4 round mock draft, first i've ever done.

farmer

take it a little easy on me, this is the first mock i've ever done. i'm guessing we'll be picking in the 6-10 range and added an extra 3rd comp pick for kearney.

rd 1. jake long ot michigan - i also like glenn dorsey, but no way he falls to us. long fills our biggest need and we get good value at the 6-10 spot with the best ot in the draft.

rd 2. alex boone ot ohio state - let the flaming begin!! yes i'm suggesting back to back ot. we start long at lt and boone at rt, combined with blaylock, we now have anchors on our line for the next 10yrs.

rd 2b. red bryant dt texas a&m - underwent season ending knee surgery last year, but he's 6'5" 225...need i say more.

rd 3. jdb or colt brennan - i'm not a huge fan of either, but we need a qb of the future, why not take a shot with a 3rd rounder.

rd 3b. jamar adams ss michigan - st player and eventual replacement for milloy

rd 4. best kicker on our board.

the only fa addition i'll add to this mock is michael turner at rb splitting carries with norwood.

well, there it is, let the flaming commence.

i would like oher, but... he's only marginally better than the guys we can get in the 2nd. there won't be any qb of brohm's caliber in the 2nd.

call me crazy but am i the only one that thinks oher may slip down to the early 2nd? i don't know something just tells me he will slip down into the early 2nd.

no, but he's still gonna bust imo.

brohm is the way to go at qb for the falcons. you draft for your system and coach and brohm fits both of those w.the falcons to a t.

imo the best fit for petrinos system is a roadgratting offensive line. if that's not our focus this offseason, it won't matter who our qb is.

i think brennen has more upside than jdb but i still think brennen would need a lot of work to start in the nfl (at least a year).

if it means using our 1st pick and missing out on a stud ot, i don't feel comfortable hearing that.

we can get just as good an ot in the 2nd w/both of our picks there.

but our first 3 picks need to be qb/ol/ol or some combo of that.

but if the falcons draft, say 5th or 6th and brohm is sitting there, they'll take him. petrino will tell mckay it's him or trade down. they'd be crazy not to take brohm if he's sitting there.

imo the best fit for petrinos system is a roadgratting offensive line. if that's not our focus this offseason, it won't matter who our qb is.

i agree, but you can work on both this year by drafting brohm and also drafting ol. brohm is the best fit to run this offense.

plus, brohm won't play next year anyway, but the new olinemen will, so they'll have a year under their belts(blalock 2) when brohm steps in in '09 and they'll keep him upright and you'll have your franchise qb and your franchise oline for the next decade.

see also: rex grossman, phillip rivers, chad pennington, byron leftwich (in jax), tarvaris jackson, matt leinart

rivers - i'd be happy with him

leinart - i'd be happy with him

grossman - no offense what so ever, and thinks he's tom brady.

pennington - can't throw the ball past 20yds

jackson - not an nfl starting quality qb

leftwich - was a good qb but is way too fragile.

i thought the stud ol was supposed to make them great?

a great ol will will make a good qb great. is it coincidence that the best two qb's in the league have always had the best o lines? is it coincidence that bulger goes to the probowl last year, loses his o line this year and goes down himself? is it coincidence that the browns focus their offseason on the oline and a qb we've never heard of has a probowl year?

well, we don't have either a good qb or a great oline. let's take brohm in the 1st and loadholt in the 2nd and be on our way to both.

my main point with this mock is that we need more than one more olineman upgrade. i'll be happy if we go qb/ot/ot or

ot/qb/ot or whatever combo. i just think we need a stud dt as bad as we need a qb. (i apologize, b/c i know this will spark a whole new debate between us) either way, i'd be happy as long as there is some kind of focus on our o line.

while your draft is getting a lot of love from guys who want ol(even when this draft is chock full of ot's), i dont like

it one bit... smile.gif

we are rebuilding and should be drafting to our strengths and also upgrading the trenches...

not nearly enough defense for my liking, and there are some decent fa ol available next year as well. we do not have

to go nuts on ol in this draft! i agree we need to find a suitable lt and maybe a g, but the rt/rg can be found via fa.

i would be happier if the our 1st pick went on d... dorsey/laurinaitis and then picked up a lt in the second, and a qb

with the other 2nd...

yeah, marcus mcneil is horrible...

sam baker at southern cal was ranked above jake long at pre season what happened to him?

george bussey louisville guard was ranked #8 at ot pre season and he would know bp's system.

and barton at ohio state was ranked quite high as well.

there are others out there

but if available i would go long, baker, oher(if he declares)

while your draft is getting a lot of love from guys who want ol(even when this draft is chock full of ot's), i dont like

it one bit... smile.gif

we are rebuilding and should be drafting to our strengths and also upgrading the trenches...

not nearly enough defense for my liking, and there are some decent fa ol available next year as well. we do not have

to go nuts on ol in this draft! i agree we need to find a suitable lt and maybe a g, but the rt/rg can be found via fa.

i would be happier if the our 1st pick went on d... dorsey/laurinaitis and then picked up a lt in the second, and a qb

with the other 2nd...

don't get me wrong, if dorsey is there when we pick, i'll be doing cartwheels. i just don't see it as a possiblity. i'd also be happy with drafting a starting lt and picking up a rg/rt in fa. the thing is, we won't be able to fill all our holes in one offseason, so no matter how we draft, there are still going to be some major holes.

i thought the stud ol was supposed to make them great?

rivers looked great last year, he's having a down year along with every other facet of the chargers team with the entirely new staff there.

leinart - cardinals have never had a stud ol, but they are working on it. leinart wasn't a great qb, but he's also had very limited opportunity.

grossman - he's very inconsistent, but he's played like a great qb at times. and, he's played well enough to get his team to a superbowl, hard to argue with that.

pennington - jets ol is not a stud ol.

jackson - you've got to at least be an nfl quality qb, but again, with jackson, he's has very limited opportunities to get on the field. like leinart, do you really judge a qb's ability on just 8 - 10 nfl starts?

leftwich - solid ol in jax, but never stud while leftwich was there.

don't get me wrong, if dorsey is there when we pick, i'll be doing cartwheels. i just don't see it as a possiblity. i'd also be happy with drafting a starting lt and picking up a rg/rt in fa. the thing is, we won't be able to fill all our holes in one offseason, so no matter how we draft, there are still going to be some major holes.

i look at it like this... what can we draft to have maximum impact? dorsey #1... laurinaitis #2...

both fill needs and can turn a #15 ranked defense into a #5 ranked defense and beyond...

do i want a stud lt? of course, but i dont think there is a stud lt in the top 5. this draft is mega deep in ol, we

will get our 'fix' in round 2. bank on it.

you and i may be the only ones on here that would be happy with oher.

not true. smile.gif

anyways, i think long goes higher than that, because with st. louis and miami both drafting 1 and 2, they both have ol needs, and i dont see them passing on long to cross one of those needs off their list.

anyways, i had back to back ots in the 2nd round in my mock too man, dont worry about it. tongue.gif

call me crazy but am i the only one that thinks oher may slip down to the early 2nd? i don't know something just tells me he will slip down into the early 2nd.

can't tell, too early. it will depend on many factors including oher's combine performance, the number of junior offensive tackles that declare, and his performance for the rest of his games this year. i highly doubt oher will declare, i am still hopeful though.

i look at it like this... what can we draft to have maximum impact? dorsey #1... laurinaitis #2...

both fill needs and can turn a #15 ranked defense into a #5 ranked defense and beyond...

do i want a stud lt? of course, but i dont think there is a stud lt in the top 5. this draft is mega deep in ol, we

will get our 'fix' in round 2. bank on it.

i have to agree with this. as badly as i'd like to see this franchise drafting more o-linemen in the first 3 rounds, i think we're going to try to solve our o-line issues through free agency. be honest: there are better o-linemen available in free agency this season than there are dts or mlbs. if we do go after an ot in the draft, i think it will be with one of the two 2nd round picks. our 1st round pick is almost certainly going to be qb or hb ... but who knows what can happen between now and april. wink.gif we might draft a freaking wr again. laugh.gif

take it a little easy on me, this is the first mock i've ever done. i'm guessing we'll be picking in the 6-10 range and added an extra 3rd comp pick for kearney.

rd 1. jake long ot michigan - i also like glenn dorsey, but no way he falls to us. long fills our biggest need and we get good value at the 6-10 spot with the best ot in the draft.

rd 2. alex boone ot ohio state - let the flaming begin!! yes i'm suggesting back to back ot. we start long at lt and boone at rt, combined with blaylock, we now have anchors on our line for the next 10yrs.

rd 2b. red bryant dt texas a&m - underwent season ending knee surgery last year, but he's 6'5" 225...need i say more.

rd 3. jdb or colt brennan - i'm not a huge fan of either, but we need a qb of the future, why not take a shot with a 3rd rounder.

rd 3b. jamar adams ss michigan - st player and eventual replacement for milloy

rd 4. best kicker on our board.

the only fa addition i'll add to this mock is michael turner at rb splitting carries with norwood.

well, there it is, let the flaming commence.

i like the long pick. the more peeople that realize the importance of the oline the better. i will say this however; i don't think mckay would draft two ot's in a row. i have heard him say repeatedly that he doesn't like to invest two much money in one position (i am referecing patrick kerney not mv7). i think it is important to invest 2 first day picks in oline but i think it is more reistic to assume a 1st and 3rd. i would love to see jake long come in and be an immediate starter, and then us draft jeff otah from pittsburgh or phil loadholt from oklahoma (if he declares), to come in and learn behind weiner and take over about halfway through the year.

i am not so sure about red bryant, because the few times i have seen texas a&m play this year they were gashed up the middle. obviously the coaches know more then i do, so if they feel he could come in and clog up the middle i would be more then happy to have him.

i am still undecided about colt brennan. judging by his numbers the past few years he sounds like a no brainier; however, i watched him play san jose st. and was not impressed. i will give him the benefit of the doubt because the conditions were horrible. i am going to make it a point to watch him play tonight. i think everyone should before they make a decision about him.