05/15/1986

experience:

3v

school:

san diego

2007 payton watch candidate

2007 preseason all-american (csn)

2006 3rd team all-american (ap)

2006 first team all-american (the sports network & football gazette)

2005 first team all-american (the sports network)

offensive back of the year (don hansen's)

two-time pfl offensive player of the year

two-time usd team mvp

notable: josh johnson is in his fourth and final year at usd... one of the top i-aa quarterbacks in the nation, last year josh finished 6th in voting for the walter payton award as the top i-aa offensive player in the nation... led nation in total offense (336.7 ypg), total passing yards (3,320), passing efficiency (169.0 rating) and points responsible for (24.33 ppg)... is current active career leader in passing efficiency (168.16 rating) and completion percentage (67.80)... already the usd career leader in pass completions (518), josh enters the 2007 campaign needing just 6 touchdown passes and 777 passing yards to break the school marks held by eric rasmussen (75 td passes and 7,487 passing yards)... is a 2007 college sporting news preseason all-america 2nd team pick... one of 50 people to watch in 2007 (san diego magazine).

he's the top small school qb in the nation with better stats than all the big names. unfortunately he'll be a steal for someone besides us then end up being found lighting up the league in a few years.....oh well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiptmbagw54

oakland's johnson has been remarkably efficient at university of san diego

by jeff faraudo, staff writer

article last updated: 10/26/2007 08:06:24 am pdt

josh johnson seems to have everything a top college quarterback needs.

the oakland native, a senior at the university of san diego, has arm strength, accuracy, a quick release, speed and elusiveness as a runner, a sharp mind and field awareness.

johnson's imagination-stretching season stats come with polygraph documentation: 28 touchdowns, zero interceptions. he has completed nearly 74 percent of his attempts for an undefeated team.

"our defensive graduate assistant (coach) jokes that it's like 'madden.' we're just having fun playing a playstation game," usd quarterbacks coach jimmie dougherty said.

johnson has something else no big-time college quarterback has student loans.

the former oakland tech high standout he actually played mostly in the shadow of cousin, teammate and ex-cal star marshawn lynch performs his weekly gridiron fantasy feats for the toreros, a non-scholarship program competing in the former division i-aa, now called the football championship subdivision.

"at times you get into a little bit of a financial burden," johnson said. "most people take out loans. it's not as bad as it might seem."

perhaps, but it's not something kentucky's andre woodson or florida's tim tebow or usc's john david booty has to worry about.

johnson may have the last laugh. stanford coach jim harbaugh, who tutored johnson his first three seasons at san diego, last year called him the best college quarterback in the nation.

"that's what i said. i think he's only improved himself," harbaugh said this week. "i think everybody else sees it now."

not everybody, but johnson's name is beginning to pop up on 2008 nfl mock draft lists, which is unusual for a player from a non-scholarship program. walterfootball.com projects him as a fourth-round draft pick, the ninth-best available quarterback.

johnson will have the chance to demonstrate whether that's appropriate or perhaps low when he spends a week practicing with division i players, leading to the east-west shrine game, jan. 18 in houston.

"that was a blessing. i never thought i would be playing in that game," johnson said. "it's a big opportunity for me. people can see what kind of player i really am. it's going to be fun."

ron caragher, who left kentucky to replace harbaugh as the toreros coach this fall, had no idea how good johnson was until he arrived on campus.

"josh, boy, he's as good or better than everyone else that i've been around ... andre woodson, too," said caragher, who served as backup to troy aikman during their playing days at ucla. "well, troy's pretty special."

harbaugh, who played 14 seasons as an nfl quarterback, said there is "no doubt about it," when asked if he expects johnson to make it in the pros.

"he's got the no.1 thing you look for in a quarterback at that level, that's instincts," harbaugh said. "no.2, he's quick-minded and intelligent. i've often made the statement that if there was an sat for football, he would set the curve.

"there's his leadership, his ability to enlist people, he's not afraid of the big stage. we haven't even talked about his athletic ability or his arm strength. the way he runs would remind you of vince young, the way he can toy with defenders on the sidelines.

"and his throwing ability the ball comes out quick, and he can make all the throws."

johnson has a solid belief in his abilities, but he wears his confidence quietly and is just as anxious as others to measure himself against the best.

"when they (caragher and harbaugh) say it, it feels good because they've seen it all," johnson said. "i really don't try to judge myself because we're playing two different levels of football.

"i don't know yet. i can't call it until the opportunity comes."

the chance to play each saturday against the country's best college teams didn't happen because johnson was a classic late-bloomer. just 5-foot-10, 150 pounds as a high school junior, most scouts simply looked past him. a midseason broken ankle didn't help.

perhaps 6-1 when he arrived at usd, johnson has grown to 6-3 and about 200 pounds. he's still a bit under-sized by nfl quarterback standards, but has plenty to offer.

dougherty, the quarterbacks coach, said about 90 percent of the nfl teams have sent a scout to watch johnson in practice, and several have returned for a second look. "they're very intrigued," he said.

caragher knows the scouts love johnson's quick release. "as fast as i've seen," he said. "he holds the ball high, and when his brain says, 'i'm going to throw this football,' it comes out of his hand a fraction of a second later."

none of his coaches, past or present, can recall a quarterback going through an entire season without an interception. asked if he's come close to completing one to the wrong team, johnson said it happened twice. "both were pass interference calls," he allowed.

beyond the physical gifts, the mental side of johnson's game is well-developed. "he can come off the field after a 10-play drive and tell you what defense they were in on the second play," dougherty said.

a starter for three seasons, johnson has compiled breathtaking career statistics. he has passed for 8,563 yards and rushed for 1,583 more. he needs two more td passes to reach 100 for his career something only seven division i-aa quarterbacks have achieved.

he led i-aa in passing efficiency and total offense a year ago, and tops both lists again this season. his quarterback rating of 225.4 is far better than the ncaa record.

johnson says he hardly pays attention to the stats. he's most proud of his ability to help his team win.

the toreros are 7-0 this season and were 11-1 each of the past two years. discounting the season opener this fall, which he sat out for violation of a team rule, johnson is 28-2 as a starter.

but there is some unfinished business. the toreros who will escape the smoke and ash of this week's southern california wildfires to play saturday at dayton, ohio have a nov. 17 rematch at uc davis, a scholarship program that beat usd last season.

"we want to go undefeated and make the (fcs) playoffs," johnson said.

even a perfect regular season won't guarantee usd a spot in the 16-team playoffs, because a non-scholarship team never has been included.

if that distinction derails the toreros, it won't sack johnson's ambitions, his coaches agree.

dougherty is convinced johnson will become an nfl starter someday, and harbaugh said, "it's very hard to describe, but he's got it, that gleam in his eye."

perhaps san diego magazine recognized the "it" factor when it included johnson among "50 people to watch in 2007."

it may turn out that we'll all be watching josh johnson far longer than that.

honestly, i wish people wouldn't act they they know for certain a guy will or won't make it. no one does. i understand strong opinions, but c'mon.

i like johnson as a prospect, and i think he will go in the 3rd or 4th round. someone may even take him in the 2nd like minnesota took jackson. the difference between johnson and jackson, though, is completion percentage. jackson was in the 50's and johnson is in the 70's. that's a huge difference that should not go unnoticed.

aren't you the one that had a thread titled "greatest mock ever" and ended up being one of the worst mock draft/offseason posted in the history of afmb? blink.gif

really? how 'bout we keep tabs on that "greatest mock ever" and the players i chose and see how many of them perform well at the next level...happy halloween, another brainless board minion...

he sounds like an intriguing prospect but it's an unnecessary risk to take for a team as bad as we are.

a team like the ravens can afford to take that kind of risk with all the pieces they have. we are rebuilding.

when you are rebuilding you need a more proven commodity to start with.

josh johnson could be the real deal but we can't afford to take that risk.

dixon might be tj 2.0 really.

that's silly. two things blow that up:

1. dixon is a i-a qb.

2. in his sleep dixon is more accurate than jackson ever was.

tarvaris jackson was a i-aa qb who never threw above 52% until his final year when he inched up to 60%. the last time dixon threw less than 60% completions was in 2004 as a freshman.

the whole calling josh johnson "the next tarvaris jackson" thing comes from him being a standout division i-aa qb. blink.gif

that's silly. two things blow that up:

1. dixon is a i-a qb.

2. in his sleep dixon is more accurate than jackson ever was.

tarvaris jackson was a i-aa qb who never threw above 52% until his final year when he inched up to 60%. the last time dixon threw less than 60% completions was in 2004 as a freshman.

the whole calling josh johnson "the next tarvaris jackson" thing comes from him being a standout division i-aa qb. blink.gif

yeah i just did a little 10 minute research:

tarvaris jackson career

537 completions

985 attempts

54.5 % completion percentage

7839 yards

67 touchdowns

27 interceptions

2.481/1 td/int ratio

259 rush attempts

982 yards

3.8 ypc

that completion percentage is bad for d-1a. for 1-aa that's just awful

and look at that td/int ratio. that's also not even good for 1-a.

and listen to this assesment:

negatives: erratic with his accuracy and usually high off the mark or behind receivers. shaky under pressure, rarely sets his feet and takes off out of the pocket too quickly.

analysis: a developmental prospect who could be stashed on a practice squad, jackson still needs a season or two to complete his game.

what the **** were the vikings thinking?

by comparison in josh johnson's last two years he's had 70 touchdowns to only 13 interceptions.

that's more tds passing in 2 years than travaris had in 3. and his td/int ratio and completion percentage during that span is leaps and bounds better.

and the season he's having right now is absurd.

i admit i judged josh johnson without any knowledge.

this guy is leaps and bounds a better prospect than travaris jackson and one we should keep our eye on.

here's the espn insider scout sheet on josh johnson for anyone who is interested... not sure when the last update was put in, i've checked on several other players and it doesn't reflect much (if anything) from this season.

strengths: possesses adequate height and enough room on his frame to add necessary bulk. excellent athlete for the position. has quick feet, gets set quickly and is agile enough to avoid pressure on a consistent basis. buys a lot of second-chance passing opportunities with his feet and is a legitimate running threat when he breaks contain. he can throw on the run with good velocity and accuracy. has a quick release and above-average arm strength. gets good zip on deep out throws and can fit the ball into some tight spots. seems to be most comfortable throwing vertically. he gets good air under his deep throws and shows good touch as a vertical passer. very good ball skills. has long arms and big hands. does a great job of selling play fakes.

weaknesses: lacks ideal size. height is adequate but not good and he must add bulk in order to hold up at the next level. he's a streaky passer that can be accurate at times but will lose the strike zone at other times. he needs to learn to change up his velocity on some of his throws; he tends to put too much zip on shorter throws. seems to struggle with his accuracy on underneath throws (screens, flares, dump offs, wheel routes, etc.) more than he does on intermediate-to-deep throws. he's a small-school quarterback (non-scholarship di-aa) that will undoubtedly have a severe learning curve in the nfl. still telegraphs too many of his throws and gets away with a lot of questionable decisions that he will pay for in the nfl.

overall: johnson has played in 34 games during his first three years (2004-'06) moving into the starting role in 2005 and completing 518 of 764 attempts (67.8-percent) for 6,711 yards with 70 touchdowns compared to just 14 interceptions. he also rushed for 1,138 yards and 17 touchdowns on 206 carries (5.5 average) from 2004-'06. johnson, a small school quarterback with nfl tools, is one of the most intriguing prospects in the 2008 class. he needs to add bulk to his tall but lanky frame and he still has much room to improve in terms of reading coverage and making his progressions. unfortunately for johnson, there's only so much more he's going to learn playing another season at the non-scholarship di-aa level. johnson will have his best chances to improve his draft stock during the post-season, where scouts can evaluate him against better competition at an all-star game and at the scouting combine. from what we've seen on film thus far, johnson has enough upside to grade out as a late-day 1 prospect.

* player biographies are provided by scouts inc.

here's the espn insider scout sheet on josh johnson for anyone who is interested... not sure when the last update was put in, i've checked on several other players and it doesn't reflect much (if anything) from this season.

strengths: possesses adequate height and enough room on his frame to add necessary bulk. excellent athlete for the position. has quick feet, gets set quickly and is agile enough to avoid pressure on a consistent basis. buys a lot of second-chance passing opportunities with his feet and is a legitimate running threat when he breaks contain. he can throw on the run with good velocity and accuracy. has a quick release and above-average arm strength. gets good zip on deep out throws and can fit the ball into some tight spots. seems to be most comfortable throwing vertically. he gets good air under his deep throws and shows good touch as a vertical passer. very good ball skills. has long arms and big hands. does a great job of selling play fakes.

weaknesses: lacks ideal size. height is adequate but not good and he must add bulk in order to hold up at the next level. he's a streaky passer that can be accurate at times but will lose the strike zone at other times. he needs to learn to change up his velocity on some of his throws; he tends to put too much zip on shorter throws. seems to struggle with his accuracy on underneath throws (screens, flares, dump offs, wheel routes, etc.) more than he does on intermediate-to-deep throws. he's a small-school quarterback (non-scholarship di-aa) that will undoubtedly have a severe learning curve in the nfl. still telegraphs too many of his throws and gets away with a lot of questionable decisions that he will pay for in the nfl.

overall: johnson has played in 34 games during his first three years (2004-'06) moving into the starting role in 2005 and completing 518 of 764 attempts (67.8-percent) for 6,711 yards with 70 touchdowns compared to just 14 interceptions. he also rushed for 1,138 yards and 17 touchdowns on 206 carries (5.5 average) from 2004-'06. johnson, a small school quarterback with nfl tools, is one of the most intriguing prospects in the 2008 class. he needs to add bulk to his tall but lanky frame and he still has much room to improve in terms of reading coverage and making his progressions. unfortunately for johnson, there's only so much more he's going to learn playing another season at the non-scholarship di-aa level. johnson will have his best chances to improve his draft stock during the post-season, where scouts can evaluate him against better competition at an all-star game and at the scouting combine. from what we've seen on film thus far, johnson has enough upside to grade out as a late-day 1 prospect.

no thanks.

did anyone else read this and think "contradictory"? it is either a strength, or a weakness, not both. his strength is his frame, his weakness is lack of bulk.

did anyone else read this and think "contradictory"? it is either a strength, or a weakness, not both. his strength is his frame, his weakness is lack of bulk.

obviously if that's the best "strength or weakness" they could come up with then his arm isn't really in question...

i think that's basically what it says, the wording is just a little misleading. when they say "size" i'm sure what they mean is his weight and bulk in relation to his height.