brohm

Big Duke 6

brian brohm

qb, louisville

war room analysis

strengths: is big, and has a strong arm -- makes all nfl throws with zip and accuracy. shows great throwing technique with footwork and delivery. shows a quick release. passes burst out of his hand and reach receivers in a flash. stays relaxed and poised in the pocket; doesn't panic under pressure and throw passes up for grabs. excels at moving around in the pocket to avoid sacks; has the size and strength to make strong throws with defenders grabbing at him. can pull the ball down and scramble for a first down when needed, and is not afraid to lower shoulder and fight for yardage.

weaknesses: struggled to stay healthy in college. missed games with variety of dings but biggest was torn acl sustained late in the '05 season. injured wrist early in '06 season and had surgery sept. 17. in '07, tried so hard to make every play to compensate for louisville's terrible defense; made some bad decisions and forced some passes which were intercepted. occasionally stares down his primary receiver, allowing defenders to close quickly and make plays on the ball. sometimes gets a little deliberate with throwing motion, slowing down just enough to allow defensive linemen to tip passes. is too quiet, and must learn to take command of a team.

bottom line: considering brohm is the son of a coach and his brother coaches him at louisville, it is no shock that he has great footwork and technique and just about never makes a bad decision with the ball; although he has made a few trying to carry louisville on his back in '07. he shows the athleticism to avoid sacks, the strong and accurate arm to make all the throws and the mind to minimize mistakes. brohm has all the tools to be a great nfl starter who will be ready to play early in his pro career.

career statistics

passing rushing

team cmp. att. pct. yds. avg. td int. rat. att. yds. avg. td

'04 louisville 66 98 67.3 819 8.4 6 2 153.7 27 141 5.2 2

'05 louisville 207 301 68.8 2883 9.6 19 5 166.7 41 96 2.3 4

'06 louisville 199 313 63.6 3049 9.7 16 5 159.1 47 163 3.5 0

'07 louisville 251 368 68.2 3229 8.8 26 7 161.4 36 61 1.7 1

totals

i think this kid is as good as perfect situation that you can fit for a team. i think that he has the same thing for him that was what alot of people thought about brady quinn last year. quinn never won the big game made some mistakes late in games. but i have always thought as i did last year for quinn, these teams had no defense and those qb's have to over compensate for that.

left tackle. brohm is good because of petrino, so why dont we let petrino work with dj shockley, and see what he can do. remember petrino is known for his ability to develop qbs.

so here's a question: if the draft rolls around and we draft brian brohm (or any other quarterback), it will be because our coaches and front office staff don't have confidence that shockley can be the franchise guy for us. if that happens, will you stop asking the same question over and over again, or will you just attack the coaches and front office staff for not believing as you do that shockley is the best thing to hit the nfl since the forward pass?

as for the topic at hand, i'd be fine with brohm. he's got all the tools and would have a much shorter learning curve than any other qb we could draft due to his history with petrino. i think he could be very good for us if we put an offensive line in front of him (which would have to become a priority if we draft a qb in the first).

direwolf

he has seemed to suffer from "brett farve syndrome" trying to carry a bad team this season. but he is the real deal as an nfl prospect.

...and the falcons won't be bad next year?

if we take a qb in round one i want brohm. i think he is the most likely to be eilte in the nfl.

what makes you say he is most likely?

i have my doubts about taking a qb in the first. i just don't see mckay wanting to spend the big money for a high qb pick again. plus petrino is known for his ability to develop a qb, so why take one so early? i like brohm but i just don't see it happening. bp hasn't exactly been jumping the gun to draft any of his former players either.

i have my doubts about taking a qb in the first. i just don't see mckay wanting to spend the big money for a high qb pick again. plus petrino is known for his ability to develop a qb, so why take one so early? i like brohm but i just don't see it happening. bp hasn't exactly been jumping the gun to draft any of his former players either.

you can't win in the nfl without a great qb or a ridiculous defense. i hope the falcons continue to take the bpa. i think our knew coaching staff will do a lot better job at developing talent.

i have my doubts about taking a qb in the first. i just don't see mckay wanting to spend the big money for a high qb pick again.

if we get a high draft slot, we're going to pay a boatload of money for somebody. top five money is top five money no matter what position you take.

so which position do you see him "spending the big money for"? wr? fb? og? mlb?