espn - talent pool deep at qb for '08 draft

aveboogie

plenty of qb's in 2008

given the instability and absence of depth at the position this season, there figure to be quite a few teams scrambling to grab quarterbacks in the 2008 draft. the talent pool at the game's most critical spot appears to be deep.

just among the senior prospects alone, there are probably nine quarterbacks who likely will be selected in the first three rounds: erik ainge (tennessee), john david booty (southern california), colt brennan (hawaii), brian brohm (louisville), dennis dixon (oregon), chad henne (michigan), josh johnson (san diego), matt ryan (boston college) and andre woodson (kentucky).

by recent standards, that looks to be a bumper crop for the top part of the draft.

in the eight drafts since 2000, the first three rounds have produced only 41 prospects, an average of 5.1 per year. in 2007, six quarterbacks were chosen in the first three rounds, and no draft since 2000 has had more than seven qbs selected in the opening three stanzas.

but why list the nine prospects cited above alphabetically? because scouts don't have a good feel yet for how to rank them, either.

despite the hype for guys such as ryan, brohm and woodson, each has a wart or two that concern talent evaluators. scouts are beginning to question the arm strength of brohm and the accuracy of ryan, wonder if brennan is simply a product of a run-and-shoot offense that always inflates a quarterback's numbers, and believe that woodson might be a bit too mechanical.

there are, justifiably, injury concerns about ainge, booty, henne and brennan. dixon, who has been drafted by the atlanta braves, may opt for a baseball career. and johnson is a bit of a late bloomer.

so while the first three rounds of next year's draft probably will see an increase in the number of quarterbacks chosen, there remain lots of questions at this early juncture of the overall evaluation process. and most scouts say that the number of possible top-10 quarterback prospects has been overstated.

"put the top four or five names in a hat, pick 'em out, and your order would be as good as anyone's right now," said one afc director of player personnel.

one name to watch: joe flacco of delaware, who definitely is on the rise and whose arm strength seems to compare favorably to that of the more well-known prospects. the former backup to tyler palko at the university of pittsburgh, flacco transferred in 2006 and has put up big numbers for the blue hens, completing 472 of 712 passes for 5,448 yards, with 31 touchdown passes and 13 interceptions, in less than two full seasons.

flacco is 6-foot-6 and 236 pounds, has good pocket presence and has thrown only three interceptions this year in leading delaware to an 8-1 record. although there has been no official announcement yet, flacco has been invited to the hula bowl all-star game.

he may need some time to develop at the nfl level, but flacco could be a middle-round bargain, a guy who costs a lot less than most of the better-known prospects, but who might offer just as much upside as many of the others.

-------------------

woodson (mechanical, an issue that can be addressed) >>>> brohm (weak arm + durability issues, cannot be addressed)

yep, o-line in the 1st, not qb

dry.gif how did i know that was coming. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

i think the falcons will be ok to draft a qb in the 1st and ol in the 2nd or the other way around. it looks to me like both the qb and ol talent pool is deep. and with 4 picks in the first 3 rnds, the falcons should be able to get a good qb and a couple of good ol.

mechanical isn't the problem i saw with woodson... i think his mechanics are messed up and lead to inaccuracy at times, a lot like vick's. i also saw some poor decision making, but it's probably something that can be coached.

brohm's arm strength is fine. he can make all of the throws no problem and he has good touch. does anyone really need to be able to throw it 60 yards sitting down? his injury concerns are overblown too. he'll be a good one.

agreed. nice post. i think woodson has a ton of potential, but brohm is the better of the two.

mechanical isn't the problem i saw with woodson... i think his mechanics are messed up and lead to inaccuracy at times, a lot like vick's. i also saw some poor decision making, but it's probably something that can be coached.

brohm's arm strength is fine. he can make all of the throws no problem and he has good touch. does anyone really need to be able to throw it 60 yards sitting down? his injury concerns are overblown too. he'll be a good one.

much like harrington, brohm cannot zip the ball into tight windows. of course you don't see this, except when louisville plays teams of note and brohm perfoms less than his best.

overblown injury concerns? in the past 3 seasons he's had surgery on a knee, shoulder and thumb and had a wrist injury that caused him to miss 2 other games. you do realize brohm has yet to complete an injury free season?

woodson's flaws can be corrected, brohm's cannot.

he lost me when he siad ryan has a problem with acurracy. that is his strength , i hate to disapoint bart , but bp will pinpoint the qb he thinks is best in the draft and take him with the first pick , i feel sure of it unless he thinks flacco is a dimond in the ruff, i wish he was and we could take a ot with the first pick , but i really don't think it will happen.

he lost me when he siad ryan has a problem with acurracy. that is his strength , i hate to disapoint bart , but bp will pinpoint the qb he thinks is best in the draft and take him with the first pick , i feel sure of it unless he thinks flacco is a dimond in the ruff, i wish he was and we could take a ot with the first pick , but i really don't think it will happen.

ryan, accurate? maybe against the bowling green's of the world....

that's what makes me feel good about this upcoming draft. petrino and his staff will be able to scout all these qb's and decide who they want. it will basically be a decision that could make or break them, because it's pretty clear how important having the right qb is. i feel confident in petrino's knowledge of qb's because he's got harrington playing about as well as you could expect harrington to play and when petrino talks about qb play he seems spot on.

much like harrington, brohm cannot zip the ball into tight windows. of course you don't see this, except when louisville plays teams of note and brohm perfoms less than his best.

overblown injury concerns? in the past 3 seasons he's had surgery on a knee, shoulder and thumb and had a wrist injury that caused him to miss 2 other games. you do realize brohm has yet to complete an injury free season?

woodson's flaws can be corrected, brohm's cannot.

i've been saying brohm reminds me of joe alot (i mean college joe who was pretty good)

imo this guy is not the guy we are looking for

i think for us its really between woodson & dixon

which turns into a question of are we burning a first & a ton of $ on woodson or a second & not as much $ on dixon

both have some concerns beyond the normal untested college qb however we are taking a risk with anyone.

personally id like to trade down in the first to nab a stud o-line guy & jonathan stewart

then go dixon & o-line in the second

we could make alot of moves to put ourselves in a situation to be bk in the mix in a few yrs.

i have been screaming for the next couple yrs we are going to require mobility at the qb position until we build this line back up & even then id prefer a mobile qb over a slug, adding dixon along with shockley will give us a solid future imo (im obviously a shockley believer) i like left as our starter next yr until he gets injured or dixon or shock is ready.

i like josh johnson as well but i just dont see us taking that type of risk in our current position

if we draft dixon & he doesnt work for us, we wont have first round $ invested in him to where we are stuck with him for the next 10 yrs

i've been saying brohm reminds me of joe alot (i mean college joe who was pretty good)

imo this guy is not the guy we are looking for

i think for us its really between woodson & dixon

which turns into a question of are we burning a first & a ton of $ on woodson or a second & not as much $ on dixon

both have some concerns beyond the normal untested college qb however we are taking a risk with anyone.

personally id like to trade down in the first to nab a stud o-line guy & jonathan stewart

then go dixon & o-line in the second

we could make alot of moves to put ourselves in a situation to be bk in the mix in a few yrs.

i have been screaming for the next couple yrs we are going to require mobility at the qb position until we build this line back up & even then id prefer a mobile qb over a slug, adding dixon along with shockley will give us a solid future imo (im obviously a shockley believer) i like left as our starter next yr until he gets injured or dixon or shock is ready.

i like josh johnson as well but i just dont see us taking that type of risk in our current position

if we draft dixon & he doesnt work for us, we wont have first round $ invested in him to where we are stuck with him for the next 10 yrs

missing on a qb picked in the top 5, top 10 doesn't hurt so much with the money, but the time invested. you spend 3-4 years developing a guy, and if he doesn't pan out, you spend the next 3-4 years developing another guy.

i, like other, believe in petrino's ability to develop a guy at qb. who the guy is, i have my beliefs, and i'll be curious to see what petrino thinks.

i wonder what gm's will think if petrino passes on brohm? obviously, there's not a guy in football that knows more about brohm, strengths and weaknesses.

i like the idea of dixon in the second, but the worry is he won't be there.

what i find funny is you guys take what lenny p. says as facts. we are talking about a nfl draft!! do you think anybody is going to tell lenny p. anything that is true about a player in this draft? you know lenny p is not scouting these players!!

when is comes to the draft remember one thing,"don't trust any reports"

you guys are so ready to take anything that back ups your view of a player, and use it. it's lenny p. for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!

i, like other, believe in petrino's ability to develop a guy at qb. who the guy is, i have my beliefs, and i'll be curious to see what petrino thinks.

i wonder what gm's will think if petrino passes on brohm? obviously, there's not a guy in football that knows more about brohm, strengths and weaknesses.

i definitely agree because judging by petrino's '06 squad at louisville and the gems that came out of it that we missed timing and grooming is the key...brohm's gonna be rated as the most nfl ready but probably not the one with the most upside and potential to be a superstar qb..the reason i'd draft brohm is because he'll fit...i'm pretty sure if petrino had his own choice last year okoye (and maybe bush too) would be here right now...

what i find funny is you guys take what lenny p. says as facts. we are talking about a nfl draft!! do you think anybody is going to tell lenny p. anything that is true about a player in this draft? you know lenny p is not scouting these players!!

when is comes to the draft remember one thing,"don't trust any reports"

you guys are so ready to take anything that back ups your view of a player, and use it. it's lenny p. for crying out loud!!!!!!!!!

100% agreement.

lenny p is hardly a staple for draft credibility. he probably just read about flacco and thought he could impress some people by bringing him up, so he wrote an article.

matt ryan throws alot of interceptions cause he is all they have offensively. he has an ok talent around him. think brett favre the past couple years except this year. he was trying to do too much. forcing throws. gunslingers win big games (see vt game) but often throw alot of int. i wouldnt care if he average 4+ int a game if we won every single one of them. also bc's defense sucks so they are forced to throw alot. if the qb has to throw for 40+ times a game all the time. i expect him to throw a few ints. ryan is a better nfl-talent qb than alex smith and smith went #1. that is all i got to say. heck brohm and woodson are too. brohm to me is a backup qb in the nfl. he had nfl skills and wont lose the game for you. but he doesnt have it. woodson has everything you want in a qb except the legs and i think he will need a few nfl years to be ready. dixon is not an nfl qb. nor is booty. henne will also be a backup in the nfl. i dont see any of the qbs this year becoming superstars and i think ryan has the intangiables to win games and be able to survive the scrutiny that a rookie qb will get in atl

matt ryan throws alot of interceptions cause he is all they have offensively. he has an ok talent around him. think brett favre the past couple years except this year. he was trying to do too much. forcing throws. gunslingers win big games (see vt game) but often throw alot of int. i wouldnt care if he average 4+ int a game if we won every single one of them. also bc's defense sucks so they are forced to throw alot. if the qb has to throw for 40+ times a game all the time. i expect him to throw a few ints. ryan is a better nfl-talent qb than alex smith and smith went #1. that is all i got to say. heck brohm and woodson are too. brohm to me is a backup qb in the nfl. he had nfl skills and wont lose the game for you. but he doesnt have it. woodson has everything you want in a qb except the legs and i think he will need a few nfl years to be ready. dixon is not an nfl qb. nor is booty. henne will also be a backup in the nfl. i dont see any of the qbs this year becoming superstars and i think ryan has the intangiables to win games and be able to survive the scrutiny that a rookie qb will get in atl

woodson is no less or no more mobile than brohm or ryan.

you may want to check on bc's defense if you believe they suck. maybe they appear to stink because they spend all day on the field thanks to ryans' turnovers.

missing on a qb picked in the top 5, top 10 doesn't hurt so much with the money, but the time invested. you spend 3-4 years developing a guy, and if he doesn't pan out, you spend the next 3-4 years developing another guy.

and what if dixon chooses to play for the braves rather than risk serious injury playing football? we basically wasted a 2nd or 3rd round pick drafting a guy who very well might never play a down in the nfl. no thanks to that scenario.

awful argument

your touting this class like there is not any talent besides ryan

ryan is probably like the 4th qb taken in my mock

watch some tape, most college qbs are always super raw coming into the league, everyone is a risk thats why you look for things like completion %, how they work in big games etc

under those conditions delete ryan and henne

dixon & woodson are flying high in these categories

taking brohm just because he went to louisville would be a huge mistake.

if petrino is the real deal he shouldn't need brohm. kind of like denver's scheme and rbs. same should be the case with petrino and a qb.

with his qb friendly offense that can even make joey harrington look good with protection, we should be able to get a qb in the 2nd round.

the most important thing which his system cannot control is the protection which is why we should try to get the best ot that we possibly can.

michael oher in the 1st.

if petrino is the real deal he shouldn't need brohm. kind of like denver's scheme and rbs. same should be the case with petrino and a qb.

with his qb friendly offense that can even make joey harrington look good with protection, we should be able to get a qb in the 2nd round.

the most important thing which his system cannot control is the protection which is why we should try to get the best ot that we possibly can.

michael oher in the 1st.

c/s

very nice

woodson (mechanical, an issue that can be addressed) >>>> brohm (weak arm + durability issues, cannot be addressed)

blink.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

where do you get off that brohm is injury prone?

michael oher in the 1st.

nope, we need a qb first. then ol w/the next 2 picks.

b/c harrington isn't the answer.

can't disagree w/that, but qb is our top need along w/ol and thus, should be our first pick.

how can you say the talent isnt much different from the 1st to the 2nd as far as qbs go, and then say we should just take one in the 1st anyways? if the talent level is equal then the value in the 2nd is lightyears better than getting one in the 1st.

that just doesnt make sense.

id go for bpa in the first, whether that is lauranaitis, oher, brohm, jonathan stewart... it doesnt matter to me.

how can you say the talent isnt much different from the 1st to the 2nd as far as qbs go, and then say we should just take one in the 1st anyways? if the talent level is equal then the value in the 2nd is lightyears better than getting one in the 1st.

that just doesnt make sense.

id go for bpa in the first, whether that is lauranaitis, oher, brohm, jonathan stewart... it doesnt matter to me.

i want bpa at a position of greatest need, which is qb/ol. which imo is brohm/ryan.