2005:

jammal brown- #13 1 pb

alex barron- #19

2006:

d'brickashaw ferguson- #4

2007:

joe thomas- #3

levi brown- #5

who on this list, would you be happy drafting at #1-3?

if im picking in the top 3... i want a completely dominant lt...

is jake long that dominant lt??

nfl draft countdown mock draft:

since thomas was taken at #3 and levi was taken at #5 that still makes him a top 5 pick if that's true.

levi brown at #5 was a pretty big reach...i would have said he was a #10-#15 pick, but i'm no expert. i wouldn't be upset with long with a top 5 pick, but i think there are a few guys(more than 5) that are better than him in my opinion, but they may not be exactly what the falcons. and the falcons definitely need a ot.

nfl draft scout:

new nfl draft:

#1 overall pick

http://newnfldraft.com/

football expert:

#1 overall pick

http://www.thefootballexpert.com/abromowit...raft080002.html

if he's there when we pick we better **** well take him! who will start at lt next year if we don't?!?!?!

i never asked where he was ranked on scout sites... i asked who on that list would you take at #1-3 over all...

orlando pace:

pace is considered to be one of the top offensive lineman in the history of college football.

he was so dominant that the term pancake block - referring to when an offensive lineman knocks a defender on their back - gained popularity due to his play. in fact, the ohio state athletic department distributed orlando pace pancake magnets as a promotion for his heisman trophy run. pace did not allow a sack in his last two years at ohio state.

walter jones:

eight-time winner of the victors club given to the player for exceptional performance. redshirted in 1995 after transferring from holmes community college in holmes, miss. lettered two seasons and was named mississippi junior college player of the year by the jackson clarion-ledger in 1994. allowed just one sack in two seasons.

if we are getting similar to one of these guys, then im all for jake long... we cant afford to ###### up any picks in the

next few drafts though...

i would still rank glenn dorsey and dmac above him though...

levi brown at #5 was a pretty big reach...i would have said he was a #10-#15 pick, but i'm no expert. i wouldn't be upset with long with a top 5 pick, but i think there are a few guys(more than 5) that are better than him in my opinion, but they may not be exactly what the falcons. and the falcons definitely need a ot.

it is all opinion. i thought he was a reach too, but the cardinals (coaching) staff actually had brown ranked above joe thomas. the front office seemed to disagree, and wanted thomas, and there was some noted debate over the two.

it turns out az didnt have to cause waves inside over the pick when cle took thomas #3, where many thought they would take all day peterson. thomas looks like a very wise pick for cle so far, although who knows how much better (or worse) there offense might be with peterson.

as a cle fan, i can say there arent many browns fans out there griping over taking joe thomas.

it is all opinion. i thought he was a reach too, but the cardinals (coaching) staff actually had brown ranked above joe thomas. the front office seemed to disagree, and wanted thomas, and there was some noted debate over the two.

it turns out az didnt have to cause waves inside over the pick when cle took thomas #3, where many thought they would take all day peterson. thomas looks like a very wise pick for cle so far, although who knows how much better (or worse) there offense might be with peterson.

as a cle fan, i can say there arent many browns fans out there griping over taking joe thomas.

meanwhile, arizona fans are going nuts over the fact that levi brown has been nothing short of dreadful when he's gotten on the field and they passed on adrian peterson to take him. i'm not going to lie. i was kind of stunned by how poorly brown played against the redskins before they put him back on the bench. on the sack he gave up that caused the fumble, the play by play guy was brutal. he said something like, "if you're going to play at this level, you at least have to try." the arizona cardinals beat writer has a blog, and he actually went into the locker room after the game to ask why they had brown in there since it was obvious he wasn't ready. brown said he couldn't hear any of the snap counts since it was so loud at the stadium, and that's why he was struggling so much. yikes!

that one, gaines adams and ted ginn are the ones that are looking the worst thus far (oakland not included since that one's impossible to judge thus far). ap is pretty clearly the best one with okoye, cj and thomas all looking good. anderson falls somewhere in the middle, as does landry.

meanwhile, arizona fans are going nuts over the fact that levi brown has been nothing short of dreadful when he's gotten on the field and they passed on adrian peterson to take him. i'm not going to lie. i was kind of stunned by how poorly brown played against the redskins before they put him back on the bench. on the sack he gave up that caused the fumble, the play by play guy was brutal. he said something like, "if you're going to play at this level, you at least have to try." the arizona cardinals beat writer has a blog, and he actually went into the locker room after the game to ask why they had brown in there since it was obvious he wasn't ready. brown said he couldn't hear any of the snap counts since it was so loud at the stadium, and that's why he was struggling so much. yikes!

that one, gaines adams and ted ginn are the ones that are looking the worst thus far (oakland not included since that one's impossible to judge thus far). ap is pretty clearly the best one with okoye, cj and thomas all looking good. anderson falls somewhere in the middle, as does landry.

dont forget patrick willis... he has been nothing short of sensational...

i still wish we had of picked him up, he was well worth a top 10 pick...

dont forget patrick willis... he has been nothing short of sensational...

i still wish we had of picked him up, he was well worth a top 10 pick...

i mentioned this last night. i thought jamaal anderson was a better player than willis, but i had started a thread about how i thought willis wouldn't be a reach at #8. i've seen the 49ers play 4 times this year, and he is a superstar. patrick willis is a man-monster of pain.

that is very debatable. the sane cards fans know that ap wouldn't be ap behind the line they had last year.

i respect that the fan was optimistic and not willing to cede the point based on what has happened thus far. unfortunately, it's not a discussion of the theoretical any more. peterson is the heavy favorite to be the nfl rookie of the year on offense and he's almost certainly a pro bowler to boot. brown couldn't beat out chike okeafor in camp, got beaten out by mike gandy and elton brown in the regular season and has been benched for not being able to block andre carter at all. he's played in four games and gotten benched twice. it's a brave, brave cardinals fan who wants to argue that's a better pick than ap right now.

the cardinals were smart to invest in o-line and edge is reaping the rewards this year.

edge is reaping the benefits of playing behind a line coached by the hogs, whisenhunt and grimm. it's their playcalling and tutelage that is making the difference. as for having a stud lt, i don't know who that would be. mike gandy is a guy i have never considered a stud. this is his third team in three years, so i can't imagine anyone else in the nfl thinks that. the backups to him are brown, who wasn't starting that game then got pulled for giving up hurries on four consecutive plays, and lyle sendlein, who played lt shockingly well in the 4th quarter for an undrafted free agent center. he was blalock's teammate at texas last year, which makes me regret that we didn't give him a look. he outplayed a top 5 draft pick last weekend at the same position in the same situation. putting him with blalock again might have been nice for us.

the current arizona offensive line is a hodgepodge of mediocre talent. it's succeeding due to brilliant coaching schemes, which was the reason why i was hoping we would give russ grimm a look as our head coach last year. folks may recall that i liked grimm more than whisenhunt. he's one of the finest o-line minds of our era.

i mentioned this last night. i thought jamaal anderson was a better player than willis, but i had started a thread about how i thought he wouldn't be a reach at #8. i've seen the 49ers play 4 times this year, and he is a superstar. patrick willis is a man-monster of pain.

ive seen the 49's play 3 times this year, and willis looks like a seasoned pro... the guy is a stud and barring injury

will be a hofer with the talent, smarts and leadership he already has. he is only going to get better and better imo and

will be the glue that holds that defense together for years to come. san fran has a true centerpiece on defense to build

around now, and it wont be long before their defense becomes great... in fact i dont think its a stretch to say san fran

will be a really good team soon... another draft and some smart free agent decisions, and they are well on their way...

he has droy just about sewn up and we are only half way through the season... to be totally honest with you, i would

of rather have picked him at 8 and made davis as the starter for a year or picked up another de in the 3rd... **** we

probably could of signed a free agent de for a year or two until we addressed it in another draft...

ive seen the 49's play 3 times this year, and willis looks like a seasoned pro... the guy is a stud and barring injury

will be a hofer with the talent, smarts and leadership he already has. he is only going to get better and better imo and

will be the glue that holds that defense together for years to come. arizona has a true centerpiece on defense to build

around now, and it wont be long before their defense becomes great... in fact i dont think its a stretch to say arizona

will be a really good team soon... another draft and some smart free agent decisions, and they are well on their way...

it has really hurt leinarts development as a qb going down for the season, which is a pretty big blow for them.

he has droy just about sewn up and we are only half way through the season... to be totally honest with you, i would

of rather have picked him at 8 and made davis as the starter for a year or picked up another de in the 3rd... **** we

probably could of signed a free agent de for a year or two until we addressed it in another draft...

did i miss the transition from 49ers to arizona? you do know it isn't the arizona 49ers, right?

to be totally honest with you, i would

at this point, he has clearly outplayed anderson as well as almost every other guy in the 2007 draft save for maybe five. so, i do wonder about it in hindsight, partially because it's so easy to root for willis as a person (same as anderson). i think that in our situation, it made the most sense to take the de with freakish upside, but i liked both of those options. i've heard mckay comment on peterson, landry, carriker and some others in the upper portion of the first round, but i never heard him directly address what we thought of willis. i wonder what sort of trade down would have been required to make him our bpa. miami was going to take anderson at #9. their gm said as much. would a swap to #10 put us on okoye or willis? i'd like to know the answer to that at some point.

i mentioned this last night. i thought jamaal anderson was a better player than willis, but i had started a thread about how i thought willis wouldn't be a reach at #8. i've seen the 49ers play 4 times this year, and he is a superstar. patrick willis is a man-monster of pain.

this is what a hall of famer looks like mckay. -this is what captioned a picture of willis playing with a cast on his arm in my sig last year

i tried and tried to tell people that willis was the best player in that draft class but nobody would listen. all things being equal, in a one on one situation, willis would consistently beat peterson.

nfl draft scout:

new nfl draft:

#1 overall pick

http://newnfldraft.com/

football expert:

#1 overall pick

http://www.thefootballexpert.com/abromowit...raft080002.html

if he's there when we pick we better **** well take him! who will start at lt next year if we don't?!?!?!

this draft is stockpiled with great and solid left tackles. michael oher, gosder cherilus, barry richardson, tony hills. just because he's that good doesn't mean we have to burn that oh so important third overall pick on him.