draft prediction!

dirtyjerk

i'm going to predict that we dont draft a qb earlier than 4th round. i'm guessing petrino and mckay are going to grab o-linemen and defensive needs early. on top of that their going to bank on a healthy byron leftwich being back and healthy for next season. mark my words between mckay weak drafting skills and petrino's inability to coach at the nfl level this coming draft will set the franchise back another 5 years! doubt me? how did we end up drafting a guy we never even worked out? i'm not going to call jamal anderson a bust like a lot of idiots on this board but at the same time i dont understand how the team didn't work out every single top 10 prospect in case someone fell.

i'm going to predict that we dont draft a qb earlier than 4th round. i'm guessing petrino and mckay are going to grab o-linemen and defensive needs early. on top of that their going to bank on a healthy byron leftwich being back and healthy for next season. mark my words between mckay weak drafting skills and petrino's inability to coach at the nfl level this coming draft will set the franchise back another 5 years! doubt me? how did we end up drafting a guy we never even worked out? i'm not going to call jamal anderson a bust like a lot of idiots on this board but at the same time i dont understand how the team didn't work out every single top 10 prospect in case someone fell.

i couldn't agree with you more about jamal anderson. i was 100% angry when we didn't get akoye. anderson wasn't even the best at his position.

maybe he hasn't had the game-breaking impact you guys were hoping for, but the guy hasn't had a "bad" season. and for a rookie starter, that's just fine with me. give him a couple of years before you start bad mouthing the guy. after being here so long, i don't know why i continue to allow myself to be surprised by the things i read.

the falcons didnt need a dt, they needed a de to replace pk. thats why the falcons took anderson over akoye.

yeah i'm not saying that we should've drafted akoye or that we shouldnt' have drafted anderson. just saying we should've worked anderson out beforehand to ensure thats who we wanted. as i understand it. petrino and mckay never even met him before.

i have studied the nfl draft a long time and one thing you can be sure of is nobody knows what will happen.including mckay,it is way to early.you will have people coming out of the wood work with the bowl games and senior bowl etc.then freeagency is huge.we could get a freeagent oline (ot) and leftwich could have a good year who knows......i really fell we will pick at 4 to 6 overall.who knows who will be there?

the falcons didnt need a dt, they needed a de to replace pk. thats why the falcons took anderson over akoye.

i don't care what position he played. i would not have passed up on a guy who gets admitted into college at 15 and graduates at 20. the young man is motivated and you can count on a guy like that showing up to practice on time, studying, going the extra mile, etc.

how are mckay's drafting skills "weak"? isn't he the same guy who brought us hall, boley, norwood, blalock, houston, schaub, babs, lewis, white (who i will admit wasn't good at all till this year), nicholas, demorrio, etc.

he also brought us jenkins (1st round), white (1st round), an injured abraham for a 1st rounder. his inability to get the team what it needed when we had a good team is what kept us from competing against the elite and robbed us of our chance at a superbowl. plus babs is a low profile dogkiller! sad but true. the outrage isn't there b/c he doesn't have a mv7 contract.

if you know anything about football, you win the game in the trenches. so i will not be angry if they drafted on the defensive and offensive lines. there willl always be good qbs in the draft. if you build the line now then when the qb gets here it would not be as hard for the qb to learn.

i agree with you almost completely. i just want to get the show on the road next year with a rookie qb. we will not start him right away which will give the time to develope the oline over a year or so. big justin was a second rounder. i don't think that you can count on guys like that to stick around that long but you know qbs shouldn't. i'm sure somebody will call me out on that one.

if you know anything about football, you win the game in the trenches. so i will not be angry if they drafted on the defensive and offensive lines. there willl always be good qbs in the draft. if you build the line now then when the qb gets here it would not be as hard for the qb to learn.

a perfect example is the tennessee titans. i don't care what anyone says, vince young is not currently a decent nfl qb but the titans are probably the most physical teamin the nfl and they have an excellent line on both sides of the ball.

for goodness sake can't the falcons finally figure out how to win in this league? follow pittsburgh's strategy or the titans strategy and build a team from inside out and front to back. please quit going for the "physical talent that will revolutionize the game" and just get the tough guys up front that matter the most anyway.

he also brought us jenkins (1st round), white (1st round), an injured abraham for a 1st rounder. his inability to get the team what it needed when we had a good team is what kept us from competing against the elite and robbed us of our chance at a superbowl. plus babs is a low profile dogkiller! sad but true. the outrage isn't there b/c he doesn't have a mv7 contract.

an injured abraham? dude is our best defensive player right now. that 1st round pick was quite worth it, if you ask me. if you read, i did mention white, who is quietly turning into the #1 option on our team.

i'm guessing petrino and mckay are going to grab o-linemen and defensive needs early. mark my words between mckay weak drafting skills and petrino's inability to coach at the nfl level this coming draft will set the franchise back another 5 years!

you're posts are almost as baseless and delusional as vick75's ramblings about duckett being a pro-bowler, dunn being the curse of the franchise, and we should have traded years worth of draft picks for calvin johnson.

a perfect example is the tennessee titans. i don't care what anyone says, vince young is not currently a decent nfl qb but the titans are probably the most physical teamin the nfl and they have an excellent line on both sides of the ball.

for goodness sake can't the falcons finally figure out how to win in this league? follow pittsburgh's strategy or the titans strategy and build a team from inside out and front to back. please quit going for the "physical talent that will revolutionize the game" and just get the tough guys up front that matter the most anyway.

im with you in the sence that you have to get the horses upfront but i hardly think i would use the titans franchise as the model.

abraham was worth a first rounder in my eyes. jenkins and white, i'll have to say they haven't lived up to the 1st round picks but they are working on it. as far as him robbing somebody of a super bowl, you can lay that squarely in coach happy's lap as far as i'm concerned. he and his band of merry men were what broke this team. the only reason he ever won the first year was because dan reeves put a good team together and all he had to do was drive the bus. once they started drafting players we went to ###### and with their coaching skills we stayed ###### and only got worse as the years progressed.

now we have to rebuild our team because "the player that shall remain nameless" shot us a good old fashioned stiff one and our previous coaches had to go into the witness protection program.

abraham was worth a first rounder in my eyes. jenkins and white, i'll have to say they haven't lived up to the 1st round picks but they are working on it. as far as him robbing somebody of a super bowl, you can lay that squarely in coach happy's lap as far as i'm concerned. he and his band of merry men were what broke this team. the only reason he ever won the first year was because dan reeves put a good team together and all he had to do was drive the bus. once they started drafting players we went to ###### and with their coaching skills we stayed ###### and only got worse as the years progressed.

now we have to rebuild our team because "the player that shall remain nameless" shot us a good old fashioned stiff one and our previous coaches had to go into the witness protection program.

mora was a puppet for the most part. mckay made the draft decisions. i don't think abraham was worth a 1st rounder. im not saying hes not a good player but he was hurt all last year and hes getting older. i dont think hes going to be able to contribute for much longer.

mora was a puppet for the most part. mckay made the draft decisions. i don't think abraham was worth a 1st rounder. im not saying hes not a good player but he was hurt all last year and hes getting older. i dont think hes going to be able to contribute for much longer.

dude is only 29...

i don't know how good a job mckay has done but i read where some of you say he did and some say he missed on some. well my take on is that his job is hit/miss by nature, where you want to hit more then you miss.

i would think as good/bad as any guy looks in college or even inhe nfl their are no assurances his going to do well on your team. i was surprised to read that the falcons never worked jamal out, but i for one think this rookie will be fine. not every top 10 turns into a stud in year one, but they should contribute and i think jamal is even if his stats don't reflect it just yet.

finally the whole issue of picking a qb or ol/dl guys for me comes down to this. we have gone for the star positions for some years now with mixed results. why not change up in 2008 and focus on those areas first while with a plan to address qb/db/wr opportunities if they present themselves. i think a number of falcons fans would be on board with that approach and support it no matter how it turned out.

he still has a good 3 or 4 years left in him. he has remained healthy this year and he and boley have been our best players all year long. and we didnt give up a first rounder for him we traded down about 15 spots to about pick 30, so to even say we gave up a first rounder is completely wrong. and btw that right there is a good reason why mckay is valubale due to the fact that we didnt have to give up schaub and out first for abraham.

the draft is what separates the elite franchises from the rest of the mediocre bunch, the falcon's being at the very bottom of the barrel. it's been a disaster since this sorry franchise was born 42 years ago.

lmao @ not drafting a qb.

i think it's pretty clear that we will get petrino a qb of the future in this draft.

he did not come here thinking his future qb was joey harrington. im sure he's aware of how durable (or lack there of) leftwich is.

we will get a qb with either our 1st/2nd pick.

i just hope it's with our 2nd pick