my 1st 2008 mock

zach

my 2008 mock draft:

sign rt max starks- a big young right tackle that would do well in petrino's system

sign ss mike doss- if milloy leaves, could hold down the fort until/if stone is ready. when he started in 2003 & 2005 with the colts, had 179 tackles, 3 ints, and 3 forced fumbles over those 2 years

resign cb deangelo hall long term- we can't afford to let a young, top corner go

resign lb michael boley long term- will be a pro bowler

the draft: (the quotes are basically scouting that i was too lazy to write)

1 andre woodson, qb, kentucky- our franchise qb.

there is a lot to like about woodson, he is tall and big at 6 5 230 pounds and he stands tall in the pocket with an overhead delivery, he will rarely have a ball batted down at the line of scrimmage. he sees the field very well and doesn t stare down just the primary receiver, he is very well coached and is adept at reading defenses; he is just a heady player that makes good decisions with the ball. he has a very strong arm and has very good accuracy with good touch. woodson is a young man of very high character, is coachable and stays calm under pressure. he has the mental make up that will make an elite nfl quarterback.

woodson s only real weakness is that he has a slow delivery, one that could give nfl cornerbacks an extra split second to react on the ball. however, our good qb coach in bill musgrave can easily correct this, especially if we sit him the first year, groom him, let him adjust to the nfl and petrino s system. then, behind a revamped line, let him tear it up in 2009.

2a- ryan clady, ot, boise state- i really hope he declares and he lasts to here, he's big (6 6, 315), moves his feet well, athletic, and smart. he was a big part of a boise state line that helped them finish 2nd in the nation in scoring & rushing tds. named to outland trophy and rotary lombardi watch lists, and a preseason all america by sporting news. a great left tackle and a great cornerstone for a rebuilding line. if he doesn t declare or he isn t here, then take tony hills from texas.

2b (20, from hou)- dre moore, dt, maryland- coleman can't stay healthy & is grady was cut. moore really showed up on national tv a few weeks ago & was in west virginia's backfield the majority of the plays. also runs a 4.82 40 at 298 pounds. good combo of size, speed, and agility. hes a great all around dt who can rush the passer too (3.5 sacks last year). can play behind either lewis at nt or babineaux at ut, and should provide competition at either spot.

here i would like to trade down because of many players i like in the 3-4th round range. so trade our 3rd for a 3rd and fourth around 20 lets say.

3 (20s, trade down)- ben moffitt, mlb, usf- zimmer likes fast lbs for his scheme. moffitt is just that. ran a 4.55 40. 112 tackles and 11 tackles for loss with four sacks last year. keith needs to be moved back to wlb after demo leaves, and moffitt can replace him at the mlb spot.

4- jordan grimes, og, purdue- big (325 lbs), 2nd team all big 10, big mauler guard for petrino s system, 2nd team all big 10 and part of line that helped purdue lead big ten and rank 13th nationally in total offense. purdue s line also allowed a sack once an average of every 37.35 times in the last 2 years. grimes was a big part of that. he will be here because guards normally drop in the draft.

4b (20s, from trade down)- bobbie williams, fs, bethune cookman- depth behind jimmy at fs, and could possibly give him some competition- thats always good. has 13 picks going into this season, which is 3rd nationally, and led his team in tackles with 75, including 43 of those solo. good depth and possibly competition for jimmy.

4c (kerney comp)- benjarvus green ellis, rb, ole miss- we need a big bruiser rb for petrino s system. green ellis is big at 5 11 and 235 pounds. plus, he did all this in just 2006:

all-sec first team selection by the associated press and a second team pick by the league's coaches his 1,000 yards rushing was the fourth-highest total in school history and the third-most yards in the sec in 2006 ... set a school record with 234 rushing attempts & ranked third in the sec with 83.3 yards rushing per game ... played in all 12 games, starting the first 11 of the season ...... eclipsed the 100-yard mark in rushing four times during the season ... also caught eight passes for 43 yards

and this is all in the sec. he and norwood will form a dominant running game behind a much bigger & better line in 2008.

5- adam spieker, c, mizzou- mcclure doesn t fit petrino s scheme. spieker is pretty big at 6 5 and 305 pounds. he has been named to the rimington watch list, (the nation's top center) in each of the last three seasons. makes checks on the line and is very smart. spieker could battle it out for the center spot with datish in 2008. some say he might go higher than this, but he s 9th on scott wright s rankings and not in the top 10 on gbns rankings.

6a- bryan mattison, de, iowa- depth behind abe to keep him healthy is key. mattison is a good pass rusher who has 11.5 career sacks. this is probably because of attention focused on kenny iwebema, but there will still be attention focused on abraham/anderson/whoever with the falcons. good depth on passing downs.

6b (rossum trade)- brandon coutu/art carmody/alexis serna, ks- we need a kicker, no doubt. all these three are good kickers with accuracy and range in order of who i want. i didnt chose just one because you never know where kickers will go in the draft

7a- patrick carter, kr, louisville- we could use a kr. runs a 4.32 40 and he's from louisville

7b (griffith comp)- ammari jackson, wr, south florida- 6'5, 4.52 forty. worth a flyer.

players let go(cuts/retirements/free agent walks that i know of)

ot wayne gandy

dt rod coleman

ss lawyer milloy

lb demorrio williams

any others...?

depth chart:

/= depth

-= position battle

italic= new player

qb: leftwich/woodson/redman

rb: norwood/green ellis/dunn

fb: mughelli/mcintyre

te: crumpler/blakely/milner

wr: white/horn/robinson/jenkins/jennings/jackson

lt: clady-weiner

lg: blalock/clabo

c: datish-spieker/mcclure

rg: forney-grimes

rt: starks/ojinnaka

le: anderson/davis

nt: lewis/stanley

ut: babineaux-moore

re: abraham/mattison

wlb: brooking/nicholas

mlb: moffitt/taylor

slb: boley/wilkins

cb: hall/houston/sanders/irons

fs: j. williams/b. williams

ss: doss- crocker/stone

well thats my first mock. i personally believe it will leave us in great shape and in good position for a playoff run in 2009-2010. please leave comments, positive or negative, but please make the criticism constructive. thanks for reading