post your personal priority list for the "08 draft

ggarcia

i have been mulling this one over for some time. i have read most of the posts here and i am impressed with the collective "wisdom." when i first started thinking about the '08 draft (about three weeks ago), i had mcfadden pegged as my number one choice. i'll list my current thinking and i's like to hear from the rest of you.

1 glenn dorsey. he is easily the best dt in the draft. a 300lb'er with quickness. he has anchored the lsu defense and has lived with double and triple teams in the sec. he would make a huge difference in our d. by the way, our defense is looking good and is not far from being scary.

2 jake long. foster played with heart and did a decent job. in my opinion, he is a rt and a good one. long is a starter from day one and could be a star in two seasons. some people feel that he can not handle speed rushers. i have not seen him much, but from what i have seen, he can handle the nfl just fine.

3 darren mcfadden. this guy is going to be a star. the only reason he is not number one is because we already have a very good rb in norwood and we already have a good short yardage rb in mughelli. our ol stinks, so simply adding a rb will do no good unless the ol is upgraded. while the ot's get a lot of attention, i think that the interior ol has to be revamped. the first step was drafing blalock. mcfadden is an impact player and would give poor blank a face to market.

4 kenny phillips. i know that this is a shock to most of you. currently, phillips is ranked by gbnreports as the number six draft prospect. if you take a look at the fs crop, there is a huge gap between phillips and the rest. he not only is a phenomenal athlete, he has the study skills of ed reed. pair him with williams in the secondary and our defense gets its big play maker.

5 matt ryan. there is something about this guy that screams quality. i don't know how tall he is, nor how fast he is. but, i can tell you that he is a nfl qb. he handles pressure in the pocket very well and makes excellent decisions. he will probably be number one on some lists. i don't see qb as the greatest need for our team. leftwich has promise and harrington would be fine with better ol play. and, i am still confident that shockley will be a good qb with more time.

6 andre woodson. he is a very good talent and he was my favorite qb coming into this season. the difference between him and ryan is slight. it is possible that after a few more games, i will flip the two qb's. right now, i have him at #6 and would be happy to see him as a falcon.

7 sedrick ellis. he is just a shade under 300lbs and is very quick. he would look good next to trey lewis, but so does coleman and babs. he gets knocked down due to his type of play (ut) and our present status at that position.

8 brian brohm. he is obviously the most petrino-ready of the qb's. i rank him below the other qb's based on what i have seen of his natural talent. i know that he has avid fans on this board, but i see him like last year's brady quinn. if we don't take him early, he stands a good chance of dropping. he is still a first round pick, but i think that he will spend some uncomfortable time in the green room.

priority list (by position) as of now:

1. o-line (our defensive line has 3 solid players, only missing 1 now...o line is a long way from good)

2. qb- it's high time we settle in with a solid franchise qb (sorry vick, you never were)

3. mlb- i love brooking, always have. poster child (along with dunn) for the ultimate team player of the falcons. but he is not a mlb (and i don't think he ever claimed to be one) he made the move b/c of the simple fact of a need.

4. dt - dorsey would be lovely in the 1st round, but i don't see that happening. we may address this position in fa with the cap room we're gonna have, but i don't see us grabbing him...as of now

5. kicker - for the love of god, the top kickers in the game are still paid marginally compared to other positions....quick trying to save money and either draft someone like koutu from uga, or one of the other top kickers out of college, or go sign a proven veteran

man, we just need 3 top 10 overall picks, and we'd be looking great! unsure.gif

priority list (by position) as of now:

1. o-line (our defensive line has 3 solid players, only missing 1 now...o line is a long way from good)

2. qb- it's high time we settle in with a solid franchise qb (sorry vick, you never were)

3. mlb- i love brooking, always have. poster child (along with dunn) for the ultimate team player of the falcons. but he is not a mlb (and i don't think he ever claimed to be one) he made the move b/c of the simple fact of a need.

4. dt - dorsey would be lovely in the 1st round, but i don't see that happening. we may address this position in fa with the cap room we're gonna have, but i don't see us grabbing him...as of now

5. kicker - for the love of god, the top kickers in the game are still paid marginally compared to other positions....quick trying to save money and either draft someone like koutu from uga, or one of the other top kickers out of college, or go sign a proven veteran

man, we just need 3 top 10 overall picks, and we'd be looking great! unsure.gif

agreed.

keep in mind that i am asking for your personal priority list for our first round pick. i am guessing that we will have the 5th pick in this draft, so it is not likely that we will get our first or second choice. i am interested in how you all feel about the draft (its strengths and weaknesses).

your priorities should reflect not only how you feel about the prospect but also what are the greatest needs of the franchise and what kind of depth there is at that particular position.

ggarcia here would be the top ten of my current draft board. unfortunately, i

think this is a down year at the top of the draft.

1) darren mcfadden

2) glenn dorsey

3) andre' woodson

4) brian brohm

5) jake long

6) matt ryan

7) sam baker

8) gosder cherilus

9) james laurinatis

10) kenny phillips

good list. i have some questions. do you think that sam baker is about 32 spots better than tony hills? is gosder cherilus that much better than richardson? do you think that laurinaitis will have a bigger impact than phillips?

i am just asking to open and expand the subject. we are still learning about these guys. it helps to hear from other fans' viewing experiences.

ggarcia, just to get in on the discussion, i think sam baker is a bit overrated. from what ive seen he has not played well this year, and his stock seems to be falling some. the same can be said for richardson. i really like tony hills, hopefully he stays in range for us to draft him with our first 2nd round pick. that might not happen though, since he projects so well to lt in the nfl.

1a. qb

1b. offensive line

.(big gap)

3. ilb

.(smaller gap)

4. power running back

5. defensive secondary (a cb to groom as hall's replacement, a solid safety)

if we trade hall after this season (a distinct possibility as hall is making himself into the type of locker room cancer that destroys teams), the cb moves to #3 next to ilb. my guess is though, hall plays one more year here, then leaves, which means we would be smart using a mid-round pick on a cb to groom for a year as his replacement.

ol is weak in that there are no true franchise ol, the best lt/rt jake long, last year would not have went till 10 to 14, he is considered about the same as brown who many believe was drafted 3 or 4 spots early at 10, and he plays rt.

qb is weak, brohm knows the petrino system, woodson and ryan are good, but they are no where near eli manning much less peyton.

my top 10 would be

1. glenn dorsey

2. darren mcfadden

3. calias campbell

4. briam brohm

5. kenny phillips

6. andre woodson

7. chris long

8. matt ryan

9. jake long

10. michael oher

1. glen dorsey

2. darren mcfadden

3. matt ryan

4. jake long

5. andre woodson

6. sedrick ellis

7. kenny phillips

outside of the top 10 range guys (or so)

1. jonathan stewart

2. james laurinaitis

3. gosder cherilus

somethin like that.

i pretty much agree with mv7... although jake long wouldnt be on my list at all. there is too much depth at ot

to be reaching for long in the top 5. outside of the top 10 i would also put in oher ot, jenkins cb and maualuga ilb.

they should all be 1st round locks come draft day...

do you think that sam baker is about 32 spots better than tony hills?

baker is the safest left tackle in this draft. he might not ever be dominant, but he's going to be a long time starter. his footwork, hands and speed are just too good.

is gosder cherilus that much better than richardson?

i posted this in pure football, but here are some nfl draft scout notes about cherilus this year if you didn't see it:

"10/15/07 - ot gosder cherilus didn't have a sparkling showing at notre dame. "i'm distressed with no. 77. he's the one who had them all," bc coach jeff jagodzinski said after his prized blocker was guilty of at least four false starts and a holding penalty.

10/08/07 - last week, the bc offensive line found the going rough against the fast and blitzing massachusetts defense, but that wasn't the case against bowling green. ot gosder cherilus and his linemates made sure ryan had all day.

10/03/07 - ot gosder cherilus is expected to follow the long line of bc offensive linemen into the nfl. he had a tough time protecting ryan's back last week as umass used all kinds of stunting defenses, sending more guys than cherilus could handle by himself.

10/01/07 - the eagles were getting beat on blitzes through most of the game and much of it came from the left side of the bc line, the side anchored by cherilus. but it came wide and was picked up when the blocks were made in the backfield.

09/04/07 - boston college offensive tackle gosder cherilus made his first career start at left tackle against wake forest after starting the past 37 consecutive on the right side. wake forest pass rushers found it a $10 cab ride around the 6-7, 315 pound cherilus, but the bc tackle didn't show the lateral quickness or balance scouts are looking for in their left tackles."

do you think that laurinaitis will have a bigger impact than phillips?

the difference is dramatic. laurinaitis strikes me as a top five pick. he's the next aj hawk type in this regard as he should be. he's averaged 10 tackles a game for a season and a half now while anchoring one of the best defenses in the country. phillips is a nice, physical player but he wouldn't be bpa over lod jr. and he's not playing at a position of need for us, either. i think he's a guy who gets drafted in the 20-25 range.

the difference is dramatic. laurinaitis strikes me as a top five pick. he's the next aj hawk type in this regard as he should be. he's averaged 10 tackles a game for a season and a half now while anchoring one of the best defenses in the country. phillips is a nice, physical player but he wouldn't be bpa over lod jr. and he's not playing at a position of need for us, either. i think he's a guy who gets drafted in the 20-25 range.

thanks for the feedback on laurinaitis. i can't say that i agree about phillips. we still need to see better play from our safeties. a combination of stone and williams would be good to try for the rest of the season, to see what we truly have. my guess is that the combination will not work out. phillips is a budding ed reed. i say this because of his off the field study habits. this kid takes his career seriously and i am guessing that he is definitely a top ten player.

thanks for the feedback on laurinaitis. i can't say that i agree about phillips. we still need to see better play from our safeties. a combination of stone and williams would be good to try for the rest of the season, to see what we truly have. my guess is that the combination will not work out. phillips is a budding ed reed. i say this because of his off the field study habits. this kid takes his career seriously and i am guessing that he is definitely a top ten player.

i agree. i will be very surprised if he makes it out of the top 10...

safeties hold a lot more value these days and that is evident of how many have gone in the 1st round over

the few years...

kenny phillips will transition well in either safety position, and i think will be a force for whoever drafts him...

i agree. i will be very surprised if he makes it out of the top 10...

safeties hold a lot more value these days and that is evident of how many have gone in the 1st round over

the few years...

kenny phillips will transition well in either safety position, and i think will be a force for whoever drafts him...

five years ago, i would have said that all safeties drop in the draft. that is no longer true. in some cases, safeties tend to go higher than projected. look at landry last draft. cb's can not press and bump like they used to. consequently, there are no "shut down" corners. not even bailey can shut down a good receiver. cb's are expected to bump quickly and shadow receivers. if they can work the receiver into the middle of the field (a la cover 2), they have done a good job. the safeties are the guys that have to be able to cover ground quickly and make the right reads.

it stands to reason that safeties are more valuable than cb's in this new nfl era.

you like calais campbell over chris long? how come? i don't know much about either, but most places have long at the top of the de class.

in point of fact, i've seen long listed #2 overall on two different draft boards i trust this week. he's a guy nobody is talking about yet that could easily wind up being bpa when we draft. and he is a pick that everybody here would love for many, many years.

well, like someone jokingly pointed out, at least we'd get some tv air time from howie wink.gif

we would be repeating the move the saints did earlier this decade when they drafted their des in the first round in 2002 and 2004. i'm not sure mckay is willing to accentuate a strength like that rather than address a negative, but here is long's draft bio if folks are interested:

chris long, de, virginia

name: chris long

college: virginia number: 91

height: 6-4 weight: 275

position: de pos2:

class/draft year: sr/2008

40 time: 4.79 40 low: 4.74 40 high: 4.87

projected round: 1 stock:

rated number 1 out of 161 de's 2 / 2298 total

combine results

pro day results

combine invite:

height: 6034

weight: 275

40 yrd dash:

20 yrd dash:

10 yrd dash:

wonderlic:

225 lb. bench reps:

vertical jump:

broad jump:

20 yrd shuttle:

3-cone drill:

dates:

height: 6034

weight: 275

40 yrd dash:

20 yrd dash:

10 yrd dash:

225 lb. bench reps:

vertical jump:

broad jump:

20 yrd shuttle:

3-cone drill:

draft scout snapshot: 12 gp; 12 gs; 57 tt, 9.5 tfl, 4.5 sk, 1 pbu, 7 qbh, 1 ff; second-team all-acc in '06. 12 gp; 12 gs; 46 tt, 10 tfl, 2 sk, 7 pbu, 26 qbh in '05. 6 gp; 0 gs; 5 tt, 2 tfl, 1 sk in '04. father, howie, was an all-american defensive end at villanova and was drafted by the oakland raiders in 1981, played in the nfl for 13 seasons and was inducted into the nfl hall of fame following seven pro bowl appearances, two defensive player of the year awards, and a super bowl ring.

overview

former nebraska star adam carriker parlayed a spectacular career at defensive end on the college level to be chosen as the 13th overall pick in the 2007 draft (st. louis). like carriker, long's consistency and versatility for the 3-4 will result in a high ranking come april. long isn't as big or strong as carriker and isn't likely to be asked to make the transition inside to defensive tackle. long is a remarkably similar player to his father, hall of fame lineman howie long. over the past two seasons, chris long has averaged 52 tackles, 9 1/2 tackles for loss, and three sacks per season despite being pitted against constant double-team blocking. despite his lack of eye-popping sack numbers, long has very good burst off the edge and can gain an instant advantage over the pass blocker. despite his initial burst, however, long isn't a game-changing pass rusher. he lacks elite acceleration and has only adequate closing speed. he does feature the strong hands and lateral quickness to make him a big-play threat even when battling superior athletes. while long may lack the athletic upside of some of his peers, he makes up for it with intangibles. his combination of technique, instincts, and effort make him one of the sure prospects of the 2008 draft and a likely first-round pick.

analysis

positives: prototype size for the defensive end position. ... experienced in both the 3-4 and 4-3 alignment. ... very good burst off the snap. good upper-body strength and use of hands to disengage from blocks. ... is a good overall athlete, but is a much better football player than athlete with good instincts and technique. ... reads the action quickly and pursues the ballcarrier relentlessly. ... versatile enough to be moved inside to defensive tackle, where his quickness and technique would help him overcome a lack of size for that position. ... durable player. has missed three games at virginia (mononucleosis in 2004). ... two-time team captain. father, howie, is hall of fame defensive end.

negatives: while he has burst off the snap, long isn't truly explosive rushing the passer off the edge. ... because of his work ethic and stellar technique, long may have already reached his maximum potential, as he isn't a spectacular natural athlete. ... lacks the speed off the edge that most 4-3 teams are looking for in a pass rusher. ... has the strength and instincts to be effective inside at tackle in the 4-3, but his lack of size is a concern. ... might be limited to the de position in a 3-4 alignment.

2006 season

second-team all-atlantic coast conference ... finalist for the dudley award as the most outstanding player in the state of virginia ... first-team all-state by the virginia sports information directors association and the roanoke times ... received the ned mcdonald award as uva's outstanding defensive player (team award), the colonel f.c. mccue award as uva's outstanding interior lineman (team award) and the joe palumbo award for self-sacrifice, dedication and enthusiasm (team award).

had a tremendous campaign ... earned second-team all-acc honors ... voted team captain despite being just a junior ... started all 12 games at defensive end ... fourth on the team with 57 tackles despite being double-teamed on virtually every play ... finished fourth among acc defensive linemen with 4.8 tackles per game ... led uva with 12 tackles for loss and 21 quarterback pressures ... finished the year with four sacks ... helped uva finish 20th in overall defense, allowing just 289.5 yards per game, the lowest by a cavalier defense since 1979 ... had season-high three tfl at east carolina ... had 10 tackles vs. western michigan and nine vs. east carolina ... played on 715 snaps, third-highest total on the defense.

received three awards at the team's annual awards banquet--ned mcdonald award as uva's top defensive player, the colonel f.c. mccue award as team's outstanding interior lineman and the joe palumbo award honoring uva player for self-sacrifice, dedication and enthusiasm ... first-team all-state by the virginia sports information directors and the roanoke times ... finalist for the dudley award, presented to top player in the state of virginia ... lettered for the third time.

2005 season

had a very productive season in his first year as a starter ... started every game ...got better by being matched up against all-american d'brickashaw ferguson during training camp and practice ... second among the team's defensive linemen in tackling with an average of 3.8 tpg ... made 10 tackles for loss, nearly a quarter of his tackles ... had at least four tackles on six occasions ... 26 quarterback hurries were by far the most on the team ... shared the team lead with marcus hamilton with seven pass break ups ... made seven tackles in his first start against western michigan with three coming in the backfield ... no uva defensive lineman has had more than seven tackles in his first start since 1987 ...three tackles, a pass break up and five pressures vs. syracuse ... four tackles, including two for loss, against duke ...six tackles, two for loss and a sack, against north carolina ...his only tackle in the win over temple was a sack ... had an outstanding game in a big win over georgia tech ... finished with three tackles and made life difficult for quarterback reggie ball with 10 quarterback pressures ...five tackles against virginia tech. was dominating, particularly in the second half, in the music city bowl win over minnesota ...made a career-high nine tackles, including one in the backfield ... lettered.

i'm not putting any juniors in this, because it can not be assumed they are leaving.

1. sam baker ot usc

2. barry richardson ot clemson

2. dennis dixon qb oregon

3. andre fluellen dt fsu

4. brandon coutu k uga

5. wallace gilberry de alabama

6. chester adams ol uga

7. carl stewart fb/rb auburn

baker seems to be the best lt in this draft. unlike jake long, there are no doubts about his ability to handle speed rushers.

richardson is a mammoth rt. he is a bulldozer in the run game.

dixon is a raw but athletic qb. his play has really improved this season, and still has lots of upside.

fluellen is an athletic pass rusher from the dt position. he could be groomed to eventually take over rod coleman's spot.

coutu has a strong, accurate leg. and for a nice change, he is under the age of 45!

gilberry adds some depth behind anderson and with abraham's injury issues one can never have enough des

adams has played og and ot. he has good size, and could add more pop in the run game than kynan forney.

stewart is a justin griffith type back. he could be the power back everyone wants.

these are just my opinions. i am sorry if you don't like them. but, you will get over it! laugh.gif

james laurinaitis is a stud mlb. through 8 games he has 64 total tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 2 ints, and 4.0 sacks. he is an urlacher clone in that he can play both the pass and run well for a mlb. i wish we had 3 first round picks and select dorsey, laurinaitis, and a top qb.

i am of the opinion that chris crocker is quietly having a good season for us. i wish he were more of a factor with takeaways, but he has fixed the majority of the blown coverage issues we had last year.

chris crocker is having a better season than the last one, but there is no impact from either of the safety positions. insert jimmy in the starting lineup to better familiarize himself with the position to gain valuable experience for next year.

1)andre woodson

2)darren mcfadden

3)brian brohm

4)jake long

any other list without those 4 players is just plain wrong.

glenn dorsey is overrated as ****.

and no way do we need to spend a pick that high on that position anyway.

franchise qb and tackle are a helluva lot harder to find. so is an elite back like mcfadden.