seven teams to fight over three college qbs

line of scrimmage: seven teams to fight over three college qbs

by tony moss, sports network

the sports network

is it too early to start talking about the draft? not if you're a fan of the atlanta falcons, minnesota vikings, or chicago bears, three teams with seasons going nowhere largely as a result of quarterback play. there should be little doubt that these three franchises will be forced to address the area of signal-caller in the offseason, and will likely be eyeing one of three big, strong-armed quarterbacks - louisville's brian brohm, boston college's matt ryan, and kentucky's andre woodson - the jewels of an '08 quarterback class that is shaping up to be a dandy.

each member of the qb trio has similar physical makeup. ryan and woodson are both listed at 6-foot-5, brohm is 6-4. all three range between 220 and 230 pounds. all three are pocket passers with decent but not spectacular mobility by nfl standards. each has been poised and efficient, displayed outstanding numbers, and won lots of big games.

what uniform will each wear next season? here's a look at seven teams that will likely head into the offseason with a need at the position, and might see their quarterback of the future in brohm, ryan, or woodson:

falcons

current record: 1-6

current qbs: byron leftwich, joey harrington, chris redman, d.j. shockley (injured), michael vick (suspended)

the skinny: this situation is about as easy to predict as christmas coming in december. it will be a shock if the falcons have any worse than a top-3 pick, and you have to believe that bobby petrino will do everything in his power to put his former louisville quarterback brohm in an atlanta uniform. whether he's the best quarterback of the three or not, brohm will be the best-versed in petrino's offensive system. leftwich could be kept on as a daunte culpepper-style caretaker, but it would be difficult to envision any of the other current falcons (including vick, who figures to be serving time) still with this organization come next august.

vikings

current record: 2-5

current qbs: kelly holcomb, tarvaris jackson, brooks bollinger

the skinny: minnesota head coach brad childress must decide whether the second-year-pro jackson, who has looked awful in a limited number of starts, has the ability to be even a mediocre nfl quarterback. childress is known as one of the more stubborn coaches in the league, but if he'd like to remain employed, he might have to cut bait with jackson, at least in a starting capacity. vikings fans would have to be very optimistic about a future backfield that included ryan or woodson alongside adrian peterson. holcomb and bollinger, meanwhile, will both be lucky to be picking up pro paychecks in 2008.

bears

current record: 3-5

current qbs: brian griese, rex grossman, kyle orton

the skinny: after benching grossman, who is in a contract year, the bears handed the reins to griese, who has shown exactly why he is a journeyman over a handful of starts. chicago has not had great luck with first-round qbs (grossman, cade mcnown), but if it has a shot at one of the "big 3", it's going to be difficult to look the other way. griese might be held onto if the team wants a veteran to teach the newbie the system, although there is still some intrigue both inside and outside the organization about orton, who hasn't played since going 10-5 as a thrown-into-the-fire rookie starter in 2005.

buccaneers

current record: 4-4

current qbs: jeff garcia, bruce gradkowski, luke mccown, chris simms (injured)

the skinny: garcia has been great but will be 38 next year, and none of the other qbs on the tampa roster scream "quarterback of the future." tampa bay hasn't taken a qb in the first round since trent dilfer in 1994, and even though jon gruden has yet to develop a young quarterback into a viable starter in a decade as an nfl head coach, he and the organization will have to give it another go at some point. if they continue to compete in a poor nfc south and make the postseason, tampa might eventually have to look at trading up if it wants a crack at brohm, ryan, or woodson.

ravens

current record: 4-3

current qbs: steve mcnair, kyle boller, troy smith

the skinny: mcnair will be 35 next february, has been plagued by injuries, and looks to have lost a couple miles per hour off the fastball. as much as baltimore loves his leadership, the organization has to be realistic about his ability to help them moving forward. boller just signed a contract extension, but it's doubtful that baltimore envisions him as its starter of the future. perhaps a bigger question for the ravens is whether they'll have a high-enough draft pick to land one of the top talents, or whether they'll be forced to look at second-tier options like oregon's dennis dixon or usc's john david booty. with a very difficult remaining schedule, it seems plausible that baltimore could end up somewhere in the top-15.

panthers

current record: 4-3

current qbs: david carr, vinny testaverde, jake delhomme (injured), brett basanez (injured)

the skinny: barring anything unforeseen, like consistently strong play from carr, delhomme will be the nominal starter heading into 2008. however, there's pretty much no chance that carolina will put its season 100 percent in the hands of a 33-year-old player coming off of elbow surgery, and one that has been somewhat erratic to boot. since carolina is likely to finish somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 wins, it might be forced to scan the free agent wire or the second-round for its next signal-caller.

jaguars

current record: 5-2

current qbs: david garrard, quinn gray, todd bouman

the skinny: jack del rio had enough confidence in garrard to make him the starter and cut byron leftwich following the preseason, but if jacksonville wants to get to the next level and challenge indianapolis atop the division, it is going to need more than a game manager. if there's a team that needs to make a denver-and-jay cutler type of move to get at or near the top 10, it's probably jacksonville, which has a ton of young talent but seems to be a qb short of becoming an afc power.

you realize your alone now hater?

dixon reminds me alot of akili smith...i like dixon and think he is a shoe-in(almost) for the heisman,

that being said i just don't see him being productive at the next level..

same with brian brohm and colt brennan

i do see matt ryan,andre woodson,john david booty,colt mccoy,tim tebow and chad henne being successful.

dixon reminds me alot of akili smith...i like dixon and think he is a shoe-in(almost) for the heisman,

i do see matt ryan,andre woodson,john david booty,colt mccoy,tim tebow and chad henne being successful.

again based on??

ryan choked for 58 mins in the only game where he has played anything close to a real d

andre woodson i agree, he is an incredible talent

booty is the qb of my team in college so you know i will tend ot be bias on this one but i know he isnt carson or matt, injury prone & soft

colt mccoy, cmon man

tebow will be there for 2 more yrs atleast 1 more, he throws a beautiful deep ball but that run 1st thing & his running style will get him hurt in the nfl

chad henne, cmon man pt2

i think you can add the jets to that list as well. it will be interesting to see if all 3 or these guys go in the first. i've been saying it all year, but i'd much rather us go with jake long in the first. even if that means another season w/o a starting caliber qb. we won't be competitive until we build an o line and putting a rookie behind the line we have now, will do nothing but wreck his confidence.

each member of the qb trio has similar physical makeup. ryan and woodson are both listed at 6-foot-5, brohm is 6-4. all three range between 220 and 230 pounds. all three are pocket passers with decent but not spectacular mobility by nfl standards. each has been poised and efficient, displayed outstanding numbers, and won lots of big games.

lol @ ryan's numbers in comparison to brohm and/or woodson.

they're not even close!

all that talk about drafting a qb, and one thing the original post has me wondering about is kyle orton. i know, i know....all the brohm/ryan/woodson guys are gonna kill me over this and so is dixon's bff 23vickfalcons wink.gif (kiddin'). but orton had big college stats and was projected to be a very good nfl starter and went 10-5 as a starting rookie. he didn't do much stats wise in 2005, but he did win. is he gonna be a free-agent or could he be traded for???? he obviously slept with the bears owners' daughter or something or he would be playing right now. laugh.giflaugh.gif

all that talk about drafting a qb, and one thing the original post has me wondering about is kyle orton. i know, i know....all the brohm/ryan/woodson guys are gonna kill me over this and so is dixon's bff 23vickfalcons wink.gif (kiddin'). but orton had big college stats and was projected to be a very good nfl starter and went 10-5 as a starting rookie. he didn't do much stats wise in 2005, but he did win. is he gonna be a free-agent or could he be traded for???? he obviously slept with the bears owners' daughter or something or he would be playing right now. laugh.giflaugh.gif

lol@ u using the phrase bff on a football board, this isnt teen beat magazine lol

i loved kyle orton in college

he had a running game & a monster d in chicago that yr.

they both played for oregon and the comparisons end there.

akili smith was dumb as bricks.

that's why he was a juco transfer and only had one year as a starter.

he also had a terrible completion percentage.

and he certainly didn't run a sub 4.5

lol@ u using the phrase bff on a football board, this isnt teen beat magazine lol

i loved kyle orton in college

he had a running game & a monster d in chicago that yr.

yah, it's called a joke wink.gif kinda like your screen name. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

and i figured that would be the kinda response i would get around here. dry.gif