in defense of brian brohm

instead of making a argument in favor of brohm, i thought i would pull quotes from serveral sources on the internet. what people say about brohm is remarkably consistent. this is a guy that has been in the spotlight since high school (in 2002, still in high school, he was featured on the cover of sports illustrated!) people have been saying the same things about him for 4 years.

other qb may have more "upside", but keep in mind how many guys with upside have ended up as busts because that upside never developed.

brohm is a polished qb now. a finished product.

here are some of the quotes i found about brohm. love him or hate him, you've got to admit that the most analyst's opinions of him have been pretty consistent.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

height: 6-4 weight: 225 40-yard dash: 4.85 prototype of nfl qb

...moves well around the pocket

...patience allows plays to fully develop.

...has speed and can be a threat on the ground if necessary

...prefers to work with his arm rather than his feet.

...throws a great deep ball

...the majority of his passes have touch

...makes it easy for his receivers to turn around and pick up some yardage after the catch.

...has been under the microscope since high school.

...is unphased by the spotlight.

...doesn't make the mind-bending mistakes that most young qbs tend to when under pressure

...calm and confident nature

...he s looked calm and collected and put up big numbers (this year without michael bush).

...one of the best quarterbacks in the nation when it comes to managing the game.

...one of the best play callers in the nation.

...tom brady swagger with a carson palmer-like arm.

...big and strong and makes sound decisions for his team.

...big, and has a strong arm

...makes all nfl throws with zip and accuracy.

...great throwing technique with footwork and delivery.

...quick release.

...passes burst out of his hand and reach receivers in a flash.

...relaxed and poised in the pocket

...doesn't panic under pressure

...excels at moving around in the pocket to avoid sacks

...has the size and strength to make strong throws with defenders grabbing at him.

...can pull the ball down and scramble for a first down when needed

...is not afraid to lower shoulder and fight for yardage.

...is the son of a coach

...has great footwork and technique

...just about never makes a bad decision

...shows the athleticism to avoid sacks

...strong and accurate arm to make all the throws

...the mind to minimize mistakes

...has all the tools to be a great nfl starter

...will be ready to play early in his pro career

...outstanding mechanics

...keeps the ball high and has a high release point

...excellent touch and timing on throws

...knows how to change up velocities

...can hit his receivers in stride in the short, intermediate and deep zones

...avoids telegraphing most of his throws

...knows how to keep safeties honest

...adept at reading coverage

...can make all the necessary nfl throws

...does a good job of selling fakes

...has a good mental clock

...generally knows when it's time to run or throw the ball away

...outstanding intangibles

...grew up around the game of football

...a hard worker on and off the field

...displays a passion for the sport similar to that of peyton manning

...showed a lot of toughness in 2006

...selected in the mlb draft following his senior year in high school by the colorado rockies.

...quick release.

...doesn't panic under pressure

...excels at moving around in the pocket to avoid sacks

....is not afraid to lower shoulder and fight for yardage.

...just about never makes a bad decision

...the mind to minimize mistakes

...can hit his receivers in stride in the short, intermediate and deep zones

...avoids telegraphing most of his throws

...adept at reading coverage

...has a good mental clock

...a hard worker on and off the field

...displays a passion for the sport similar to that of peyton manning

i didn't participate in the discussion about what i like in an nfl qb, but this would be the short list.

in defense of brian brohm......louisville doesn't have one - that is the only thing in his way

he will be the first qb taken in the draft by..............................................................the atlanta falcons

andre woodson will be the qb taken for the same reason harrington and leftwich start ahead of redman. their physical abilities trump redman's knowledge of the system.

i have a feeling that this may work out for us. his stock, for one reason or another, has gone down instead of up. he has put up numbers, but his team hasn't won games. his hype isn't high, and that may be our blessing.

the one guy i keep hearing him be compared to is carson palmer. that is definately a good thing.

i have a feeling that this may work out for us. his stock, for one reason or another, has gone down instead of up. he has put up numbers, but his team hasn't won games. his hype isn't high, and that may be our blessing.

the one guy i keep hearing him be compared to is carson palmer. that is definately a good thing.

carson is definitely a good comparision for this guy...he's the best qb in the draft and it's so obvious its boring...our fellow falcon fans will not believe in the guy until another team drafts him and he develops into a star for them by his second year...

i would like to see the negative comments these same people had about him. i know what i've seen, just wondering what the others have seen.

personally, i think he could be like peyton manning or he could be like david carr. it's really a toss up. i would probably take a shot at him if mcfadden, dorsey, and laurinaitis are gone.

i still think it was really stupid of us to pass on patrick willis.

i would like to see the negative comments these same people had about him. i know what i've seen, just wondering what the others have seen.

personally, i think he could be like peyton manning or he could be like david carr. it's really a toss up. i would probably take a shot at him if mcfadden, dorsey, and laurinaitis are gone.

i still think it was really stupid of us to pass on patrick willis.

once was enough, you can get off laurinaitis's jock now. dry.gif

once was enough, you can get off laurinaitis's jock now. dry.gif

why? he won awards for being the best lb as a sophomore and is putting up another great season this year. sorry if it doesn't fit your agenda, but we need a mlb just as much as a qb and laurinaitis has the potential to be great....unlike most of the qb's in this draft.

darren mcfadden/michael oher/jake long + erik ainge/dennis dixon/rudy carpenter >>>>>>>>>>>> brian brohm

no qb in the 1st round.

brian brohm/ tony hills >>>>>>>>>>>> jake long/ dennis dixon

and i'm not even a brian brohm fan, i would much rather take mcfadden/hills/jdbooty

why? he won awards for being the best lb as a sophomore and is putting up another great season this year. sorry if it doesn't fit your agenda, but we need a mlb just as much as a qb and laurinaitis has the potential to be great....unlike most of the qb's in this draft.

we're not going to draft laurinaitis in the first round when we have more pressing needs. quarterback, defensive tackle, running back. use your head and stop dreaming about the best players available when we draft.

just because patrick willis is having a great year means we have to draft the best lb in the draft? seriously, that must be the only time you called a player and got it right.

we're not going to draft laurinaitis in the first round when we have more pressing needs. quarterback, defensive tackle, running back. use your head and stop dreaming about the best players available when we draft.

just because patrick willis is having a great year means we have to draft the best lb in the draft? seriously, that must be the only time you called a player and got it right.

is that you, rich mckay?

i agree with the rest of your argument, about patrick willis and how he shouldn't affect our draft board, but mlb could easily be argued up there with qb, dt, & rb. in fact, i think i would put mlb ahead of rb. if james laurenitis is available, i would take him top 5 without hesitation (not top 3, but 4 or 5)

is that you, rich mckay?

i agree with the rest of your argument, about patrick willis and how he shouldn't affect our draft board, but mlb could easily be argued up there with qb, dt, & rb. in fact, i think i would put mlb ahead of rb. if james laurenitis is available, i would take him top 5 without hesitation (not top 3, but 4 or 5)

you would take him over:

glenn dorsey

jake long

darren mcfadden

kenny phillips

matt ryan

andre woodson

brian brohm

pretty gutsy there... might actually have to call you crazy, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

you would take him over:

glenn dorsey

jake long

darren mcfadden

kenny phillips

matt ryan

andre woodson

brian brohm

pretty gutsy there... might actually have to call you crazy, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

i would put darren mcfadden & glenn dorsey above laurenitis. i would rank kenny phillips & laurenitis about equal, but i think we have more needs at mlb than at either s position.

as for the 3 qbs, yes, i would rather draft a franchise mlb than a wannabe franchise qb. any of those 3 could be great, but i think, at this point, they all have a lot to prove.

why can't we just trade for vilma? he's a perfect mlb in the 4-3, and all we'd have to do is probably give up a second round pick for him. which is, if you think about it, not too bad considering we would have to use a first round pick on an mlb (if we do) like laurinitis, and wait for him to develop in a couple of months? vilma is looking to be traded out of ny, the jets have harris who is a much better mlb than vilma is in the 3-4. it's a better deal burning a second round pick for a young, already rounded mlb, than to use a top 10 pick on a position that isn't even our biggest need.

...had surgery on his non-throwing shoulder in january of 2007...

...missed nearly three full games with a thumb injury in 2006

...suffered a season-ending acl tear in the 10th game of the 2005 season.

that pretty much sums up the negatives on brohm. his injury history is what concerns people. there isn't any part of his game that people consistently talk about negatively.

you would take him over:

glenn dorsey

no.

jake long

i go back and forth on it. long's struggles against speed ends give me cause for concern, but i love how physical he is. i think he's got more potential to disappoint, so i'm inclined to say no.

darren mcfadden

best player in the draft.

kenny phillips

without hesitation.

matt ryan

i'd take lod jr. in the top 5. i wouldn't take ryan in the first round.

andre woodson

yes though i could live with it if we took woodson.

brian brohm

they're pretty much a toss-up to me. to my mind, brohm is the best qb prospect in this draft. laurinitis is the third safest player in this draft after mcfadden and dorsey. he'll be an nfl pro bowl player on a consistent basis, but stud qbs are harder to come by. i believe brohm could become one.

no.

i go back and forth on it. long's struggles against speed ends give me cause for concern, but i love how physical he is. i think he's got more potential to disappoint, so i'm inclined to say no.

best player in the draft.

without hesitation.

i'd take lod jr. in the top 5. i wouldn't take ryan in the first round.

yes though i could live with it if we took woodson.

they're pretty much a toss-up to me. to my mind, brohm is the best qb prospect in this draft. laurinitis is the third safest player in this draft after mcfadden and dorsey. he'll be an nfl pro bowl player on a consistent basis, but stud qbs are harder to come by. i believe brohm could become one.

you said no to dorsey? blink.gif

vilma has a degenerative bone disease in his knee... i wouldn't give up more than a 4th for him, if he can even pass a physical.

in addition, there is no guarantee he'll be ready at the start of next season if he has the surgery, meaning we'd be trading for a guy who might not help us immediately. with the medical revelation, vilma is much scarier now than he was a month ago.

i was born in atl but live in jacksonville fl. brian brohm is tom brady compred to the goofy @#(*(&$ we have now. i have watched leftwich for years and trust me, don't get your hopes up. i would take brohm over all of the other qb's simply because of his size, intelligence and familiarity to petrino and his schemes. he could work a little on his arm strength but he is smart and accurate. vick might have been more athletic but pending some big advances to his throwing game is not enough to beat teams like this years colts or pats. no qb can rush for 1000 yards and go all the way. their just isn't enogh points generated. we need a smart and big pocket passer and a huge o-line. problems solved and petrino can go to work. screw the lb's and rb's we are 2-6. are defense hasn't been terrible this year, our offense is unwatchable. this whole offseason we should rebuild the offense totally.