mock draft v.4.0

Kayoh

okay, here we go again with another new mock draft by welcome to atlanta. you guys are probably already sick of seeing these things already, and it’s not even offseason yet. i guess that’s what happens when the playoffs are pretty much out of question by week 8.

nonetheless, i’m going to have us picking 3rd, behind st. louis and miami. houston is picking 16th, just so that we’ve got our 2nd round pick clarified. i also have us getting a 3rd round compensatory pick for patrick kerney and a 6th round compensatory pick for justin griffith.

also, this specific scenario has us trading our #3 overall pick to dallas for both of their picks, #14 and #30 overall.

let’s start this, then.

round 1, pick 14: atlanta selects michael oher, left offensive tackle, mississippi

this kid is special. not only did i personally do a little research on ideal size for left tackles in the nfl and find oher to be the closest(if not the only) match to this ideal, but then i did a little further research on oher himself and found that he is the subject of a book by michael lewis called “the blind side”, and that lewis pretty much sees him as a perfect nfl prospect in terms of both size, power, and quickness and speed. i’m not completely sure why he’s not projected to go higher in this draft, although if i had to guess, i’d say that it’s because this season is only his second season playing left tackle, and before, during his freshman year, he was a right guard. however, since making the move to tackle, he’s held down the rather demanding position with the highest regard, and is definitely mississippi’s most talented lineman by a longshot. needless to say, oher is an ideal pick with this one.

round 1, pick 31: atlanta selects james laurinitis, middle linebacker, ohio state

in my personal opinion, laurinitis is the best, true middle linebacker available in this draft until at least the third round, because it seems like everybody up until jonathan goff are kind of like mlb/olb ‘tweeners. dan connor is kind of hot and cold, wheeler is more of an olb, beau bell is pretty good, if laurinitis weren’t on the board, i’d want us to take bell, and i just don’t like tavares goodman for some odd reason. nonetheless, whether you’re me or not, james laurinitis is ranked as the best mlb coming out for the draft on a good majority of draft boards anyway, so it’s all good. hopefully he can step in and allow us to trade keith brooking for a team desperate for a mlb that humps his should-be tackles into submission, unless he’s tackling one of his own teammates.

round 2, pick 3: atlanta selects jonathan stewart, running back, oregon

some people are going to start preaching to me, now that we need to take the best qb available with our first pick. to be honest, i strongly disagree, but mostly just because i have my eyes on a later round qb that will be readily available for the picking in the late 2nd-early 3rd round. stewart is the big, feature back that bobby petrino so desperately needs in this system. no, he doesn’t just need somebody that can break tackles, he needs somebody who moves piles. that’s what jonathan stewart brings. not only does he move piles, but as john clayton would say, he is “sneaky fast”. he even returns punts and kicks in college, and while we wouldn’t use our starting back on returns, it just goes to show how fast he is for his size. it’s great. he actually reminds me a lot of larry johnson, in that he improves with every touch he gets. just think about this: in oregon’s one loss so far this season, stewart had 21 carries for 120 yards. in arguably stewart’s best game ever, against washington last week, stewart had 32 carries for --- i’m not making this up --- 251 yards. he had ~1.5 x the amount of carries, and well over double the yardage. petrino wants to feed the studs? he just got a new empty stomach.

round 2, pick 16: atlanta selects jeff otah, right offensive tackle, pittsburgh

this is another one of those mauler-types that bobby needs on his line. the right tackle is supposed to be the best run blocker on an offensive line, and if i were to describe otah’s run blocking in one word, it would be “explosive”. he is massive, and is an incredible athlete for his size. granted, he’s no walter thomas, doing back flips at 370 lbs or anything like that, but he has just such a rare combination of size, strength, and athleticism that i genuinely think that bobby will be way too excited to think twice about getting him at this pick. to be honest, if our first 4 picks go like this, i’ll have to learn how to do a standing back flip myself. two incredibly high touted tackles, an all-pro mlb, and the best feature back in the draft in two rounds, and i’d be damned near ecstasy.

round 3, pick 3: atlanta selects dennis dixon, quarterback, oregon

i told you guys i would come through with our franchise quarterback by round three. do i ever fail you? pfft. dixon is an incredible athlete, to the degree of a slightly less elusive michael vick. he’s drawn comparisons to akili smith, but if you take all of smith’s negatives that caused his nfl career to tank, and completely flip them around so that they’re positives to the same degree, that’s what you’ve got in dixon. smith’s knocks were his experience, completion percentage, and the fact that he was an “i” player, much like another athletic quarterback that was recently arrested for fighting dogs. dixon has 2 ½ years as a starter with oregon, around a 70% cmp pct, and he is absolutely a team player. the best part, i haven’t even gotten to, yet. dixon isn’t like michael vick in that when michael vick’s #1 receiver was covered, maybe his #2, his first instinct would be to run. i’ve seen dennis dixon play, and i can tell everybody right now that he would rather throw the ball than run it. he actually checks down, and if he feels like a better option than throwing to his check down would be to run, then he’ll be off to the races. i could probably go on for hours about how talented this kid is, but i think i should cut myself off right here. next pick.

round 3, pick 33: atlanta selects jonathan luigs, center, arkansas

another dominating run blocker. you know that mcfadden kid that plays on the same team as this dude? yeah, who do you think makes holes for him? ta-da! jonathan luigs is actually arkansas’ best run blocker, and i’m not the only person saying that; you can look it up for yourself, or, you know, just watch an arkansas game where their running game is moving the ball reasonably well. luigs dominates at times. he’s currently the top center prospect in the 2009 draft in the sec, and i’m willing to count those chickens before they hatch.

round 4, pick 3: atlanta selects b.j. raji, defensive tackle, boston college

this is one big boy. 6’2”(same as rod, grady, and jbabs) and 338 pounds. the main reason behind this is our run defense, and the fact that we just cut big grady makes things even worse. he’s actually a grady-type player, in that what he lacks in sack production, he makes up for in tackle for loss production. so, not just a big body, but a productive big body, too. not only that, but a productive big body starting for an undefeated team in the acc. not bad, i’d say. i’ll take it!

round 5, pick 3: atlanta selects greyson gunheim, defensive end, washington

i looked him up, and apparently he is 6̵

james laurinaitis will not last till the 31st pick, and stewart will go in round 1. it would be a great draft if those guys were there, but we'd be lucky to even have a chance at dixon in the 3rd at the rate some of these guys are playing. also, raji hasn't even played a snap this year (ineligibility & red shirt), so i don't even see him coming out this year.

he may be the 31st best player in the draft, but a team like cincinnati will draft him top 15 if he is still there.

you don't think they'd take dan connor? i've seen him ranked #1 on a few draft sites, too. it's kind of 50/50 between laurinitis and connor, i just like laurinitis' swagger a lot more than dan connor.

you don't think they'd take dan connor? i've seen him ranked #1 on a few draft sites, too. it's kind of 50/50 between laurinitis and connor, i just like laurinitis' swagger a lot more than dan connor.

laruinaitis, imo, is the best lb in this draft. if we had a shot at him, mid 1st round, i'd be all over it. as for the bengals, they need a true mlb, which i see james' being the only non-tweener in this draft.

this would be great... not sure it's realistic, but it would be a great draft.

yeah, i don't think it's realistic... that's a lot of players that we could use as starters almost immediately and at picks that they probably won't be available at.

hence, i would pee myself if this were our draft. laugh.gif

okay, here we go again with another new mock draft by welcome to atlanta. you guys are probably already sick of seeing these things already, and it s not even offseason yet. i guess that s what happens when the playoffs are pretty much out of question by week 8.

nonetheless, i m going to have us picking 3rd, behind st. louis and miami. houston is picking 16th, just so that we ve got our 2nd round pick clarified. i also have us getting a 3rd round compensatory pick for patrick kerney and a 6th round compensatory pick for justin griffith.

also, this specific scenario has us trading our #3 overall pick to dallas for both of their picks, #14 and #30 overall.

let s start this, then.

round 1, pick 14: atlanta selects michael oher, left offensive tackle, mississippi

this kid is special. not only did i personally do a little research on ideal size for left tackles in the nfl and find oher to be the closest(if not the only) match to this ideal, but then i did a little further research on oher himself and found that he is the subject of a book by michael lewis called the blind side , and that lewis pretty much sees him as a perfect nfl prospect in terms of both size, power, and quickness and speed. i m not completely sure why he s not projected to go higher in this draft, although if i had to guess, i d say that it s because this season is only his second season playing left tackle, and before, during his freshman year, he was a right guard. however, since making the move to tackle, he s held down the rather demanding position with the highest regard, and is definitely mississippi s most talented lineman by a longshot. needless to say, oher is an ideal pick with this one.

round 1, pick 31: atlanta selects james laurinitis, middle linebacker, ohio state

in my personal opinion, laurinitis is the best, true middle linebacker available in this draft until at least the third round, because it seems like everybody up until jonathan goff are kind of like mlb/olb tweeners. dan connor is kind of hot and cold, wheeler is more of an olb, beau bell is pretty good, if laurinitis weren t on the board, i d want us to take bell, and i just don t like tavares goodman for some odd reason. nonetheless, whether you re me or not, james laurinitis is ranked as the best mlb coming out for the draft on a good majority of draft boards anyway, so it s all good. hopefully he can step in and allow us to trade keith brooking for a team desperate for a mlb that humps his should-be tackles into submission, unless he s tackling one of his own teammates.

round 2, pick 3: atlanta selects jonathan stewart, running back, oregon

some people are going to start preaching to me, now that we need to take the best qb available with our first pick. to be honest, i strongly disagree, but mostly just because i have my eyes on a later round qb that will be readily available for the picking in the late 2nd-early 3rd round. stewart is the big, feature back that bobby petrino so desperately needs in this system. no, he doesn t just need somebody that can break tackles, he needs somebody who moves piles. that s what jonathan stewart brings. not only does he move piles, but as john clayton would say, he is sneaky fast . he even returns punts and kicks in college, and while we wouldn t use our starting back on returns, it just goes to show how fast he is for his size. it s great. he actually reminds me a lot of larry johnson, in that he improves with every touch he gets. just think about this: in oregon s one loss so far this season, stewart had 21 carries for 120 yards. in arguably stewart s best game ever, against washington last week, stewart had 32 carries for --- i m not making this up --- 251 yards. he had ~1.5 x the amount of carries, and well over double the yardage. petrino wants to feed the studs? he just got a new empty stomach.

round 2, pick 16: atlanta selects jeff otah, right offensive tackle, pittsburgh

this is another one of those mauler-types that bobby needs on his line. the right tackle is supposed to be the best run blocker on an offensive line, and if i were to describe otah s run blocking in one word, it would be explosive . he is massive, and is an incredible athlete for his size. granted, he s no walter thomas, doing back flips at 370 lbs or anything like that, but he has just such a rare combination of size, strength, and athleticism that i genuinely think that bobby will be way too excited to think twice about getting him at this pick. to be honest, if our first 4 picks go like this, i ll have to learn how to do a standing back flip myself. two incredibly high touted tackles, an all-pro mlb, and the best feature back in the draft in two rounds, and i d be damned near ecstasy.

round 3, pick 3: atlanta selects dennis dixon, quarterback, oregon

i told you guys i would come through with our franchise quarterback by round three. do i ever fail you? pfft. dixon is an incredible athlete, to the degree of a slightly less elusive michael vick. he s drawn comparisons to akili smith, but if you take all of smith s negatives that caused his nfl career to tank, and completely flip them around so that they re positives to the same degree, that s what you ve got in dixon. smith s knocks were his experience, completion percentage, and the fact that he was an i player, much like another athletic quarterback that was recently arrested for fighting dogs. dixon has 2 ½ years as a starter with oregon, around a 70% cmp pct, and he is absolutely a team player. the best part, i haven t even gotten to, yet. dixon isn t like michael vick in that when michael vick s #1 receiver was covered, maybe his #2, his first instinct would be to run. i ve seen dennis dixon play, and i can tell everybody right now that he would rather throw the ball than run it. he actually checks down, and if he feels like a better option than throwing to his check down would be to run, then he ll be off to the races. i could probably go on for hours about how talented this kid is, but i think i should cut myself off right here. next pick.

round 3, pick 33: atlanta selects jonathan luigs, center, arkansas

another dominating run blocker. you know that mcfadden kid that plays on the same team as this dude? yeah, who do you think makes holes for him? ta-da! jonathan luigs is actually arkansas best run blocker, and i m not the only person saying that; you can look it up for yourself, or, you know, just watch an arkansas game where their running game is moving the ball reasonably well. luigs dominates at times. he s currently the top center prospect in the 2009 draft in the sec, and i m willing to count those chickens before they hatch.

round 4, pick 3: atlanta selects b.j. raji, defensive tackle, boston college

this is one big boy. 6 2 (same as rod, grady, and jbabs) and 338 pounds. the main reason behind this is our run defense, and the fact that we just cut big grady makes things even worse. he s actually a grady-type player, in that what he lacks in sack production, he makes up for in tackle for loss production. so, not just a big body, but a productive big body, too. not only that, but a productive big body starting for an undefeated team in the acc. not bad, i d say. i ll take it!

round 5, pick 3: atlanta selects greyson gunheim, defensive end, washington

i looked him up, and apparently he is 6 4 267 lbs and runs a 4.6 40. that amazes me, because abe himself, w

if oher declares, he will be rated above jake long.....after all the workouts. alathough i have never seen him, oher is supposed to be the ideal lt. i doubt he falls out of the top ten (at worst).

stewart is a first round rb. otah is a reach in the second round. he is definitely a rt....and a good prospect. i would have gone for the best og on the board. if jeremy perry is still there, we would make a huge upgrade to the ol by taking him.

i like the dixon and luig picks.

raji will stay in college. mckay needs to work some magic to find another trey lewis.

the gunheim pick is interesting. i have never heard of him, but he warrants some attention.

laruinaitis, imo, is the best lb in this draft. if we had a shot at him, mid 1st round, i'd be all over it. as for the bengals, they need a true mlb, which i see james' being the only non-tweener in this draft.

on the contrary, they need olb and 'tweeners in the worst way. they are banking on brooks becoming a stud lb, which he is proving that he may become, but his nagging injuries flare up often. they have average olbs, and a possible-star mlb with nagging injuries. they desperately need an olb that can play mlb.

the mock is great, but dallas wouldn't want the third overall pick. they don't want to pay that kind of money for a rookie, and they don't really have that big of a glaring need in any of their positions to trade up for a third overall pick. and why would we have three centers? that center was a waste of a pick. and james laurinitis, because he's the best linebacker in the crowd, is going to go top 20 without a doubt. linebackers don't exactly fall in the draft like defensive tackles do. michael oher is raw, but he's definetly got the most potential out of all of them. good job picking him. i'll just say that depending on how many junior offensive tackles declare for the draft, michael oher has a slight chance of falling to the second round. i don't see him passing st. louis and miami at that point though.

on the contrary, they need olb and 'tweeners in the worst way. they are banking on brooks becoming a stud lb, which he is proving that he may become, but his nagging injuries flare up often. they have average olbs, and a possible-star mlb with nagging injuries. they desperately need an olb that can play mlb.

hartwell (who gets treated like he never did anything in the nfl) was a good player who's injuries got the better of him. if laurinaitis is there when the bengals pick, they will be taking him, regardless of what they think brooks is going to become.

linebackers don't exactly fall in the draft like defensive tackles do.

actually, lbs and rbs are the two positions most devalued on draft day due to the premise that these slots are easier to fill, thereby making teams reticent to spend more cap space on them unless the prospects are special (which is how lod jr. qualifies). dt, on the other hand, is frequently overvalued since it has positional scarcity issues. this is why guys like justin harrell and john mccargo have been overdrafted the past couple of years. both were reaches due to the fear that neither would be available later in the draft.