colt brennan

Big Duke 6

colt brennan

qb, hawaii

war room analysis

strengths: is super smart. reads defenses in a flash, and consistently makes the correct decision with the ball. is poised in the pocket, and does not get flustered if it collapses. moves nicely in the pocket, and steps up to avoid wide rushers. shows a quick release. has the arm strength to make all nfl throws with zip and accuracy. is an outstanding leader. is tough; played through a painful ankle injury in '07.

weaknesses: lacks ideal height and uses a 3/4-arm, dart-like throwing motion -- gets a number of passes tipped at the line. plays primarily in a run-and-shoot offense, throwing short passes out of the shotgun formation -- will have a big adjustment to fit in a traditional nfl offense. needs a lot of work on his footwork during dropback. must better protect the ball when under duress.

bottom line: brennan, who almost stayed in the '07 draft, has put himself into position to be a first-round pick in '08. he must overcome the stigma attached to run-and-shoot quarterbacks because previous ones (i.e. david klingler and andre ware) flamed out quickly in the nfl. brennan's lack of height and throwing motion are concerns, but he has the athletic ability, arm strength, accuracy and poise to become a nfl starter. he won't help much as a rookie because of the big adjustment an nfl offense, but in time he will develop into a productive nfl quarterback who makes plays in key situations.

our offense is designed to put up numbers. i don't understand why people want to talk that down. it's funny because i watch some of the guys, the brady quinns, the brian brohms from louisville, and they get credited for big games when they throw for 280 yards and two touchdowns. hawaii qb colt brennan

laugh.gif

i believe 6'4" or 6'5" is ideal... not that there is a huge difference in an inch of height. length and girth are what matter most.

laugh.gif

brennan is 6'3" with a very odd throwing motion that does not take advantage of his height. i guess you could say he plays short. would need mechanics overhaul in nfl. the throwing motion with the poor footwork will be why he drops to the second day.

do yall really think colt is 6'3"? obviously. we wont know until either the senior bowl or combine.... but that guy doesnt look 6'3". he looks 3 inches shorter than that.

i dont think he has an nfl arm, and give me a freaking break on his decision making. he throws 15 tunnell screens a game. he may throw 1 pass a game that is 40 yards in air...if that. i've seen him play,.... timmy changesque...

the guy should have played at a bigger school/can't play against 2 and 3 star athletes and get a proper evaluation on the nfl level/the speed just isn't the same nor are the defensive schemes have to see him at the combine or a senior bowl game/right now woodson is worth a late first /high second/if brian brohm slides to the second i'd grab him /but dixon may be around in the third

if hawaii goes undefeated and make it to a bcs bowl and win, which is very possible, you people are kidding yourself if you think he lasts until the 3rd round. i really hope we can pick him with one of our second rounders. (keep losing houston!!!) i've watched a few of the top tier qbs and none have impressed me as much as this kid. not that i'd mind dixon or woodson. i just think we need to go ol or mcfadden with our 1st pick. but hey, i'd take a dhall for derek anderson right now.

i think that brennan would be a risk if he was picked in the first two rounds. he isn't a sure thing because the offense he plays in makes all qb's have inflated numbers. timmy chang is a good example of this, he can't even cut it in the cfl. yes, i agree that brennan has a lot more talent than chang but the run nad shoot doesn't translate to the nfl and really skews the numbers.

let the kid be a second stringer for a year or two and develop him. it's way riskier to get a brohm or a woodson in the first and start him after leftwich snaps his ankle after the first quarter of the first pre-season game. if we go ol first and find decent free agent qb, brennan would be a must have 2nd rounder. lets face it ,we got schaub in the 3rd, we'll never get that lucky again. we'll be lucky if we get brennan as an early second rounder, especially with so few good qbs in this league.

run and shoot offense<4th round project. dude id rather get a 4th round project qb, than a system qb like colt. the run and shoot offense is supose to put up big numbers. dude throws it like 75 times in 1 game, and has 4-5 wide sets all the time, and no tes/fbs in the run and shoot.

there is a sad state of affairs with qbs in the league right now.when was the last qb to throw for 4 or 5 thousand yards year in and year out?scoring is not a bad thing.they dont run 5 wide they run a red gun basically.4 wide shotgun with a runningback.who knows how he will do at the next level?maybe june jones.he has been both places.

do yall really think colt is 6'3"? obviously. we wont know until either the senior bowl or combine.... but that guy doesnt look 6'3". he looks 3 inches shorter than that.

i dont think he has an nfl arm, and give me a freaking break on his decision making. he throws 15 tunnell screens a game. he may throw 1 pass a game that is 40 yards in air...if that. i've seen him play,.... timmy changesque...

how many hawaii games have you honestly watched? calling colt brennan "timy chang-esque" is like calling brian brohm chris redman-esque.

well, besides being incompetent on and off the field (his decision making is awful and he throws a lot of stupid interceptions that put his team in tight spots, now that la tech or smu is going to erupt offensively when given a chance), putting up numbers throwing the ball 70 times against the worst defenses in di-a (even worse than the lower pac-10 teams) combining lack of size and a side throwing motion that is destined to fail in the nfl, not even making it in colorado, and managing to almost lose to more than one really bad team, i can totally understand why people want to blow a pick on him on the first day. though he lacks any desirable physical or mental trait that would make him worthy of one of the first 100 picks in the draft, he sure throws a lot of touchdowns and his team is undefeated, no one can question such a battle-tested leader and an unbeaten team, no matter who they played against, i'm sure he would throw five touchdowns against lsu or ohio state, too. laugh.gif

let the kid be a second stringer for a year or two and develop him. it's way riskier to get a brohm or a woodson in the first and start him after leftwich snaps his ankle after the first quarter of the first pre-season game. if we go ol first and find decent free agent qb, brennan would be a must have 2nd rounder. lets face it ,we got schaub in the 3rd, we'll never get that lucky again. we'll be lucky if we get brennan as an early second rounder, especially with so few good qbs in this league.

if we won't ever be lucky enough to get a quarterback as bad as schaub again, we really are doomed. he's been outplayed in houston and he creates no offense when he doesn't have andre.

if we could get mcfadden in the first, then colt with one of our 2nds and a good ol with the other, that would be a ridiculously good draft.

i'm not all that sure he will be around in the second, pre season he was ranked #3 behind brohm and keller. and i'm also concerned about the comments on his throwing motion. although i have not seen him play, i believe june jones (ergo the run and shoot) is still the coach at hawaii and i know he would have corrected the throwing motion if he felt it needed changing, so maybe it's not as bad as reported.

i don't know if he's right for the falcons are not but if hawaii makes the bcs i do not believe he will be around in the second. have you seen the reports on how desperate many teams are for qbs i believe i saw that over 75 (more than 2 per team) have already played this year. there just aren't many post college qbs out there! otherwise wouldn't nc have found someone besides vinny t.