what is important to you in a qb

what is important to you in a qb and what isn't

important

reads defenses well my #1 attribute. it doesn't matter how good he is at everything else, if he can't decipher a defense he will have problems.

makes quick decisions the handmaiden to being able to read defenses. he has to be able to take quick action based upon what the defense is doing.

pocket awareness this is what jaws describes as the "real" type of mobility qbs need. they can feel the pressure and know how to move around in the pocket (a couple of steps up or to the side) to buy the extra time they need to complete passes. this is the type of "mobility" qbs like brady and manning are masters of.

doesn't get rattled under pressure all qbs play worse when they get pressured, but some are able to handle it, and some fall apart.

passing accuracy this should go without saying, but he has to be able to get the ball to the recievers. this also includes things like properly leading the reciever, and knowing not only how to throw it so the reciever can catch it, but so it is hard to intercept (the old "he threw it where if the receiver wasn't going to catch it, nobody was".)

a strong enough arm he needs to be able to comfortably be able to make all the throws the scheme calls for, including the deep ones. this is different from having a "rocket arm" which i'll discuss later.

not so important

mobility i've already described the type of mobility i think is important under "pocket awareness". the mobility most people think of is the ability to scramble to buy extra time, or being good at rolling out and throwing on the run. those are nice abilites for a qb to have, but i wouldn't lower my standards on any of the core skills to get a "mobile" qb.

great 40 time the purpose of a qb is to distribute the ball to other players either by handing it off or passing it. the ability to outrun defenders to gain yardage is doesn't fall under either of those categories.

rocket arm we're talking about the ability to throw the ball 60 yards off the back of your foot. there are only a handfull of qbs that have that ability. it's a nice plus, but not a requirement for a qb. leftwich has a rocket arm, manning doesn't.

quick question, why is pass accuracy so low on your list?

what good is it to be able to read defenses and make a quick decision if the qb can't deliver the ball to the intended target.

i agree with your list, for the most part, but how can you rank one ahead of the other? it is a total package, and not something you find in a rookie. some of these skills take years to develop

quick question, why is pass accuracy so low on your list?

what good is it to be able to read defenses and make a quick decision if the qb can't deliver the ball to the intended target.

i agree with your list, for the most part, but how can you rank one ahead of the other? it is a total package, and not something you find in a rookie. some of these skills take years to develop

i don't think it's low. i've got it listed under important. i didn't rank them 1, 2, 3. the important list is a core skill set that i think every qb must have.

i would say

- the ability to make all the throws (screen, slant, deep ball, etc.)

- a student of the game. (someone that is not satisfied, even if they lead the league in stats)

- a good "quick" decision maker

- accuracy & precision

- a likeable person (aka. coachable or good teammate)

- at least 6'4" & fairly tough

like a couple of posters indicated before, leadership goes without saying.

other attributes

toughness - a qb has to be willing to stand in the pocket & deliver the ball in the face of being hit. if he loses this, he loses alot.

confidence - teams feed off a confident qb. players can sense real confidence too. joey harrington spoke of being confident in his abilities, but quite frankly was not a confident qb. as such, the team did not feed off him. while this could fall under 'being rattled'...i think this is a more complete definition of the attribute.

size - not necessarily height, but build - although you would prefer a taller signal caller. someone who has the build to withstand the punishment is more likely to retain his toughness.

for a qb to be successful in this offense right now they would need to be able to:

- after handing the ball off, truck 3 defenders to open a hole for the rb.

- make a decision and a throw within 1 second in case a defender comes in unblocked.

- get the receiver's attention during that 1 second.

- blow really hard with superman breath to push the wr down field far enough within that 1 second so that you are not accused of "dinking and dunking".

you are quickly becoming my favorite poster!! laugh.gif

important attributes in a qb (listed from most important to least important)

1. accuracy: a qb that can put the ball exactly where it needs to be when it needs to be, regardless of arm strength, can succeed in the nfl. it may get you accused of "dinking and dunking", but a 20 play, 80 yard drive is actually a lot more damaging to an opposing team than a 4 play, 80 yard drive.
  2. defense articulate: a qb with pinpoint accuracy will be successful in the nfl whether he can read defenses or not, because a very accurate qb can be told where to put the ball, and get into a rhythm with his offense so he knows when to put it there. however, if he wants to be considered elite, he should be able to read defenses so that if he can't get into said rhythm, he can still put the ball in the right spot without getting picked off.
  3. quick decision making: again, if he has the accuracy and the ability to read defenses, he'll be great, but the ability to make quick decisions will make him even better. if he can read the defense and put the ball where it needs to be, and he simultaneously finds more than one receiver to be open, he needs to be able to quickly and accurately decide which receiver is in the better spot to make the catch and get yac.
  4. a pass-first instinct: this was the biggest knock on michael vick. if his first(sometimes second) receiver wasn't open, he'd just tuck it and run. that's one of the worst things a qb can do. it's great for a qb to be able to scramble to buy time, but the entire time that he's doing his ballet, he should have his eyes down field, looking for a receiver to get open. throwing the ball to a wide open target 20 yards down field is a lot easier than trying to run and weave your way in and out of defenders for what will probably end in a painful experience for the most important player on the field.
  5. poise: a qb can't get rattled under pressure, both in terms of the gravity of the game-type pressure in playoffs and such, and in the oh-my-god-i'm-about-to-get-knocked-on-my-######-by-a-300+-pound-hungry-black-man terms as well. poise leads to leadership, and the two are one in the same.

that is everything that i need in a qb. the luxuries are rocket arm, mobility, 40-time, height, and weight.

for a qb to be successful in this offense right now they would need to be able to:

- after handing the ball off, truck 3 defenders to open a hole for the rb.

- make a decision and a throw within 1 second in case a defender comes in unblocked.

- get the receiver's attention during that 1 second.

- blow really hard with superman breath to push the wr down field far enough within that 1 second so that you are not accused of "dinking and dunking".

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

important to me

1) can move offense down the field quickly if needed.

2) good arm strength and accuracy

3) judgment

not as important to me

1) 40 yard dash

2) measurables

3) mel kiper's opinion of them

lmfao...for some reason, this post reminds me of something that john madden would say.

"ya see, if th-if th-if the quarterback, now, if he, if if if if he is a goood quaarrrterback, then, uh, th-th-then he's gonna...well, he's gonna be a good quarterback, then. but, if he's not, then asdfhasdoaewnofaihsodifhasdofhaoef hahaha! he's just not gonna cut it."

imagine frank caliendo imitating john madden and saying that.