and you can still get a quarterback, colt brennan, who would be a great prosepect for atlanta.

colt brennan. blink.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

maybe "flawless" wasn't the right word. i should've said "mechanical" or "consistent". he has the same exact motion on every single throw and so far, it's helped him greatly. from what i have personally seen, he's very accurate and that's why i went with flawless. i don't think it's going to be that big of a deal in the pros, but i could be wrong. i'm not sure you could say leman is having a down year. i watched him against northwestern and he was shedding two blocks at a time, could run with every back out of the backfield, and just seemed to know where the ball was. he had something like 19 tackles against ohio state. he's consistently in the double digit tackles, which makes him seem like a great prospect to me. i would rather have laurinaitis, but we won't be in a position to take him.

wanna make a bet?

we'll certainly be in position to take him, whether we do or not is another story... i have a feeling we take a qb and ot

in the 2nd(being the 2 positions are deep) and mckay targets either dorsey or laurinaitis as a finishing piece for an up

and coming defense he has built over the last few years...

if we pick in the top 5, ill personally be disappointed if any of the 'top' 3 qb's are taken... if the qb we take busts, we are ######ed for the next decade... i want mckay to draft the best at a certain position, not 'just' good...

wanna make a bet?

we'll certainly be in position to take him, whether we do or not is another story... i have a feeling we take a qb and ot

in the 2nd(being the 2 positions are deep) and mckay targets either dorsey or laurinaitis as a finishing piece for an up

and coming defense he has built over the last few years...

if we pick in the top 5, ill personally be disappointed if any of the 'top' 3 qb's are taken... if the qb we take busts, we are ######ed for the next decade... i want mckay to draft the best at a certain position, not 'just' good...

if mckay drafts mlb first over qb and ol, i want him fired.

qb and ol are the most pressing needs.