1st round mock draft + falcons draft

Mr. Offseason

obviously mock drafts are hard to do this early in the year, much less 1st round mocks. i thought i would give it a shot. now, this is certainly a work in progress and i don't expect many of you to like it, agree with it or be impressed by it. but i put a good amount of time into it and i thought that with the effort i put into it it deserved to be posted. it is... original, at least by the standards in this forum, but i didn't want to just write up everything that everyone else was already saying, and i had an opportunity to take it in a new direction and i took it. here goes nothing. tongue.gif

pick: 1 miami 0-9 .000 .542- glen dorsey, dt, lsu- jake long or mcfadden could both go here, and i wouldn't be surprised by either of those selections. however, dorsey is my #1 senior prospect in this draft, and for good reason. miami's defensive line and defense overall is quite bad, and they are terrible against the run. i believe in building from the inside out, and if the dolphins are going to win they are going to have to. you have to walk before you can run and you can't win in this league (at least not consistently) if you can't stop the run. dorsey would bring a very strong run stopping presence to the interior defensive line, along with a knack for getting to the quarterback and disrupting plays in the backfield, not to mention some sorely needed youth.

alternative pick(s)- jake long (ot), darren mcfadden (rb).

pick: 2 st. louis 1-8 .111 .507- jake long, ot, michigan- jake long is definately the best ot prospect in this draft, there is no debating that. however, there are legitimate concerns about his ability to play lt in the nfl. with his skill set and overall domineering presence in the trenches, i have absolutely no doubt that he would be a wonderful rt in the nfl. he is such a powerful road grader in the running game, but also very good at pass protecting against pass rushers that rely more on strength than on speed. against le's, he would see more of those players, and would handle them well in my opinion. st. louis needs help along the offensive line, and they need depth. alex barron might be their lt of the future (i haven't looked into it) or maybe they will try long out there, however, they need help along the offensive front and long is the guy you should come to for that this early.

alternative picks(s)- calais campbell (de).

pick: 3 ny jets 1-8 .111 .556- darren mcfadden, rb, arkansas- in my opinion, the jets could go either way with this pick. they could get mcfadden or they could get chris long. as it stands right now, i would probably get mcfadden if i was them. thomas jones is 30 (i believe), and leon washington is a change of pace back, nothing more. they need someone who can carry 20 times a game, and that is not washington, nor will that be thomas jones in the future. mcfadden gives them that, and as one of the best rb prospects in years, he has good value this high in the draft.

alternative pick(s)- chris long (de).

pick: 4 san francisco 2-7 .222 .444- (ne from sf)- chris long, de, virgina- the patriots could go with lauranaitis here too, but considering they are getting a little old at de in their 3-4, they benefit from adding the best de prospect in this draft (imo, at least for the 3-4) in chris long. he definately has the genes for it, and he gives them flexibility along the defensive front, and this way they don't have to resign a de for a high price, which is just how they like to operate.

alternative pick(s)- james lauranaitis (ilb).

pick: 5 oakland 2-7 .222 .521- calais campbell, de, miami- the raiders could use help along the defensive front, especially at le. campbell would make a pretty good de tandem with burgess at re, who has not been as effective now that teams key against him. campbell would help add youth and explosiveness to the defensive line, along with a knack for rushing the passer and making plays in the backfield, both of which are sorely needed on the defensive line.

pick: 6 cincinnati 3-6 .333 .479- james lauranaitis, ilb, ohio state- the bengals have had bad luck at lb lately, given ahmad brooks and a certain ilb having trouble with the law. they could go with kenny phillips here, but i think having an impact ilb, especially one that has a squeaky clean record (as far as i know, and he's from minnesota) and a good public image, is more important than upgrading their secondary. having a strong player and leader at ilb is very important, and in a weak saftey class they would benefit from waiting to upgrade their secondary when the value and depth in the class is better.

alternative pick(s)- kenny phillips (s).

pick: 7 atlanta 3-6 .333 .486- michael oher, ot, ole miss- here is the falcons pick, the one you've all been waiting for, or you cheated and read this one first. this might be a bit of a controversial selection given what i've been reading and not necessarily been responding too lately, but i still like the pick. why you ask? because he is (in my opinion) the best lt prospect in this draft. he has all the physical measurables you could like, and if you've read some of the book about him you can't help but want to draft him. he is such an intriguing prospect, but he is fairly raw. i think that is why some grade him lower 1st or even 2nd round. he is raw, and not ready to play right now. he has sky high potential, and that means two things: 1. nervousness about him not working out and 2. he gets lots of attention and could get overanalyzed. i'm not saying that has happened yet, but for god sakes he's already had a book written on him! the attention is coming if it hasn't already starting coming. but, i will say this: i would not have an issue drafting him this high, even right now. if he declares i expect him to have a good combine and a good pro day, and that will push his stock up to this area if he doesn't play himself to this area anyways. consider our lt hole filled, and that is all i care.

alternative pick(s)- brian brohm (qb), andre' woodson (qb).

pick: 8 minnesota 3-6 .333 .549- desean jackson, wr, california- this is a harder pick than i thought it would be, but i chose to go in this direction for a couple of reasons. the first one is, the vikings wr's are horrible with the exception of sidney rice. between bobby wade having hands problems and troy williamson not working out well at all (and this is his 3rd year!), they need help here. jackson is the big play guy of this draft, and might be a better prospect than ginn was last year. he is a dynamic wr and kr, and because he fills both of those needs, i think this would be a good pick. qb is certainly an option here, but given the depth in the qb class this year i think the vikings could afford to fill a big void at wr and kr with this selection and choose a qb in the 2nd or 3rd to develop behind tarvaris and whoever else they decide to keep on the roster, because i don't think they are done with the tj experiment yet.

alternative pick(s)- matt ryan (qb).

pick: 9 arizona 4-5 .444 .431- derek harvey, de/olb, florida- the cardinals need olb's who can rush the passer in the 3-4 defense, and harvey vits that bill well. he is a very good speed rusher and would give the cardinals a threat off the edge. this was one of the easier picks of this mock so far, and because this makes quite a bit of sense, provided harvey makes it up this high (which i think he definately can once he proves himself in workouts) i don't think there is an

oh btw, good mock draft. i disagree with a few, but all in all, very good.

thank you. and to answer your question (this is from his book, i will paraphrase from what i remember reading) in high school his high school coach would have to tell the refs before each game that when he got off the line so quickly he wasnt jumping offsides, he was just that fast off the ball and into his run blocking assignments. i did not word it nearly as well as what the author did, but i think you get my point. he has great explosion into his first steps and good footwork, he just needs refinement and honestly, time! he played 12 games of high school football but he is already this highly regarded. it is pretty amazing. but given a year to develop and season at the nfl level, i think he could be quite the player in his 2nd or 3rd season, and that is just what we need.

anyways, thank you for the comment(s). i appreciate the props, but you deserve props for reading that. i think it was 10 pages on microsoft word. laugh.giflaugh.gif

thank you. and to answer your question (this is from his book, i will paraphrase from what i remember reading) in high school his high school coach would have to tell the refs before each game that when he got off the line so quickly he wasnt jumping offsides, he was just that fast off the ball and into his run blocking assignments. i did not word it nearly as well as what the author did, but i think you get my point. he has great explosion into his first steps and good footwork, he just needs refinement and honestly, time! he played 12 games of high school football but he is already this highly regarded. it is pretty amazing. but given a year to develop and season at the nfl level, i think he could be quite the player in his 2nd or 3rd season, and that is just what we need.

anyways, thank you for the comment(s). i appreciate the props, but you deserve props for reading that. i think it was 10 pages on microsoft word. laugh.giflaugh.gif

he sounds great. that is why i was worried about long, because he might not be quick enough for lt. i really didn't know about oher, so thanks for bringing him to my attention. once again, props on the on the great mock.

wow. this was a looooong one biggrin.gif

i doubt that cromartie gets selected in the first round, along with highsmith. there`s better players out there, imo.

as for the falcons first 2 picks....i would love it. a stud lt and a solid qb makes my day even better.

great draft though, appreciate the work from you. i`m making mines...soon. so, be on the look-out.

man, i can't wait for the offseason mock draft game.

very good mock man! smile.gif i like the idea of taking a top notch ot first, however i'm not sure that brohm will last that long. but then again sd isn't doing that well and could pick in the 15 to 20 range if they don't turn things around and fast. overall a very solid draft and i'd be very pleased if things fell through that way in april.

i read the blindside by michael lewis. the book does a very good job of "selling" michael oher. i have been trying to fight the urge to pump oher up on these boards because i have never had the chance to even see him play.

according to the descriptions of him, oher is the new orlando pace. the guy has tremendous natural strength and agility. he is supposed to have the ideal body for the lt position. the only knock on him is that he has a "quirky" personality and may not interview well. he is very quiet and frequently refuses to acknowledge authority. that may turn off coaches. he also has a sketchy educational background that may require a different approach to teaching him the lt position. he only has about four years of football experience and one of those years was spent as a dt. all these factors may affect his draft status.

at this point, i get the feeling that oher is the best lt in this draft. however, i may be unduly influenced by the book. given his lack of experience and his apparent new-found love of the game, he has the greatest potential in this draft.

your first round scenario is exactly what i have been "dreaming" about. brohm stands a chance to become the brady quinn of this draft. if that is the case, we could end up with a great draft.

i read the blindside by michael lewis. the book does a very good job of "selling" michael oher. i have been trying to fight the urge to pump oher up on these boards because i have never had the chance to even see him play.

according to the descriptions of him, oher is the new orlando pace. the guy has tremendous natural strength and agility. he is supposed to have the ideal body for the lt position. the only knock on him is that he has a "quirky" personality and may not interview well. he is very quiet and frequently refuses to acknowledge authority. that may turn off coaches. he also has a sketchy educational background that may require a different approach to teaching him the lt position. he only has about four years of football experience and one of those years was spent as a dt. all these factors may affect his draft status.

at this point, i get the feeling that oher is the best lt in this draft. however, i may be unduly influenced by the book. given his lack of experience and his apparent new-found love of the game, he has the greatest potential in this draft.

your first round scenario is exactly what i have been "dreaming" about. brohm stands a chance to become the brady quinn of this draft. if that is the case, we could end up with a great draft.

and i don't think you're the only one. right now, i honestly can't comment on him one way or another, but i would love for him to be the lt we need. i have him as the 2nd rated ot, but that's mainly because of the hype, which again, came from the book. i haven't actually even read it, but apparently it makes him out to be some man-child. we have to wait for the combine and for him to even declare until we can say.

good job. i really like reading these moks when this kind of effort is there.

the only one i will gripe on is buf not having a good ot. jason peters is one of the best young ots in football. but that is nitpicking.

i can see us doing a trade up for a qb like you mentioned, and i would be very happy to have this scenerio in round one.

mocks that have us drafting a qb assume that leftwich will fail to impress petrino. this may be a false assumption. leftwich may indeed be the ideal qb to run petrino's offense. if that is the case, we will not draft a qb early.

however, if leftwich fails to win the starting role.....by lack of production or lack of health, then qb becomes a major priority for the team. if that is the case, and we can not find a qb via trade or free agency, then we have to make sure that we draft our qb of the future in this draft. to do that, we will have to use our first pick in the first round.

mocks that have us drafting a qb assume that leftwich will fail to impress petrino. this may be a false assumption. leftwich may indeed be the ideal qb to run petrino's offense. if that is the case, we will not draft a qb early.

however, if leftwich fails to win the starting role.....by lack of production or lack of health, then qb becomes a major priority for the team. if that is the case, and we can not find a qb via trade or free agency, then we have to make sure that we draft our qb of the future in this draft. to do that, we will have to use our first pick in the first round.

leftwich isn't the answer, he's too injury-prone.

i like the mock. my only doubt is our ability to move into the first for a 2nd and 3rd. i could see it costing us both 2nds or a 2nd and next years 1st. i'd be very happy with picking up a lt and qb in the first, however, i'd rather see matt ryan be the one to drop to us.

mocks that have us drafting a qb assume that leftwich will fail to impress petrino.

more than anything else, i think people presume leftwich will never be healthy again, which is a fair evaluation. honestly, i'm not a fan of him as a player even when he is. the reason his body takes a pounding is because he is so slow getting the ball out of the backfield.

thanks for all the comments guys. naturally, there are things wrong with it and things even i'd like to change, but i thought it did a nice job of assessing our needs.

obviously getting oher at this point is controversial and a tad bit unlikely since he might not even declare (i haven't heard if he is leaning one way or another) but i wouldnt be surprised if he went back for his senior season. i might be dissapointed, but thats how it goes. some picks in here seemed like reaches to me as i was making them, the cherilus pick, the ali highsmith pick, and 1 or 2 of the cb picks. as someone commented there are 6 cbs in the first round, which seems high to me, but i didnt realize it at the time. i just went through it trying to fill needs and holes, since its hard to ever say that a team likes a player enough to draft them over a need position.

and for metalfalcon (i think it was you) that asked what happened to balmer, i still really like him but a couple things influenced me backing off that pick. 1. coleman has been playing well. but now that ive said that he will probably get injured or stop trying, but he was a defensive player of the week candidate last week, so he has been playing at a high level recently. if he can keep that up and not get injured, he would be one of the better dts in the league, and it would be a mistake to draft someone to replace him with babs on the roster also. believe me, i will keep close tabs on him. wink.gif and 2. by trading the 2nd and 3rd for brohm it limited our options in those rounds. i think balmer will go in the 2nd-3rd round range, and because we only had one 2nd round pick, and i wanted to try some new players out, i went with beau bell to fill a big need at ilb instead of a smaller need (if it even exists right now) at ut with balmer. but if i wanted to draft him in the 3rd, which i have done before, then i wouldnt have been able to do the brohm trade, because that pick was sent to the chargers. so, it was a combination of coleman playing well and not having the picks that fit his stock available like in past drafts because of the trade.

and my final comment was that someone said we might have to trade both of our 2nds for the 1st, and if it was a higher pick that might be true. but because the point differential is only 20, and san diego does not have a player they would draft in that position (imo, they could have drafted okam perhaps, but that seemed like a reach even at #31 to me) i think they would gladly accept a trade that is almost completely fair. thats just my opinion, but i cant really go off anything besides the trade chart, and it worked out as well as these trades ever seem to on that, so i took it and ran with it. smile.gif

thanks for reading that reaaaaally long one (thanks papi, lol) and i hope you enjoyed it or found it interesting. smile.gif i look forward to reading all of your mocks as well.

mikevick7owns