are we gonna get a pick

ugafan713

we don't get a compensatory pick for schaub since we traded him. we do, however, get houston's second round pick this year, which is currently around #45. this means we get 3 of the top 45 picks as it stands at the moment. it's pretty hard to mess up that draft. we also probably get a 3rd round compensatory pick for patrick kerney, we get a late day two pick for alan rossum, and we may get a very, very late round compensatory pick for ashley lelie and/or justin griffith.

unless kerney ends up in the pro bowl, i don't see any way we'll get a 3rd for him, and even then it's questionable. a 4th is more likely imo. i think we'll get a 7th for griffith, but lelie has only 2 starts in 8 games and only 5 catches. i'm doubting that we'll get anything at all for him.

rossum was a trade so no comp pick for him either. it was a conditional pick, and with him being their primary kick & punt returner, i'd guess it's going to be a 6th round pick. rossum is 6th in the nfl in kickoff return average for returners with 10 or more returns.

we don't get a compensatory pick for schaub since we traded him. we do, however, get houston's second round pick this year, which is currently around #45. this means we get 3 of the top 45 picks as it stands at the moment. it's pretty hard to mess up that draft. we also probably get a 3rd round compensatory pick for patrick kerney, we get a late day two pick for alan rossum, and we may get a very, very late round compensatory pick for ashley lelie and/or justin griffith.

didn't we trade allen rossum too?

edit: after re-reading, i realize that we get that pick from the trade, and not from compensation

unless kerney ends up in the pro bowl, i don't see any way we'll get a 3rd for him, and even then it's questionable.

it's an arcane formula based on starts, post-season awards and contract. kerney got one of the largest contracts this offseason, and he's started every game. given the way this has worked with des in the past, i feel pretty comfortable in saying we'll get a 3 for him. we were on the cusp of getting one for shaffer, and kerney has better credentials.

it's an arcane formula based on starts, post-season awards and contract. kerney got one of the largest contracts this offseason, and he's started every game. given the way this has worked with des in the past, i feel pretty comfortable in saying we'll get a 3 for him. we were on the cusp of getting one for shaffer, and kerney has better credentials.

but it also adds in offseason awards (of which a pro bowl selection is considered one) and you do some subtracting for guys you've signed, and we signed ovie to a record contract for fb's and i think that will keep us from getting the 3rd for kerney.

but it's all just a guess since the nfl has never told anyone the stupid formula. smile.gif

but it also adds in offseason awards (of which a pro bowl selection is considered one) and you do some subtracting for guys you've signed, and we signed ovie to a record contract for fb's and i think that will keep us from getting the 3rd for kerney.

but it's all just a guess since the nfl has never told anyone the stupid formula. smile.gif

very true. one note about mughelli: he'll cancel out someone of similar contract, which means he's going to probably counterbalance lelie. he would not negate anything about kerney as i understand it. if we had only lost one player in free agency, he would. since we lost three and only brought in one (sanders and horn were cut, so they don't count), the question is how mughelli impacts the lelie/griffith tandem....assuming they are worth anything. lelie got the big contract but has been a disaster. griffith is playing some, but he only got about half of what mughelli did. he's getting some pro bowl discussion in oakland, so that would help our case.

dont forget that ovie hardly sees the field... if comp picks are based on production, mughelli will cancel no one out...