should you pick franchise player over needs

just curious...........gimme your insight

isn't the definition of a franchise player the "one you plan your franchise around"?.

maybe not to the extent of michael vick, but a franchise guy would change your needs, so this question is almost irrelevent.

it is like "which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

"which comes first, the star player or the supporting cast?"

the only position i would even call a "franchise" position is qb because they are so important, and even that's a reach in football because it takes so much more than 1 player to win. the nfl is not the nba. so the question is "would you take a franchise qb over needs?" well. that's a pretty dumb question since any team that doesn't have a franchise qb needs one. laugh.gif

don't make dumb threads.

the only position i would even call a "franchise" position is qb because they are so important, and even that's a reach in football because it takes so much more than 1 player to win. the nfl is not the nba. so the question is "would you take a franchise qb over needs?" well. that's a pretty dumb question since any team that doesn't have a franchise qb needs one. laugh.gif

don't make dumb threads.

look dude.....we have two first rd picks on our qb depth right now so if you call those franchise players you're the dummy... and for the record you try having a quarterback with no reciever, or lineman and see which is the most important to call franchise....let me slow it down for you....the center lineman hikes the ball to the qb, protects him, then the wr gets open, the qb throws and then wr catches.....now if these players aren't important enough to be call franchise players, then you start a football with only a qb and see if he runs then catch his own pass after dodging four grizzle defensive tackles. wink.gifwink.gif

just curious...........gimme your insight

almost every time imo. you dont draft for next year. you draft for the next 5-10 years. if the position of need and a players rankings are close, you take the need spot though. for instance. if you need an ot and have one ranked a 90 but he is second on the board to a de ranked a 92, you usually take the ot, because you have to solid des. i think anderson and okoye fell into this situation last draft.

a team like atl has enough holes to take bpa and he will fit.

a team like ne is complete enough to draft the bpa and find a fit for him for the future.

that is how team like phi, pit and ne seem to stay consistant. they can let players go, because they usually have players lines up behind them. notice how n has "needed" lbs for the past 3 years? they didnt reach for them though. they took the best value to them.

bush was not a deciding factor in the saints recovery.

imo he certainly was. he opened up that offense on his hype alone. as sad as it was teams gameplanned for bush every week, from week one. even when he was playing like a bust teams flocked to cover him. his value as a decoy was as big an impact as any rookie had. there is no doubt in my mind that no would not have been as successful last season w/o bush.

cj was a non factor for detroit getting better. they are better because of their defense. replace cj was one of the available fa last spring and detroit does the same thing they doing this year. you are correct that reggie helped to hype up the saints but other than being a decoy. he hasnt really carried the offense. the emergence of colston and brees and the defense playing better i think was more of an impact to the success. but back to the question at hand...

i believe you take need over best player with an astericks. like someone said before me, you never reach for need especially if you can get a similar rated player later on. you also just dont take a player because they are hyped up to go high when you have a glaring need. we needed a de on defense. we went into the draft with 2 de rated in the top 10 potentially available. there were a few players that were rated high but at positions where we had pro bowlers playing. even though he was the second rated de in the draft, we went with jamal. it was the logical thing to do. now look at miami, they needed a qb in the worst way with a qb some rated as the #1 overall pick. but they went the "sexy" pick and got the trendy speedy returner\wr. dont you think they would have been much better off by drafting brady and just keeping wes welker? this is where drafting can go wrong.

i believe our greatest needs are ol and qb. if you look at the draft order as of today, if the stl or miami dont take jake long or dorsey, you have to take them. if they are gone. you have to take the best qb available. i am not a gambling man. if you dont, you gamble on a less rated guy maybe being a gem. i believe in going for a more refined pick. by draft time, every piece of film on brohm, woodson and ryan will be analyzed. if we do not take one of them in the 1st round, we will have to be lucky to get the one who falls in the second. i am not into luck. mcfadden is a great rb but i personal am not into wagering the future of the franchise on a rb. you can get a very good rb in later rounds. look at all the starting rbs in the league. how many were early 1st rounders? petrinos system doesnt warrant the need for a "sexy" rb. we just need one who gets the job done. what we do need is a qb who has smarts and can make all the throws. again if we dont get the best ol or best defensive player or one of the big 3 at qb. then i will be incredibly upset with mckay. oh i added best defensive player because like all the great coaches say you win with defense. if you can get an a+++ talent on defense at anytime, you get him. if dorsey is there, we take him because pairing him with coleman will make the defense better in a whole. the dbs will look better as well as the linebackers (this wont happen becuase dorsey isnt a nt, tie up blocker type). i say all this arguing and such needs to chill till march. where you have more film and measurables on people.

the key with drafting bpa that gets ignored too much is that this becomes much less of a factor as teams get deeper in the draft. after the first three rounds, the grades are oftentimes nearly identical. it's at this point that an organization can start fixing holes in their roster while not making the epic mistake wasting a lot of cap space on a player who isn't worthy of their draft position.

the key with drafting bpa that gets ignored too much is that this becomes much less of a factor as teams get deeper in the draft. after the first three rounds, the grades are oftentimes nearly identical. it's at this point that an organization can start fixing holes in their roster while not making the epic mistake wasting a lot of cap space on a player who isn't worthy of their draft position.

correct. when i answered i immediately was looking at our #1 pick, since that is where most posters are interested.