vilma knee injury related to degnerative condition

i know a number of people have suggested we go after vilma this offseason. given his knee prboblems i don't think it would be prudnet, but we've got to continue the tradition of giving big contracts to injury prone players like hurtwell & abraham.

jets knew of jonathan vilma's knee injury in '04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by rich cimini

daily news sports writer

thursday, november 1st 2007, 4:00 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

print email suggest a story

click here to play jets pick'em

read rich cimini's the jets PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL

when the jets made jonathan vilma a first-round pick in 2004, they were aware of an abnormality in his right knee. that condition likely contributed to his season-ending injury, a renowned orthopedist said yesterday.

in high school, vilma was diagnosed with osteochondritis dissecans (ocd), a bone defect that can cause instability and loose particles in the joint. although vilma and the team have refused to specify his injury, his right knee does contain loose fragments, it was confirmed.

"a person with ocd has a vulnerable spot on the knee that, from repetitive use, can break loose more easily," said dr. nicholas dinubile, a philadelphia-based orthopedic surgeon and a consultant to the 76ers. dinubile hasn't seen vilma's mri exams, but he suspects there's a "sizeable defect" in the knee that may need to be repaired with micro-fracture surgery - a six-to-nine month rehab. if it were only one bone chip, dinubile said, it could be easily removed with an arthroscopic procedure that would sideline vilma two or three weeks.

on tuesday, vilma said he hadn't decided on whether to have surgery, although that appears likely. either way, he expects to play next season. nfl doctors flagged the ocd at the 2004 scouting combine. surgery was recommended, but vilma went for a second opinion and decided against surgery. he didn't want to hurt his draft status. at the time, the jets confirmed their knowledge of the condition, but they felt it was a worthwhile risk. two other teams, contacted after the draft by the daily news, felt the same way. "we have the best medical staff in the league," then-gm terry bradway said at the draft. "when they give you the go-ahead, you don't look back."

vilma didn't miss a game until last week. he said he was hurt the previous week, although he couldn't recall the exact play. the injury may not have been caused by a single trauma, said dinubile, adding that the fragments could have been created over time. the injury comes at a delicate time for vilma, who could seek a new contract and/or a trade in the offseason.

i know a number of people have suggested we go after vilma this offseason. given his knee prboblems i don't think it would be prudnet, but we've got to continue the tradition of giving big contracts to injury prone players like hurtwell & abraham.

jets knew of jonathan vilma's knee injury in '04

by rich cimini

daily news sports writer

thursday, november 1st 2007, 4:00 am

print email suggest a story

click here to play jets pick'em

read rich cimini's the jets PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL

when the jets made jonathan vilma a first-round pick in 2004, they were aware of an abnormality in his right knee. that condition likely contributed to his season-ending injury, a renowned orthopedist said yesterday.

in high school, vilma was diagnosed with osteochondritis dissecans (ocd), a bone defect that can cause instability and loose particles in the joint. although vilma and the team have refused to specify his injury, his right knee does contain loose fragments, it was confirmed.

"a person with ocd has a vulnerable spot on the knee that, from repetitive use, can break loose more easily," said dr. nicholas dinubile, a philadelphia-based orthopedic surgeon and a consultant to the 76ers. dinubile hasn't seen vilma's mri exams, but he suspects there's a "sizeable defect" in the knee that may need to be repaired with micro-fracture surgery - a six-to-nine month rehab. if it were only one bone chip, dinubile said, it could be easily removed with an arthroscopic procedure that would sideline vilma two or three weeks.

on tuesday, vilma said he hadn't decided on whether to have surgery, although that appears likely. either way, he expects to play next season. nfl doctors flagged the ocd at the 2004 scouting combine. surgery was recommended, but vilma went for a second opinion and decided against surgery. he didn't want to hurt his draft status. at the time, the jets confirmed their knowledge of the condition, but they felt it was a worthwhile risk. two other teams, contacted after the draft by the daily news, felt the same way. "we have the best medical staff in the league," then-gm terry bradway said at the draft. "when they give you the go-ahead, you don't look back."

vilma didn't miss a game until last week. he said he was hurt the previous week, although he couldn't recall the exact play. the injury may not have been caused by a single trauma, said dinubile, adding that the fragments could have been created over time. the injury comes at a delicate time for vilma, who could seek a new contract and/or a trade in the offseason.

im pretty sure it says "surgery can repair it" so who cares what you think! this team needs a few um players if they ever want to suceed. every team in the last 8 years has had atleast 1 um player on it and until the fal######s decide to draft one they are sol

im pretty sure it says "surgery can repair it" so who cares what you think! this team needs a few um players if they ever want to suceed. every team in the last 8 years has had atleast 1 um player on it and until the fal######s decide to draft one they are sol

1. if he has to have micro-fracture surgery he is as good as done. just ask alan houston. he may be able to play but he won't be anywhere near as good as he was.

2. i didn't realize that having um players was a prerequesite to winning....i just thought having um players meant you would have someone on your team with a criminal record wink.gif

1. if he has to have micro-fracture surgery he is as good as done. just ask alan houston. he may be able to play but he won't be anywhere near as good as he was.

2. i didn't realize that having um players was a prerequesite to winning....i just thought having um players meant you would have someone on your team with a criminal record wink.gif

jason kidd, john stockton, amare stoudamire, antonio mcdyess have all successfully returned from microfracture surgery.

the trouble is not with the surgery, but rushing back too soon from the surgery.

jason kidd, john stockton, amare stoudamire, antonio mcdyess have all successfully returned from microfracture surgery.

the trouble is not with the surgery, but rushing back too soon from the surgery.

exactly, micro-fracture surgery is not the end of a career, but certainly a setback.

i don't think the concern is the type of surgery, but the reason he is having surgery. it looks like vima has a non-football condition that makes him prone to these types of problems, which means he may have to have surgery again in the future.

i don't think the concern is the type of surgery, but the reason he is having surgery. it looks like vima has a non-football condition that makes him prone to these types of problems, which means he may have to have surgery again in the future.

if this is true, then we should definitely sign him to a long contract with a ton of guarunteed money.

(sorry, i have my application in with the f.o. and i'm trying to better my chances)