papi's 2008 off-season & mock draft v.1

papikaika

trades:

1. deangelo hall for a mid-1st round pick.

2. demorrio williams for a 3rd round pick.

cuts: warrick dunn, wayne gandy, kynan forney, adam jennings, chris redman

fa acquisitions:

floyd womack, og

--with the release of kynan forney, womack should be signed to assure the right side of the line. womack is an experienced lineman who has the ability to start for a team.

drayton florence, cb

--with the trade demand of deangelo hall, the falcons will look to sure up a player in the secondary. florence isn't hall, but he's a solid contributor on a team. he's at best a #2, all hopes are for chris houston to lock up the #1 spot for next season.

2008 nfl draft:

prior to the draft, i'll assume the following compensation picks for kerney (4th) & griffith (6th). also, we have the 3rd overall pick.

let's begin!!

round 1a - jake long, ot, michigan

--long is an elite prospect at the lt position. he is an extremely solid olineman that will sure up the left side along with last year's second round pick justin blalock. the falcons line will need to make the transition to a traditional style blocking and by the second year under petrino, the change should be showing.

*round 1b - brian brohm, qb, louisville

--thanks to deangelo hall, we have our future qb. brohm hasn't had the season many had thought he would have, so his stock falls just a bit. ryan and woodson are rated higher than brohm. with this pick, we get a qb that knows the system and has the high possibility of starting on day 1.

round 2a - jonathan stewart, rb, oregon

--a tough, brusing runner that also has the speed to outrun a defender on the defense. stewart would be a perfect compliment to norwood, and we could have our own version of 'thunder' and 'lightning'.

round 2b - vince hall, ilb, va. tech

--keith brooking has been good for us in the middle, but he needs to go back to his position, wlb (hence the dmo trade). there are other lb's that will go before hall, so i see him having a chance to slide right to us. he has the talent and drive to be the starter in the middle on day 1.

round 3a - red bryant, dt, texas a&m

--bryant will try to earn the spot at nt with coleman manning the ut position. although, coleman is on his downside, he still is a contributing factor for us on the dline. bryant is a solid player on the line, that plays with tenacity.

*round 3b - dominique rodgers-cromartie, cb, tennessee st.

--my sleeper pick. cromartie is one of those smaller school prospects that has a chance to do well in the league. he is risk worth taking because of our cb situation.

round 4 - tom zbikowski, ss, notre dame

--zbikowski has had a down year, seriously. he's a in the box type of safety, but as shown ball-hawking skills also. he's worth the pick at this stage.

round 4(comp.) - brandon coutu, k, georgia

--we need a kicker! andersen has been good for us, but his range is decreasing. coutu has a strong leg and is accurate on fg's. he's a homestate product that would surely bring some dawgs with him to the falcons. haha.

round 5 - maurice purify, wr, nebraska

--purify is big wr with solid speed. he would probably be our 4th or 5th wr and in this offensive scheme, we will need him.

round 6 - doug legursky, c, marshall

--legursky would be a backup, but the c position also depends on the return of datish. if datish comes back strong, i could see legursky backing up at the og spot.

round 6(comp.) - matt flynn, qb, lsu

--it doesn't hurt to draft 2 qb's when you got harrington & leftwich as your qb's now. he has the chance to make the team, so we'll see.

round 7 - eric foster, de, rutgers

--de is only 3-deep, so a solid player like foster has a shot to make the team as a backup[.

2008 depth chart

italics - indicates fa acquisition

bold - indicates drafted player

qb - brohm//harrington//leftwich

rb - stewart//norwood//pinner

fb - mughelli//mcintyre

wr - r.white//horn//robinson//jenkins//purify

te - crumpler//blakely//milner

lt - long//qjinaka

lg - blalock//legursky

c - mcclure//datish

rg - womack//batiste

rt - weiner//clabo

le - anderson//davis

ut - coleman//babineaux

nt - lewis//bryant

re - abraham//foster

blb - boley//wilkins

mlb - hall//taylor

wlb - brooking//nicholas

lcb - houston//irons

rcb - florence//rodgers-cromartie//sanders

ss - milloy//zbikowski//stone

fs - crocker//williams

k - coutu

p - koenen

ls - schneck

jake long is definetly not an elite prospect at the lt position. he has a lot of problems competing against the finesse rushers against ncaa let alone the nfl pass rushers. i would like to see jake long as more of a right tackle in the nfl.

other than that, it's a pretty decent draft. i'm not really into floyd womack considering the big cash he wants, and i really think we can go better than him and get someone that's more bang-for-the-buck.

drafting two quarterbacks doesn't make sense. we would have the rookie quarterback first drafted, byron leftwich, joey harrington, chris redman, and dj shockley. the quarterback most likely to stay will be the rookie quarterback, dj shockley, and byron/joey.

nearly all draft experts disagree with you and have long ranked in the top 5.

those same guys touted robert gallery as the next jones/pace/ogden. i watched the guy get beat quite a few times by jonal saint-dic, who is rated as a 3rd-4th round de. a lot of the scouting reports mention him as a rt in the nfl because he can't handle the edge rushers like a lt should. weren't you that same guy who was hyping up levi brown this past draft? how has he turned out so far?

those same guys touted robert gallery as the next jones/pace/ogden. i watched the guy get beat quite a few times by jonal saint-dic, who is rated as a 3rd-4th round de. a lot of the scouting reports mention him as a rt in the nfl because he can't handle the edge rushers like a lt should.

c/s cant ever fully c/s a mich player post bo schembechler

laugh.giflaugh.gif

i agree, long is the best "overall" ot prospect in the draft, but there are better true lt prospects that can be had later in the 1st -3rd rounds, jake will get eaten up by speed rushers in the nfl if he's put on the blind side

he does not handle speed rushers well, at least when ive watched him. im not the only one who sees it though, and i think it will become a more and more legitimate concern as the draft nears.

he is the best ot in the draft, but i dont think he is the best lt in the draft.

he does not handle speed rushers well, at least when ive watched him. im not the only one who sees it though, and i think it will become a more and more legitimate concern as the draft nears.

he is the best ot in the draft, but i dont think he is the best lt in the draft.

yeah, there's no doubt he's the best ot, but i can literally point out 3-4 guys who will be better lts in the pros.

well...

i think its an okay mock. dont really like the hall trade because i dont think we can afford to lose a top corner like that, but if he wont resign, then its a good idea. like the brohm pick a lot, but not sold on long. would rather trade down and pick up oher if he declares. doubt stewart is there in the 2nd, but it would be amazing if he is. i like legursky alot. and would we be able to trade dmo considering hes a pending free agent?

cmon dude, the guy has been a project the whole time he's been here and has never been able to even win the #2 job. he's gone if and when we draft a qb.

the whole times he's been here? the guy has been in the league for one ######ing year. last year we had schaub and vick. do you honestly think the guy was gonna win the #2 job with schaub as our #2, as a rookie?

he had all training camp to compete and when he got hurt he was the #3 and had already lost the #2 job to redman. in addition, shockley was here before redman. that means he lost the #2 job to redman.

in other words, with us picking a qb in the draft next year, shockley is done as a falcon (unless he's signed to the practice squad).

really? i never heard that(probably because you pulled it out of your ######). as for shockley being here longer, with a new coaching staff, how is that even an advantage?

were you on the board then? redman was ahead of shockley on the depth chart before shockley got hurt. ask anyone that was on the boards at the time. also notice that redman was playing against 2nd stringers in the 2nd-3rd quarter of the preseason games and shockley was playing against 3rd stringers in the 3rd-4th quarter of the preseason games.

read this article, it explains the situation a little better than you can. shockley & redman

quote: local favorite d.j. shockley, who was battling for the no. 2 spot behind vick replacement joey harrington, confirmed monday that he will likely undergo surgery next week for a torn anterior cruciate ligament. sorry, credible sources > idiots on a mb.

where were you during training camp? is steve wyche from the ajc an "idiot on the mb" too?

we will draft a qb an shockley (and redman) will be the odd man out. that's the reality.

by the way, i'd stop with the personal insults. people get banned that way.

how does a guy fail to beat someone out after 1 game in the preseason? he played a bad game, but was tremendously better before getting injured. you also forgot the next line, which was: although he was threatening prior to getting hurt.

oh no!! ohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gifohmy.gif

training camp. redman won the #2 job in training camp and kept it up until leftwich came on board. ask anyone... seriously... i don't make this stuff up.

really? according to nearly every report about his injury, it stated he was either the #2, or battling for that spot. you don't make stuff up? how's that levi brown thing holding up for ya? i thought he was supposed to be a great player? laugh.gif also, if you think harrington is going to be here next year, you're delusional. the guy has shown nothing that helps him. nothing at all. anyways, i'm done with this argument. i'll leave the shockley debate with gf.

he was put at rt in training camp to protect leinart's blind side. leinart is a left handed qb. protecting a qb's blind side is the most important position on the o-line.

you should really do your homework when you debate with me or you will get owned.

so, you were calling to draft a guy to play lt (when we had a left-handed qb in vick)? wouldn't we have needed a rt to cover vick's blindside?