a quick one.

hytrewqasdfg

a quick one.

compensatory 4th for kerney.

extra 6th for rossum trade.

i have included one trade. we move one of our 2nd round picks up into the mid-20s. the other 2nd round pick is flip/flopped with that teams mid-20s pick in the third round. basicly, we trade to 2nd round picks for a late 1st & late 3rd round pick. i don't know about the "points", but it is modeled on the trade we made to aquire jenkins, so i know it is realistic.

theory of the draft. for a number of years we've been building the team around vick. looking for the tools to make mike successful. now i think we're building around a coach. we'll be looking for the tools to make petrino successful. the question mckay will be asking come draft day is "what does bobby need to make his offense work."

our defense, for the most part, is also in pretty good shape. other then questions about mlb & some safety issues, i think we'll mostly be looking for depth & bpa on defense.

i'm on the fence about trading hall away, but i'm going to be an optimist and say they make an effort to work things out and keep him. if they do trade hall, they will probably use that pick on another cb, so the point will become moot.

i'm prediciting a run on ot starting in the late 1st and going into the 2nd round. that was the pattern in previous years when you had similar depth at wr and safety, so i think it will hold true for ot this year. mckay has traded up in the past to get the guy he wants under those circumstances (jenkins) so i think he will again.

i was tempted to take a place kicker, but mckay has consistently said he doesn't like to draft them. i think we'll target a pk as a free agent, and grab them the way we did koenig. with such a huge hole at the position, we should find some interested takers.

the falcons have 10 picks in this draft.

1a. qb - brian brohm - louisville

1b (was 2nd round pick). lt - phil loadholt - oklahoma - 6-8, 352

3a. og - duke robinson - oklahoma - 6-5, 350

3b. fs - jonathan hefney - tennessee - 5-9, 185

4a. rb/fb/wr/h-back - peyton hillis - arkansas - 6-2, 240

4b. ilb - corey mckeon - nebraska - 6-0, 235

5a. de - chase oritiz - tcu - 6-3, 250

6a. wr - amari jackson - south florida - 6-5, 195, 4.5/40

6b.olb - alvin bown - iowa st. - 6-3, 220

7a. wr - sean bailey - gerogia - 6-0, 174

1a. qb - brian brohm - louisville

the two things we must come out of this offseason are a qb of the future and a lt. until i hear a logical reason not to take brohm here, i'm going to keep plugging him in.

1b (was 2nd round pick). lt - phil loadholt - oklahoma - 6-8, 352

plug whatever lt you want in here. the point is our offense just is not going to work unless we get this fixed, and we're going to do it.

3a. og - duke robinson - oklahoma - 6-5, 350

or another guard of your choice. the ot crop is deep, and since teams needing o-line help usually take ot before og, i'm expecting a pretty good guard to be waiting for us here. considering nobody on the team seem to be able to beat our forney, guard is also pretty high on our lists of needs.

3b. fs - jonathan hefney - tennessee - 5-9, 185

the guy has better talent than this, but his size will make him drop. i haven't completely given up on jimmy williams, but it's pretty close. i think he'll end up being a nickle back in our system. milloy will probably be here another year to tutor stone, then in 2009 our defensive backfield will look like: ss-stone, fs-hefney, cb-hall & houston, nickle-j. williams. crocker will play backup safety, and j. williams will also backup at safety. this assumes we resign hall.

4a. rb/fb/wr/h-back - peyton hillis - arkansas - 6-2, 240, 4.5/40

people scoffed at me last year when i started putting laurent robinson in my mocks. they kept telling other receivers were much better. why did i go with robinson? he fit the system. i know i'll get the same scoffing about hillis, and be told other backs are better. i'll stick with hillis. he fits the system. the others don't. while we may not draft hillis, we definitly won't draft a back that doesn't fit the ths system either (it doesn'tmatter how much you like him, if he doesn't fit, we won't draft him.)

hillis does a little of everything, and does them well. power running back, sure. he not only lines up at wr (and is actually the teams leading receiver), but when the money is on the line they don't go to the more highly rated receiver monk, the go to hillis.

petrino's offense is about versitility. hillis not only fills the need of a power back, but he can line up almost anywhere (tailback, h-back, slot receiver, wide receiver, & fullback). he is as dangerous as a receiver as he is a running back. the options he would give petrino (lining up all over the place, lining up with norwood in the backfield then motioning outside, or lining up outside then motioning inside) are almost endless.

4b. ilb - corey mckeon - nebraska - 6-0, 235

zimmer had a lot of success with an undersized mlb named dat nguyen. mckeon has a lot in common with nguyen. an udersized player who's strongest skills are playing sideline to sideline, recognizing the gap the rb is comming through, and filling it quickly. he isn't the type of lb that will be able to fight off blockers, so he needs to play behind d-linemen that can soak up blockers and let him play.

5a. de - chase oritiz - tcu - 6-3, 250

a pure 4-3 speed rush defensive end. normally would go higher because 3-4 teams would target him to play lb, but has tried and failed playing lb. i'm comfortable with davis backing up anderson, but i don't feel we have anyone that can fill in for abraham if (and when) he gets hurt.

6a. amari jackson - south florida - 6-5, 195, 4.5/40

a bit of a sleeper that may go higher. thin, a little raw, bu has good speed and does and excellent job of catching the ball. probably needs a year to develop in nfl. to quote one scouting report:

"has strong hands and rarely drops passes should catch. is tall, times jumps well and can come down with most jump balls. isn't afraid to go over the middle and flashes the ability to make the tough catch in traffic. runs hard and flashes the ability to pick up yards after contact. reads blocks well, has experience carrying the ball and can run reverses. though hasn't shown much big-play flair in either role has experience returning kicks as well as punts and can contribute on special teams."

6b.olb - alvin bown - iowa st. - 6-3, 220

good production in college, but very light for this position, which is why i think he drops. similar playr to demorrio williams (who i think we'll lose this offseason). can make the team on special teams and provide some depth.

7a. wr - sean bailey - gerogia - 6-0, 175

there are a lot of reasons not to draft bailey. too small. two knee surgeries (one still to come). questionable hands. never emerged as the #1 receiver in college. but he does have one thing going for him, he's a play maker. enough that it is worth taking a chance with a 7th rounder to see if you can develop him into something.

i don't think we need to move back into the 1st to pick up a lt. there's a lot of high-quality ot's this year.

mckay targeted jenkins and moved up to get him.

mckay targeted blalock last year and attempted to move up, just couldn't make the trade (and felt lucky he dropped.)

it seems that mckay does target specific players, and will move up to get them. by draft day, i think mckay will have a specific ot in mind, and will make the extra effort (by moving up) to get their targeted guy, not just sit back and take whoever falls to the 2nd round.

uh...chase ortiz = right defensive end in the 4-3 formation. the rde in the 4-3 and the rolb in the 3-4 are the pure speed rushers. the only exception i can think of is shawn merriman, but he's also very talented at playing the run, so he just provides san diego with that extra pass rusher on the left side.