my first mock ever.

falconknight

tell me what ya'll think! wink.gif

week 11:

rd:pick

1:1 mia-glenn dorsey-dt-lsu (the dolphins have big problems almost everywhere on the field, but you take the best player in the draft imo. dorsey can help them against the run and pass and will be an outstanding playmaker.)

1:2 nyj-darren mcfadden-rb-arkansas (the jets offense has problems as well, their o-line has potential, but they don't have any playmakers. dmac has amazing speed to complement his size.)

1:3 stl-jake long-ol-michigan (the rams have great playmakers on the offense with steven jackson and torry holt, but they have had poor seasons mostly in part due to a horrible o-line.)

1:4 oak-chris long-de-virginia (the raiders hope to turn the boat around with their #1 pick from last years draft, and now picking up the best de in the class, they aqcuired maybe the two most important positions in the nfl, and you know howie's son has the potential to be great.)

1:5 ne(from sf)-james laurinaitis-lb-ohio state (the pats don't need any players anyways... but they do have an outstanding lb crew but they are catching up to mort in age. they need to get younger and quicker and laurinaitis is the answer to their questions.)

1:6 min-andre woodsen-qb-kentucky (the vikings have an offense ready to step-up, but jackson is not the answer at qb and is holding them back. i like sidney rice and if you have a qb that can get him the ball their can't be 8 people in the box against ap.)

1:7 atl-brian brohm-qb-louisville (i would honestly rather have matt ryan or an ot at this position, but i really believe that this will be our pick so we can win now in a poor division.)

2:7 atl-jonathan stewart-rb-oregon (norwood stewart 1-2 punch, nuff siad. doubt he will be here but i'll try to keep it more realistic.)

2:14 atl(from hou)-tony hills-ot-texas (may be a bit of a gamble with his injury but i don't believe he will be their in the 3rd round, and i think he is a perfect match with his former teamate justin blalock on his right side.)

3:7 atl-ben moffit-lb-south florida (i think he will still be here in the 3rd and i think he will be a steal.)

3:(comp. fo kerney) atl-kerry brown-og-appalachian state (my sleeper pick of the draft, i have only seen the michigan and gsu game, but i have liked what i have seen, and i'm not alone on this one.)

4:7 atl-marcus griffin-fs-texas (i think jimmy williams is still out of position, chris crocker looks improved but marcus would be a nice back-up and maybe even compete.)

5:7 atl-art carmody-k-louisville (we all know what happened the last two season we didn't address the kicker position, luckily the great dane still had som ekick left in him.)

6:7 atl-jason shirley-dt-fresno st. (we almost always seem to need depth at dt and this player is a big boy at 6-5 330 and should come into the rotation and plug some holes every once in a while.)

6:(compensary for rossum) atl-brian witherspoon-cb-stillman (take our former kick returners pick and draft a player with 4.25 speed to return kicks for us this year.)

7:7 atl-sean sester-ot-purdue (petrino likes big o-lineman, as in 6-7 325 big.)

not only is it a great job with your picks , i say you have about a 75 % chance of hitting our pick dead on ! jmo. nice work. hey if you enjoy doing full first rd picks and if you can get good enough at it you could have a great chance of winning i think it is $100,000 dollar in a game that is put on the frount page a few weeks before the draft , i got within a few picks year before last but last year was crazy i don't think anybody could have got that one right evne if they had 50 chances , really! it was unpredictable, but that was very unusual . keep working on it and study who each tema is needing and you could have a good chnce to win it , i know it will be hard , but hey , for free it makes that 1st round of the draft a whole lot more fun .i'll give you a tip , the last 4 or five picks are the hardest because you don't know eaxctly who will be in the bottom of the 1st and the top of the 2nd , oh! but let me explain , all you have to do is pick the 32 players who will be in the first round , not who they will go to , sounds pretty easy , but it is not. but it is very easy to play and enter. it looks like somthing you should try .

not only is it a great job with your picks , i say you have about a 75 % chance of hitting our pick dead on ! jmo. nice work. hey if you enjoy doing full first rd picks and if you can get good enough at it you could have a great chance of winning i think it is $100,000 dollar in a game that is put on the frount page a few weeks before the draft , i got within a few picks year before last but last year was crazy i don't think anybody could have got that one right evne if they had 50 chances , really! it was unpredictable, but that was very unusual . keep working on it and study who each tema is needing and you could have a good chnce to win it , i know it will be hard , but hey , for free it makes that 1st round of the draft a whole lot more fun .i'll give you a tip , the last 4 or five picks are the hardest because you don't know eaxctly who will be in the bottom of the 1st and the top of the 2nd , oh! but let me explain , all you have to do is pick the 32 players who will be in the first round , not who they will go to , sounds pretty easy , but it is not. but it is very easy to play and enter. it looks like somthing you should try .

thanks, i'll look into that, but come on you didn't have ted ginn jr. going to the dolphins? laugh.gif

thanks, i'll look into that, but come on you didn't have ted ginn jr. going to the dolphins? laugh.gif

you got that right neither did anybody else , i felt real sorry for those dolphin fans , that would have made me sick to my stomack. they didn't like it a at all either. can't blame them , whoever caused that should be fired.

this would be a solid draft, pretty realistic.

realistic? hahah look man, it's your first mock and you did it to appease the masses but the simple fact is that this is a cookie cutter mock that every other nobody here is posting with the only exception being kerry brown. look man, mocking is not about getting draftnut's approval or having people tell you that you did well. there are 2 reasons that i mock. 1) to put together the draft i want us to have, which never happens. 2) you are guessing how the draft will go realistically.

either way, you missed the mark here man. i'm only saying this because the herd mentality on this draft forum is ridiculous and keeps us all from learning more and getting better at it.

look man, anyone can throw statements in their sigs about how they knew this guy would be great or that guy when every one of us picks a hundred guys who we think will be great during the offseason. the only person that matters is you and want you want to get out of it.

what i get out of mocking and following the draft is hope. the hope that one day the falcons will get it right and the hope that maybe the things i say in my mocks will be taken seriously by somebody who actually reads this stuff for my own reasons.

good luck to you, it's a nice mock, but it's one i have already seen about 20 times in this forum.

realistic? hahah look man, it's your first mock and you did it to appease the masses but the simple fact is that this is a cookie cutter mock that every other nobody here is posting with the only exception being kerry brown. look man, mocking is not about getting draftnut's approval or having people tell you that you did well. there are 2 reasons that i mock. 1) to put together the draft i want us to have, which never happens. 2) you are guessing how the draft will go realistically.

either way, you missed the mark here man. i'm only saying this because the herd mentality on this draft forum is ridiculous and keeps us all from learning more and getting better at it.

look man, anyone can throw statements in their sigs about how they knew this guy would be great or that guy when every one of us picks a hundred guys who we think will be great during the offseason. the only person that matters is you and want you want to get out of it.

what i get out of mocking and following the draft is hope. the hope that one day the falcons will get it right and the hope that maybe the things i say in my mocks will be taken seriously by somebody who actually reads this stuff for my own reasons.

good luck to you, it's a nice mock, but it's one i have already seen about 20 times in this forum.

that's understandable, i mostly just put down people i knew, like i said its my first mock, and i hope to improve on it as i watch more players. but thanks for the input.

tell me what ya'll think! wink.gif

week 11:

rd:pick

1:1 mia-glenn dorsey-dt-lsu (the dolphins have big problems almost everywhere on the field, but you take the best player in the draft imo. dorsey can help them against the run and pass and will be an outstanding playmaker.)

1:2 nyj-darren mcfadden-rb-arkansas (the jets offense has problems as well, their o-line has potential, but they don't have any playmakers. dmac has amazing speed to complement his size.)

1:3 stl-jake long-ol-michigan (the rams have great playmakers on the offense with steven jackson and torry holt, but they have had poor seasons mostly in part due to a horrible o-line.)

1:4 oak-chris long-de-virginia (the raiders hope to turn the boat around with their #1 pick from last years draft, and now picking up the best de in the class, they aqcuired maybe the two most important positions in the nfl, and you know howie's son has the potential to be great.)

1:5 ne(from sf)-james laurinaitis-lb-ohio state (the pats don't need any players anyways... but they do have an outstanding lb crew but they are catching up to mort in age. they need to get younger and quicker and laurinaitis is the answer to their questions.)

1:6 min-andre woodsen-qb-kentucky (the vikings have an offense ready to step-up, but jackson is not the answer at qb and is holding them back. i like sidney rice and if you have a qb that can get him the ball their can't be 8 people in the box against ap.)

1:7 atl-brian brohm-qb-louisville (i would honestly rather have matt ryan or an ot at this position, but i really believe that this will be our pick so we can win now in a poor division.)

2:7 atl-jonathan stewart-rb-oregon (norwood stewart 1-2 punch, nuff siad. doubt he will be here but i'll try to keep it more realistic.)

2:14 atl(from hou)-tony hills-ot-texas (may be a bit of a gamble with his injury but i don't believe he will be their in the 3rd round, and i think he is a perfect match with his former teamate justin blalock on his right side.)

3:7 atl-ben moffit-lb-south florida (i think he will still be here in the 3rd and i think he will be a steal.)

3:(comp. fo kerney) atl-kerry brown-og-appalachian state (my sleeper pick of the draft, i have only seen the michigan and gsu game, but i have liked what i have seen, and i'm not alone on this one.)

4:7 atl-marcus griffin-fs-texas (i think jimmy williams is still out of position, chris crocker looks improved but marcus would be a nice back-up and maybe even compete.)

5:7 atl-art carmody-k-louisville (we all know what happened the last two season we didn't address the kicker position, luckily the great dane still had som ekick left in him.)

6:7 atl-jason shirley-dt-fresno st. (we almost always seem to need depth at dt and this player is a big boy at 6-5 330 and should come into the rotation and plug some holes every once in a while.)

6:(compensary for rossum) atl-brian witherspoon-cb-stillman (take our former kick returners pick and draft a player with 4.25 speed to return kicks for us this year.)

7:7 atl-sean sester-ot-purdue (petrino likes big o-lineman, as in 6-7 325 big.)

i saw another late round sleeper om espn last night. his name is greco. he is a 6'5" 330 lb ot from toledo.

i heard tony hills is out for the season with and injury , i love the stewart pick , he is the only player i know i want for sure unless we somehow can take mcfadden , but i don't see it being possible unless we trade up and i don't think that will happen.

ah... and by the way , you don't have to get aproval from anybody with your mock , especially not me. i'm just a football and draft fan of the falcons . don't let some of the posters on here discourage you , it's just a simple side hobby and some people take it way to serious .

you have done a very good job. as always, there are small factors that could radically change the entire draft. for purposes of discussion, let me bring up a few.

brian brohm is the most popular choice on these boards. we have not seen stellar play from our qb's, so brohm is a natural fit. he is the most "petrino ready" of the qb's, but i am not so sure that we will take him so early. petrino is accustomed to developing qb's. he has done it repeatedly in college. and i think that he has a certain "arrogance" about his abitily to take average qb's and make them perform like studs. if petrino is not satisfied with our qb's at season's end, i think that we will add a qb in fa and draft one in a later round. andrew walter is a name to keep an eye on. mckay made some phone calls about him earlier this season. walter is currently the odd man out in oakland, don't be surprised to see him on our roster this off season. in this draft, players like flacco, keller and ainge, as well as johnson, could look appealing to petrino. none of them will be ready to play next season, but could be candidates to start in 2010.

so, if petrino and mckay don't take a qb with our first pick, what should they do? i see three prospects that i like. sedrick ellis (dt, usc), kenny phillips (fs, um) and michael oher (ot, miss).

drafting a quick and strong dt, like ellis would ensure that we would have a constant interior pass rush to disrupt qb's. he is a step below glenn dorsey, but not by much. he has nearly the same size as dorsey, with the same determination to attack the qb. few people talk about him, but he is worthy of a top ten pick and will make a quick impact on any team's defense. mckay found a good dt in trey lewis, so he may have another sleeper dt on his radar. mckay seems to have a knack for finding good, lesser known dt's in fa and the draft. for that reason, i am guessing that dt is not a likely first round choice for the falcons.

phillips is a natural fs with cb skills. you mentioned that j williams may be playing out of position, and you may be right. shifting williams to ss and plugging in the studious phillips into the fs spot could make for a brilliant secondary. i think that petrino and hall will figure out a way to get past their differences, but there is still a chance that hall could be dealt. if that is the case, drafting an impact fs, like phillips could cover for average cb play. last year, most board members were clamoring for laron landry. landry is more of a ss prospect, while phillips is a true fs. our secondary is playing well now, so there is not a desperate need for any major changes. however, there is no doubt that phillips is the next great fs to come out of miami. it would be nice to have the next ed reed patrolling the falcon secondary. with or without d hall, phillips could make a big difference to our d.

and finally, michael oher is quite possibly the best lt prospect in this draft. he is still very inexperienced and has a quirky background, but there is no doubt that he was born for the lt position. i read the newest michael lewis book, the blindside. it is the story of how important a lt is to an offense and about the unmined football talent that riddles the inner city. the story line switches between nfl history and the life of michael oher. the book makes for interesting reading to the serious nfl fan. oher is characterized as a misunderstood young man with enormous potential and a strong heart. the team that drafts him, will need to be patient and will need to employ teaching techniques taylor made for this complicated player. it may take a season to refine his technique and teach him the strategy, but he is a future star lt. the extra effort could pay off handsomely for a team in need of a lt.

that was long winded, but i wanted to add to your post, because your mock shows great insight. let me know about your alternative choices for the first round and what you think of mine.

you have done a very good job. as always, there are small factors that could radically change the entire draft. for purposes of discussion, let me bring up a few.

brian brohm is the most popular choice on these boards. we have not seen stellar play from our qb's, so brohm is a natural fit. he is the most "petrino ready" of the qb's, but i am not so sure that we will take him so early. petrino is accustomed to developing qb's. he has done it repeatedly in college. and i think that he has a certain "arrogance" about his abitily to take average qb's and make them perform like studs. if petrino is not satisfied with our qb's at season's end, i think that we will add a qb in fa and draft one in a later round. andrew walter is a name to keep an eye on. mckay made some phone calls about him earlier this season. walter is currently the odd man out in oakland, don't be surprised to see him on our roster this off season. in this draft, players like flacco, keller and ainge, as well as johnson, could look appealing to petrino. none of them will be ready to play next season, but could be candidates to start in 2010.

so, if petrino and mckay don't take a qb with our first pick, what should they do? i see three prospects that i like. sedrick ellis (dt, usc), kenny phillips (fs, um) and michael oher (ot, miss).

drafting a quick and strong dt, like ellis would ensure that we would have a constant interior pass rush to disrupt qb's. he is a step below glenn dorsey, but not by much. he has nearly the same size as dorsey, with the same determination to attack the qb. few people talk about him, but he is worthy of a top ten pick and will make a quick impact on any team's defense. mckay found a good dt in trey lewis, so he may have another sleeper dt on his radar. mckay seems to have a knack for finding good, lesser known dt's in fa and the draft. for that reason, i am guessing that dt is not a likely first round choice for the falcons.

phillips is a natural fs with cb skills. you mentioned that j williams may be playing out of position, and you may be right. shifting williams to ss and plugging in the studious phillips into the fs spot could make for a brilliant secondary. i think that petrino and hall will figure out a way to get past their differences, but there is still a chance that hall could be dealt. if that is the case, drafting an impact fs, like phillips could cover for average cb play. last year, most board members were clamoring for laron landry. landry is more of a ss prospect, while phillips is a true fs. our secondary is playing well now, so there is not a desperate need for any major changes. however, there is no doubt that phillips is the next great fs to come out of miami. it would be nice to have the next ed reed patrolling the falcon secondary. with or without d hall, phillips could make a big difference to our d.

and finally, michael oher is quite possibly the best lt prospect in this draft. he is still very inexperienced and has a quirky background, but there is no doubt that he was born for the lt position. i read the newest michael lewis book, the blindside. it is the story of how important a lt is to an offense and about the unmined football talent that riddles the inner city. the story line switches between nfl history and the life of michael oher. the book makes for interesting reading to the serious nfl fan. oher is characterized as a misunderstood young man with enormous potential and a strong heart. the team that drafts him, will need to be patient and will need to employ teaching techniques taylor made for this complicated player. it may take a season to refine his technique and teach him the strategy, but he is a future star lt. the extra effort could pay off handsomely for a team in need of a lt.

that was long winded, but i wanted to add to your post, because your mock shows great insight. let me know about your alternative choices for the first round and what you think of mine.

when i make a mock i usually mix together what i think the fo will do along with what i would like to see them do, but it is not just one or the other. i think somtimes that we should make mocks of ( what mckay and patrino will do in the draft ) & ( what we would do in the draft ) just t osee how that would turn out .

i heard tony hills is out for the season with and injury , i love the stewart pick , he is the only player i know i want for sure unless we somehow can take mcfadden , but i don't see it being possible unless we trade up and i don't think that will happen.

ah... and by the way , you don't have to get aproval from anybody with your mock , especially not me. i'm just a football and draft fan of the falcons . don't let some of the posters on here discourage you , it's just a simple side hobby and some people take it way to serious .

he is. from what ive read, however, it will only be a 1-2 month recovery. if it was earlier in the season he would probably play again. thats my understanding at least.

overall, good mock. willworkfortackles makes a stern point but it is a good one. however, being your first mock, i thought it was well done.

lets see your latest draft.....

brian brohm was on the cover of sports illustrated as a junior in high school. he was a highly recruited prospect. saying that petrino doesn't go after good qb talent and prefers to develop a no-name is not accurate.

sorry, i wasn't aware of brohm as a college recuit. my bad. the point is that petrino loves the idea of developing his qb's. he may not take a hard stand on taking brohm, if he feels that there are other qb prospects with the potential he is looking for.

my post was intended to stimulate discussion about other first round alternatives to brohm. these boards are full of brohm supporters (for good reason). but, that doesn't mean we should follow along without any other thoughts.

once again, very good mock.

let's talk about your second pick....jonathan stewart. obviously, he would be a perfect compliment to norwood. he reminds me off jamal anderson (the first one). he runs low to the ground and provides only shoulders and thighs for targets. he is also shifty and has speed. it is hard to imagine that he would fall into our laps in the second round, but it could happen.

here is why: not every team needs a big rb. guys like slaton, johnson and rice might have a greater appeal to some teams that are looking for a "big play back." keep in mind that r mendenhall is considering entering this draft. if he does, he may be considered the second best rb in this draft.

i see nothing wrong with stewart, but he may lose points on perception alone. he might be perceived to have it easier as a runner in his conference. and, he may get less credit for running in a spread offense that features an extremely mobile qb that can rush very well. memdenhall is the variable here. if he enters the draft, we may be able to add stewart to our backfield.....that would be a good thing.

i have to go to work, so let me throw this at you as well. tony hill is a good pass protector, but he lacks run blocking skills. i would sacrifice run blocking on the blindside for pass protection, but we may not have to.

another thing to consider is that our greatest ol weakness is along the interior. weiner, clabo and even foster have done a decent job this season. forney is not the same after his injury. if quarterman is not the answer, then we may have to draft a solid replacement.

keep an eye out for the other oregon state og---jeremy perry. i have seen write ups comparing him to steve hutchinson. i don't give much credence to that claim, but if someone can compare him to the best og in the game, he is worth looking at.

this draft is deep in ot's. i don't see a great difference between tony hills and heath benedict or john grecco. there may be a huge difference, but i have not seen enough of any of them to make a truly informed decision.

it is too early to say that we should or shouldn't draft a qb in the first round. petrino is doing the right thing by starting leftwich. after a trial of four of five games, petrino will know whether he needs to draft a qb in round one.

i agree, and if lefty fails, it doesnt necessarily mean brohm is automatic...

it would not surprise me at all, if mckay drafted for defense with the 1st pick. he has put together the foundations

of a great d, and may want to complete it...

i would be happy with that smile.gif