mock draft action!

falconva7

i'm giving us an extra 3rd rounder for patrick kerney.

1 - darren mcfadden - rb, arkansas

i can't stress enough that we need to take the best player available at our first pick. i'm assuming long and dorsey will be gone, and if they are, mcfadden is the next best prospect. that said, i think we'll be picking high enough to take him and the teams that will be ahead of us have greater needs than a rb. i think st. louis, miami, and san fransisco are set at rb. one team that might take mcfadden is new york, but they could also go in another direction as well. with norwood and dmac we will have one of the best (and youngest) rb tandems in the nfl. i don't even think we need to cut warrick dunn, we could use him as a 3rd down back similar to how ne uses kevin faulk. dunn would also be a good mentor to have around for the younger guys.

alternates: glenn dorsey - dt, lsu, jake long - ot, michigan, michael oher - ot, ole miss.

2 - tony hills - ot, texas

after we take the best player in round 1 we need to take the best lt in round 2. with hills next to justin blalock we finally have the left side of our line set for years to come. we've needed to draft a franchise lt for a while now and i think we'll find one in round 1 or 2 of this draft because it is so deep at ot.

alternates: gosder cherilus - ot, boston college, barry richardson - ot, clemson

2 - eric young - og, tennessee

keeping up with this sexy draft we're going to take another offensive linemen with our 2nd round pick! woo! i've noticed that kynan forney, who was once our best linemen, has kind of slipped off recently. maybe it's because of the recurring injuries, i don't know, but we need to continue getting younger and better on the ol. if we don't take a guard here i think we should take the best rt to play on the opposite side of hills.

alternates: roy schuening - og, oregon state, barry richardson - ot, clemson, shannon tevaga - og, ucla

3 - colt brennan - qb, hawaii

here's our qb of the future. i think he will slip to round 3 and that's where we will pick him up. i think he would fit well in petrino's offense because he is used to running a spread offense at hawaii. for those who want to call him a system qb, i'm not even saying we should draft him because of his numbers. we should draft him because of his play. watch a hawaii game (and i'm sure most of the colt haters have not watched a hawaii game) and tell me you are not amazed by how freakishly accurate this kid is. not only does he have an extremely accurate arm, but he is also really good at reading defenses.

3 - ben moffitt - mlb, south florida

i'm pretty sure that either demorrio williams or keith brooking will not be with us next season. if demorrio leaves i'm betting brooking gets moved out to the will linebacker position and that opens up a need for a mlb. enter ben moffitt, who is having a great year with south florida. i think with boley and brooking to help teach him he could turn into a stud mlb. i think moffitt will be good, but i'd much rather have jasper brinkley (who might actually slip to this pick because of the season-ending injury he had).

alternates: jasper brinkley - mlb, south carolina

4 - red bryant - dt, texas a&m

it's always hard to judge where defensive tackles are going to go in the draft. almost every year there is one that slips down much farther than people thought they would go. last year it was alan branch who fell and the year before it was gabe watson. i think frank okam could take a similar fall this year. that said, i think red bryant could be the big-bodied nt we need to go into a rotation with trey lewis. this and the ben moffitt pick will help us strengthen our interior defense.

alternates: frank okam - dt, texas, dre moore - dt, maryland

5 - brandon coutu - k, georgia

oh for the love of god, can we please just draft a kicker and not panic and have to sign morten andersen right before the season starts? stop with the michael koenen experiment, stop thinking you're going to find some diamond in the rough (matt prater!?), and stop relying on a guy who's almost older than our gm! i love mort, but can we please just draft a kicker?!

alternates: art carmody - k, louisville

6 - dexter jackson - wr, appalachian state

if this kid is available this late i will actually be surprised, but he looked flat-out amazing against michigan. he flew by everyone and was very productive as a wr. i think he can return kicks too and if anyone has been watching football the past 2 years you know the increased value of kick/punt returners. i think we can all admit that adam jennings' abilities as a returner were greatly exaggerated.

alternates: i have no idea, it's the sixth round!

7 - jeff cavender - c, boise state

i don't really know anything about this guy but he has decent size and i think he can play all the positions on the offensive line (like doug datish) so he's versatile. i'm not even sure if he'll be around this late. it's the 7th round, i just hope we take the best player available!

alternates: bpa!

what do you guys think??

it's awful!

no, kidding. it looks good, and could possibly work out that way. brennan isn't my favorite qb in the 3rd (possibly josh johnson right there). as for the og position, if we are going to take one in the 2nd, i'd much rather get grimes, who imo, is the best g in this draft.

it's awful!

no, kidding. it looks good, and could possibly work out that way. brennan isn't my favorite qb in the 3rd (possibly josh johnson right there). as for the og position, if we are going to take one in the 2nd, i'd much rather get grimes, who imo, is the best g in this draft.

grimes huh? i'm gonna be honest, i don't think any of us have watched enough of some of these guys we want to draft, but i used scott wright's rankings to make my draft. i'd be fine with grimes or young or tevaga or anyone. basically i'm just trying to show that we need to really address the ol early in the draft. thanks for the compliments and the criticism! smile.gif

grimes huh? i'm gonna be honest, i don't think any of us have watched enough of some of these guys we want to draft, but i used scott wright's rankings to make my draft. i'd be fine with grimes or young or tevaga or anyone. basically i'm just trying to show that we need to really address the ol early in the draft. thanks for the compliments and the criticism! smile.gif

i agree with that. a lot of us, including myself, haven't seen enough of some players to really have a valid judgment. personally, i try to only comment on guys i've actually watched (long, mcfadden, dorsey, dixon, etc), but we can't always be perfect tongue.gif . from what i've seen of grimes, the guy just absolutely dominants the los.

i agree with that. a lot of us, including myself, haven't seen enough of some players to really have a valid judgment. personally, i try to only comment on guys i've actually watched (long, mcfadden, dorsey, dixon, etc), but we can't always be perfect tongue.gif . from what i've seen of grimes, the guy just absolutely dominants the los.

yeah, i am going to have to agree with atl. colt thows from the side and is not tall enough, ala bernie kosar, to be able to make it work in the nfl. i think he will be a bust.

not crazy about the og selection. i would take grimes there as well. but besides that, it is a good draft. i would go for it.

yeah, i am going to have to agree with atl. colt thows from the side and is not tall enough, ala bernie kosar, to be able to make it work in the nfl. i think he will be a bust.

not crazy about the og selection. i would take grimes there as well. but besides that, it is a good draft. i would go for it.

yeah i'd be happy with grimes or young, again my point is that i think we need 2 out of our first 4 picks to be offensive linemen. and i also try to pick players that i've seen play.

also about colt's throwing much and height --> drew brees is short (he's doing ok) and phillip rivers, bernie kosar, and even michael vick had a little bit of a sidearm throw and they all did fine. i think a lot of people think that a qb is literally throwing right over an offensive linemen's head, which isn't usually the case. a lot of people on here forget about throwing lanes on a pass play. without throwing lanes it would be hard for peyton manning to throw the ball because any good defensive linemen would bat the pass down.

with how accurate colt is, i could care less if the ball comes out sidearm.

yeah i'd be happy with grimes or young, again my point is that i think we need 2 out of our first 4 picks to be offensive linemen. and i also try to pick players that i've seen play.

also about colt's throwing much and height --> drew brees is short (he's doing ok) and phillip rivers, bernie kosar, and even michael vick had a little bit of a sidearm throw and they all did fine. i think a lot of people think that a qb is literally throwing right over an offensive linemen's head, which isn't usually the case. a lot of people on here forget about throwing lanes on a pass play. without throwing lanes it would be hard for peyton manning to throw the ball because any good defensive linemen would bat the pass down.

with how accurate colt is, i could care less if the ball comes out sidearm.

thing is, his throwing motion is more than sidearm. it's just too..over exaggerated? can't think of a better word, so hope that came out right tongue.gif . he is pretty accurate, but that motion just scares me. what i think goose was trying to say was that his height makes that motion even more of a concern.

here is my take on colt brennan, and he is the reason why i think your mock fails:

brennan may end up being a good qb, maybe even great, in time. key word: time.

brennan is just too raw. if we even assume he isn't a system qb, he still only knows the one system he is, which does not translate at all to the nfl. he will need to spend a lot of time learning the nfl game and polishing his skills.

if you want time, buy the magazine. this franchise does not have time. we are one good draft away from being interesting, and two away from contending. we have some pieces, have a enough picks in the next draft to address several holes, and could be pretty good in a 2-3 years. even then, i don't think colt will be ready to lead this franchise.

here is my take on colt brennan, and he is the reason why i think your mock fails:

brennan is just too raw. if we even assume he isn't a system qb, he still only knows the one system he is, which does not translate at all to the nfl. he will need to spend a lot of time learning the nfl game and polishing his skills.

if you want time, buy the magazine. this franchise does not have time. we are one good draft away from being interesting, and two away from contending. we have some pieces, have a enough picks in the next draft to address several holes, and could be pretty good in a 2-3 years. even then, i don't think colt will be ready to lead this franchise.

i don't see how you could think that we are 2 drafts away from contending. we literally have nothing on offense. no line, no qb, no wrs, we have a rb who might be good or might not be able to carry the load. you can't just bring in a bunch of rookies and expect them to play like pro bowlers and fix everything. it's going to take time to fix this franchise.

it doesn't matter who bring in to be our qb right now, peyton manning wouldn't be able to win with the supporting cast we have on offense.

they also said that it would take time before vince young was good, but he's doing ok.

i don't see how you could think that we are 2 drafts away from contending. we literally have nothing on offense. no line, no qb, no wrs, we have a rb who might be good or might not be able to carry the load. you can't just bring in a bunch of rookies and expect them to play like pro bowlers and fix everything. it's going to take time to fix this franchise.

it doesn't matter who bring in to be our qb right now, peyton manning wouldn't be able to win with the supporting cast we have on offense.

i agree with you about time, but that is about it.

our wr situation, which was such a weakspot over the years, is finally beginning to turn the corner. roddy white looks like the wr we drafted, and michael jenkins continues to show flashes of a clutch wr. i would prefer not to address wr in the next two drafts, and allow hue jackson to continue working his magic with the ones already on our roster.

second of all, our ol is a piece or two away from being decent. we desperately need a lt, no arguments there, but the other 4 are serviceable. i would like to see more depth at rt, allow doug datish to play c, and maybe a new rg, but up until this year kynan forney was the best ol on our team. we are not going to replace our ol over night.

so by drafting an ol or two this draft, and another ol or two next draft, and we should find ourselves in good shape as far as our ol is concerned.

scratch wr & ol off your list of arguments against my idea of contending in two years.

rb: jerious is a game breaker, but we certainly need someone to carry more of the load, and a power rb would do just that. not someone to supplement norwood, but complement him. we should be able to find a guy like that in the upcoming draft.

so scratch rb concerns off the list.

qb is another position we desperately need to improve at, but as my original argument indicates, i do not believe colt brennan is that guy. i believe we need a guy who will be ready to play asap, but hopefully we will have the luxury of allowing him to sit for an entire year before becoming our franchise guy.

thus far, if we follow my plan and draft 1-2 ol, a power rb, and an nfl-ready qb, we are taking a huge step towards being ready to contend. this would only be 3-4 picks, and considering we own at least 7, this is reasonable to devote this kind of attention toward our offensive flaws. given a year to gel and mature, and in two years we could see ourselves in good shape.

i realize that this is quite optimistic, but it is not unreasonable. i do not believe that colt brennan fits into these plans. although the new york jets are struggling right now, two years ago the addressed several concerns by drafting dabrickashaw ferguson, nick mangold, and kellen clemens in one draft. this solved several issues (issues that we also have), and the next year they were in the playoffs.

never say never.

i agree with you about time, but that is about it.

you are agreeing when i said that it's going to take time to fix this franchise when 3 posts ago you said:

if you want time, buy the magazine. this franchise does not have time.

blink.gif correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't you contradicting yourself pretty blatantly? that said, your argument is kind of strange. to think that we have one of the worst offensive lines in the nfl and all it's going to take to fix it is a lt? ok, maybe blalock will turn into a solid guard, but it's not like all the sacks are being given up off the left side. ever since forney's injuries he's lost a step, and he used to be the only good thing about our line. i agree when you say we're not going to replace it over night, but why not get started now, considering how this is one of the best drafts in a while in regards to offensive line prospects? we can get in the 2nd round of this year's draft a player who might be a first rounder next year. we need to revamp the entire line starting (and we can all agree on this) with the lt. i think ol is the biggest problem on this team and it has been for years so we have to address it early and often in this year's draft and probably in next year's draft as well (depending on what we do in free agency).

in regards to norwood you say we need a rb to compliment him. i agree, but if mcfadden is available we'd be dumb to not take the player who is clearly the best prospect in this year's draft. he is a gamebreaker and we don't really have much in terms of playmakers on offense.

wr - everyone loves to say that white + jenkins are going to turn into housh and cj with hue. that's wishful thinking in my opinion. although jenkins and white are serviceable i think we need to address this situation in fa as we have too many pressing needs to draft a wr high. i think they're decent, but our wrs right now are not dominant #1s and that is something the falcons haven't had in a long time.

i really don't see how your plan and my plan is different outside of the fact that you think colt brennan isn't an nfl-ready qb and i think he is (which is a totally subjective argument neither one of us can prove until brennan is in the nfl, in which case hindsight is always 20/20).

i like the draft dude, but there is not enough defense in it for my liking...

our d is one of our strong points and i personally would like to see it bolstered, and turned into a top nfl defense...

everyone is saying how we are rebuilding, and yet everyone wants to fill the needs we have right now. its just not the

way to go as far as im concerned. im fine with getting some pieces for the offense, but why do you feel the need to

try and address the o in one draft??

dmc would be a very nice pick up, but i would be hearing any offers other teams had for us before we drafted him...

jonathon stewart later in 1st sounds very good to me if the offer is right...

we are pretty thin at dt, so i would rather see a dt on day 2 instead of a wr...

i guess im on an island about the qb situation... i just dont think its a major priority, especially if we are picking one up

when better talent is available. i do not want to see the fo reach for any player in the next 2 drafts. if we are

rebuilding like everyone says we are, we should be getting the best talents available no matter what... if the bpa is

a position of need, even better... thats my opinion anyway...

i like the draft dude, but there is not enough defense in it for my liking...

our d is one of our strong points and i personally would like to see it bolstered, and turned into a top nfl defense...

everyone is saying how we are rebuilding, and yet everyone wants to fill the needs we have right now. its just not the

way to go as far as im concerned. im fine with getting some pieces for the offense, but why do you feel the need to

try and address the o in one draft??

dmc would be a very nice pick up, but i would be hearing any offers other teams had for us before we drafted him...

jonathon stewart later in 1st sounds very good to me if the offer is right...

we are pretty thin at dt, so i would rather see a dt on day 2 instead of a wr...

i guess im on an island about the qb situation... i just dont think its a major priority, especially if we are picking one up

when better talent is available. i do not want to see the fo reach for any player in the next 2 drafts. if we are

rebuilding like everyone says we are, we should be getting the best talents available no matter what... if the bpa is

a position of need, even better... thats my opinion anyway...

i have red bryant in the 4th round which is on day 2? you want a dt in the 4th and the 6th? seems like overkill.

i think with this draft we get a good mlb (moffitt) and a good dt to stick in the rotation (bryant) and then the rest of the holes we can fill in via free agency. i think chris houston will be decent enough to play on the other end of hall, who if we trade, by the way, will create nothing but more holes on defense. i don't think we're that far from being complete on d, we just need depth on the dl rotation and a stud mlb and we'll be good. that and we need jimmy and houston pan out. i don't buy the idea of getting someone to replace lawyer. we need a veteran presence in the secondary.

i mean you are right, this draft is real heavy on the offensive side of the ball, but i think overall this draft has a lot of talent on offense. this is one of the deepest ot and qb classes that i can remember, so why not take advantage of that?

i have red bryant in the 4th round which is on day 2? you want a dt in the 4th and the 6th? seems like overkill.

i think with this draft we get a good mlb (moffitt) and a good dt to stick in the rotation (bryant) and then the rest of the holes we can fill in via free agency. i think chris houston will be decent enough to play on the other end of hall, who if we trade, by the way, will create nothing but more holes on defense. i don't think we're that far from being complete on d, we just need depth on the dl rotation and a stud mlb and we'll be good. that and we need jimmy and houston pan out. i don't buy the idea of getting someone to replace lawyer. we need a veteran presence in the secondary.

i mean you are right, this draft is real heavy on the offensive side of the ball, but i think overall this draft has a lot of talent on offense. this is one of the deepest ot and qb classes that i can remember, so why not take advantage of that?

sorry dude... missed the bryant pick!! my bad smile.gif

i dont want to see deangelo go either, ill make that crystal clear...

if we have a shot at mcfadden id rather trade him off to the best offer... the more picks we have the better in the long

run imo... if dallas would pony up there 2 1sts, that would be a dream scenario for us, its doubtful but it is jerry jones

we would be dealing with...

i would love a scenario of laurinaitis/bryant or dorsey/moffit

i agree with your take on ss... next years draft will be deep, and we cant really afford to have an all rookie backfield...

you could always develop colt behind walker or anderson if we pick up one of them to compete with leftwich.

sorry dude... missed the bryant pick!! my bad smile.gif

i dont want to see deangelo go either, ill make that crystal clear...

if we have a shot at mcfadden id rather trade him off to the best offer... the more picks we have the better in the long

run imo... if dallas would pony up there 2 1sts, that would be a dream scenario for us, its doubtful but it is jerry jones

we would be dealing with...

i would love a scenario of laurinaitis/bryant or dorsey/moffit

i agree with your take on ss... next years draft will be deep, and we cant really afford to have an all rookie backfield...

no problem man! i really want dmac because i think he's a gamechanger and we need those kind of guys on offense because right now i don't think our o is scaring anyone. that said if we can get two first round picks and maybe pick up laurinitis and dorsey/oher that would be one **** of a draft as well. i feel like this draft is really deep at our positions of need (ot, qb, and dt to some extent) so we should be able to fill a lot of holes.

why do people just label a player a system qb and yet others are a "franchise" qb?

every qb is a system qb....brohm is a system qb and yet everybody wants him.

yeah, a lot of people forget that in louisville's system, chris redman and shane lefors were actually better than brohm, but the people who criticize brennan conveniently choose to ignore that. rolleyes.gif

agreed, which is why we need to draft brian brohm.