my mock draft

JDB2688

my final mock draft of last season

i only got one guy actually right from that mock draft, but i called the first 3 rounds by position. and you notice the hopeful pick for one of them? chris houston. i, like everyone else, didn't think he'd fall that far. i also called jimmy williams' move to free safety. i love doing these mocks drafts and i'm very happy about that final mock. hopefully i can get just a little better this season, so here we go with the first one.

i have us picking roughly 3rd overall.

1st round pick: matt ryan, qb, boston college

i'll admit i've only seen this guy play a few times and the only game i've focused on him solely is the georgia tech game. that said, i have a lot of respect for tech's zone blitzing and he absolutely destroyed them. he seemed to know exactly where the open zone was going to be and where the players were blitzing from. i like brohm for his knowledge of the system and i like woodson for his precision. however, i think they both need better offensive lines. when i watch ryan i see a quick release and very fast decision-making. when i watch brohm and woodson, i see great quarterbacks, but they seem to take a second or two longer than ryan to throw it. that spells disaster behind our line.

alternate pick: andre' woodson, qb, kentucky

2nd round pick: alex boone, ot, ohio state

this pick is extremely interchangeable. we need a franchise, high caliber offensive tackle to lock down the left side with blalock. ohio state, along with boston college, puts out some great offensive linemen and we got one last year in the 6th round in doug datish. i think datish still has potential to be a good-great center, but not one of the elite. that said, in my opinion, he'll be better than mcclure. i think boone, blalock, and datish is a great start to creating one of the better young offensive lines in the league.

alternate pick: chris williams, ot, vanderbilt

2nd round pick: matt forte, rb, tulane

1,261 yards. 13 touchdowns. 6.7 ypc. 182 receiving yards. most running backs in the nation would love to have those numbers in a season. guess what? he's got 5 games left. he's on pace for 2,162 rushing yards with 22 touchdowns. i don't know much about tulane, but i can't imagine them having the best offensive line in the world. the best part about it is this guy's physical stats match exactly what petrino wants: 6'2" 223. i expect his stock to soar once everyone becomes aware of this kid. his numbers are astronomic and he's got loads of potential. if enough juniors declare he could slip a bit, but i wouldn't take the chance on him lasting past the 2nd round. matt ryan, matt forte, jerious norwood, roddy white, laurent robinson, and an offensive line consisting of boone, blalock, and datish is a great start to rebuilding this offense under offensive guru (still, in my opinion) bobby petrino.

alternate pick: eric young, og, tennessee

3rd round pick: jordan grimes, og, purdue

i know i've devoted the entire first day to offense, but we seriously need some help. i have much more faith in our defense to stop the other guys a few times than i do our offense to put up more points than the other guys. jordan grimes is a big body (6'3" 325) like blalock, but he could take a little while to be rotated into the starting position. this pick gives us 4 young guys (boone, blalock, datish, grimes) to build around. i also think foster could make a pretty good rt down the line, so we could be looking at a much improved offensive line if we can get a few guys in place. forney has regressed the past few years, so i think replacing him and gandy are the biggest concerns on the line. forney doesn't seem to fit what we need, but grimes is the big guy petrino wants.

alternate pick: vince hall, mlb, virginia tech

that's all i'm going to do for now until we start to get a better picture of where the players are rated, but i'd be satisfied with an all offensive first day. we need offensive line help which i addressed, we got a franchise quarterback who can take a little while to learn, and we got the big, productive guy to pound the rock. our offense would be in much better shape if we draft these guys.

i like the draft, but i dont think we should take matt ryan at pick 3...

i would be looking to trade down a few spots to take him.

i like the ot/og picks, but like you say they are interchangeable and we just gotta pray mckay/petrino

get us the right ones!!

do you think matt forte will go this high? i have seen mocks with him in the fifth round... huh.gif

i like the draft, but i dont think we should take matt ryan at pick 3...

i would be looking to trade down a few spots to take him.

i like the ot/og picks, but like you say they are interchangeable and we just gotta pray mckay/petrino

get us the right ones!!

do you think matt forte will go this high? i have seen mocks with him in the fifth round... huh.gif

it depends on his combine, more than likely. i don't see him falling out of the first day with that kind of production and size, though. jonathan stewart is one of the only other backs above 220 in this draft, so unless he falls to the 2nd round, we have to make sure we can get this guy unless we find a power runner in free agency. remember, norwood lasted until the third round, there's nothing stopping us from striking gold again and getting another great back in rounds 2-3. scott wright has him ranked 99th out of 100 seniors, so my rating might be way off, but i don't see how you can't like that size with that insane amount of production.

and as for ryan, i think a lot of the quarterback rankings are going to depend on the senior bowl. jay cutler, who i wish the falcons had very badly, performed excellently during the senior bowl and he's becoming a great quarterback. if ryan steps up and outperforms woodson and brohm, i think 3rd overall is about the value for him.

it depends on his combine, more than likely. i don't see him falling out of the first day with that kind of production and size, though. jonathan stewart is one of the only other backs above 220 in this draft, so unless he falls to the 2nd round, we have to make sure we can get this guy unless we find a power runner in free agency. remember, norwood lasted until the third round, there's nothing stopping us from striking gold again and getting another great back in rounds 2-3. scott wright has him ranked 99th out of 100 seniors, so my rating might be way off, but i don't see how you can't like that size with that insane amount of production.

and as for ryan, i think a lot of the quarterback rankings are going to depend on the senior bowl. jay cutler, who i wish the falcons had very badly, performed excellently during the senior bowl and he's becoming a great quarterback. if ryan steps up and outperforms woodson and brohm, i think 3rd overall is about the value for him.

i wished we had jay cutler also... he would be a perfect fit for this scheme, good arm and accuracy and he is pretty

mobile aswell... he's gonna be a good one thats for sure.

lets hope he stay around the 99 mark then... would be nice to get our pb in the 3rd...

i wished we had jay cutler also... he would be a perfect fit for this scheme, good arm and accuracy and he is pretty

mobile aswell... he's gonna be a good one thats for sure.

lets hope he stay around the 99 mark then... would be nice to get our pb in the 3rd...

if he falls to the 3rd, i'd change the pick to eric young or jonathan goff. we really need a middle linebacker, but we have so many needs it's impossible to fix them all in one offseason. i think we should build the line and grab a quarterback that can sit and learn while the rookie running back, whose transition is much easier, can run behind the new and improved line. by the time the year after rolls around, the running back and offensive line all have experience to go along with roddy and robinson.

in a perfect world, anyways.