offseason thoughts

dhrone

i think we would be a better team sooner rather than later if we get a running back in fa instead of drafting one. micheal turner would be worth every penny he is going to command. hopefully we will be able to clean up some of the vick cap hit and we will get the best fa running back available. if we do that it will allow us to focus on other areas in the draft. we have a lot of holes but the two biggest imo are qb and ol. the more i watch of ryan and brohm the more i am confident that either one of them would be a great pick. both are polished passers, great game managers, both are great on a big stage (will know more about ryan in the coming weeks), and both move around in the pocket and are good at avoiding the rush. i think the dolphins will probably draft a qb before us, unless beck plays really well to finish up the season (which probably wont happen).

i think we would be a better team sooner rather than later if we get a running back in fa instead of drafting one. micheal turner would be worth every penny he is going to command. hopefully we will be able to clean up some of the vick cap hit and we will get the best fa running back available. if we do that it will allow us to focus on other areas in the draft. we have a lot of holes but the two biggest imo are qb and ol. the more i watch of ryan and brohm the more i am confident that either one of them would be a great pick. both are polished passers, great game managers, both are great on a big stage (will know more about ryan in the coming weeks), and both move around in the pocket and are good at avoiding the rush. i think the dolphins will probably draft a qb before us, unless beck plays really well to finish up the season (which probably wont happen).

1) michael turner is going to be wayy overpaid, so will that still justify the price? i personally think he is way over-hyped, and want nothing to do with him. i have seen little production from him in sd.

2) wasn't beck a 2nd round pick? i know the dolphins aren't the top franchise in the nfl, but i seriously, seriously doubt that they give up on beck already. so by the logic, i would have to go with no.

as much as i might like to spend money on free agency, i think it would be much much better for us in the long run if we didnt spend lots of money this year. adding a couple 2nd or 3rd tier guys would be fine, but id much rather build up the team to be competitive through the draft, and supplement the roster with a few key roster additions through free agency to put us up into the elite. that is how you build a team, not spending lots of money when you are going to have a top 10 pick.

at least, thats what id like to see us do. we will have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds again, so we will get some impact players and add depth and fill some more holes. we will be better next year than last year, but not good enough to justify breaking the bank for turner or anyone else imo.

help petrino and everyone else out, build up the oline and fill a couple voids on defense at dt and mlb and our team will look much better than it does right now. if we can fill the lt void (tony hills is my guy for lt) and maybe the rg void (shannon tevaga is my guy here) then our oline will be deeper than it has been in a while. we could go for a powerful c to compete with datish in the 6th-7th range too if we wanted (doug legursky is a friggin beast). then look at what will have happened:

lt- hills/foster

lg- blalock/clabo

c- mcclure/datish/legursky

rg- forney/tevaga

rt- weiner/ojinnaka

that is a pretty deep oline. and at every position there is a "petrino" offensive lineman. a powerful road grading lineman, and that is the kind of step we need to take this offseason. without an offensive line our rbs wont look as good and our qb wont look as good.

now on defense, getting a good ut (kentwan balmer is a guy i like) and a good mlb (ben moffit is one guy on my radar) would make this front 7 very deep and it would boast the most talent its had in a long time. it could get after the passer and stop the run consistently, and both are qualifications needed to make zimmers scheme work.

thats how id attack the offseason. leave the fa bidding to other teams. lets build through the draft and save some money for later, im tired of being strapped for cash every year.