pfw's 10 free agents to watch in 08

jidady

pfw s 10 free agents to watch

nov. 13, 2007

not all free agents are created equal. in the cutthroat world of the nfl, some are looked on as franchise cornerstones, while others are merely footnotes on a transactions page. from athletic marvels to legal deviants to consummate professionals, no two players offer an identical package. as voted on by the pfw editors, here are the 10 most intriguing free agents-to-be, all of whom bear following as the season progresses.

1. wr randy moss, new england patriots

new england won t shell out top dollar for moss, but he may decide to remain with the pats, regardless.

2. ss bob sanders, indianapolis colts

look no further than a healthy sanders as the biggest reason for the colts defensive turnaround.

3. dt albert haynesworth, tennessee titans

vilified in 2006 for cleating andre gurode s face, haynesworth is now abusing o-linemen the right way.

4. cb asante samuel , new england patriots

immune to being franchised again, samuel will have a hoard of suitors longing for his signature.

5. lb lance briggs, chicago bears

equally abusive to ballcarriers and automobiles, briggs has been better than teammate brian urlacher in 07.

6. rb michael turner, san diego chargers

ladainian tomlinson s understudy is too explosive to remain a no. 2 option in san diego.

7. og alan faneca, pittsburgh steelers

faneca didn t get the extension he was seeking in pittsburgh, so it s nearly certain he s gone in 2008.

8. te dallas clark, indianapolis colts

the versatile clark is a better bet to receive a long-term deal in indy than teammate bob sanders.

9. lb terrell suggs, baltimore ravens

despite sagging sack numbers, suggs is on pace to set a career high in tackles.

10. cb nnamdi asomugha, oakland raiders

rarely tested by opposing quarterbacks, asomugha has yet to nab an interception after eight picks in 06.

i had no idea randy was a ufa. wow, thats nuts.

id love to get bob sanders though, how big of an upgrade would that be for our secondary?? that would be huge.

if we hadnt of traded up for jenkins, he could of been here from the start... dry.gif

29 atlanta falcons (from indianapolis) michael jenkins wide receiver ohio state

30 detroit lions (from kansas city) kevin jones running back virginia tech

31 san francisco 49ers (from carolina) rashaun woods wide receiver oklahoma state

32 new england patriots benjamin watson tight end georgia

round two

pick # ↓ nfl team ↓ player ↓ position ↓ college ↓

33 arizona cardinals karlos dansby linebacker auburn

34 new york giants chris snee offensive tackle boston college

35 san diego chargers igor olshansky defensive tackle oregon

36 kansas city chiefs (from detroit) junior siavii defensive tackle oregon

37 detroit lions (from cleveland) teddy lehman linebacker oklahoma

38 pittsburgh steelers (from atlanta through indianapolis) ricardo colclough cornerback tusculum

39 jacksonville jaguars daryl smith linebacker georgia tech

40 tennessee titans (from houston) ben troupe tight end florida

41 denver broncos (from washington) tatum bell running back oklahoma state

42 tennessee titans (from new york jets) travis laboy defensive end hawaii

43 dallas cowboys (from buffalo) julius jones running back notre dame

44 indianapolis colts (from pittsburgh) bob sanders strong safety iowa

oh, my, god. nnamdi asomugha is a fa after this season? ohmy.gif

dude's shut-down. he's got to be the most under-rated cb in the nfl.

briggs is a weak-side lb. demo is also in a contract year. ohmy.gif

michael turner: 5'10" 237 lbs

haynesworth is a beast.

oh, christ, just bring them all home, mckay. except for faneca(too old), samuel(would ask for way too much), moss(will want to either stay with ne or break somebody's bank), or sanders(see moss's comment).

oh, my, god. nnamdi asomugha is a fa after this season? ohmy.gif

dude's shut-down. he's got to be the most under-rated cb in the nfl.

briggs is a weak-side lb. demo is also in a contract year. ohmy.gif

michael turner: 5'10" 237 lbs

haynesworth is a beast.

oh, christ, just bring them all home, mckay. except for faneca(too old), samuel(would ask for way too much), moss(will want to either stay with ne or break somebody's bank), or sanders(see moss's comment).

asomugha is by far the best defensive player on a pretty good defensive team!

if we trade hall, nnamdi asomugha is the guy i'd want to get... he's young and very good...

he is very good, but i dont know if he is as good as his 06 stats said.

if hall would demand to go (which i dont think he will) this is the guy i would want. he would probably be cheaper than samuel, and imo he is better.

og alan faneca, and bob sanders out of these , milloy will retire . and then pcik up max starks . draft the rest . we have about 12 picks .

i just don't think some of the bettter players will get lose like haynesworth , i'd love that but they will resign him imo/

milloy has said he plans out playing out his deal through 08. i like faneca, but dont know if we have the room to spend 40m + on a seasoned og. i like stacey andrews for an og pickup. big mauler, starter, and only in his 4th year.

i also like sanders, but dont know if he gets loose. although indy is known for letting dbs go and plugging in new guys. they might have to let sanders go to keep lilja and/or scott to protect manning.

milloy has said he plans out playing out his deal through 08. i like faneca, but dont know if we have the room to spend 40m + on a seasoned og. i like stacey andrews for an og pickup. big mauler, starter, and only in his 4th year.

i also like sanders, but dont know if he gets loose. although indy is known for letting dbs go and plugging in new guys. they might have to let sanders go to keep lilja and/or scott to protect manning.

if either lilja or scott does get set free, i'd snap him up in a heartbeat. either would be an upgrade for us on the o-line.

they are very good, but dont fit our scheme. both in are int eh 290 range, and too small for our in line scheme.

ah, didn't think about the size issue. i'm forced to watch the colts a lot by my brother-in-law, and i'm just used to seeing peyton have all that time to throw ... so in my mind they stand out as good pass protectors.

pfw’s 10 free agents to watch

nov. 13, 2007

not all free agents are created equal. in the cutthroat world of the nfl, some are looked on as franchise cornerstones, while others are merely footnotes on a transactions page. from athletic marvels to legal deviants to consummate professionals, no two players offer an identical package. as voted on by the pfw editors, here are the 10 most intriguing free agents-to-be, all of whom bear following as the season progresses.

1. wr randy moss, new england patriots

new england won’t shell out top dollar for moss, but he may decide to remain with the pats, regardless.

2. ss bob sanders, indianapolis colts

look no further than a healthy sanders as the biggest reason for the colts’ defensive turnaround.

3. dt albert haynesworth, tennessee titans

vilified in 2006 for cleating andre gurode’s face, haynesworth is now abusing o-linemen the right way.

4. cb asante samuel , new england patriots

immune to being franchised again, samuel will have a hoard of suitors longing for his signature.

5. lb lance briggs, chicago bears

equally abusive to ballcarriers and automobiles, briggs has been better than teammate brian urlacher in ’07.

6. rb michael turner, san diego chargers

ladainian tomlinson’s understudy is too explosive to remain a no. 2 option in san diego.

7. og alan faneca, pittsburgh steelers

faneca didn’t get the extension he was seeking in pittsburgh, so it’s nearly certain he’s gone in 2008.

8. te dallas clark, indianapolis colts

the versatile clark is a better bet to receive a long-term deal in indy than teammate bob sanders.

9. lb terrell suggs, baltimore ravens

despite sagging sack numbers, suggs is on pace to set a career high in tackles.

10. cb nnamdi asomugha, oakland raiders

rarely tested by opposing quarterbacks, asomugha has yet to nab an interception after eight picks in ’06.

imagine our linebacker corps if we drafted laurinaitis, and picked up suggs in the off season biggrin.gif

plug haynesworth in, and it would be the best front 7 in football...

i would be surprised if most of them hit the market... the only sure things at the moment would be briggs, samuel

and faneca. i would think turner would leave as well...

imagine our linebacker corps if we drafted laurinaitis, and picked up suggs in the off season biggrin.gif

plug haynesworth in, and it would be the best front 7 in football...

i would be surprised if most of them hit the market... the only sure things at the moment would be briggs, samuel

and faneca. i would think turner would leave as well...

is turner really the real deal though? i think just about any running back could look good behind the chargers o-line, coming in to pitch relief for lt...

i'll admit: he's got decent power and blazing speed, but can he be a #1 back in this league? i'd be willing to give him a shot, honestly, but i doubt the fo goes for him.

is turner really the real deal though? i think just about any running back could look good behind the chargers o-line, coming in to pitch relief for lt...

i'll admit: he's got decent power and blazing speed, but can he be a #1 back in this league? i'd be willing to give him a shot, honestly, but i doubt the fo goes for him.

i guess thats something a franchise will have to find out...

there will be a market there for him, it just a question of how much is a team willing to shell out... if he asks to higher

a price, he can stay at san diego. he has decent size and speed, but im not sure he is really a fit here. i'm still torn on that

one... he may come in and do 'it' all, and he may also flop. no one knows whether he can carry the load, he just hasnt done

it on a consistent basis...